SNES vs Sega Genesis/Mega Drive [poll added]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#501 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

I'm a bit surprised that so many people vote for the Genesis.Of course, it's a great console, but it lacks on innovations and ideas for me.To many games were focused on a classic arcade style, while many SNES games were focused on the modern exploration gameplay.I wish the Genesis had more games of the type like Super Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma etc.

I mean, there were so many very innovative and strategic games for the SNES, and what did Sega?They released arcade games, but they never come to the idea of trying something new, just arcade, arcade, arcade.That's one of some reasons, that Nintendo won the war against Sega.

Fairly said, its a matter of preference.I know that many people prefer the Genesis over the SNES, especially the fact that there are so many arcade games for this console.

Stefan91x

if there was one console in teh 16 bit era that lacked innovation and new ideas ti was the snes. it wa sbasically an upgraded nes including it's games while genesis was truly something else back then. that's why it gets more votes too I assume because more people still pick up and play it's games

#502 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

I'm a bit surprised that so many people vote for the Genesis.Of course, it's a great console, but it lacks on innovations and ideas for me.To many games were focused on a classic arcade style, while many SNES games were focused on the modern exploration gameplay.I wish the Genesis had more games of the type like Super Metroid, Zelda, Donkey Kong, Chrono Trigger, Terranigma etc.

I mean, there were so many very innovative and strategic games for the SNES, and what did Sega?They released arcade games, but they never come to the idea of trying something new, just arcade, arcade, arcade.That's one of some reasons, that Nintendo won the war against Sega.

Fairly said, its a matter of preference.I know that many people prefer the Genesis over the SNES, especially the fact that there are so many arcade games for this console.

bultje112

if there was one console in teh 16 bit era that lacked innovation and new ideas ti was the snes. it wa sbasically an upgraded nes including it's games while genesis was truly something else back then. that's why it gets more votes too I assume because more people still pick up and play it's games

Actually the Mega Drive was an upgraded Master System if anything. SNES had totaly new graphics and sound hardware.

#503 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] Actually, the 3DO predates the Jaguar. Also, the earlier FM Towns Marty was also capable of textured 3D graphics. I also think the 4th-gen Neo Geo might also be capable of textured 3D graphics considering its raw power, though I can't think of any 3D games produced for it.

Another48hours

Yea, 3DO was even better than Jaguar in 3D (altho looking at that sloppy Doom port one probably wouldn't guess that).

The 3Do does not beat the Jag in 3D. Do you realize how unnecessarily complicated the Jag is? You can't just port games too it. 3DO however, much easier to use. Also, expensive dev kids.

Well, the best 3D I've seen on the Jag is Skyhammer and even that looks kinda worse from The Need For Speed on the 3DO. Maybe Jag's hardware was stronger and more advanced but it wasn't really made for 3D graphics. I mean even 32X has better 3D performance or so it seems (compare Virtua Racing to Checkered Flag for example). And considering Skyhammer was made by the same people who made the imrpessive Alien vs Predator (Rebellion) and released as late as 2000, I'm pretty sure they already learned all the tricks it could pull-off.

#504 Posted by dbz987 (3722 posts) -

SNES

#505 Posted by Jag85 (4921 posts) -

Stefan91x

I beg to differ, but the Mega Drive / Genesis was just as innovative as, or maybe even more than, the SNES. Some of those games you mention would not have been possible were it not for important precedents set by the Mega Drive. For example, Donkey Kong Country's graphics would not have been possible without Sonic the Hedgehog paving the way. Even the likes of Final Fantasy 4-6 and Chrono Trigger would not have been possible were it not for Sega's Phantasy Star II laying the foundations for subsequent console RPGs. Let's also not forget that the Mega Drive produced the first polygonal 3D console games, with games like Star Cruiser and Hard Drivin' releasing years before Star Fox. And if accessories like the Sega CD and 32X count, then the Mega Drive most certainly surpasses the SNES in terms of hardware innovation.

