Sleeping Dogs: Yet Another Overhyped, Badly Coded Game!

• 169 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#51 S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

I am pleased to report that I have finally mastered the melee fighting system. The secret is simply to get a car or truck and run them all down. I haven't tried it on a main mission yet, but it works for the drug busts and the random thug encounters.

capaho

I think this kind of attitude is just going to rub people the wrong way. I gave you quite a few tips on how to improve with the combat, but you continue attacking a very solid combat engine as 'idiotic','annoying', 'stupid' or something broken that needs to be fixed with a patch.

And now instead of learning the game, and doing the tutorials, you are ridiculing it. I get it, you are not into melee games, but now that you do have one, why not learn it? Why be so stubborn about it? Why put yourself through a miserable experience when you can simply go to the kung fu instructor and practice moves there? And above all, why come here and make a comment like that to people who are trying to give you advice on how to play melee games?

I understand that some people are stubborn and dont like to admit they're wrong. I also understand that being called out on a message board can put some people on the defensive. But we are all gamers here on this board, and we're simply here to talk about games and have a friendly discussion every once in a while. Your refusal to accept your shortcomings when it comes to melee games, and putting the blame on a perfectly fine combat system is not going to win you any friends here. Now you can argue that you are not here to make friends, and it's just your opinion, but what's the point of posting on a message board where everyone cant stand your stubborness?

The combat opens up a lot as you find the statues and unlock new moves. You dont need to be a master of action games to be good at combat in Sleeping Dogs. You just need to go in with an open mind and not blame the world for seeing something in a game that you flat out refuse to see.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#52 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="capaho"]

I am pleased to report that I have finally mastered the melee fighting system. The secret is simply to get a car or truck and run them all down. I haven't tried it on a main mission yet, but it works for the drug busts and the random thug encounters.

S0lidSnake

You're kidding, right?

Here's a question I have for you. Have you visited the dojang and learned how to deal with each kind of attacker in the game? Have you learned any new moves whatsoever? I honestly don't see why you are not learning how to counter properly either, for that matter. This is going to hurt you and I don't care if it does, because I'm just being honest and truthful, but you haven't mastered the melee combat system whatsoever. In fact, the technique that you described is cowardly, at best. I, on the other hand, had NO PROBLEM with the game's combat system. Melee the Y button to death is going to get you NOWHERE and unfortunately, you haven't digested this fact at all. What a freaking shame. All you're doing is running away from the combat system, not embracing it.

I think he was being sarcastic.

I was going to say that it was his attempt at being humorous and being true, but he beat me to the punch. Plus, I felt no sarcasm with what he said previously.

Avatar image for Grammaton-Cleric
Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Grammaton-Cleric
Member since 2002 • 7515 Posts

Sigh! I never really know how to respond to your comments in a way that you will understand.

There is value in the game in that the open world exploration is fun and the missions are exciting enough, per se. I gave the game a 1/10 because the absurd melee fighting system wrecks the game. You may not agree with it, but that's why I did it. It has nothing to do with anlytical skills. It's an expression of disgust over ruining what should have been a thoroughly enjoyable game. Square Enix blew it on this one and they deserve to be bashed until they release a patch that fixes it.

Otherwise, I ignore most of your comments because they aren't relevant. You didn't shred any of my arguments because I didn't make any. It's my subjective assessment of the game based on my experiences with it, there is nothing to debate.

capaho

Actually, you made several very specific critiques regarding the fighting engine and that was what I responded to because much of what you have written is factually incorrect.

It's adorable that you think there is a lack of comprehension on my end given how often you've back-peddled in your own analysis.

And yes, even making general statements about the quality of a game constitutes an analysis, albeit a poorly-supported one.

I also notice you didn't bother to cite specific examples of the personal attacks you claimed I levied against you. As a point of fact, you haven't seen fit to rebut anything I've written and instead you drone on laboriously about my lack of cognitive reasoning and how sacrosanct your little opinion is.

