SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#251 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -
Lol why does this site say EW posts and he never does?
#252 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

I can see my post.

#253 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

I see it, for the Famicom. That's the Japanese version. So it never did come out on the NES.

Emerald_Warrior

Toploader import.

Okay, but it still never did come out on NES.

isn't the NES and the famicom the same console hardware wise?
#254 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -

post.

Emerald_Warrior
I already posted what are you talking about? What was your response because I still can't see it and I logged out and logged back in.
#255 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -
[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] Toploader import.rilpas

Oh wait I see your response quoted here, it was officially released for the Toploader just wasn't in english. Also the NES can run games faster than the Famicom, but buy faster I am speaking about a totally different meaning.
#256 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] Toploader import.rilpas

Techinically, yes. Realistically, no. You can't play a Famicom cart on an NES because they are totally different shapes. Regardless, my question was whether it was released on the NES, which it wasn't.

#257 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Techinically, yes. Realistically, no. You can't play a Famicom cart on an NES because they are totally different shapes. Regardless, my question was whether it was released on the NES, which it wasn't.

I think you can on a top loader

#258 Posted by Valknut4 (403 posts) -

I really don't how people are supposed to prove anything in this thread. Personal opinion means 0, reviews mean 0, public opinion means 0, selective group info means 0, The amount of people who bought what console means 0, the people who still play these consoles mean 0, the fact 1 system still has games regarded as some of the best of all time E.g FF6 Chrono trigger Super Metroid Link to the Past means 0.

There is no room for discussion am I right?

#259 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

SNES sound chip was more "childish" ? Now I have heard everything :lol:

SNES had easily better graphics than MD/Genesis because it had a larger color palette and hardware support for scaling/rotation effects (i.e. "Mode 7") as well as a more advanced sound chip. The only thing the MD had over it was a faster main processor but that could be compensated with add-on chips on the SNES (such as DSP, SA-1, Super FX, ect.). As far as arcade games go - the TG-16 ports of Afterburner, OutRun and Space Harrier are actually better than the MD ones altho it's a little older system and generally seen as less capable. And I'm pretty sure SNES got it's fair share of "creative" games as well.

Heirren

I think I know what he is referring to. The very first model had a crispness to the audio. Perhaps the output frequency was a little bit higher, i don't know.

Also, you say easily better graphics, but then there are cases like Earthworm Jim, Aladdin, Lion King, and just about all of those "animated" type games. Someone else pointed out the EA games running smoother, and that is also true for the most part.

Those were MD ports (except Aladdin which is different on SNES). Earthworm Jim 2 looked (and sounded) better on SNES.

#260 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

I feel sorry for anyone argueing with a guy whose name has the word "nut," in it. His argument was completely fallacious. Look the Genesis has a more speed, it was made to play arcade-like games. I think the Genesis attracted far more creative developers, games like MUSHA, Earthworm Jim, and Toejam & Earl were all on the Genesis. Yes Earthwrom Jim was ported the SNES, which I tried, and it was fail. One thing I notice is the Genesis had a more mature sound to its game, or lower tone, the Super Nintendo was more childish in its sound board.

Emerald_Warrior

The Genesis doesn't actually have "more speed". The whole idea of the "Blast Processing" (which I'm assuming is why you think the Genesis has more speed) was nothng more than a marketing word. There's no such thing as Blast Processing. Also the sound board for the SNES is actually superior to the Genesis' soundboard. I can see someone preferring the sound on a Genesis, though. I didn't. There are exceptions, but a lot of games sounded very similar sounding on the Genesis, IMO. And I have to ask, how is Earthworm Jim on the SNES a fail? You don't like sharper graphics?

However I can agree that the Genesis did seem to attract more creative game developers. I remember the early Electronic Arts games, in particular, standing out with creative outings like Jungle Strike and Road Rash, as well as many of Sega's own first-party titles.