Also, that's not true at all about strategic games. This is an area where the Mega Drive most definitely surpassed the SNES. The real-time strategy genre as we know it was born on the Mega Drive with the 1989 release Herzog Zwei, the game that inspired the PC game Dune II, which in turn was ported to the Mega Drive. With games like Herzog Zwei and Dune II, the Mega Drive is the clear 16-bit winner when it comes to the strategy genre.

#506 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Jag85

I beg to differ, but the Mega Drive / Genesis was just as innovative as, or maybe even more than, the SNES. Some of those games you mention would not have been possible were it not for important precedents set by the Mega Drive. For example, Donkey Kong Country's graphics would not have been possible without Sonic the Hedgehog paving the way. Even the likes of Final Fantasy 4-6 and Chrono Trigger would not have been possible were it not for Sega's Phantasy Star II laying the foundations for subsequent console RPGs. Let's also not forget that the Mega Drive produced the first polygonal 3D console games, with games like Star Cruiser and Hard Drivin' releasing years before Star Fox. And if accessories like the Sega CD and 32X count, then the Mega Drive most certainly surpasses the SNES in terms of hardware innovation.

DKC graphics would be totaly possible without Sonic, it's just that Nintendo (or Rare) focused more on graphics with DKC because they had the image of cartoony, "kiddy" games. It was also a way to show that you don't need better hardware for better graphics (at the time 32X and Jaguar were released). And the first 3D games on Mega Drive ran like crap (bordering unplaylable). CD and 32X were among the reasons why Sega had to abandon the console race.

#507 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

What about the part where the SNES got continued support while the Genesis was getting raped from every direction, literally.

Heirren
except that never happened
#508 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

nameless12345

Actually the Mega Drive was an upgraded Master System if anything. SNES had totaly new graphics and sound hardware.

the master system didn't have a motorola CPU or a sound synthesizer :|

#509 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Jag85

Also, that's not true at all about strategic games. This is an area where the Mega Drive most definitely surpassed the SNES. The real-time strategy genre as we know it was born on the Mega Drive with the 1989 release Herzog Zwei, the game that inspired the PC game Dune II, which in turn was ported to the Mega Drive. With games like Herzog Zwei and Dune II, the Mega Drive is the clear 16-bit winner when it comes to the strategy genre.

You've misunderstood me a bit

I don't mean the strategic genre like Starcraft, Dune etc. I would say that many SNES games were more complex and required a higher logic to master the enemys and levels, while the Genesis games were more or less based on an action gameplay

#510 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Stefan91x

You've misunderstood me a bit

I don't mean the strategic genre like Starcraft, Dune etc. I would say that many SNES games were more complex and required a higher logic to master the enemys and levels, while the Genesis games were more or less based on an action gameplay

I'm assuming you're basing this on the SNES' rpg's?

#511 Posted by Heirren (18087 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

What about the part where the SNES got continued support while the Genesis was getting raped from every direction, literally.

rilpas

Yes it did. SEga CD and 32X.

People often forget how badass Mario Paint was.

#512 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

Yes it did. SEga CD and 32X.

People often forget how badass Mario Paint was.

and what do the sega CD or 32X have to do with the Genesis' support? the genesis got a steady flow of games from it's inception until 1996 and even as a Kid I thought mario paint was waste of time, see I had a thing called a PC, that came with MS paint and a music synthesizers for free
#513 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Yea, 3DO was even better than Jaguar in 3D (altho looking at that sloppy Doom port one probably wouldn't guess that).

nameless12345

The 3Do does not beat the Jag in 3D. Do you realize how unnecessarily complicated the Jag is? You can't just port games too it. 3DO however, much easier to use. Also, expensive dev kids.

