Sleeping Dogs: Yet Another Overhyped, Badly Coded Game!

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Oil_Rope_Bombs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#151 Oil_Rope_Bombs
Member since 2010 • 2667 Posts

Or could it simply be a problem on your end? Controller connection dropping out, or battery being low dead, etc. Nobody is talking about this probably because nobody is experiencing this, or at least its not a prevailent problem.

Arath_1
Off-topic, but how did you get that signature? I want one too!
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#152 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
You know, I used to think it was the game's fault that the combat was so unresponsive. Then, I realized it was me sucking. So I stopped sucking, and guess what? The game started working again! Isn't it weird how it worked out like that?
MasterBrief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#153 MasterBrief
Member since 2007 • 56 Posts

Badly coded? I had some issues with it and a lock up or two but not too much trouble. The game was great it was the over all length of the game and replay value that killed it for me.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#154 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

You know, I used to think it was the game's fault that the combat was so unresponsive. Then, I realized it was me sucking. So I stopped sucking, and guess what? The game started working again! Isn't it weird how it worked out like that?JustPlainLucas

The game definitely has control issues but they are not insurmountable once you get used to the fighting system. The problem ususally comes when there are more than three or four opponents. When the group of opponents is larger, control response becomes more sluggish and if one opponent glows red while you are attacking another opponent, your attack will halt. That's not particularly good game design.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#155 capaho

Badly coded? I had some issues with it and a lock up or two but not too much trouble. The game was great it was the over all length of the game and replay value that killed it for me.

MasterBrief

The badly coded part was from an initial impression of the game that I have since recanted.

The key to extending the length of an open world game is to spend a lot of time milling about the open world environment. You can always find thugs to battle, do a race or a cock fight, etc. Otherwise, the game will be over too soon if you rush through the missions without doing much else.

The game has replay value for me. I had much trouble with the melee fighting control mechanics initially, so I plan to replay the game again once i get through it the first time so I can get off to a better start the second time around.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#156 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

[QUOTE="GuiseppeHB"]

I love this game and I think the hand to hand fighting/gun play and environment attacks are sick!

capaho

It's definitely not a run-of-the-mill game!

i really hate to assume, but you come of as a very pessimistic person. i mean, you're complaining about 'bugs' and the melee when there is really nothing to complain about. it's not the deepest melee system in an open world game of all time, but it sure is fun. thats what matters.. from what i read in this thread before, you seem to be playing this game as if you were testing the game before release or something alike. yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you're leaning towards negativity a lot more and you seem to be passing through the good stuff. i dont see what you see, but i just had to get that off my chest.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157 capaho

i really hate to assume, but you come of as a very pessimistic person. i mean, you're complaining about 'bugs' and the melee when there is really nothing to complain about. it's not the deepest melee system in an open world game of all time, but it sure is fun. thats what matters.. from what i read in this thread before, you seem to be playing this game as if you were testing the game before release or something alike. yes, you are entitled to your opinion, but you're leaning towards negativity a lot more and you seem to be passing through the good stuff. i dont see what you see, but i just had to get that off my chest.

Kocelot

It's not pessimism and it isn't really a complaint, per se, perhaps I'm too much of a perfectionist. I'm a software developer, so I tend to over-analyze all the software I buy.

In the case of Sleeping Dogs, the game sometimes doesn't appear to register button presses quickly enough during busy fighting scenes, diminishing the user's ability to respond effectively. The temporary suspension of control over the user's character when an AI opponent is glowing red is a particular annoyance to me. Suspending user control during a critical period in a fight is a cheap trick to increase the difficulty of the game without having to code in more complex fighting routines.

In any case, I've finally made peace with the game, so it is not my intention to continue to criticize it. I've yet to play a game that didn't have glitches.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158 capaho

Just to update, I'm still playing Sleeping Dogs and my basic perception of the control issues haven't changed. The user controls can get really sluggish in fights with a large number of opponents such that it appears to me that the game requires a precision in timing on the part of the player that the system is not capable of processing when there are many AI opponents.

Given the small number of individuals who have actually commented in this thread, I'm wondering how popular this game actually is. Are they even many people here who've played it?

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#159 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Just to update, I'm still playing Sleeping Dogs and my basic perception of the control issues haven't changed. The user controls can get really sluggish in fights with a large number of opponents such that it appears to me that the game requires a precision in timing on the part of the player that the system is not capable of processing when there are many AI opponents.

Given the small number of individuals who have actually commented in this thread, I'm wondering how popular this game actually is. Are they even many people here who've played it?

capaho

Amazing!

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

capaho

There are no gradients of user control that directly correlate to the amount of enemies on screen. Things do not become sluggish as more enemies pile up.

The larger mobs require crowd control strategies that include utilizing the arm and knee-break techniques and filling your meter to deliver more powerful blows. You can also move around and use the environment for instant-kills and it is also important to take advantage of weapons, as throwing them will waylay an enemy instantly.

You must also remain cognizant of the enemy types and exploit their weaknesses accordingly. Brutes for example can only be thrown when stunned and enemies with weapons can be instantly and effortlessly disarmed when your meter is full.

I get the sense that your experience with melee fighters in general is lacking because many of your issues stem not from any actual flaws in the game but rather a dearth in your ability to properly utilize the tools within this particular interactive construct. The strategies I allude to are staples of the genre and require a deeper commitment than blatant button-mashing.

All things considered, you should probably just move on and nab something else. There are far too many fantastic games out there to get hung up on one specific title that clearly doesn't cater to your particular taste or sensibilities.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#161 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="capaho"]

Grammaton-Cleric

There are no gradients of user control that directly correlate to the amount of enemies on screen. Things do not become sluggish as more enemies pile up.

