Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By gamerguru100
Member since 2009 • 12718 Posts

Which one do you like more?

I'm on the fence with this one. I like the variety of rifles in V2 (Springfield M1903, Mosin-Nagant, Gewehr 43, SVT-40, Kar98k, M1 Carbine, Lee-Enfield, M1 Garand, and Type 99). You can get several kills over 200 meters. Stealth can be tough if you get caught, but I'm not much of a stealth guy myself, so no biggie for me. :P

Improvements could have been made in stealth for players interested in that play style. The AI could have been better. Enemies don't take cover; they just jerk off in the open waiting to get shot in the head most of the time. Fuel caps on tanks can be a pain in the ass to hit without tactical assistance sometimes. Some nitpicking here, but the scope on the SVT-40 sucks donkey balls. The scope is so small that any target over 125-150 meters away is out of range unless you can aim high enough outside the mil-dots to hit and get lucky. And was the M1 Carbine really used as a sniper rifle during World War II? It seems more fitted for shorter range combat. Funnily enough though, it probably has an effective range of at least 200 meters in the hands of a good shooter in real life.

As for Sniper Elite 3, we got a better stealth system, but it seems forced to a point. You might get the feeling that you're playing the game "wrong" if you're not being stealthy. I wanted to get all the collectibles and got them via help from YouTube. :P I wasn't too interested in getting all the gold bars and wine bottles in V2. I like that there are optional objectives that add to the length of the missions. Rifle and scope customization is a definite plus. Stealth kills are way more varied. Blowing up vehicles is more realistic since you can now take aim at fuel tanks and engines instead of crappy little caps.

You might be thinking that I'm leaning toward SE3, but the seemingly forced stealth got really boring and I just decided to go loud most of the time. Sound masking isn't available everywhere, which means you either go loud or play Welrod Elite 3. Also, I found that some of the sniper nests weren't really that convenient. By the time I got to them, I probably wiped out half the enemy force. And most of your enemies are within SMG and pistol range, so you could probably go most of the game just doing takedowns, Welrod head shots, and some close range SMG combat.

Lastly, I'd like to say that I wish both these games had more shots taking place in the 400-700 meter range. Using a sniper rifle withing 100 meters is overkill, and snipers in real life are trained to take down targets as far as 1000 meters and over. It would also be nice if you could get more loot off bodies. Apparently the German army in 1940s were outfitted with three spare MP40 bullets per soldier. The developers probably did that because they want players to be stealthy, but still, they fire all the bullets they want until you kill them, then they only have about four or five bullets for you to pick up. Extending the range would also make the bullet drop in these games more realistic. I'm pretty sure you don't need to compensate for bullet drop to get a head shot at 150 meters in real life. I've seen a guy on YouTube take a 100 yard shot with M1911 pistol and hit the target in the first shot. Come on, Rebellion, extend the range in your games.

So I'd say I'm on the fence for these two games. There are characteristics that I like and dislike in both games, so I'll just say I enjoy both games for the most part.

That is all. :)