Well, the best 3D I've seen on the Jag is Skyhammer and even that looks kinda worse from The Need For Speed on the 3DO. Maybe Jag's hardware was stronger and more advanced but it wasn't really made for 3D graphics. I mean even 32X has better 3D performance or so it seems (compare Virtua Racing to Checkered Flag for example). And considering Skyhammer was made by the same people who made the imrpessive Alien vs Predator (Rebellion) and released as late as 2000, I'm pretty sure they already learned all the tricks it could pull-off.

You couldn't pull out the tricks with it. It was released sort of like the 2600. The 2600 was a machine made to play PONG and close to PONG like games. Yet we get games that aren't even supposed to be on the system, and that system has had the most advanced games come out of it. Why? Because people weredoing amazing things that the 2600 was not meant to do, but, you could go in and take advantage of the extra power. The Jag is closed. I have no idea what it was designed for. Porting Jaguar games you made was easy, porting games to the Jaguar without massive recoding and a bunch of errors was almost impossible. The design has it so you can't use any tricks without focusing entirely on the console which nobody did, and Ataris Dev kits did not help. At all. As I was at the 3DO company, we realized the 3DO was never good with Dev kits either, so I believe neither actually showed what they could do. But it's too late for that now, both systems are dead. Even if you could get Halo to run on the Jag r 3Do it makes no difference now.
#514 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Renegade_Fury"]

[QUOTE="Valknut4"]

You missed the edit under the TC, the topic changed for some reason between page 7-15. I was just wondering why, but ehn the rage from all of you came. In waves.

Valknut4

I saw the edit, and he put it in well before this thread blew up. Even so, such a topic is obviously opinion driven, and presenting ridiculous elements such as speed runs and ebay prices as factual evidence makes zero sense, regardless.

Tell me when you look for public intrest in something do you use a dowsing rod? Crystal ball? I try the internet, its new an works like a charm.

I did not doge your point other dude, I answered, the topic didnt change before it blew up there was no pool, people were arguing about which was better long ebfore I came in an gave suggestion on how to fidn out. Then on guy in particular drove his anti nintendo car all over everything for no reason I tried for life of me to explain that Yotube results were jsut unpolled answers, for public opinion but he raged much like this.

I really don't care what is right or wrong or who likes what I was more intrested in what other people might find in the likes of other gaming communites choices. Turns out people on this site seem to only visit this site, or refuse an outside world exsists, all fun was drained. One other person seemed intrested in finding other ways to decide but provided 0 ways to do so.

P.s it wasn't a low blow at your grammar or spelling it really could have just used a space somewhere in there. Believe it or not 2nd post much easier to read.

I like how you have not: Answered the post I keep posting Not backed up your Youtube claim. How does that prove anything? The high price=better games BS you were talking about. That's over 7 strikes now.
#515 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

Stefan91x
It lacks innovations? Realy? A console were the majority of the games are copie of each other? I mean you may like that, and I never said it was bad, but there was a severe lack of innovative ides on the SNES. Also, you "too many games on genesis are focused on arcade, no rpgs or action adventure"pretty much clearly told me you have never used the system before. Just saying. Also, the complicated argument is also BS. When almost all the complex "RPGS" regardless if you like them or not, all copy each other and all have way too similar gameplay, while, whether you like them or not, Genesis Rpgs are usually different from each other. I also would like you to actually play a Megadrive/Genesis so you would know this "Arcade arcade arcade" is plain BS. Sorry but what? If you want a system with almost all straight arcade games (Almost all) then you would have brought a Neo-Geo (or CD) not a Genesis.
#516 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Another48hours

It lacks innovations? Realy? A console were the majority of the games are copie of each other? I mean you may like that, and I never said it was bad, but there was a severe lack of innovative ides on the SNES. Also, you "too many games on genesis are focused on arcade, no rpgs or action adventure"pretty much clearly told me you have never used the system before. Just saying. Also, the complicated argument is also BS. When almost all the complex "RPGS" regardless if you like them or not, all copy each other and all have way too similar gameplay, while, whether you like them or not, Genesis Rpgs are usually different from each other. I also would like you to actually play a Megadrive/Genesis so you would know this "Arcade arcade arcade" is plain BS. Sorry but what? If you want a system with almost all straight arcade games (Almost all) then you would have brought a Neo-Geo (or CD) not a Genesis.

