Sixth generation: Metal Gear Solid vs Splinter Cell.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26734 posts) -

I have to confess before we get started. I've only played one Splinter Cell game (the very first one on the GameCube) and STILL playing through my first Metal Gear game (MGS2: Sons of Liberty on XBOX 360 through the HD collection), so I can't comment on my thoughts, but I still ask, which series did you like better?

Metal Gear Solid

Originals:
MGS2: Sons of Liberty (PS2)
MGS3: Snake Eater (PS2)

Remakes/re-releases:
MGS: Twin Snakes (GameCube)- A remake of the original PlayStation game
MGS2: Substance (PC, PS2, XBOX)
MGS3: Subsistence (PS2)

Splinter Cell series (all were multiplat on XBOX, PS2, PC*, and GameCube)

*See Double Agent's note below

Splinter Cell
Splinter Cell: Pandora Tomorrow
Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory
Splinter Cell: Double Agent- Note that this version is different than the seventh generation version (the PC version being the same as the 360/PS3 versions)

---

Choose your favorite series and perhaps your favorite game in each series!

Discuss.

#2 Posted by Legendaryscmt (12532 posts) -

That's actually kinda hard for me. Stealth wise, Splinter Cell takes it with ease. I'd probably lean a little more towards Metal Gear though.

#3 Posted by Dexter-010 (533 posts) -
Splinter Cell got my vote for this round. Never played a Metal Gear game for this generation.
#4 Posted by Legend002 (7163 posts) -

MGS is overall the more polished franchise imo.

#5 Posted by Lucianu (9427 posts) -

Splinter Cell is much better mechanically (controls/camera/stealth, etc.).

But i vastly prefer Metal Gear Solid, it just has to much of a crazy japanese charm and memorable characters.

#6 Posted by SonOfChewbacca (653 posts) -

MGS for the action and cinematic aspects.

SC for the stealth and realism.

Overall, I enjoyed Splinter Cell more from a gameplay perspective. The singleplayer portions were solid and had that great Tom Clancy feel to them, but the multiplayer in PT and CT was just amazing, even with the steep learning curve.

#7 Posted by BranKetra (48625 posts) -
Metal Gear Solid is the better franchise. Splinter Cell is fun and charming, but the characters in MGS are more charismatic and the dialog is more intellectual which is why a wider audience enjoys the series.
#8 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
I love both series. But I have to give it to Splinter Cell, the stealth is much better in it. And just the overall gameplay. MGS's ocasional over-the-topness kinda put me off sometimes.
#9 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
Love both franchises but Metal Gear wins it for me. The first two Splinter Cell games revolve far too much around trial and error gameplay.
#10 Posted by Obviously_Right (5096 posts) -

Metal Gear, easily.

#11 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I enjoyed Spliter Cell up untill Double Agent.

I only enjoyed the first MGS from MGS series so I'd say Spliter Cell. (which I also think had better gameplay and graphics)

#12 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -
I prefer to have options and don't like to be forced to use stealth all the time. So MGS of course.