Single Player Gaming - Dead?

• 69 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

I am definetly on edge more than playing a single player game, but thats just the nature of real human competition, playing a real human gets the blood pumping a lot more than some AI. What really screws with me is voicechat, I am not a trash talker,Ifeelout of place talking to random people,put a headset on me and I have no clue what to say. Very rarely do I ever see a random group ever working well together, so I find voice chat without friends almost pointless. Now with a group of friends for sure, or with you guys if we set up a team or something that would be cool but for the most part I just stay quiet unless spoken to. Also I do find the people online to be scary, not in the am intimidated scary, more likethis is sad for the human race scary.

dvader654

I hear you about headsets... I don't understand trashtalkers, and I generally won't put my headset on unless I know other people in a match. 
EDIT: I just thought of something else, I think we feel the same way, when I am online I lose that sense of patience or calmness I can have when I play alone. Sometimes I like to take me time, sometimes I just want to play my way, when online I feel I lose that and it does change the way I play.dvader654

Edit in response to your edit:  Yeah, I don't like feeling rushed when I play games, and there is something about online where you have to be in the mood to approach it with 100% aggression to feel like you are getting your money's worth, and that isn't how I play offline.
Avatar image for freakyzeeky1986
freakyzeeky1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#52 freakyzeeky1986
Member since 2005 • 19711 Posts
I really doubt that single player games are dying... There are still plenty of single-player games in development as we speak.
Avatar image for deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49
Member since 2005 • 605 Posts

To be fair, BioShock was brought up for some reason and repeatedly cheap-shotted in the Halo thread so Frederick went completely over the top. Now single player is dead.

The fact BioShock was a main topic of discussion in the Halo thread was bad to begin with. Two very different games on the same system. Showed insecurity. Metroid would have made more sense. And Killzone is the Halo-killer. That's the comparison.

What if we have two different types of gamers who aren't even trying to understand each other anymore? Just elementary things like maybe Frederick is Australian, so he defended BioShock. If I'm trying to understand Frederick, I'm certainly going to try to understand Jeff. Someone is asking Ask GameSpot the best year for video games. GameSpot and Jeff are saying, "1998, no contest, StarCraft, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, no need to say more." Have you read Jeff's MGS review? Jeff's a great reviewer who is very different from some of us.

appleater

Hey, listen. I got a right to be upset. I haven't played a truly awesome single player game in TEN YEARS!

Galzakian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#54 Galzakian
Member since 2004 • 5160 Posts
Single-player will nevar die! If you look at the lineup for the rest of this year alone, there are plenty of really strong single-player games still to come out. Games like Mass Effect, Assassin's Creed and The Witcher. Then you look at past releases; games like Bioshock. SP is still going strong.
Moogleman23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Moogleman23
Member since 2007 • 186 Posts
Single player won't die because not everyone has access to online games. There are people who can't afford to buy a game and then pay extra just to be able to play it.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#56 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Single Player is doing well, it's just multiplayer steals the show and adds on the value to the game and makes a game long lasting and fun
Johnny_vicious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#57 Johnny_vicious
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Nah, single player will always be strong, I find multiplayer a weak spot for myself personally.

I also feel that theirs on a few things you can do with multiplayer untill it gets boring...

A few game modes here and their... co-op campaigns aswell... but nothing too thrilling.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#58 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts
I wonder why everyone says Halo 3 has a short SP...I mean did anyone here finished it already?No!GS says 10-15h which is far longer then almost every other FPS (Half-Life 2 was longer,but after 6 boring hours Istopped playing,remeber no other over 7h right now).Just because Halo 1+2 haven´t been long?Just because the MP is imprtant for the devs?I´m no big Halo-Fan myself,because of the 2nd who was way too short,but do you all judge a book by it´s cover?
zeus_gb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#59 zeus_gb
Member since 2004 • 7793 Posts
[QUOTE="appleater"]

To be fair, BioShock was brought up for some reason and repeatedly cheap-shotted in the Halo thread so Frederick went completely over the top. Now single player is dead.

The fact BioShock was a main topic of discussion in the Halo thread was bad to begin with. Two very different games on the same system. Showed insecurity. Metroid would have made more sense. And Killzone is the Halo-killer. That's the comparison.

What if we have two different types of gamers who aren't even trying to understand each other anymore? Just elementary things like maybe Frederick is Australian, so he defended BioShock. If I'm trying to understand Frederick, I'm certainly going to try to understand Jeff. Someone is asking Ask GameSpot the best year for video games. GameSpot and Jeff are saying, "1998, no contest, StarCraft, Half-Life, Metal Gear Solid, Ocarina of Time, no need to say more." Have you read Jeff's MGS review? Jeff's a great reviewer who is very different from some of us.

The_Frederick

Hey, listen. I got a right to be upset. I haven't played a truly awesome single player game in TEN YEARS!

I don't think you've been playing the right games.