Oh, you get a heart attack?I'm sorry

#517 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Stefan91x

LMAO! Worst counter-point, ever!

#518 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

Stefan91x

That's odd to say when I already said I prefer the SNES. So basically, everything you posted indicates you never owned a Genesis or played no games for it. You basically just said there are almost only Arcade games, no rpgs or adventure, and there are no complex games. Please tell e how you came to this conclusion. Or can you?
#519 Posted by Heirren (18087 posts) -

I gotta point out that I did enjoy the Menacer. I had very limited time with the Super Scope. Were there any worthwhile games for that thing?

#520 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] It lacks innovations? Realy? A console were the majority of the games are copie of each other? I mean you may like that, and I never said it was bad, but there was a severe lack of innovative ides on the SNES. Also, you "too many games on genesis are focused on arcade, no rpgs or action adventure"pretty much clearly told me you have never used the system before. Just saying. Also, the complicated argument is also BS. When almost all the complex "RPGS" regardless if you like them or not, all copy each other and all have way too similar gameplay, while, whether you like them or not, Genesis Rpgs are usually different from each other. I also would like you to actually play a Megadrive/Genesis so you would know this "Arcade arcade arcade" is plain BS. Sorry but what? If you want a system with almost all straight arcade games (Almost all) then you would have brought a Neo-Geo (or CD) not a Genesis.Another48hours

That's odd to say when I already said I prefer the SNES. So basically, everything you posted indicates you never owned a Genesis or played no games for it. You basically just said there are almost only Arcade games, no rpgs or adventure, and there are no complex games. Please tell e how you came to this conclusion. Or can you?

I never said that the Genesis lacks on rpgs or adventure games, I said that many games ( not all of them ) for this system, based simply on an arcade style of gameplay.You don't understand me?

#521 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]Oh, you get a heart attack?I'm sorry

Stefan91x

I never said that the Genesis lacks on rpgs or adventure games, I said that many games ( not all of them ) for this system, based simply on an arcade style of gameplay.You don't understand me?

You implied it up the azz around the corner and back. You also pretty much said the SNES was more complex and had more open world games and Rpgs which you implied were severely lacking compared to the vast amount of arcade focus. All of which are untrue. Did you not understand me>
#522 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Another48hours

Show me a console, which is not affected by this argument

#523 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]Oh, you get a heart attack?I'm sorry

Stefan91x

doesn't that apply to the SNES as well? I'm pretty sure platformers, fighters, SHMUPS and beat'em ups make up the bulk of the SNES' library

#524 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

Stefan91x

2600, 5200, 7800, CD-I, 3DO, Lynx, etc. etc. etc. When copies (and direct copies at that) make up MOST OF YOUR LIBRARY, something is wrong. Just saying. Especially when your trying to act like there is a GAP of innovations between the two.
#525 Posted by Heirren (18087 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] That's odd to say when I already said I prefer the SNES. So basically, everything you posted indicates you never owned a Genesis or played no games for it. You basically just said there are almost only Arcade games, no rpgs or adventure, and there are no complex games. Please tell e how you came to this conclusion. Or can you?rilpas

doesn't that apply to the SNES as well? I'm pretty sure platformers, fighters, SHMUPS and beat'em ups make up the bulk of the SNES' library

Yeah, I agree that is a poor argument, as well. The libraries are so vast that it seems pointless to even bother with that. Imo, it is the few really amazing standout titles that should be the focus of such a comparison.

#526 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

There was a game that was just like mario paint on the Genesis.