And yes, I turned your pedestrian and uninformed analysis of the combat into so much confetti. Feel free to offer a rebuttal or just keep dodging the issue.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Grammaton-Cleric

[QUOTE="capaho"]

S0lidSnake

I think this kind of attitude is just going to rub people the wrong way. I gave you quite a few tips on how to improve with the combat, but you continue attacking a very solid combat engine as 'idiotic','annoying', 'stupid' or something broken that needs to be fixed with a patch.

And now instead of learning the game, and doing the tutorials, you are ridiculing it. I get it, you are not into melee games, but now that you do have one, why not learn it? Why be so stubborn about it? Why put yourself through a miserable experience when you can simply go to the kung fu instructor and practice moves there? And above all, why come here and make a comment like that to people who are trying to give you advice on how to play melee games?

I understand that some people are stubborn and dont like to admit they're wrong. I also understand that being called out on a message board can put some people on the defensive. But we are all gamers here on this board, and we're simply here to talk about games and have a friendly discussion every once in a while. Your refusal to accept your shortcomings when it comes to melee games, and putting the blame on a perfectly fine combat system is not going to win you any friends here. Now you can argue that you are not here to make friends, and it's just your opinion, but what's the point of posting on a message board where everyone cant stand your stubborness?

The combat opens up a lot as you find the statues and unlock new moves. You dont need to be a master of action games to be good at combat in Sleeping Dogs. You just need to go in with an open mind and not blame the world for seeing something in a game that you flat out refuse to see.

AMEN.

If you read this thread from the beginning it is abundantly clear that he was looking to trash this game and was more than willing to manufacture evidence to do so. He originally claimed the game was coded poorly and went on some tangent about various retail copies (that do not exist) and claimed other people were having the same input problems. When I asked him to provide evidence of this after my own inquiries turned up nothing, he gave me a link to a crappy user-review that didn't even mention the issue.

He then returned to the thread claiming the game was coded poorly but done so on purpose and that is when I proceeded to eviscerate his criticisms. As you can see, he has been unwilling to directly rebut what I wrote.

As others noted, the problem is him, not the game. While I'll readily admit Sleeping Dog's melee system isn't as tight as something like Arkham, it's still quite good, highly playable, and incredibly elastic in terms of how the player can choose to implement the combat.

He clearly has no affinity for melee (he actually thinks the combat in SD is difficult) yet rather than admit this and move on he's dedicated to trying to slander the game.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

So I bought this game last week but haven't gotten around to playing it... should I play it or return it (haven't opened it up yet)?

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#56 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

I think he was being sarcastic.

capaho

The comment was meant to be humorous, but it's also true. I did complete a drug bust by running down most of the thugs with a truck. My apologies to those who are really into the melee fighting in Sleeping Dogs, but my patience with it is rather limited.

This is true.

Its not bad, its just extremely average.

Its meant to be Prince of Persia/AC/ Batman style combat but its just nowhere near as good.

Plus you can just run them over yes :lol:

Ilovegames1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 Ilovegames1992
Member since 2010 • 14221 Posts

Wait are some people genuinely finding the fighting system hard?

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#58 capaho
Member since 2003 • 1253 Posts

So I bought this game last week but haven't gotten around to playing it... should I play it or return it (haven't opened it up yet)?

Vari3ty

That just depends on what you like in a game. The open world aspect of Sleeping Dogs is decent and the missions are good. My problem specifically is that I am not fond of melee fighting in general and the melee fighting system in this game seriously annoys me. If melee is not an issue for you and you have the patience to learn the cumbersome fighting techniques, then you will probably enjoy it.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Metamania

[QUOTE="Vari3ty"]

capaho

That just depends on what you like in a game. The open world aspect of Sleeping Dogs is decent and the missions are good. My problem specifically is that I am not fond of melee fighting in general and the melee fighting system in this game seriously annoys me. If melee is not an issue for you and you have the patience to learn the cumbersome fighting techniques, then you will probably enjoy it.