Personally, I think it's worth owning both systems. The SNES and the Genesis are 2 of the greatest and most reliable consoles ever made. They're also cheap and easy to find and collect for.

the genesis had a lot more speed. it's processor was faster a lot than the snes one. the snes one was barely any faster than the nes processor. sega has always had the greatest r&d when it came to developping consoles. only the saturn was not due to interverence of the outside. the genesis is no exception it was the greatest hardware money/quality wise you could have thanks also to sega's incredible arcade experience. the snes had a better soundchip on paper but again this was on paper in in reality not so much. sports games, shooters, excelled on the genesis and these are games you still like to pick up and play lots of times unlike rpg's

#261 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Someone else pointed out the EA games running smoother, and that is also true for the most part.

Heirren

Most of the games i've tried run smoother, especially shoot 'em ups which are a pleasure on the eye due to them being very fluid. SNES had better graphics and worse speed, wile the Genesis had worse graphics and better speed, that's how i've always seen it.

Yeah I don't think I'd say most. As far as audio/visuals, the top snes games were leagues better than that of the genesis. I swear that first batch of genesis titles, Golden Axe for example, barely felt like a step up from the 8bit games. Contrast that with Super Mario World--that game was a release title and is better than anything on genesis.

outside that special chip for some snes games. a game like sonic 3d really showed what genesis was capable of and when the first generation games came out for genesis like altered beast and golden axe they looked waaay better than anything 8 bit though. there's a reaosn I can barely go back to playing 8 bit games unlike 16 bit games as 8 bit looks really stiff and unanimated without any details either

#262 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

My argument was that a number of initial genesis games barely looked better than NES. Golden Axe, when played on an actual genesis, is a rather atrocious game in every respect. Sound, Video, and animation are very lackluster. I posted a video a few posts back showing an NES game--yes, not as good looking, but with better animation. I am in no way saying that the NES produced visuals better than that of the genesis. It was a means to compare it to the SNES. The snes never really had this problem--the launch games still look great.

Heirren

wow you are still trying to defend your ridiculous argument. I have a genesis with golden axe and no 8 bit game comes close to how it runs, the details, how the magic attacks look or even the sound

#263 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Lucianu"]

Most of the games i've tried run smoother, especially shoot 'em ups which are a pleasure on the eye due to them being very fluid. SNES had better graphics and worse speed, wile the Genesis had worse graphics and better speed, that's how i've always seen it.

Panzer_Zwei

Yeah I don't think I'd say most. As far as audio/visuals, the top snes games were leagues better than that of the genesis. I swear that first batch of genesis titles, Golden Axe for example, barely felt like a step up from the 8bit games. Contrast that with Super Mario World--that game was a release title and is better than anything on genesis.

Ridiculous statement.

Show me anything on an 8-bit system that looks close to it.

You could look at the Master System and PC-ENGINE CD versions of the game to begin with. And those came out later, if I remember correctly.

If you think the MD wasn't a step up even in 1988 then you have a pretty messed up memory of how 8-bit games looked.

The Super Famicom came out years later. MD graphics also improved then.

Actually Golden Axe looked pretty good on the SMS:

While not MD-quality it was nice-looking for a 8-bit system regardless. And the PC Engine wasn't 8-bit. It had two 16-bit graphics chips thus it's comparable to MD and SNES.

And here is Fantasy Zone II on the SMS compared to Super Fantasy Zone on the MD:

While not the same game the colors in Fantasy Zone II on the SMS look almost more vibrant. The SMS could display up to 64 colors at once which is comparable to many MD games.

#264 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

except it doesn't and you have yet to provide any proof of that show me an NES game that displays 64 on screen on colours

rilpas

The animation is much better--it is far more fluid. What you just said gives me the impression you did not understand a word of my prior post.

besides, if anything, it was the SNES games that looked like 8bit games

hardly so. The NES could never run a SNES game like Pilotwings was and that was a launch game. Sure, some SNES games used more "clear" colors but even then they looked better than anything on NES. And there's no comparison between 8-bit games and later SNES games like Donkey Kong Country and Mario RPG, visually.

By the way, here is a comparison between Battletoads on NES and MD:

#265 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Here is Mario World SNES vs NES (pirate):

The pirates did a great job, no doubt, but you can clearly see the lack of colors in the NES version. The differences become even mroe apparent in motion.

And here is DKC SNES vs NES (pirate again):

The pirates did a great job yet again but you have to be blind not to see the difference (the NES version looks like a poor cartoon after all).

#266 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

why are you comparing the genesis with the master system and the SNES with the NES?

after all I said "8 bit games" not "NES games"

for comparison's sakes:

Mortal Kombat on the master system

Mortal Kombat on the SNES

#267 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

The SMS could display up to 64 colors at once which is comparable to many MD games.

nameless12345

eerrr no it couldn't

the master system had a total color palete of 64 and could display 32 colors at once

#268 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

why are you comparing the genesis with the master system and the SNES with the NES?

for comparison's sakes:

rilpas

Bad example because the SNES version looked (and sounded) considerably better from the MD one:

#269 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

The SMS could display up to 64 colors at once which is comparable to many MD games.

rilpas

eerrr no it couldn't

the master system had a total color palete of 64 and could display 32 colors at once

It could with tricks:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sega_Master_System#Technical_specifications

#270 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

for comparison's sakes:

nameless12345

Bad example because the SNES version looked (and sounded) considerably better from the MD one:

indeed, but I wasn't the one saying that the Megadrive was hardly a step up from the NES, Herrein was.

if he had mentioned the master system then I could see where he was coming from

#271 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

eerrr no it couldn't

It could with tricks:

with tricks you could also push the sega genesis on screen colours to 256 colours so... *shrugs*

#272 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

for comparison's sakes:

rilpas

indeed, but I wasn't the one saying that the Megadrive was hardly a step up from the NES, Herrein was.

if he had mentioned the master system then I could see where he was coming from

Well, the MD was surely considerably better than the NES in graphics and sound and you could also say control. Even the Master System was.

#273 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
indeed, which why I find Heirren's claim funny, unless of course I am gravely mistaken and he was comparing it to the master system, which at times, some of it's games look 16 bit quality (power strike 2 being a prime example)
#274 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

eerrr no it couldn't

rilpas

It could with tricks:

with tricks you could also push the sega genesis on screen colours to 256 colours so... *shrugs*

Yes, MD's default color count of 64 colors could be increased using palette swaps. A good example of this is Sonic 2. However the SNES could display up to 256 colors without tricks and had a color palette of over 32000 colors (MD only 512). Funnily the Sega CD didn't fix that color issue (it took untill the 32X that the color count was increased).

#275 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

It could with tricks:

nameless12345

Yes, MD's default color count of 64 colors could be increased using palette swaps. A good example of this is Sonic 2. However the SNES could display up to 256 colors without tricks and had a color palette of over 32000 colors (MD only 512). Funnily the Sega CD didn't fix that color issue (it took untill the 32X that the color count was increased).

then again, none of the launch SNES games used more then one hundred and something colours :P

#276 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

indeed, which why I find Heirren's claim funny, unless of course I am gravely mistaken and he was comparing it to the master system, which at times, some of it's games look 16 bit quality (power strike 2 being a prime example)rilpas

Master System was very good for a 8-bit console system, I agree. The Japanese Mark III was even better due to a better sound chip. The Game Gear is basically a Master System in compact form (with a increased color palette).

#277 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]indeed, which why I find Heirren's claim funny, unless of course I am gravely mistaken and he was comparing it to the master system, which at times, some of it's games look 16 bit quality (power strike 2 being a prime example)nameless12345

Master System was very good for a 8-bit console system, I agree. The Japanese Mark III was even better due to a better sound chip. The Game Gear is basically a Master System in compact form (with a increased color palette).

You got it backwards. The Japanese master system had the FM unit built it. The Mark-III required you to buy it as an add-on separately.

That applies to the rapid fire unit too.