#527 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] It lacks innovations? Realy? A console were the majority of the games are copie of each other? I mean you may like that, and I never said it was bad, but there was a severe lack of innovative ides on the SNES. Also, you "too many games on genesis are focused on arcade, no rpgs or action adventure"pretty much clearly told me you have never used the system before. Just saying. Also, the complicated argument is also BS. When almost all the complex "RPGS" regardless if you like them or not, all copy each other and all have way too similar gameplay, while, whether you like them or not, Genesis Rpgs are usually different from each other. I also would like you to actually play a Megadrive/Genesis so you would know this "Arcade arcade arcade" is plain BS. Sorry but what? If you want a system with almost all straight arcade games (Almost all) then you would have brought a Neo-Geo (or CD) not a Genesis.Another48hours

2600, 5200, 7800, CD-I, 3DO, Lynx, etc. etc. etc. When copies (and direct copies at that) make up MOST OF YOUR LIBRARY, something is wrong. Just saying. Especially when your trying to act like there is a GAP of innovations between the two.

Wrong, there is no console were the most games aren't copies of successfull games

#528 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]I never said that the Genesis lacks on rpgs or adventure games, I said that many games ( not all of them ) for this system, based simply on an arcade style of gameplay.You don't understand me?

Heirren

Yeah, I agree that is a poor argument, as well. The libraries are so vast that it seems pointless to even bother with that. Imo, it is the few really amazing standout titles that should be the focus of such a comparison.

agreed, the argument could be made either way, the SNES has great strategy games like Civilization and Sim city and the Sega Genesis has games Herzog Zwei and Dune 2

#529 Posted by Heirren (18087 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

agreed, the argument could be made either way, the SNES has great strategy games like Civilization and Sim city and the Sega Genesis has games Herzog Zwei and Dune 2

I feel like Dune is one of the areas the SNES never had though, right? That experience was exclusive to the genesis, as far as I know. I could be wrong, of course. The game however, hasn't exactly stood the test of time imo.

#530 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

Heirren

I feel like Dune is one of the areas the SNES never had though, right? That experience was exclusive to the genesis, as far as I know. I could be wrong, of course. The game however, hasn't exactly stood the test of time imo.

Dune 2's biggest problem is the lack of multiple unit selection, having to select one unit at a time is a real chore

though, I still enjoy the PC version

#531 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]Show me a console, which is not affected by this argument

Stefan91x

Wrong, there is no console were the most games aren't copies of successfull games

Did you know drugs are bad for you?
#532 Posted by Heirren (18087 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] 2600, 5200, 7800, CD-I, 3DO, Lynx, etc. etc. etc. When copies (and direct copies at that) make up MOST OF YOUR LIBRARY, something is wrong. Just saying. Especially when your trying to act like there is a GAP of innovations between the two.Another48hours

He's right.

#533 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] 2600, 5200, 7800, CD-I, 3DO, Lynx, etc. etc. etc. When copies (and direct copies at that) make up MOST OF YOUR LIBRARY, something is wrong. Just saying. Especially when your trying to act like there is a GAP of innovations between the two.Another48hours

A typical intolerant and respectless comment by a very very lonely kid who has no life, but to post stupid comments the whole day.Ask yourself, are you one of those people?

#534 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]Wrong, there is no console were the most games aren't copies of successfull games

Stefan91x

A typical intolerant and respectless comment by a very very lonely kid who has no life, but to post stupid comments the whole day.Ask yourself, are you one of those people?

So now I know what alt you are and also I see you didn't answer any of my questions. Please, you just randomly pulled "All consoles, most of their games are copies." out you azz. Makes no sense. Now you're resulting to insults like the other guy.
#535 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]Wrong, there is no console were the most games aren't copies of successfull games

Heirren

He's right.

Who? Me or him?
#536 Posted by Heirren (18087 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] Did you know drugs are bad for you?Another48hours

He's right.

Who? Me or him?

Stefan91x. It is a fact. Companies try to milk money out of what is popular.

#537 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
[QUOTE="Heirren"]

He's right.

Who? Me or him?

him, he's right
#538 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Heirren"]

He's right.

