Slim ps2 only plays games on DVD not cd?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by gregbmil (2607 posts) -
A while back I was playing Rune: Viking Warlord. It's on a blue cd-rom disc. I always had to start the ps2 up and go to the browser and start the game from there, not really a big deal until today. Today I paid top dollar for what I think is the best Contra made, Shattered Soldier ($18 with no manual). I didn't mind because of how much I like the game. Anyways, when I put it into the ps2 slim it just turns off. It will play DVD rom games just fine, just not cd-rom games. Anyone else have this problem? Or any suggestions?
#3 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

Turns off? As in the console just turns itself off?

#4 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

Well, when the laser is on it's way out, quite often mine have stopped reading blue-bottom CD games very well (stutters, hiccups, and freezings), then after awhile, the thing dies altogether on reading anything... But I'm not sure about the powering-off thing... None of mine ever did that. Have you vacuumed out the ports to make sure it's not over-heating that's causing that particular wrinkle?

#5 Posted by tab134 (345 posts) -

I've had it and it's a common problem with slimlines, simply put the lens is worn out and you have to replace it. it'll slowly start losing the ability to play dvd games as well. luckily, you can order a replacement off of ebay for around ten bucks.

edit:mine stayed on, just didn't detect the games.

#6 Posted by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

PetJel
Yes, it works just fine until I put the game in. Then it makes a weird noise then shuts itself off. Still DVD games work like a charm
#7 Posted by PetJel (3723 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"]

gregbmil

Yes, it works just fine until I put the game in. Then it makes a weird noise then shuts itself off. Still DVD games work like a charm

Hm. The thing that strikes me as odd is how the console turns itself off :S I had 2 fat ps2's that had dirty / worn out lenses that couldn't read blue discs anymore, it's a pretty common problem; the lens wears out and it causes disc read error's (ps2 DRE if you want to google it).

After some cleaning or (if needed) lens replacement they would work fine again.
But I've never heard of a ps2 shutting itself off from a disc read error :|

I did a very quick google search myself and what I found was either related to modded consoles or people that had problems with voltages / the power adapter. Maybe that's something to look more into?

#8 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Turning itself off is highly unusual.

Not reading CD's or DVD's is quite common. Are you leaving it for long periods of time trying to read blue-bottom discs? Could be the shut-off is a safety mechanism to prevent overheating. Generally it should be obvious whether a game's going to work or not after just 10 seconds. If you leave it for any longer than that then you're only risking doing damage (sounds like it's too late now on yours).

If your console however is modded, then you can't possibly expect it to behave as normal and lasers on these units are said to wear out faster.

-

You can try cleaning the laser as others suggested, but it's most likely worn out. I've cleaned mine countless times and the console still refuses to read CD-ROM's and DVD movies. It's cheaper to buy a new laser (as long as you know someone who can fit it - not a home jobbie), easier to buy a new console.

#9 Posted by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

[QUOTE="gregbmil"][QUOTE="PetJel"]

PetJel

Hm. The thing that strikes me as odd is how the console turns itself off :S I had 2 fat ps2's that had dirty / worn out lenses that couldn't read blue discs anymore, it's a pretty common problem; the lens wears out and it causes disc read error's (ps2 DRE if you want to google it).

I did a very quick google search myself and what I found was either related to modded consoles or people that had problems with voltages / the power adapter. Maybe that's something to look more into?

That might be my problem then. My ps2 is not modded at all, but I am using a power adaptor that did not come with the system. When I get home later I will try a differant one and see what happens.

I will let you guys know, thanks!!!

#10 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

[QUOTE="PetJel"]

[QUOTE="gregbmil"]

Yes, it works just fine until I put the game in. Then it makes a weird noise then shuts itself off. Still DVD games work like a charmgregbmil

That might be my problem then. My ps2 is not modded at all, but I am using a power adaptor that did not come with the system. When I get home later I will try a differant one and see what happens.

I will let you guys know, thanks!!!

Use a SONY power adaptor. Though it may provide the same voltages, etc., equipment manufacturers often make their equipment with a proprietary need which only their power supplies properly administer, thus, you cannot use anyone else's (probably cheaper to purchase) stuff with their stuff. I work in the music biz, and a company called Alesis is known (and widely despised) for their power supplies being SO proprietary, that use of "outside" power supplies actually can DAMAGE the piece of gear being powered, by DESIGN... While Idon't think Sony has done anything so petulant or insideous with their hardware to ensure you spend your money with them, and only them, I wouldn't put it past them,

#11 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

i have an old fat ps2 (from like 2002) and it has issues with CDROM games. I just looked on youtube for some cleaning tutorials and that helped some. with the slim ps2 it might be the same way. you may just need to clean or replace the lens. but you need to be extra carefull and know there is a risk you might make it worse. a used ps2 doesnt cost that much, so it's worth a shot IMO.

edit:

and be SURE you ONLY use sony power adapters. It's not worth it to cut corners on a ps2.