The larger mobs require crowd control strategies that include utilizing the arm and knee-break techniques and filling your meter to deliver more powerful blows. You can also move around and use the environment for instant-kills and it is also important to take advantage of weapons, as throwing them will waylay an enemy instantly.

You must also remain cognizant of the enemy types and exploit their weaknesses accordingly. Brutes for example can only be thrown when stunned and enemies with weapons can be instantly and effortlessly disarmed when your meter is full.

I get the sense that your experience with melee fighters in general is lacking because many of your issues stem not from any actual flaws in the game but rather a dearth in your ability to properly utilize the tools within this particular interactive construct. The strategies I allude to are staples of the genre and require a deeper commitment than blatant button-mashing.

All things considered, you should probably just move on and nab something else. There are far too many fantastic games out there to get hung up on one specific title that clearly doesn't cater to your particular taste or sensibilities.

Another tip.

The best way to get brutes stunned is mixing up your combos and getting your face meter filled up. Once that's done, they are scared as all hell and you can then throw them or even tackle them to the ground and pound their face in, which is what I've done a lot during my time in the martial arts clubs.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162 capaho

Grammaton-Cleric

True, I've never been interested in melee games, so this is the first game I've played where melee was the predominant form of fighting. As far as blatant button mashing goes, FPS is my preferred genre, where I prefer to just blast my way through a fight, but that doesn't work here. It's a challenging adjustment in perspective. In any case, your fighting tips are noted and will be incorporated.

As far as moving on goes, I'm not inclined to give up on Sleeping Dogs. It's intriguing enough to keep me interested despite my frequent bouts of frustration over the control issues. It's actually a pretty good game aside from that. I am determined to conquer Sleeping Dogs. Who knows? If I'm into the melee enough by the time I finish it I might actually give Arkham Asylum a try next.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#163 capaho

Another tip.

The best way to get brutes stunned is mixing up your combos and getting your face meter filled up. Once that's done, they are scared as all hell and you can then throw them or even tackle them to the ground and pound their face in, which is what I've done a lot during my time in the martial arts clubs.

Metamania

Thanks for the tip on the brutes. When I get into a fight that has brutes I usually try to stay away from them until I've finished off the others. I've reached level seven on the face meter, which also helps in the melee fights with large numbers of opponents. I've been going to the fight clubs for practice, where the round 6/6 bouts are always the most challenging (and the most frustrating).

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#164 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

True, I've never been interested in melee games, so this is the first game I've played where melee was the predominant form of fighting. As far as blatant button mashing goes, FPS is my preferred genre, where I prefer to just blast my way through a fight, but that doesn't work here. It's a challenging adjustment in perspective. In any case, your fighting tips are noted and will be incorporated.

As far as moving on goes, I'm not inclined to give up on Sleeping Dogs. It's intriguing enough to keep me interested despite my frequent bouts of frustration over the control issues. It's actually a pretty good game aside from that. I am determined to conquer Sleeping Dogs. Who knows? If I'm into the melee enough by the time I finish it I might actually give Arkham Asylum a try next.

capaho

The combat in Arkham Asylum/City is much tighter and far easier. In those games the skill is in multiplying the score and utilizing the gadgets but you can also mash away while implementing the counter.

They basically designed the combat to be broadly accessible so that everyone can enjoy it on some level.

And I will state for the record that melee fighters can be a serious b**ch. The genre is predicated on arcade games where cheap shots were the norm; a way of siphoning quarters from the consumer. I happen to personally love these types of games but they are also among the most frustrating.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#165 capaho

The combat in Arkham Asylum/City is much tighter and far easier. In those games the skill is in multiplying the score and utilizing the gadgets but you can also mash away while implementing the counter.

They basically designed the combat to be broadly accessible so that everyone can enjoy it on some level.

And I will state for the record that melee fighters can be a serious b**ch. The genre is predicated on arcade games where cheap shots were the norm; a way of siphoning quarters from the consumer. I happen to personally love these types of games but they are also among the most frustrating.

Grammaton-Cleric

Yes, I can attest to the frustration, with Sleeping Dogs being my first serious foray into melee. I've actually gotten to like the melee fights, for the most part. It's the points in the fight where control over my character becomes momentarily suspended or when my character suddenly pops into a different stance or position from the one I put him in that drive me crazy. I really dislike losing control of my character at certain points in a fight, and that is what I'm referring to when I talk about control issues. That may not be an issue for you if you have a lot of experience with this type of game, but it's a big distraction for me.

Nonetheless, once I've reached the point where I can enjoy the game without getting frustrated over the setbacks, I may want to try another game with a similar fighting scheme. Arkham Asylum or Arkham City, or whatever that game series is, is frequently mentioned in other forums where people are discussing Sleeping Dogs, so I thought there might be enough similarities to pique my interest.

pob_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166 pob_31
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I totally agree and to the square enix employee who stated that it may be a controller issue I have 4 1 of which are brand new and each and every controller has the same lag experienced as the original poster describes plus I have collected all lock boxes and yet still don't have Mr Black costume which is by all accounts in 1 making it impossible for me to get my platinum i'm 1st to admit i'm a trophy whore what's the point if you can't show off to the world will i buy another title from the makers NOT ANY TIME SOON
pob_31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#167 pob_31
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
If you thought this thread should have died 7 pages ago why still post? I would like you to really think about that answer.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#169 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I totally agree and to the square enix employee who stated that it may be a controller issue I have 4 1 of which are brand new and each and every controller has the same lag experienced as the original poster describes plus I have collected all lock boxes and yet still don't have Mr Black costume which is by all accounts in 1 making it impossible for me to get my platinum i'm 1st to admit i'm a trophy whore what's the point if you can't show off to the world will i buy another title from the makers NOT ANY TIME SOONpob_31

Was this post really worth reviving the thread for?