Heirren
Who? Me or him?

him, he's right

How? So you're saying out of every system. Not he did say every. That most of the games are direct copies of other games? You do realize that is extremely stupid right?
#539 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

So now I know what alt you are and also I see you didn't answer any of my questions. Please, you just randomly pulled "All consoles, most of their games are copies." out you azz. Makes no sense. Now you're resulting to insults like the other guy.

I'm insulting people?Do you realize, that you are actually the only person here who insult people, just because they have other opinions than you.It's also very interesting that you write the exatly stupid comments like jakandsig did.Concidence?No

#540 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Stefan91x"]A typical intolerant and respectless comment by a very very lonely kid who has no life, but to post stupid comments the whole day.Ask yourself, are you one of those people?

Stefan91x

I'm insulting people?Do you realize, that you are actually the only person here who insult people, just because they have other opinions than you.It's also very interesting that you write the exatly stupid comments like jakandsig did.Concidence?No

Wait, so I am insulting people buy not insulting people ok. I write stupid comments? Right. You randomly talk about Jak? Coincidence? No. See, I can troll like you as well. I have the same opinion you do and I think you're wrong because YOU ARE when you say ALL CONSOLES (Or you implied it to the extremes) has the majority of its games copied. How can you possibly say ALL? It's not correct, some consoles barely have games. What about first Gen consoles? What about the consoles 2nd Gen that had tons of original stuff that was copied LATER. Again, you're the only one pulling stuff out of air.
#541 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Heirren"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] Who? Me or him?Another48hours

him, he's right

How? So you're saying out of every system. Not he did say every. That most of the games are direct copies of other games? You do realize that is extremely stupid right?

no I don't realize that it's extremly stupid, because I think he's right

#542 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="Heirren"]him, he's rightrilpas

All the Odyssey games are all copies of a popular game? Most of the 2600 Library is filled with copies and not original idea (That were sadly also playable on other consoles) even though that is complete crap? The Atari PC had co- well that's not a console so. You do realize he said "ALL" right? Whether you believe him or not he's wrong.
#543 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] How? So you're saying out of every system. Not he did say every. That most of the games are direct copies of other games? You do realize that is extremely stupid right?Another48hours

All the Odyssey games are all copies of a popular game? Most of the 2600 Library is filled with copies and not original idea (That were sadly also playable on other consoles) even though that is complete crap? The Atari PC had co- well that's not a console so. You do realize he said "ALL" right? Whether you believe him or not he's wrong.

I barely consider the odyssey a console

and the atari 2600 was filled with breakout and space invaders clones yes

and he no one ever claimed that consoles never had original ideas

#544 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

RIght, The 2600 had a few break out and Space invaders clones. Not over half the consoles. Most of the consoles was new Idea, some came from Clones, and then the next game the clones are no longer clones. Even if you discount that it still has more original games. Not that you know about the game library of the 2600, I don;t expect you and lots of people to do but BS is BS. Also, the ODyssey is a console whether you like it or not.
#545 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] All the Odyssey games are all copies of a popular game? Most of the 2600 Library is filled with copies and not original idea (That were sadly also playable on other consoles) even though that is complete crap? The Atari PC had co- well that's not a console so. You do realize he said "ALL" right? Whether you believe him or not he's wrong.Another48hours

RIght, The 2600 had a few break out and Space invaders clones. Not over half the consoles. Most of the consoles was new Idea, some came from Clones, and then the next game the clones are no longer clones. Even if you discount that it still has more original games. Not that you know about the game library of the 2600, I don;t expect you and lots of people to do but BS is BS. Also, the ODyssey is a console whether you like it or not.

those are quite a lot of assumptions there, I don't know the atari 2600 library? what are you basing that off of?

also, I repeat, no one claimed that consoles didn't have any original ideas, the original claim was:

"there is no console where the most games aren't copies of successfull games"

and this is true, the atari 2600 is filled with asteroids, space invaders and breakout clones