You don't get it, do you? Sleeping Dogs is not a melee brawler like how Final Fight or Double Dragon is. You can't simply just mash the attack button all the time and expect to win every battle placed in front of you. S0lid, Grammaton, and myself (along with others) have been giving you useful tips and advice and all you're doing is complaining and then being truthful (and humorous) about running over people. While that solves the problem of killing in the game, it certainly doesn't solve your problem in getting better at the melee system. We aren't having a problem with it and you know what? It certainly is NOT the game's fault whatsoever, code programming or not. Why can you not understand that at all?

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 capaho

Ilovegames1992

It isn't that it's too hard, for me it's just another one of those annoying button-mashing extravaganzas that some game developers are too fond of. Press the B-button while holding down the A-button, then press the X-button. Seriously? How many thumbs do you need on your right hand for that to be practical on an Xbox 360 gamepad?

The fighting is contrived, it doesn't have a natural flow. I don't have a time-sensitive Y-button to press in a real fight and I don't freeze in place and wait to be pummeled if my timing isn't exact. The melee fighting system tries my patience beyond my tolerance level. I'd rather just hijack the nearest delivery truck and have a squish-a-thon. I'm more interested in the game's value as an open world adventure. I'll go to the clinic if I want to take a manual dexterity test.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 capaho

You don't get it, do you? Sleeping Dogs is not a melee brawler like how Final Fight or Double Dragon is. You can't simply just mash the attack button all the time and expect to win every battle placed in front of you. S0lid, Grammaton, and myself (along with others) have been giving you useful tips and advice and all you're doing is complaining and then being truthful (and humorous) about running over people. While that solves the problem of killing in the game, it certainly doesn't solve your problem in getting better at the melee system. We aren't having a problem with it and you know what? It certainly is NOT the game's fault whatsoever, code programming or not. Why can you not understand that at all?

Metamania

I can say with certainty that I am not confused about my perceptions of Sleeping Dogs, even if my comments do seem to confuse others at times. I did initially think that the coding was broken because of that annoying "feature" of locking out character control briefly if the Y-button press is not timed precisely, but I have since stated that I realize that is part of the game design, for better or for worse. Beyond that, I simply don't like the melee fighting system in Sleeping Dogs. It isn't that I can't learn it, it's just that I don't want to spend a substantial portion of my game time dealing with it. Melee just isn't my thing, and Sleeping Dogs melee really isn't my thing.

Kocelot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#62 Kocelot
Member since 2011 • 816 Posts

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

capaho

It isn't that it's too hard, for me it's just another one of those annoying button-mashing extravaganzas that some game developers are too fond of. Press the B-button while holding down the A-button, then press the X-button. Seriously? How many thumbs do you need on your right hand for that to be practical on an Xbox 360 gamepad?

The fighting is contrived, it doesn't have a natural flow. I don't have a time-sensitive Y-button to press in a real fight and I don't freeze in place and wait to be pummeled if my timing isn't exact. The melee fighting system tries my patience beyond my tolerance level. I'd rather just hijack the nearest delivery truck and have a squish-a-thon. I'm more interested in the game's value as an open world adventure. I'll go to the clinic if I want to take a manual dexterity test.

Wow. And here I am, thinking video games were made for FUN. I also like how ppl on the internet type like they're writing a report for their class, to make themselves seem smarter. Lol
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="capaho"]

[QUOTE="Ilovegames1992"]

Kocelot

Wow. And here I am, thinking video games were made for FUN. I also like how ppl on the internet type like they're writing a report for their class, to make themselves seem smarter. Lol

I'm guessing you haven't taken many English classes then...

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 capaho

Wow. And here I am, thinking video games were made for FUN. I also like how ppl on the internet type like they're writing a report for their class, to make themselves seem smarter. LolKocelot

It's been a while since some of us have had to write a report for a class.

You are right in thinking that games were made for fun, or at least should be. Unfortunately for me, I have too many calcified bone fractures in my hands from too many real life melee fights during my young and foolish years. My fingers are not nimble enough to flail about a gamepad like a teenage gymnast on a pommel horse. A button-mashing, gamepad-thrashing frenzy is an unpleasant task for me, it degrades the enjoyability of the game experience rather than enhances it.