#278 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

My argument was that a number of initial genesis games barely looked better than NES. Golden Axe, when played on an actual genesis, is a rather atrocious game in every respect. Sound, Video, and animation are very lackluster. I posted a video a few posts back showing an NES game--yes, not as good looking, but with better animation. I am in no way saying that the NES produced visuals better than that of the genesis. It was a means to compare it to the SNES. The snes never really had this problem--the launch games still look great.

bultje112

wow you are still trying to defend your ridiculous argument. I have a genesis with golden axe and no 8 bit game comes close to how it runs, the details, how the magic attacks look or even the sound

Not really. It got blown out of proportion, and context. I tried to clear it up with the quoted post, but it didn't go over so well. The statement came out of literally throwing in Golden Axe the other day, hearing its awful sound, seeing its drab color palette, and looking at 2-frame animations. Occasionally i'll go through old school game binges and play a lot of my old favorites--double dragon 2, battletoads, to name a few. After finishing those I decided, "wow it has been a LONG LONG time since I've played these old genesis games." My immediate though upon first hitting the attack button in Golden Axe was, "wait, people thought this was a huge step up?"

#279 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Not really. It got blown out of proportion, and context. I tried to clear it up with the quoted post, but it didn't go over so well. The statement came out of literally throwing in Golden Axe the other day, hearing its awful sound, seeing its drab color palette, and looking at 2-frame animations. Occasionally i'll go through old school game binges and play a lot of my old favorites--double dragon 2, battletoads, to name a few. After finishing those I decided, "wow it has been a LONG LONG time since I've played these old genesis games." My immediate though upon first hitting the attack button in Golden Axe was, "wait, people thought this was a huge step up?"

you mean like final fight for the SNES?

#280 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

rilpas

Would you please not take things out of context? It was a combination of all the elements.

#281 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Would you please not take things out of context? It was a combination of all the elements.

except the rest you mentioned was subjective at best? Awful sound? Ok for the death screams I can agree, but where else was this awful sound? the sound effects? certainly not the music

drab colours? pretty sure that was a design choice

#282 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

except the rest you mentioned was subjective at best? Awful sound? Ok for the death screams I can agree, but where else was this awful sound? the sound effects? certainly not the music

Just all of it. You compare that game to something like Sonic and it really feels like one could be playing a whole new system. I elaborated and gave my reasoning as to where the statement came from. There isn't much more that I can say, really.

#283 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
Like I said, subjective
#284 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

a combination of all the elements in your clouded head in 2012 yes. back in 1989 golden axe was seen as state of the art but I'm pretty sure you never owned one back then otherwise you wouldn't make such foolish arguments

#285 Posted by Heirren (18925 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

bultje112

a combination of all the elements in your clouded head in 2012 yes. back in 1989 golden axe was seen as state of the art but I'm pretty sure you never owned one back then otherwise you wouldn't make such foolish arguments

I don't think it is a foolish argument. Also, I'd be willing to bet there are people that agree with what I had said.

Btw, I grew up with those systems.

#286 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

bultje112

Ok it wasn't seen as "State of the art" but "The right direction for gaming evolution" Now let me guess, same argument? "The Genesis was not a step up in graphis from the NES" i though we all concluded it was a step-up from the Nes but not "THAT MUCH" from other 8-bit consoles?
#287 Posted by silentnightmere (1520 posts) -
Genesis. Im actually surprised it's winning on the poll.
#288 Posted by Stefan91x (225 posts) -

There is no other console where you have such a large selection of masterful games like on the SNES.Definitaly the best console of all time.

My vote goes for the SNES

However the Genesis/Mega Drive is also a fantastic console with a great library of arcade and action games.

#289 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -

There is no other console where you have such a large selection of masterful games like on the SNES.Definitaly the best console of all time.

However the Genesis/Mega Drive is also a fantastic console with a great library of arcade and action games.