#546 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

those are quite a lot of assumptions there, I don't know the atari 2600 library? what are you basing that off of?

also, I repeat, no one claimed that consoles didn't have any original ideas, the original claim was:

"there is no console where the most games aren't copies of successfull games"

and this is true, the atari 2600 is filled with asteroids, space invaders and breakout clones

I am pulling it based on the fact that the majority of games on the 2600 are not clones. Not to mention some of the clones completely change the game and are not clones at all in some cases. There were games called Pac-Man clones just because they were dots. That's like saying Doom is a DNF clone because they both shoot. Yes, that's how a lot of clones were classified. There are more original games on the 2600 then actual copies are games that are more copy then original. Or REAL CLONEE. Not correct. Now if he said there is no console that does not have at least 2 games copied from something else then that would be true. Saying there is not one console with the majority of the games being copies is just plain wrong.
#547 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

I am pulling it based on the fact that the majority of games on the 2600 are not clones. Not to mention some of the clones completely change the game and are not clones at all in some cases. There were games called Pac-Man clones just because they were dots. That's like saying Doom is a DNF clone because they both shoot.Another48hours

it doesn't matter if they change the gameplay a bit, if if wasn't for pacman, there wouldn't be those dot games

and yes, every first person shooter in the 90's was known as a Doom clone

just like every RTS was known as a Dune 2 clone

and honestly, the atari 2600 is probably the console with the most clones I've ever seen, even the damn muppets game is a space invaders clone, the second level being a frogger clone

Yes, that's how a lot of clones were classified. There are more original games on the 2600 then actual copies are games that are more copy then original. Or REAL CLONEE. Not correct. Now if he said there is no console that does not have at least 2 games copied from something else then that would be true. Saying there is not one console with the majority of the games being copies is just plain wrong.Another48hours

whether or not there are more original games or clones is something I don't bother with counting, with that said, I'm more inclined to say the atari 2600 has more clones then original games

#548 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -

[QUOTE="Another48hours"] I am pulling it based on the fact that the majority of games on the 2600 are not clones. Not to mention some of the clones completely change the game and are not clones at all in some cases. There were games called Pac-Man clones just because they were dots. That's like saying Doom is a DNF clone because they both shoot.rilpas

it doesn't matter if they change the gameplay a bit, if if wasn't for pacman, there wouldn't be those dot games

and yes, every first person shooter in the 90's was known as a Doom clone

just like every RTS was known as a Dune 2 clone

and honestly, the atari 2600 is probably the console with the most clones I've ever seen, even the damn muppets game is a space invaders clone, the second level being a frogger clone

Yes, that's how a lot of clones were classified. There are more original games on the 2600 then actual copies are games that are more copy then original. Or REAL CLONEE. Not correct. Now if he said there is no console that does not have at least 2 games copied from something else then that would be true. Saying there is not one console with the majority of the games being copies is just plain wrong.Another48hours

whether or not there are more original games or clones is something I don't bother with counting, with that said, I'm more inclined to say the atari 2600 has more clones then original games

That's a lie. Pac-man had nothing to do with the invention of dot games. Especially when dots already existed anyway in a form. Heck, Pac-man is probably the only game (except exact clones that change just the Yellow circle or so.) is the only game, even with clones, with those dot shapes. Most other Dots are smaller, white, bigger, squares, rectangles. Etc. In fact, saying if it wasn't for Pac-man is the same saying that if it wasn't for Sand, there would be no water.
#549 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -
maybe pac-man wasn't the first, but it certainly sparked dozens if not hundreds of clones for the atari also, your sand and water analogy makes no sense at all
#550 Posted by Another48hours (1954 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]maybe pac-man wasn't the first, but it certainly sparked dozens if not hundreds of clones for the atari also, your sand and water analogy makes no sense at all

Neither does your hundreds f Pac-Man clones. Most of the Pac-Man clones were on COMPETING CONSOLES. It's like saying you need Sand to make water, although Water clearly can make sand.