SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#401 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

the decline of the arcades had nothing to do with thbat. the reason the arcades declined as because home consolkes had started to surpass actual arcade hardware technology. that and online gaming meant in the west at least the market for arcades was gone. I still mis it every day

Jag85

Consoles couldn't surpass the arcades, because the arcades were like PCs: they could always be upgraded. Nevertheless, by the time the Dreamcast came along, consoles could produce accurate enough arcade conversions that the arcades were no longer seen as necessary. And to make it worse, PCs also had the ability to continuously upgrade, making the arcades redundant. And like you mentioned, the rise of online gaming also ended up becoming a replacement for the kind of social gaming that the arcades were known for, though social arcade gaming is still alive and well in Japan.

that doesn't matter. arcades could be upgradable but what;'s the point when the whole graphics revolution was behind us. it's been behind us for 10 years, rthe bets looking games on pc look barely better than good looking ps3 or xbox360 games. the differencesd are marginal to the normal eye

#402 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

I don't believe that is true. Street Fighter was my favorite game back in that time and I swear it drops some animation, or the timing is quite different.

Heirren

well the video review you were linked to (and likely did not watch) does state the SNES version has some slowdown problems

though, I still prefer the SNES version

I did watch it. While I don't like his tone, I usually think he does a good job. Here though, he mentions contrast/saturation as if he has no clue what he's talking about. A lot of times contrast will be boosted to hide a lack of detail, which is often the case in the Genesis version. Bringing up color saturation is rather pointless, or pointless if not done properly.

I remember playing the genesis game and thinking how something was just off, gameplay wise. As if there was slightly less animation which threw off a lot of the timings.

"and likely did not watch"...:lol:

wow, you really are a sega hater aren't you. whenever something positive is said about genesis you come out with most ridiuclous and pointless arguments. joke account or 2nd account of banjo?

your memory seem also very off. just like your pathetic argument with golden axe in which you tried to defend it at all costs.

#403 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

the decline of the arcades had nothing to do with thbat. the reason the arcades declined as because home consolkes had started to surpass actual arcade hardware technology. that and online gaming meant in the west at least the market for arcades was gone. I still mis it every day

bultje112

Consoles couldn't surpass the arcades, because the arcades were like PCs: they could always be upgraded. Nevertheless, by the time the Dreamcast came along, consoles could produce accurate enough arcade conversions that the arcades were no longer seen as necessary. And to make it worse, PCs also had the ability to continuously upgrade, making the arcades redundant. And like you mentioned, the rise of online gaming also ended up becoming a replacement for the kind of social gaming that the arcades were known for, though social arcade gaming is still alive and well in Japan.

that doesn't matter. arcades could be upgradable but what;'s the point when the whole graphics revolution was behind us. it's been behind us for 10 years, rthe bets looking games on pc look barely better than good looking ps3 or xbox360 games. the differencesd are marginal to the normal eye

what? :|

that is really not true

Crysis and Arma 3 on the PC look miles ahead of anything on consoles

even the total War games which are strategy games, are starting to look better then console games

Hell, Compare the latest alan Wake PC screens to the 360 version of Alan Wake

and that's not even bringing into account the increase in resolution, the 60 frames per second or the 16x AA

#404 Posted by Heirren (16505 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

well the video review you were linked to (and likely did not watch) does state the SNES version has some slowdown problems

though, I still prefer the SNES version

bultje112

I did watch it. While I don't like his tone, I usually think he does a good job. Here though, he mentions contrast/saturation as if he has no clue what he's talking about. A lot of times contrast will be boosted to hide a lack of detail, which is often the case in the Genesis version. Bringing up color saturation is rather pointless, or pointless if not done properly.

I remember playing the genesis game and thinking how something was just off, gameplay wise. As if there was slightly less animation which threw off a lot of the timings.

"and likely did not watch"...:lol:

wow, you really are a sega hater aren't you. whenever something positive is said about genesis you come out with most ridiuclous and pointless arguments. joke account or 2nd account of banjo?

your memory seem also very off. just like your pathetic argument with golden axe in which you tried to defend it at all costs.

Sega is my second favorite next to Nintendo. I give my reasoning for the things I say. There isn't a problem with that, and I'm not trying to push buttons. I still stand by what I said in regards to Golden Axe.

#405 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

Heirren, the problem is, your opinion kind of sucks, especially about Golden Axe. But yeah the first games of the Sega Genesis were not the highest quality, but as time went on the quality sky-rocketed. Play the first Streets of Rage, then play the second game.