Sometimes I think game makers don't really know where their market demographics are. They are no more tuned in to accessibility issues than they are to other issues of diversity or human compassion. The vast majority of games are sexist, heterosexist, sometimes racist and definitely not designed for people who have any issues that limit physical performance. Some of the button combinations in Sleeping Dogs are nothing short of absurd for those of us who have long since departed high school.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65 capaho

In playing the game further I have discovered that any control use just prior to an opponent glowing red will lock out user control for a couple of seconds, even something as innocuous and necessary as turning around to face an opponent approaching from behind. That's inexcusably bad! I've also noticed that my health meter sometimes goes from full to almost dead after only one or two hits from an opponent. The melee fighting scheme in this game defies logical explanation. Maybe the Xbox 360 version is just too glitchy, I'd hate to think the game was actually designed to play this way.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 S0lidSnake

In playing the game further I have discovered that any control use just prior to an opponent glowing red will lock out user control for a couple of seconds, even something as innocuous and necessary as turning around to face an opponent approaching from behind. That's inexcusably bad! I've also noticed that my health meter sometimes goes from full to almost dead after only one or two hits from an opponent. The melee fighting scheme in this game defies logical explanation. Maybe the Xbox 360 version is just too glitchy, I'd hate to think the game was actually designed to play this way.

capaho

I dont know wtf you are talking about anymore.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67 capaho

S0lidSnake
Read the comment first, then reply. That's usually the best method.
S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

capaho

Read the comment first, then reply.

Reading your comments and your thread was the biggest mistake I made this week. At this point you are just making up sh*t.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

This is a fascinating thread. The TC has gone from broken game (disproved) to broken hands (disprove that PGD!).

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Grammaton-Cleric

capaho

Again, your analysis is entirely untrue.

You can evade, strike or counter when an enemy turns red. At no point is your character rendered unplayable.

Also, there isn't a single opponent, bosses included, that drains the life gauge with one attack.

Like Solid already stated, at this juncture you are clearly manufacturing criticism.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 capaho

Reading your comments and your thread was the biggest mistake I made this week. At this point you are just making up sh*t.

S0lidSnake

No, actually. The truth is, I really want to like this game. In fact, I like most aspects of it. The problem for me is that every time I come up against the control issues in a melee fight it kills off whatever enjoyment I had up to that point. It's a pity.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73 capaho

This is a fascinating thread. The TC has gone from broken game (disproved) to broken hands (disprove that PGD!).

CarnageHeart

My point simply is that the button combinations for some of the fighting techniques are ridiculous for those of us who have less than perfect dexterity. The melee fighting in Sleeping Dogs isn't really about fighting skill, strategy or technique. It's merely about adroit manipulation of the game controller itself.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 capaho

Again, your analysis is entirely untrue.

You can evade, strike or counter when an enemy turns red. At no point is your character rendered unplayable.

Also, there isn't a single opponent, bosses included, that drains the life gauge with one attack.

Like Solid already stated, at this juncture you are clearly manufacturing criticism.

Grammaton-Cleric

How many times, on average, did you have to repeat a fight before you successfully completed it when you played the Xbox 360 version of Sleeping Dogs?

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Grammaton-Cleric

How many times, on average, did you have to repeat a fight before you successfully completed it when you played the Xbox 360 version of Sleeping Dogs?

capaho

I rarely had to repeat fights, especially after I upgraded the character a bit.

Now, with my character fully maxed out, I can play through any of the martial art school challenges and win easily.

The crux to the Sleeping Dogs combat is the three character types and understanding how to dismantle each accordingly. You must also take into account issues such as crowd control and using the environment for instant kills to thin the ranks. As to the counter system, there is a stiff penalty for activating the counter too soon, though one of the upgrades reduces this window.

Also, building up the meter allows you to take out enemies faster. It is also worth noting that weapons, especially when tossed, eliminate opponents quickly.

