Silent Hills Cancelled

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

Edited By Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/silent-hills-cancelled-konami-confirms/1100-6426919/

This is a sad day for horror fans. The "supercut" combo of Hideo Kojima, Guillermo del Toro and The Walking Dead/Boondock Saint's Norman Reedus is now cancelled. Only a few days ago it was announced that Del Toro was no longer going to be involved, and today the game is now cancelled. People had been speculating that this may happen upon hearing that the PT demo was being pulled from PSN this month.

This makes me a sad panda...

-Byshop

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#1 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

My only question is this: what is Konami's problem? I wonder what Kojima has to say about all this once his contract expires. Seems like Konami's being a bit bitter over the whole debacle.

KillMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By KillMaster
Member since 2003 • 383 Posts

man this sucks

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Byshop  Moderator

The PT demo is a cool proof of concept. I would recommend downloading it as quickly as possible because it's about to disappear forever.

-Byshop

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Byshop  Moderator

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/27/what-is-going-on-with-the-business-of-konami

Konami is delisting from the NYSE. What the hell?

-Byshop

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5  Edited By TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Sad to see Silent Hills canceled. I love it when they put people like Norman Reedus in games. I feel bad for him now, I'm really sure it would have been cool to have the Boondock Saints guy in his own game.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#6 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@Byshop said:

The PT demo is a cool proof of concept. I would recommend downloading it as quickly as possible because it's about to disappear forever.

-Byshop

I got it downloaded, but I never played it!! Will give it a go just in case in vanishes off my HDD!!!

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Byshop  Moderator

@MarcRecon said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

I got it downloaded, but I never played it!! Will give it a go just in case in vanishes off my HDD!!!

One warning. The puzzles are... obtuse. Don't be afraid to hit buttons that are not mentioned in the instructions and you should play with a mic.

-Byshop

AcidTWister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AcidTWister
Member since 2002 • 22981 Posts

I had a lot of respect for Kojima before all this, but now, if he truly is not tweeting and staying silent to respect his contract, my respect for him has grown tenfold. I can imagine if this were an American developer, they'd be prancing around every media site they could contact just to get their story out and grab another 15 minutes. Just look at what happened with the Infinity Ward debacle.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Byshop  Moderator

@AcidTWister said:

I had a lot of respect for Kojima before all this, but now, if he truly is not tweeting and staying silent to respect his contract, my respect for him has grown tenfold. I can imagine if this were an American developer, they'd be prancing around every media site they could contact just to get their story out and grab another 15 minutes. Just look at what happened with the Infinity Ward debacle.

Smart developers don't do this. Running to the press is a good way to put a giant black mark on your resume for future employment opportunities.

-Byshop

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Can't say I'm too upset. Kojima is overrated and a bit too heavy handed for a franchise powered by its subtlety. I love the first 4 Silent Hills, but once the last member of the original dev team finally moved on, I considered the series done and have moved on myself. Franchises don't need to last forever. In fact, they shouldn't...because that's how we end up with Mega Man Soccer and Assassin's Creed China.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Byshop said:

@MarcRecon said:

@Byshop said:

-Byshop

One warning. The puzzles are... obtuse. Don't be afraid to hit buttons that are not mentioned in the instructions and you should play with a mic.

-Byshop

I've heard that if you want to finish it, you HAVE to play with a mic.

But then I've heard from other people that they beat it without using a mic, but they don't know how.

So yeah...the fact that so many people beat it without even knowing how they beat it is an indicator of the exact same kind of cryptic illogical bullshit that I'm thankful is largely gone from games these days. Of course, I was still looking forward to Silent Hills because I love the SH series and wanted to see it restored to glory. But if I'm being honest, I played PT and one of my first thoughts was "I hope that Silent Hills isn't like this."

BattleSpectre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 BattleSpectre
Member since 2009 • 7989 Posts

My only question is this, will any of this affect the new Metal Gear Solid game?

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Byshop  Moderator

@Ish_basic: I was looking forward to is. Not because I thought Kojima would specifically bring awesome to the table but because he's a known quantity in terms of production quality unlike the random dev studios they handed the last few games off to. Also, Del Toro's touch would have been really interesting.

@MrGeezer: Agreed. The PT demo was a neat experiment but the absolute lack of direction, hints or clues as to how to proceed (or even clear indication that you aren't proceeding) stunk of games from decades ago. Although it's a moot point now, I doubt the final game would have been anything like that (or even an FPS for that matter).

-Bysh

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Byshop said:

@Ish_basic: I was looking forward to is. Not because I thought Kojima would specifically bring awesome to the table but because he's a known quantity in terms of production quality unlike the random dev studios they handed the last few games off to. Also, Del Toro's touch would have been really interesting.

@MrGeezer: Agreed. The PT demo was a neat experiment but the absolute lack of direction, hints or clues as to how to proceed (or even clear indication that you aren't proceeding) stunk of games from decades ago. Although it's a moot point now, I doubt the final game would have been anything like that (or even an FPS for that matter).

-Bysh

I agree, but for me, PT sort of softens the blow. As sad as I am that Silent Hills isn't happening, at least I have this: whenever I get sad about this cancellation meaning that we lose something great, I just have to imagine to myself, "well, it's unlikely, but imagine IF the game would have just been a 20 hour long version of PT."

PT was pretty damn cool as a short free game, but imagine that shit expanded into a full-length $60 game. I cringe at the the thought. And while I know that Silent Hills PROBABLY wouldn't have ended up like that, the fact is that no one really knows because the game is dead. If I get sad about Silent Hills being cancelled, I can still imagine that it COULD have ended up like a super long version of PT. And then the cancellation doesn't sting quite so much.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#15 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

So sad. PT was only the most hype Silent Hill has ever received. This sucks.