#406 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Consoles couldn't surpass the arcades, because the arcades were like PCs: they could always be upgraded. Nevertheless, by the time the Dreamcast came along, consoles could produce accurate enough arcade conversions that the arcades were no longer seen as necessary. And to make it worse, PCs also had the ability to continuously upgrade, making the arcades redundant. And like you mentioned, the rise of online gaming also ended up becoming a replacement for the kind of social gaming that the arcades were known for, though social arcade gaming is still alive and well in Japan.

rilpas

that is really not true

even the total War games which are strategy games, are starting to look better then console games

and that's not even bringing into account the increase in resolution, the 60 frames per second or the 16x AA

Off-topic but Alan Wake on the PC is really the same as on the 360 just the resolution is much higher (1080p and above vs 576p-something; it's sub HD on the 360 basically).

Crysis and BF3 do look better on the PC but he does have a point in saying that the difference isn't that notable to the average gamer.

#407 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Consoles couldn't surpass the arcades, because the arcades were like PCs: they could always be upgraded. Nevertheless, by the time the Dreamcast came along, consoles could produce accurate enough arcade conversions that the arcades were no longer seen as necessary. And to make it worse, PCs also had the ability to continuously upgrade, making the arcades redundant. And like you mentioned, the rise of online gaming also ended up becoming a replacement for the kind of social gaming that the arcades were known for, though social arcade gaming is still alive and well in Japan.

rilpas

that is really not true

you don't understand again.

the difference between crysis on pc and halo on 360 is nothing compared to the difference between ayrton senna super monaco grand prix on genesis and daytona usa in arcades back then. back in 1998 no football game looked anything close to virtua syriker 2. also not on pc.

and amybe in your eyes the difference in games graphics wise is now huge but 99% of the people can barely tell the difference trust me

#408 Posted by Heirren (16505 posts) -

But yeah the first games of the Sega Genesis were not the highest quality, but as time went on the quality sky-rocketed. Play the first Streets of Rage, then play the second game.

mahlasor

That was sort of the original point, that there was an initial batch of early genesis games that don't feel as expressive to the 16bit era as most others.

#409 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

that is really not true

the difference between crysis on pc and halo on 360 is nothing compared to the difference between ayrton senna super monaco grand prix on genesis and daytona usa in arcades back then. back in 1998 no football game looked anything close to virtua syriker 2. also not on pc.

and amybe in your eyes the difference in games graphics wise is now huge but 99% of the people can barely tell the difference trust me

Well, Daytona USA was also literally light-years ahead of anything else when it came out, technically. I mean, the Japanese version came out late 1993 and what was the most impressive PC and console game back then? Doom and Star Fox which looked like arcade games from a decade ago or early 32-bit games at best.

I think the problem with modern graphics is that we kinda reached a peak where graphics aren't getting much better, visually. Sure, Crysis on the PC blows away every other console game, technically, but there'll still be many people who'll simply prefer the looks of Uncharted over it.

A game that would compare to Daytona USA back then would look like this today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgS67BwPfFY

Yeah, looks nice but I don't think it looks THAT better from other modern games (even if it technically obliterates them).

Next step would be Avatar graphics but current hardware simply isn't capable of it.

#410 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

But yeah the first games of the Sega Genesis were not the highest quality, but as time went on the quality sky-rocketed. Play the first Streets of Rage, then play the second game.

Heirren

That was sort of the original point, that there was an initial batch of early genesis games that don't feel as expressive to the 16bit era as most others.

Are you saying SMW looked like a 16-bit game leap when it came out? How do you guys makes those laughing similes? :)
#411 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Another48hours

Are you saying SMW looked like a 16-bit game leap when it came out? How do you guys makes those laughing similes? :)

Compared to the Super Mario Bros. games? Heck yeah SMW looks like a big leap forward.

#412 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Emerald_Warrior

Compared to the Super Mario Bros. games? Heck yeah SMW looks like a big leap forward.

I also think so. While the graphics in SMW may look simplistic, it simply does more than any NES game ever did. A good proof of this is the pirate NES port which, altho interesting, simply does not compare to the real thing.

#413 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

bultje112

that is really not true

alright, yeah between consoles and arcades it used to be bigger back in the day

though there's still a pretty big diference between consoles and PC's these days :P

but yes, not as much as arcades back in the day

#414 Posted by Comduter (2148 posts) -

I always prefered the Genesis because it seemed to have more teen and adult-oriented games than what the SNES had.

#415 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

It seems the opposition always does that, Sony especially capitalised on adult oriented games, etc. Not sure but it does not work that way no more. Maybe it got saturated in due time.

#416 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Emerald_Warrior

I was talking Nes/MS in general. I am sure people had more than SM in their Nes collection.
#417 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

Great, someone made an whole new topic about this, except it is about why the Genesis is better, instead of both ways. Lets keep it here!

#418 Posted by Kaszilla (1718 posts) -

Great, someone made an whole new topic about this, except it is about why the Genesis is better, instead of both ways. Lets keep it here!

mahlasor
Copy cats
#419 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

Naaa, it was more of a one sided topic, where the tc claims one is better, well going by this poll, the Sega Genesis is better. Of course the secret is a lot of games do not actually represent the potential of the Sega Genesis. For example, why didnt it get a Wolfenstein 3d? Play Bloodshot and you will see.

edit: i kind of see where he is coming from. I noticed that Sonic 2 looks a hell of a lot more detailed than Super Mario World. Genesis had more textured graphics. Robocop Vs the Terminator shows this.:cool:

#420 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

alright, yeah between consoles and arcades it used to be bigger back in the day

though there's still a pretty big diference between consoles and PC's these days :P

but yes, not as much as arcades back in the day

rilpas

Well, at the least, I'd say the difference between PC's and consoles today is bigger than it was back then. It's just that the arcades (especially the Sega arcade systems) were a whole different beast that always dwarfed home systems... up until the Dreamcast, that is.
I was talking Nes/MS in general. I am sure people had more than SM in their Nes collection.Another48hours
In all honesty, Super Mario World on the SNES barely looked any better than Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the 8-bit Sega Master System, even though Miracle World came five years before Mario World. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Ninja Gaiden on the SMS looked even better than SMW.

#421 Posted by Heirren (16505 posts) -

In all honesty, Super Mario World on the SNES barely looked any better than Alex Kidd in Miracle World on the 8-bit Sega Master System, even though Miracle World came five years before Mario World. In fact, I'd go as far as saying that Ninja Gaiden on the SMS looked even better than SMW.

Jag85

That is crazy talk!

#422 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Heirren

That is crazy talk!

Indeed it is. SMW looks far better, graphically. Now if we're talking the styIe of the art, that's entirely a matter of opinion.

#423 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Master System had nice graphics for a 8-bit console but people like to exaggerate for some reason.

And yes, Sonic 2 on the MD looks and runs better than SMW. But compare it to something like DKC 2 on the SNES and I believe the SNES takes the graphical prize.

Also Genesis' texturing capabilites were hardly better than SNES'. The first console with enough power for fully textured 3D environments with decent framerates was the Atari Jaguar (altho 3DO and 32X were actually better in polygon 3D graphics).

#424 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Heirren

That is crazy talk!

just like your golden axe bs. I got to love how people are now beating you with your own game.

#425 Posted by Heirren (16505 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

bultje112

That is crazy talk!

just like your golden axe bs. I got to love how people are now beating you with your own game.

Explain to m what you think my tak on that was, please.

#426 Posted by Jag85 (4365 posts) -

That is crazy talk!

Heirren

Like I said, it was just an honest opinion. SMW may have looked like a generation leap compared to the NES, but it only looks like a slight improvement over the SMS. Maybe it does have something to do with SMW's simplistic art style, which didn't really showcase the SNES's power, whereas the art style used by Ninja Gaiden on the SMS was a better showcase for that system.

Master System had nice graphics for a 8-bit console but people like to exaggerate for some reason.

And yes, Sonic 2 on the MD looks and runs better than SMW. But compare it to something like DKC 2 on the SNES and I believe the SNES takes the graphical prize.

Also Genesis' texturing capabilites were hardly better than SNES'. The first console with enough power for fully textured 3D environments with decent framerates was the Atari Jaguar (altho 3DO and 32X were actually better in polygon 3D graphics).

nameless12345

Actually, the 3DO predates the Jaguar. Also, the earlier FM Towns Marty was also capable of textured 3D graphics. I also think the 4th-gen Neo Geo might also be capable of textured 3D graphics considering its raw power, though I can't think of any 3D games produced for it.

#427 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

That is crazy talk!

Jag85

Like I said, it was just an honest opinion. SMW may have looked like a generation leap compared to the NES, but it only looks like a slight improvement over the SMS. Maybe it does have something to do with SMW's simplistic art style, which didn't really showcase the SNES's power, whereas the art style used by Ninja Gaiden on the SMS was a better showcase for that system.

nameless12345

Actually, the 3DO predates the Jaguar. Also, the earlier FM Towns Marty was also capable of textured 3D graphics. I also think the 4th-gen Neo Geo might also be capable of textured 3D graphics considering its raw power, though I can't think of any 3D games produced for it.

The Neo-Geo can render Polygons, but the Polygon objects must be surrounded by 2D objects. You can't per say, have a 3D rendered Ship or Fighter, and surround it by a 3D rendered Background, with 3D fac features, with a 3D rendered floor, the surrounding objects must be 2D. Failure to do so results in slow down games. SMW didn't look impressive at all considering what system(s) you had and what games you played before and after its time.However, I do not agree there are NES games that look better than Golden Axe for example are even close. SMS maybe, NES, no. Heck every other system I could potentially believe that.
#428 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

Woot, Genesis won the thread. Genesis does what Nintendont! Which is kind of obvious.

#429 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17054 posts) -

Maybe I should hang out in the Legacy Board more often, because it seems we got some smart gamers here. To me, the Genesis just annihilates the SNES in every category aside from maybe rpgs, but since I don't even care about them, it's a slam dunk, boomshakalaka style for the Genesis. Sonic, Streets of Rage, M.U.S.H.A, Herzog Zwei, I mean come on, that's just not even fair. :cool:

#430 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

Maybe I should hang out in the Legacy Board more often, because it seems we got some smart gamers here. To me, the Genesis just annihilates the SNES in every category aside from maybe rpgs, but since I don't even care about them, it's a slam dunk, boomshakalaka style for the Genesis. Sonic, Streets of Rage, M.U.S.H.A, Herzog Zwei, I mean come on, that's just not even fair. :cool:

Renegade_Fury
It's soound in the more popular games is just down right embarrassing thought, and that' like the number 3 top flaw with the system. I could argue the Turbo has better sound than over half the library, and then again, it seem over half the library doesn't know how to make music for the system and the other crap load don't. A comparison of Turbo and Sega sounds: Aero Blasters. (Air Buster is Aero blaster, they just changed the name.) This is one of the game where I question if people knew how to use the Genesis' supposed :Blast Processing_ yet can't handle some speed areas of this game?? Music comparison: Turbo Aeroblaster stage 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bfOn2ry5AlM Mega Drive/Genesis Aero Blaster stage one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bfOn2ry5AlM Also the cut content on the mega Drive makes no sense unless Sonic uses a trick to cover how fast he runs across the screen, because apparently, the Gen chokes and can't handle some areas of Aero Blasters. But other than Sound with most of its games, I can say the Gen and SNES are pretty much neck and Neck with the Genesis slightly ahead only because of a few efforts and an earlier release as the SNES stormed with a ton of games that weren't bad way to fast in large numbers. The both at the same time, killed themselves with crap at the end.
#431 Posted by Renegade_Fury (17054 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Another48hours

It's soound in the more popular games is just down right embarrassing thought, and that' like the number 3 top flaw with the system. I could argue the Turbo has better sound than over half the library, and then again, it seem over half the library doesn't know how to make music for the system and the other crap load don't. A comparison of Turbo and Sega sounds: Aero Blasters. (Air Buster is Aero blaster, they just changed the name.) This is one of the game where I question if people knew how to use the Genesis' supposed :Blast Processing_ yet can't handle some speed areas of this game?? Music comparison: Turbo Aeroblaster stage 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bfOn2ry5AlM Mega Drive/Genesis Aero Blaster stage one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bfOn2ry5AlM Also the cut content on the mega Drive makes no sense unless Sonic uses a trick to cover how fast he runs across the screen, because apparently, the Gen chokes and can't handle some areas of Aero Blasters. But other than Sound with most of its games, I can say the Gen and SNES are pretty much neck and Neck with the Genesis slightly ahead only because of a few efforts and an earlier release as the SNES stormed with a ton of games that weren't bad way to fast in large numbers. The both at the same time, killed themselves with crap at the end.

Not sure why you're trying to write a thesis for me, but sorry, I absolutely LOVE the sound of Genesis' games. I know some people like to hate on it due to technical deficiencies, but for me, I look at is as a style of music. On the flips side for me, SNES games sound horribly bland compared to the awesomely retro and hardcore soundtracks of the Genesis. Honestly, I'd take one Technosoft piece over anything the SNES could produce.

#432 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

Renegade_Fury

Not sure why you're trying to write a thesis for me, but sorry, I absolutely LOVE the sound of Genesis' games. I know some people like to hate on it due to technical deficiencies, but for me, I look at is as a style of music. On the flips side for me, SNES games sound horribly bland compared to the awesomely retro and hardcore soundtracks of the Genesis. Honestly, I'd take one Technosoft piece over anything the SNES could produce.

Not really, I was just responding in general. I like the Genesis style to, but the background TV static sounds make it so listening to it over and over get repetitive. When it comes to SNES sound, the best ones are the games that aren't popular. They sound empty. Games like Brainlord have good soundtracks.
#433 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

Renegade_Fury

Just bought Herzog Zwei recently:cool:

#434 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Jag85

Yea, 3DO was even better than Jaguar in 3D (altho looking at that sloppy Doom port one probably wouldn't guess that).

#435 Posted by Valknut4 (392 posts) -

I really cannot believe your taking 46 peoples opinions over the thousands on Tas or speed demos... Youtube still is the best way to go reguardless of the country to country basis. 300+ million plus people > anyones opinion in here, because the people in here are forced to pick a side. Those people are merly looking for what they want.

Unbiased, non multi account, users. Its just simple common sense.

#436 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

I really cannot believe your taking 46 peoples opinions over the thousands on Tas or speed demos... Youtube still is the best way to go reguardless of the country to country basis. 300+ million plus people > anyones opinion in here, because the people in here are forced to pick a side. Those people are merly looking for what they want.

Valknut4
If we though that way we wouldn't have any debate threads at all here.
#437 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Dudersaper, what is your avatar? To me it looks like the old-school styIe Undertaker, with a white feather boa around his neck, and a bird wearing a tie sitting on his shoulder.

#438 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
It's Rob Lucci from One Piece. :P I had never noticed, but now that you mention it, it does reming me of Undertaker :lol:
#439 Posted by CDuG (1946 posts) -

Always thought it looked like Undertaker too but I tend to keep my wrestling comments to myself so I don't turn every topic into a flame war with me on defense lol

I don't know why someone keeps talking about youtube speedruns. Nobody cares. Most people who play Gen are probably just--playing their Gen. Not fapping over someone else playing Nintendo-FAST! That sounds very boring. Now I'm partial to Sega for sure. But I like the debate and seeing both sides. Thinking you can just say "look at youtube" and we should all just gasp and thank you for ending our discussion with your totally relevant information -- well that's just ignorant and is why no one is taking you seriously.

#440 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Yea, 3DO was even better than Jaguar in 3D (altho looking at that sloppy Doom port one probably wouldn't guess that).

The 3Do does not beat the Jag in 3D. Do you realize how unnecessarily complicated the Jag is? You can't just port games too it. 3DO however, much easier to use. Also, expensive dev kids.
#441 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

Valknut4
What is this?All you're telling me is that SNES games lack strategy or challenge and you can beat them very fast. Your speed run post is invalid.
#442 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Valknut4"]

Another48hours

What is this?All you're telling me is that SNES games lack strategy or challenge and you can beat them very fast. Your speed run post is invalid.

I'm pretty sure he meant that you can tell which system is the most popular by seeing the views on videos on YouTube. And that the opinions expressed by the poll here pale in comparison to the number of people watching videos on YouTube.

Except the vote wasn't asked on YouTube, it was asked to GameSpot Legacy Board users. So it's really a moot point.

#443 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
And even so, saying that is like saying Justin Bieber is better than Iron Maiden because he has more views. Even stuff people dislike get views, so that is a very unrealiable way to see which is prefered.
#444 Posted by Valknut4 (392 posts) -

You cannot use the justin bieber arguement because the majority of people are activly seeking this out on their own, their not 16 year old kids bombarded with advertisements on TV or links from friends. This is like saying Black Sabbath is better then Iron maiden because they are. Both metal bands from a similair era with one far out doing the other. Its not opinon either because music reviewers of that time would 100% agree.

There was no poll in the beggining, so the point was not moot, it was made moot because I provided a large group of people already thought the SNES was better. I really couldn't careless which one 40 people on this board think is the best, because the 40 people on this board are likly 25 people plus multiple troll accounts.

The reason people look back at games like Earth bound Super mario world an Mario Kart is because there memorable. The reason more Snes games are speed run is becasue there is more game worth running.Hell some of the best speed runs are the RPG's that are a 6 plus hour speed run.

Really you cannot say SNES games lack stratagy when Sonic (the poster child of the system) is 90% running right an finishing the level as fast as possible. seeking out emeralds isnt near the complexity of Super metroids hidden upgrades, or even Super mario worlds secret stages.

#445 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

There was no poll in the beggining, so the point was not moot, it was made moot because I provided a large group of people already thought the SNES was better. I really couldn't careless which one 40 people on this board think is the best, because the 40 people on this board are likly 25 people plus multiple troll accounts.Valknut4

so anyone who prefers the sega genesis is a troll? :lol:

oh valknut, everytime you post I see comedy gold

The reason people look back at games like Earth bound Super mario world an Mario Kart is because there memorable. The reason more Snes games are speed run is becasue there is more game worth running.Hell some of the best speed runs are the RPG's that are a 6 plus hour speed run.Valknut4

or maybe it's because the SNES sold more?

Really you cannot say SNES games lack stratagy when Sonic (the poster child of the system) is 90% running right an finishing the level as fast as possible. seeking out emeralds isnt near the complexity of Super metroids hidden upgrades, or even Super mario worlds secret stages.

Valknut4

so one game equals the entire genesis library? nice logic there

#446 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

You cannot use the justin bieber arguement because the majority of people are activly seeking this out on their own, their not 16 year old kids bombarded with advertisements on TV or links from friends. This is like saying Black Sabbath is better then Iron maiden because they are. Both metal bands from a similair era with one far out doing the other. Its not opinon either because music reviewers of that time would 100% agree.

There was no poll in the beggining, so the point was not moot, it was made moot because I provided a large group of people already thought the SNES was better. I really couldn't careless which one 40 people on this board think is the best, because the 40 people on this board are likly 25 people plus multiple troll accounts.

The reason people look back at games like Earth bound Super mario world an Mario Kart is because there memorable. The reason more Snes games are speed run is becasue there is more game worth running.Hell some of the best speed runs are the RPG's that are a 6 plus hour speed run.

Valknut4

I'm not saying any is better than the other, I'm saying using views or reviews isn't a very reliable way of saying which is better. Because lots of things people hate get tons of views, and lots of things that lots of people hate get good reviews, like COD, it gets good reviews but you see tons of people saying it's a bad game (even if alot do say it's good too).

And if you couldn't care less about the opinion of the 40 voters here, I really don't know why you are here at all, these debates are to see what is prefered HERE, by the people here. People here share their opinions based on their experience and what they played and prefered, not what they read in reviews.

Also, assuming half of the voters are trolls when your prefered system isn't winning is a real Banjo move, don't do it man, isn't cool (or right). :P

#447 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

Damn, I did not know Justin Bieber is better than ACDC!

#448 Posted by Heirren (16505 posts) -

mahlasor

That makes no sense, if you are referring to the youtube argument. ACDC is an old band--the people that listened to this band back in that time probably don't even know what youtube is.

#449 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

And even so, saying that is like saying Justin Bieber is better than Iron Maiden because he has more views. Even stuff people dislike get views, so that is a very unrealiable way to see which is prefered.Dudersaper
He also gets the most dislikes though.

Valknut4

Yet nobody brought Earth Bound when it came out, and SMW was bundled. but that's why people remember them. Also, judging from Beiber dislikes on youtube, you have no idea what you're talking about. And yet, you can't actually always just run right, and even though Sonci zooms through stages, he takes more effort to beat than over half the Speed runs. Speed-runs are this: HEY GUYS! I CAN BEAT THIS GAME SUPER FAST BECAUSE IT LACKS CHALLENGE, and ILLUSIONS US THAT ITS A LONG GAME USING FILLER!!!! Congratulations, you make no sense. I also like how speed runs of every other 4th gen consoles including Nec, SNK, etc, all have longer speed runs thatn SNES games, so if I use your stupid logic, SNES games are **** that are trytng to trick you and shant be played. It also is even FUNNIER that in the U.S. the Genesis was more popular anyway, so the 40 people your talking about are more than the 3 your talking about using your same dumb logic.

#450 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

Heirren

That makes no sense, if you are referring to the youtube argument. ACDC is an old band--the people that listened to this band back in that time probably don't even know what youtube is.

It has nothing to do with time periods, if you do not get the analogy, then I do not know what to think. The point is majority preference does not convey moral value, or in this case quality.