I'd estimate my success ratio was between 75-80% even as I was upgrading my character.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 Metamania

[QUOTE="capaho"]

Grammaton-Cleric

Now, with my character fully maxed out, I can play through any of the martial art school challenges and win easily.

The crux to the Sleeping Dogs combat is the three character types and understanding how to dismantle each accordingly. You must also take into account issues such as crowd control and using the environment for instant kills to thin the ranks. As to the counter system, there is a stiff penalty for activating the counter too soon, though one of the upgrades reduces this window.

Also, building up the meter allows you to take out enemies faster. It is also worth noting that weapons, especially when tossed, eliminate opponents quickly.

I'd estimate my success ratio was between 75-80% even as I was upgrading my character.

If he thinks Sleeping Dogs is this hard or broken, wait until he plays something like Batman: Arkham City or Asylum.....

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 Metamania

[QUOTE="CarnageHeart"]

capaho

My point simply is that the button combinations for some of the fighting techniques are ridiculous for those of us who have less than perfect dexterity. The melee fighting in Sleeping Dogs isn't really about fighting skill, strategy or technique. It's merely about adroit manipulation of the game controller itself.

That is some of the biggest bulls*** I've ever heard. It has NOTHING to do with the manipulation of the game controller. It has to do exactly what what you described - your skill and how you handle the fights. You are still on this mindset that meleeing everything to death is your answer to conquering every battle.

I got a news flash for you; IT ISN"T! If the game bothers you this much (however minor or insignificant your reasons are), then your best option is to just not play the damn game anymore. None of us have a problem with the game whatsoever. I'll be blunt with you one more time; you are having problems with this game BECAUSE OF YOU. Not because of the game. The game has nothing to do with it. Good or decent videogames, such as this one, give you the necessary tools to succeed. It is up to the player to use those tools to succeed. Unfortunately, you are not using them at all. What a damn shame...

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 capaho

Grammaton-Cleric

Congratulations, you finally surprised me, that reply was actually helpful. As I have mentioned previously, melee really isn't my thing, so I just try to slug my way through as quickly as possible, usually with unsatisfying results. Your comments this time around have actually given me some insight into the game strategy.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#79 capaho

If he thinks Sleeping Dogs is this hard or broken, wait until he plays something like Batman: Arkham City or Asylum.....

Metamania

The Batman series doesn't appeal to me, so don't worry too much.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 capaho

That is some of the biggest bulls*** I've ever heard. It has NOTHING to do with the manipulation of the game controller. It has to do exactly what what you described - your skill and how you handle the fights. You are still on this mindset that meleeing everything to death is your answer to conquering every battle.

I got a news flash for you; IT ISN"T! If the game bothers you this much (however minor or insignificant your reasons are), then your best option is to just not play the damn game anymore. None of us have a problem with the game whatsoever. I'll be blunt with you one more time; you are having problems with this game BECAUSE OF YOU. Not because of the game. The game has nothing to do with it. Good or decent videogames, such as this one, give you the necessary tools to succeed. It is up to the player to use those tools to succeed. Unfortunately, you are not using them at all. What a damn shame...

Metamania

I take it civility is a real challenge for you.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

capaho

I take it civility is a real challenge for you.

No, it's not. I'm being honest and truthful with what I say. If you can't handle honesty or truth, then it's not my problem.

capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 capaho

No, it's not. I'm being honest and truthful with what I say. If you can't handle honesty or truth, then it's not my problem.

Metamania

I was referring to civility in relation to the meaning of the word civility. I am being honest and truthful about my perceptions of the game as well. Your replies to my comments are not civil.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 El_Zo1212o
Member since 2009 • 6057 Posts

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

capaho

I was referring to civility in relation to the meaning of the word civility. I am being honest and truthful about my perceptions of the game as well. Your replies to my comments are not civil.