Stefan91x
Large selection of masterful games? That's a different one, please provide detail for your unique claim.
#290 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -
[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Another48hours
Large selection of masterful games? That's a different one, please provide detail for your unique claim.

well I agree with him there, games like Actiraiser were unique and even to this day there's nothing like it though, Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger are on the PS1 and Nintendo DS :P
#291 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -
[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

rilpas

well I agree with him there, games like Actiraiser were unique and even to this day there's nothing like it though, Final Fantasy 6 and Chrono Trigger are on the PS1 and Nintendo DS :P

There were some interesting games, but originality was a problem that was lacking on the system. IMO that's why i choose to play the other 3 systems but i still have lots of games on the SENS Oops I mens SNES, sony has SENS.
#292 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Just all of it. You compare that game to something like Sonic and it really feels like one could be playing a whole new system. I elaborated and gave my reasoning as to where the statement came from. There isn't much more that I can say, really.

Sonic was a "next gen" MD game i.e. they pushed the MD really well in the graphics and sound departments with the Sonic games. The Sonic games in general look nicer and more colorful and are faster and sound better than most other MD games.

As for the early MD games I'd say Ghouls 'n Ghosts was quite the looker. While obviously not arcade perfect it was quite nice anyway (especially compared to the 8-bit systems).

#293 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

[QUOTE="mahlasor"]

I feel sorry for anyone argueing with a guy whose name has the word "nut," in it. His argument was completely fallacious. Look the Genesis has a more speed, it was made to play arcade-like games. I think the Genesis attracted far more creative developers, games like MUSHA, Earthworm Jim, and Toejam & Earl were all on the Genesis. Yes Earthwrom Jim was ported the SNES, which I tried, and it was fail. One thing I notice is the Genesis had a more mature sound to its game, or lower tone, the Super Nintendo was more childish in its sound board.

nameless12345

SNES sound chip was more "childish" ? Now I have heard everything :lol:

SNES had easily better graphics than MD/Genesis because it had a larger color palette and hardware support for scaling/rotation effects (i.e. "Mode 7") as well as a more advanced sound chip. The only thing the MD had over it was a faster main processor but that could be compensated with add-on chips on the SNES (such as DSP, SA-1, Super FX, ect.). As far as arcade games go - the TG-16 ports of Afterburner, OutRun and Space Harrier are actually better than the MD ones altho it's a little older system and generally seen as less capable. And I'm pretty sure SNES got it's fair share of "creative" games as well.

Perhaps you did not understand what I was meaning, what I mean is the Genesis is distinctively lower pictch compared to the SNES. Both systems produce different style of sound, so to say the SNES = better sound all around, is not true. Technically yes, but in practice the Genesis has some kick ass tunes. Just play Toe Jam and Earl. ToeJam and Earl is a kid game, but the pitch of the sounds are distictively low pitch. Best Example is Earthworm Jim 2.

Anyways there has been threads like this in the past, but I bet some of the information is lost. All I got to say is Redzone, even the intro is like trying to brag about what the Sega Genesis can do. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwZErWZXRh0

Why cant I link videos?

#294 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

nameless12345

Sonic was a "next gen" MD game i.e. they pushed the MD really well in the graphics and sound departments with the Sonic games. The Sonic games in general look nicer and more colorful and are faster and sound better than most other MD games.

As for the early MD games I'd say Ghouls 'n Ghosts was quite the looker. While obviously not arcade perfect it was quite nice anyway (especially compared to the 8-bit systems).

mickey mouse on the genesis looked also great and was early release

#295 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

It all came down to how much time and effort the developers put into making the game look and sound great.

#296 Posted by Nanomage (2335 posts) -
Mega Drive.
#297 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

Yeah would you rather have a Mega Nintendo, or a Super Nintendo? Alright, the Genesis won, we can lock this thread ;P

#298 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -

Yeah would you rather have a Mega Nintendo, or a Super Nintendo? Alright, the Genesis won, we can lock this thread ;P

mahlasor
Genesis was better at first for awhile but in the last few years of the gen the SNES won.
#299 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

Lol, I was referring to the poll. Yeah Sega really dropped the console, by trying to mutate it in very odd ways.

#300 Posted by Another48hours (1970 posts) -

Lol, I was referring to the poll. Yeah Sega really dropped the console, by trying to mutate it in very odd ways.

mahlasor
Deform would be the better word. Whuch they never even supported both of them any way. Just thought slapping Sega on them was enough.