C&C Tiberian Sun, Bioshock, Clive Barkers: Undying, Half Life, Beyond Good and Evil, Oblivion, Morrowind are all examples of games with decent single player modes.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

I don't think you've been playing the right games.

C&C Tiberian Sun, Bioshock, Clive Barkers: Undying, Half Life, Beyond Good and Evil, Oblivion, Morrowind are all examples of games with decent single player modes.

zeus_gb

Ehh. They were ok.

princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#61 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

If it were, I would stop gaming.

Single player games are usually the ones that provide the greatest and most thrilling gaming experiences.foxhound_fox

True indeed.

Don't get me wrong....I enjoy playing muliplayer ever now and then. But if there weren't any single player games that would mean that there wouldn't be interesting stories. The main reason why I play video games is because I enjoy the stories. It's almost like an interactive book.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#62 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

While I don't think single-player games will ever fade away completely, there is one thing that bothers me....

Some games seem to have level designs that try to cater to both single-player and multi-player, with the emphasis usually on the latter. It feels almost as if the initial focus of some games' development is catered towards the multi-player aspect, and then exported and adapted for the single player game with tweaks here and there (enemies, story, level geometry, etc) as an afterthought.

Anyhow, it seems as far as FPS goes multi-player is not only expected, but is a given. Why? Anyone remember a little game called Metroid Prime? The level design was not at all condusive to multi-player and it was a much better game as a result. Imagine the accommodations to the environments they would've had to make for it to be so.

But it's probably as bad as it's going to get.....there's always new single-player games out there.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

Single player and multiplayer modes should be completely separate in my opinion, as far as level design is concerned.

Ash2X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#64 Ash2X
Member since 2005 • 3035 Posts

Single player and multiplayer modes should be completely separate in my opinion, as far as level design is concerned.

nopalversion

Yeah...I think GRAW for example did a very good job there.The MP also plays a bit different which is also a good thing,becase you can play with 4 people on one console and the controls would be a bit too tricky to explain to a friend who´s a 1st timer.

SP = Simulation MP= Arcade...strange but through that it was one of the most addicting Shooter ever.Got a bit of both.And most important : Both are GREAT.

rudyroundhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#65 rudyroundhead
Member since 2003 • 9612 Posts
I pretty much only buy games for single player with the exception of the Unreal Franchise. I usually don't have time with work and everything to get even remotely good enough to compete online in most games and the single plyer games take me 2 to 3 times longer to beat because of time constraints so I am glad there are still games aimed at those fo us that don't want or have the time to play online.
Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

The_Frederick

Ten Years, huh?.....well then you know what, here is my advice.....Give up gaming altogether.

If you haven't had a great single player gaming experience in 10 years, then Gaming obviously isn't for you....I would think that after 10 years someone would figure that out.....either that or you're looking at games released prior to 1997 through major rose-colored eyes.

Personally I would consider games like God of War II, Okami, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Company of Heroes, Resident Evil 4, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Half Life 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Knights of the Old Republic, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil, Mafia, Metroid Prime, GTA: Vice City, Eternal Darkness, ICO, GTA3, Baldur's Gate II, Deus Ex, Planescape Torment.....just to name a few....to all be excellent single player game experiences that have released in less then the 10 years you say there hasn't been a truly awesome single player game.

james28893

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#67 james28893
Member since 2007 • 3252 Posts

I won't miss single player gaming if they make MMOs that have proper stories. Oh and some of the most popular games in history have been multiplayer only (see CS, Battlefield series, a little thing called World of Warcraft). On the PS3 they're discussing starting in Home and accessing games through that. Really it's a good thing. You know if you have friends. Can we remember what those were? No? OK maybe single-player is important.

beuksux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 beuksux
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts
well, I have had almost every system since Atari 2600, Yeah, I'm old. And the only game I play online is Forza on 360, so I'd have to say single player games are not dinosaurs, and are not going anywhere.
Freshenizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69 Freshenizer
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts

No, it won't ever die.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

Ten Years, huh?.....well then you know what, here is my advice.....Give up gaming altogether.

If you haven't had a great single player gaming experience in 10 years, then Gaming obviously isn't for you....I would think that after 10 years someone would figure that out.....either that or you're looking at games released prior to 1997 through major rose-colored eyes.

Personally I would consider games like God of War II, Okami, Zelda: Twilight Princess, Company of Heroes, Resident Evil 4, God of War, Shadow of the Colossus, Half Life 2, Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines, Knights of the Old Republic, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time, Beyond Good & Evil, Mafia, Metroid Prime, GTA: Vice City, Eternal Darkness, ICO, GTA3, Baldur's Gate II, Deus Ex, Planescape Torment.....just to name a few....to all be excellent single player game experiences that have released in less then the 10 years you say there hasn't been a truly awesome single player game.

Robnyc22

Of the ones I've played, they were alright. Not particularly great.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 deactivated-5c8225b86ff49

Exactly, anyone that says there wasn't been any great single player games over the last year alone should never open their mouths about games ever again.

dvader654

The past year in gaming was... pretty bad.