[/QUOTE Coupl'a things: 1. Good to see you, Gram- and in such perfect form. 2. A better word would have been "tact." But of course, I can see where ol' MM's patience could have worn thin with you. After all, I believe he was the first person to try and make you understand that button mashing was exactly the wrong way to approach combat. Ever since Batman: Arkham Asylum reinvented("revolutionized" wouldn't be too strong a word) the modern beat em up, button mashing has been rendered entirely ineffective. And you compare the combat system in the game to real life, claiming that one is never rendered completely immobile by making a wrong move- this is ridiculous. You claim to have been in several fights in your youth. Are you expecting us to believe you've never taken a blow because you zigged when you should have zagged? Nonsense. If you misinterpret the flow of combat in the game, you take a hit- sometimes several. And finally, when you stoop to vicious attacks on a game universally well received before you even understand it, can you really claim surprise that people chide you for it? Whether you interpret it as attacks or use any other negative term to describe it, at the end of the day you brought it on yourself. The moral of the story here is an old one, but a good one: don't knock it until you try it. Or in this case, until you understand it.
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 capaho

Coupl'a things: 1. Good to see you, Gram- and in such perfect form. 2. A better word would have been "tact." But of course, I can see where ol' MM's patience could have worn thin with you. After all, I believe he was the first person to try and make you understand that button mashing was exactly the wrong way to approach combat. Ever since Batman: Arkham Asylum reinvented("revolutionized" wouldn't be too strong a word) the modern beat em up, button mashing has been rendered entirely ineffective. And you compare the combat system in the game to real life, claiming that one is never rendered completely immobile by making a wrong move- this is ridiculous. You claim to have been in several fights in your youth. Are you expecting us to believe you've never taken a blow because you zigged when you should have zagged? Nonsense. If you misinterpret the flow of combat in the game, you take a hit- sometimes several. And finally, when you stoop to vicious attacks on a game universally well received before you even understand it, can you really claim surprise that people chide you for it? Whether you interpret it as attacks or use any other negative term to describe it, at the end of the day you brought it on yourself. The moral of the story here is an old one, but a good one: don't knock it until you try it. Or in this case, until you understand it.

El_Zo1212o

I was actually referring to civility.

The game is not universally accepted nor are my comments a vicious attack. I am genuinely disappointed in the game's design. Criticizing me for criticizing the game mearly demonstrates a lack of understanding. It's not an issue that is worth becoming emotionally distraught over. There are elements of the game that are intriguing and I was hoping to have a civil discussion regarding the merits or lack thereof of various aspects of the game's design. Perhaps that's not possible in this forum.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#85 El_Zo1212o
I was actually referring to civility.The game is not universally accepted nor are my comments a vicious attack. I am genuinely disappointed in the game's design. Criticizing me for criticizing the game mearly(sic) demonstrates a lack of understanding. It's not an issue that is worth becoming emotionally distraught over. There are elements of the game that are intriguing and I was hoping to have a civil discussion regarding the merits or lack thereof of various aspects of the game's design. Perhaps that's not possible in this forum.capaho
If you want to split hairs, nothing is ever "universally" well received, but averaging 80% after 45 reviews is about as close as you can get to it. You weren't looking for any kind of rational discussion. At least not before the last post on the third page when you figured out how the game worked. The title speaks for itself: "Sleeping Dogs: Yet Another Overhyped, Badly Coded Game!" [QUOTE="capaho"]In theory, at least, there should be a lot to like about Sleeping Dogs. In reality, however, the melee combat system is so badly coded it ruins the game. I have been thoroughly frustrated by how sluggish and unresponsive the game is to the button presses. In one glaring incident, I pressed the X button three times for three punches only to have my character stand motionless until he was attacked by two opponents, then punched the air three times after the health was significantly depleted, not responding to the gamepad input until after the opponents attacked. The same thing happens when pressing the Y button to evade attacks. button press registers too slowly to have any affect(sic). For a game that is so heavily dependent on melee action, the controller lag time is appalling. The bigger mystery is, how can such a badly coded game be so highly rated by so many users? Are the user reviews being constantly skewed by shills for the game makers?

Sounds pretty vicious to me. And if you had read my post closely, you'd have noted that I was criticizing you for criticizing a game before you bothered to understand it. Looks like I've got you on two counts of 'lack of understanding.'
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#86 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

capaho

Oh yes I am being civil and perhaps "tact" too, as El referred. You will NEVER convince me otherwise.

I'm done with this thread. You can't be convinced of anything except for how bad you are in the game. For the last time, button mashing will get you nowhere in a videogame. If you think punching or kicking someone to death, in a real-life fight, is going to work, go ahead and try it. But you'll lose. Same thing here.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#87 El_Zo1212o

[QUOTE="capaho"]

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

Metamania

Oh yes I am being civil and perhaps "tact" too, as El referred. You will NEVER convince me otherwise.

I'm done with this thread. You can't be convinced of anything except for how bad you are in the game. For the last time, button mashing will get you nowhere in a videogame. If you think punching or kicking someone to death, in a real-life fight, is going to work, go ahead and try it. But you'll lose. Same thing here.

That'd be "tactful." And I think he gets it now, but he's been backpedaling on too many fronts to be taken seriously, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#88 Metamania

[QUOTE="Metamania"]

[QUOTE="capaho"]

El_Zo1212o

That'd be "tactful." And I think he gets it now, but he's been backpedaling on too many fronts to be taken seriously, so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

I won't be anymore, friend. I'll see you on XBL! :)

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#89 S0lidSnake

Wow. El_zo is my new favorite poster.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#90 El_Zo1212o

Wow. El_zo is my new favorite poster.

S0lidSnake
*bows* *waves* *whispers* And the name's "ZoRRo," good buddy. ;)
capaho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#91 capaho

Sigh! I'm guessing i'm the only adult in this discussion. Not to disparage high school students, but this obviously not the forum for rational discourse.

Sayonara.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#92 Grammaton-Cleric

Sigh! I'm guessing i'm the only adult in this discussion. Not to disparage high school students, but this obviously not the forum for rational discourse.

Sayonara.

capaho

I genuinely tried to be civil with you on more than one occasion, as did several others.

Perhaps you don't see it but some of your comments are incredibly defensive and combative and you even delved into personal derision rather than stick to the topic.

For what it's worth, I don't see you as some nasty troll looking to pick a fight but some of the things you've written in this thread deserved the harsh rebuttals.

I've got nothing against you personally but I do take umbrage at the notion that the discussion in this forum isn't intellectually stimulating. I'd venture to say this place offers some of the most intelligent discourse on the medium you are likely to find, though the cost of posting here is frankly a bit higher than some people are willing to pay because in the GGD, there is an expectation of evidence, logic and support to back up an opinion.

I hope you choose to stay because respect and intelligent discussion can pay some hefty and gratifying dividends.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#93 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

Sayonara.

capaho

*Shakes fist* He was the best of us and you guys chased him away with your 'logic' and 'facts'. Damn you all!

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#94 Metamania

Sayonara.

capaho

Last I checked, I graduated high school and college, so I'm quite frankly certain that I'm a mature adult that's capable enough to handle any situations. Please do us all a favor and don't assume ever. Makes you look like an ass. Then again, you've already done that, didn't you?

I thought so.

/end thread.

El_Zo1212o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#95 El_Zo1212o

I genuinely tried to be civil with you on more than one occasion, as did several others.

Perhaps you don't see it but some of your comments are incredibly defensive and combative and you even delved into personal derision rather than stick to the topic.

For what it's worth, I don't see you as some nasty troll looking to pick a fight but some of the things you've written in this thread deserved the harsh rebuttals.

I've got nothing against you personally but I do take umbrage at the notion that the discussion in this forum isn't intellectually stimulating. I'd venture to say this place offers some of the most intelligent discourse on the medium you are likely to find, though the cost of posting here is frankly a bit higher than some people are willing to pay because in the GGD, there is an expectation of evidence, logic and support to back up an opinion.

I hope you choose to stay because respect and intelligent discussion can pay some hefty and gratifying dividends.

Grammaton-Cleric
And then there's this guy:

[QUOTE="capaho"]

Sayonara.

CarnageHeart

*Shakes fist* He was the best of us and you guys chased him away with your 'logic' and 'facts'. Damn you all!

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#96 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="capaho"]

Sayonara.

CarnageHeart

lol.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#97 S0lidSnake

Grammaton-Cleric

This. Glad you said, I dont consider him a troll either.

capaho, Contrary to what you think, we actually did try to have an adult discussion.

I actually clicked on your profile to see if I should waste my time and see If I was talking to an adult. Seeing that you joined 9 years ago, I assumed you were at least 22 which was good enough for me. Not sure if you noticed, but I changed my tone straight away and wrote a very detailed reply with absolutely no harsh arguments, and kept it very friendly. But time and time again, you were the one who went back to false arguments, childish assertions and a very dismissive tone. Dont expect anyone to respond to you nicely after you keep making ridiculous comments that are flat out false.

I said it before, I too have had problems adjusting to melee combat in video games. I picked up God of War after hearing amazing things about it, but just didn't find the combat satisfying or rewarding. Everytime I encountered an enemy, it was a turn off and after a couple of hours of dying over and over again I simply turned off the game, and returned it. I did not make a thread about it being overhyped, difficult or make up stuff about the combat engine. I said to myself that this game/genre is simply not for me and moved on.

Four years later, I decided to give God of War 2 a chance after seeing some fantastic gameplay videos, and played the game on Easy to not get bogged down by the combat. By the end of the game I had a good understanding of the game's combat engine.... the blocking, the parrying, evading, learning to mind my surroundings etc. I was shocked at how fluid, simplistic and rewarding it was. A few months later God of War 3 came out and I platinumed it by finishing it on Hard.

Same with Batman Arkham Asylum. I fumbled my way through the game on my first playthrough, tried the Hard mode, failed miserably in the very first fight and didn't play it for two years. Went back to it, played some combat challenges, watched some youtube vids, talked about mastering the combat engine on this very forum, and not only finished the game on Hard but also aced all the combat challenges to earn a platinum. And now I consider the game's combat engine to be the best new combat engine this gen.

Point is that you have to keep an open mind and learn the game instead of bashing it. Not everyone can play melee games and master them straight away, especially if they have never played one before. This is one of the easiest melee games out there if you consider the fact that there are several instant kill enviornmental traps in every area. You just have to press B and walk them over to the enviornmental hazard and that's it. Just one button press.

Lastly, some of us here are in our late 20s, early to mid 30s.... we have our off days where we act like kids (this mostly applies to me) but this is one of the few forums where you will see actual discussion, even if it occassionly gets heated.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#98 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

but this obviously not the forum for rational discourse.capaho

Bullsh*t.

Compared to literally every other board on GameSpot, this is the place to go for calm, rational discussion. This is the only place where civil discourse is practically guaranteed, as every other board is rife with volatility. Perhaps you'd see that if you were open to participating in actual discussion instead of being dismissive and combative at every turn.

Grammaton-Cleric

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#99 Grammaton-Cleric

Lastly, some of us here are in our late 20s, early to mid 30s.... we have our off days where we act like kids (this mostly applies to me) but this is one of the few forums where you will see actual discussion, even if it occassionly gets heated.

S0lidSnake

I still cringe at that little dust up you and I had a while back because frankly, it's people like you, Carnage, Meta and so many others who keep me coming back here.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#100 S0lidSnake

[QUOTE="S0lidSnake"]

Grammaton-Cleric

I still cringe at that little dust up you and I had a while back because frankly, it's people like you, Carnage, Meta and so many others who keep me coming back here.

It's ok. TBH, I dont mind the heated discusssions at all. I see them as entertaining and yeah, while it's cringeworthy looking back at some of my posts I still like it for the passion everyone puts in their posts.

I'm looking forward to the next gen console reveals. They always bring out the best and worst of us. :lol: