Silent Hill game coming by Kojima and Guillermo del Toro

• 64 results
#1 Posted by Behardy24 (3057 posts) -

Awesome!

Link to the original story.

Sony briefly teased a new game called P.T. during its Gamescom press conference, but remained intentionally vague about it. The company published a playable demo as soon as the conference ended, and Twitch streamer SoapyWarPig discovered P.T.'s elusive secret: it's a teaser for a new Silent Hill game.

It's not just any Silent Hill game, though. Metal Gear creator Hideo Kojima, filmmaker Guillermo del Toro (Pacific Rim, Pan's Labyrinth), and actor Norman Reedus (Walking Dead) are all involved.

Kojima has confessed a desire to reboot Silent Hill in the past, and Guillermo del Toro has talked about his passion for video games at lengh. Del Toro was even developing a trilogy of horror games with THQ, but the series never got off the ground. It's unclear what involvement Kojima will have with this new Silent Hill, as he was a producer onCastlevania: Lords of Shadow, as well, but reportedly had little hands-on involvement with the development.

Most people are gonna flip out over this news. I want to flip out over this news (del Toro!!!!), but I'm not the biggest Kojima fan lately. But maybe it'll work out the same way as Lords of Shadow? Everyone wins? I guess?

Thoughts?

#2 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Well I guess cutscenes can be scary but what good is that in an interactive medium ? :p

#3 Posted by blangenakker (2216 posts) -

I guess if a game is created it can't be as bad as the american made Silent Hills

#4 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

It can't be worse than the western developed shit this series has seen, but that teaser did nothing but disappoint me. It looks, sounds, plays, and feels absolutely nothing like Silent Hill. I don't want a reboot either. And I don't understand why they felt the need to get a celebrity actor.

#5 Posted by yngsten (197 posts) -

Guillermo is a genius, el laberinto del fauno is one of my all time favorite movies. If he is in, they must be up to something good.

#6 Posted by jayd02 (783 posts) -

PT scared the crap out of me.

#7 Posted by Flubbbs (2955 posts) -

best news of Gamescom imo

#8 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

It can't be worse than the western developed shit this series has seen, but that teaser did nothing but disappoint me. It looks, sounds, plays, and feels absolutely nothing like Silent Hill. I don't want a reboot either. And I don't understand why they felt the need to get a celebrity actor.

Very well said, although I thought Downpour was pretty solid all things considered.

Not much about it feels like SH to me, of course I'm sure this isn't the best representation of what any final product would look like, it rarely is. The inclusion of Reedus is the biggest disappointment to me. I like Reedus, he's a pretty good actor, but I don't want him in a SH game. It is unnecessary, completely so.

People should pump their brakes here, quit hyping it so much. From what I've seen, this game won't do any more justice to the SH games of old than the ones we've gotten in the past few years. Personally I think having Kojima involved is awful news, and Del Toro has tried and failed at video games before. Hopefully they aren't just applying SH to the title because they can, hopefully it's a focused approach. I'd be much more excited if they were talking about, I don't know, somehow having this guy or this guy working on the game...

Who knows, it could be a good game. I just hope that if it is, it's a good Silent Hill game.

#10 Edited by KingOfOldSkool (1685 posts) -

The fact that Konami has finally decided to take the handling of the series seriously with quality talent from its home country, as opposed to passing off development duties on some western budget studio, is in and of itself enough to warrant some excitement from SH fans. An inspired and motivated Kojima working alongside a horror vet with high regard like del Toro is exactly what both the series and genre itself needed right now.

#11 Posted by johnd13 (7982 posts) -

I'm not a fan of shitting-your-pants horror games but I like the idea nonetheless. I'll watch someone else play it. :P

#12 Posted by Jacanuk (4198 posts) -

@behardy24: Seems like they have gone more for Slender scares than old Silent Hill brilliant atmosphere so not exciting for this. But at least the swedish muppet and other youtube morons will be happy.

#13 Edited by KingOfOldSkool (1685 posts) -
@Blueresident87 said:

@Pffrbt said:

Very well said, although I thought Downpour was pretty solid all things considered.

Not much about it feels like SH to me, of course I'm sure this isn't the best representation of what any final product would look like, it rarely is. The inclusion of Reedus is the biggest disappointment to me. I like Reedus, he's a pretty good actor, but I don't want him in a SH game. It is unnecessary, completely so.

People should pump their brakes here, quit hyping it so much. From what I've seen, this game won't do any more justice to the SH games of old than the ones we've gotten in the past few years. Personally I think having Kojima involved is awful news, and Del Toro has tried and failed at video games before. Hopefully they aren't just applying SH to the title because they can, hopefully it's a focused approach. I'd be much more excited if they were talking about, I don't know, somehow having this guy or this guy working on the game...

Who knows, it could be a good game. I just hope that if it is, it's a good Silent Hill game.

I respectfully disagree. Aside from also bringing back Masahiro Ito and Hiroyuki Owaku alongside Toyama and Tsuboyama, this is one of the next best moves to reinvigorate the series.

The Team Silent era is 'over', we fans need to accept that it's not coming back, as I've grown weary of the constant generic attempts to replicate SH 1-4 by inferior or recycled talent. I honestly just want to see that era finally be allowed to rest in peace, and to look forward to a new take on series made by those that not only respect the spirit of the series and have experience with the genre, but most importantly, have the talent to stand on their own merit. Together, Kojima and del Toro certainly have that. How well will all the pieces work together? Only time will tell, but the potential is certainly there. I believe their collaboration will go a long way towards smoothing out their respective flaws displayed in previous game projects.

I also hope for a good game, a good 'Silent Hill' game, just not one that is entirely shackled by an interpretation of Team Silent standards, but also by standards set forth by talent that can finally move the series forward.

#14 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

Speaking of Del Toro... Has anybody seen The Strain yet ?

#15 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

@Blueresident87 said:

@Pffrbt said:

I respectfully disagree. Aside from also bringing back Masahiro Ito and Hiroyuki Owaku alongside Toyama and Tsuboyama, this is one of the next best moves to reinvigorate the series.

The Team Silent era is 'over', we fans need to accept that it's not coming back, as I've grown weary of the constant generic attempts to replicate SH 1-4 by inferior or recycled talent. I honestly just want to see that era finally be allowed to rest in peace, and to look forward to a new take on series made by those that not only respect the spirit of the series and have experience with the genre, but most importantly, have the talent to stand on their own merit. Together, Kojima and del Toro certainly have that. How well will all the pieces work together? Only time will tell, but the potential is certainly there. I believe their collaboration will go a long way towards smoothing out their respective flaws displayed in previous game projects.

I also hope for a good game, a good 'Silent Hill' game, just not one that is entirely shackled by an interpretation of Team Silent standards, but also by standards set forth by talent that can finally move the series forward.

I agree about the 'good ole days' being over, but it doesn't mean the series has to stagnate or be entirely re-created. I would just love to see Toyama and Tsuboyama be a part of this somehow, since they were so instrumental in establishing the feel of Silent Hill games when the series was established.

Do Del Toro and Kojima have the merit to do this? Of course they do in their own respective ways, but that doesn't really mean anything until the game is completed. I'm very worried about style over substance, which is mostly a direct result of any decision to include Reedus in the game. That is so unnecessary it's stupid, and not a good start to anything they are doing. They do not need that and it will not improve the game in any way other than selling more copies because he's hot shit right now; just saying the words "new Silent Hill" is enough to get the fans into a frenzy even counting the last few games against the overall quality of the series. I have always like the ambiguous nature of the characters in Silent Hill, that's one of the best things about the stories, and that is not attainable with such a recognizable figure because he's fucking Daryl Dixon and Murphy Macmanus.

SH does need a new take, but if the game they release shares only the words Silent Hill, and maybe a few character names, with the classic spirit of the series then I'd just as soon they call that game something else and remaster 4 or something. Or just leave the whole thing alone. There absolutely has to be a balance with anything they do, because if any new creation by them just throws away everything the series has been built upon I'll be very disappointed. I agree with you completely about what you say at the end, getting out of the shadow of Team Silent...but that shadow is not all bad, it doesn't all need to be re-imagined. There were even things Homecoming did that were great for the series, same with Downpour and Shattered Memories.

As much as Del Toro and Kojima have the potential to do great things here, I also hope they are doing their homework. I'm not swearing it off by any means, I'm just not happy about some of the things I've seen so far. Like I said in my original comment, I'm sure this is not a full representation of anything we'll actually see as a completed project.

Side Note: You know who I've always wanted to be involved in an SH game? Frank Rooke. He was the lead game designer for Monolith during their work on Condemned: Criminal Origins, and that game did a fabulous job with lighting and environment, especially since that was such an early title for its console. There were parts of that game that felt like a first-person SH game. He worked on F.E.A.R. 2 also, so he's got the chops for it.

#16 Edited by KingOfOldSkool (1685 posts) -

@Blueresident87: I see were you're coming from and definitely understand your concern, the series hasn't been handled all that well over the last few years and it's going to take more than a teaser to fully gain the confidence of jaded fans. It's just that to me, despite the possible conflicts of style, I feel that this is 'by far' the best opportunity for the series since The Room, so I'm willing to give these changes a bit more leeway.

Don't get me wrong though, while I'm looking forward to a fresh take, I'm not calling for anything near a full-scale reboot that leaves Team Silent's days completely behind. I just want a group of talent that can move the series ahead and grow 'alongside' Team Silent's legacy as opposed to vainly trying to live up to it. I want Kojima / del Toro to be the same kind of breathe of fresh air to Silent Hill that Alan Moore and Frank Miller were to Batman in the 80's. It's obviously premature to get too hyped, but I've seen enough from them to look at things glass half-full.

Also, I will admit that I share some apprehension about the Reedus casting, but I think it's something that can still work if done right. I'm not the biggest fan, but I feel it could have been MUCH worse. I'm personally hoping that the casting just gives Konami enough comfort in terms of mainstream appeal to allow the dev team more freedom in other areas. And yes, if Konami went ahead with another western dev this time around instead, Rooke would have been a welcomed addition. Condemned was easily one of my favorite games of the early part of the last generation.

#17 Posted by Ish_basic (3998 posts) -

Speaking of Del Toro... Has anybody seen The Strain yet ?

Yeah, and read the books. Books provide better technical knowledge, which the show sometimes stumbles over, but the show is taking more time to expand the characters, and as a result adds something that the books were missing. But it basically takes a page from all the zombie apocalypse stories that are so popular now. The fun thing is that it starts you at the beginning and let's you watch everything go to shit, rather than just starting after everything has gone to shit. Doesn't convince me that Del Toro is the man to make SH relevant again, but I liked what I saw in the PT demo.

#18 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -

This is awesome news. I've been watching people play this on Twitch as I don't have a PS4 and it looks great and very creepy as well. I'm very stoked for this game and having both Kojima and del Toro working on it should have fantastic results. I haven't been interested in the Silent Hill games since the third one but this looks like it'll be the one to bring me back to the franchise.

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Ish_basic: I love what I'm hearing. been thinking about getting into some horror shows lately so Ima start with The Strain and In The Flesh. In The Flesh has a very odd Premise.

#20 Posted by Ish_basic (3998 posts) -

@Ish_basic: I love what I'm hearing. been thinking about getting into some horror shows lately so Ima start with The Strain and In The Flesh. In The Flesh has a very odd Premise.

I actually like Penny Dreadful. There are some episodes that didn't work for me, but overall, at the end of the season, I found myself wanting more. Even with shows I'm big into atmosphere, and I just love the world of victorian horror that the show creates.

#21 Edited by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

@Blueresident87 said:

I thought Downpour was pretty solid all things considered.

I can't think of a single aspect of that game that isn't laughably poor. I

#22 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Ish_basic

Funny enough, Film is the only medium where atmosphere matters to me.... It does nothing for me in games..... Except Amnesia.... :)

#23 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@Ish_basic

Funny enough, Film is the only medium where atmosphere matters to me.... It does nothing for me in games..... Except Amnesia.... :)

You know you just said "atmosphere in a game doesn't matter to me except when it does."

#24 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Blueresident87 said:

Downpour was a better horror game than a lot of other horror games being released at the time.

#25 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

Yep... I sure did ! :p

I feel that about alot of things.

#26 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

Yep... I sure did ! :p

I feel that about alot of things.

Just making sure we're on the same page.

#27 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

We were always on the same page, silly ! :)

you are talking webpage right ?

#28 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer

We were always on the same page, silly ! :)

you are talking webpage right ?

Sure that's exactly it.

#29 Edited by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Blueresident87 said:

Okay, that's fine.

The protagonist, environments, combat, and music (very well done by Daniel Licht) were all mostly par for the series, they just don't fit together as well as they could have. The side quests were a great idea, just not done very well.

One of the biggest problems SH has had in recent years is a lack of focus and direction; most of the pieces are there in every game they just aren't put together properly.

#30 Posted by Blueresident87 (5336 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@Blueresident87 said:

Downpour was a better horror game than a lot of other horror games being released at the time.

That's how I see it too.

#31 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Pffrbt said:

@Blueresident87 said:

That's how I see it too.

My only issue was that the frame rate was inconsistent and the monster design was meh (although the way the Dolls were used was super scary at times). Music wasn't great compared to other games but it wasn't bad either. It's still a good horror game.

#32 Edited by KingOfOldSkool (1685 posts) -

I would agree that Downpour isn't necessarily a bad horror game, one that probably would have been cut a little more slack without the 'Silent Hill' in its title, but it pretty much followed the same pattern as the last few other releases in the series - having a few slightly redeeming qualities compared to the previous game while still managing to fall way short on every other element essential to being a good Silent Hill game. There were some aspects about Downpour that I did like, but the constant technical problems and unforgivably bland monster design were just a few of the issues that too often distracted away from what the game was doing right, which always seems to be the case with the western-developed iterations. One will have decent music, graphics, or an interesting game mechanic or two, but never at the same time, and always with a fresh set of problems.

#33 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

That doesn't make it not shit.

"Downpour's story is so poorly written and terrible that by the end it's contradicting itself and makes no sense. The engine it's running on is so bad and it's so poorly programmed that textures are constantly just loading in before your very eyes, and you inexplicably get loading screens while walking across rooms. The game has every single interactive object constantly flash and glow, so you'll walk into dark, dank environments that have 50 objects flashing and spazzing out, ruining any potential atmosphere. The environment and monster design are just sad. They had to be trying to design monsters this lame and unscary. None of the symbolism makes any sense and the whole theme of water and rain isn't fucking relevant to anything. Despite the combat being absolutely terrible the game treats itself like a brawler, literally locking you into arenas with waves of monsters to fight.The game uses ragdoll physics on enemies despite ragdoll physics being almost exclusively funny. The game is constantly stopping you to have you read obnoxiously long documents that are very rarely ever important or interesting. There are no real puzzles either."

It's a terrible game that has nothing to offer.

#34 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

"Downpour's story is so poorly written and terrible that by the end it's contradicting itself and makes no sense. The engine it's running on is so bad and it's so poorly programmed that textures are constantly just loading in before your very eyes, and you inexplicably get loading screens while walking across rooms. The game has every single interactive object constantly flash and glow, so you'll walk into dark, dank environments that have 50 objects flashing and spazzing out, ruining any potential atmosphere. The environment and monster design are just sad. They had to be trying to design monsters this lame and unscary. None of the symbolism makes any sense and the whole theme of water and rain isn't fucking relevant to anything. Despite the combat being absolutely terrible the game treats itself like a brawler, literally locking you into arenas with waves of monsters to fight.The game uses ragdoll physics on enemies despite ragdoll physics being almost exclusively funny. The game is constantly stopping you to have you read obnoxiously long documents that are very rarely ever important or interesting. There are no real puzzles either."

Don't know where you'd copy/ paste that from, but while it's tough to argue the tech stuff (it had its issues) I'd contest most of the other points. Just saying.

#35 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

Don't know where you'd copy/ paste that from, but while it's tough to argue the tech stuff (it had its issues) I'd contest most of the other points. Just saying.

I copied it from a comment I made on another site, and why would you contest any of this.

#36 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

I copied it from a comment I made on another site, and why would you contest any of this.

Why? Because I think you're wrong. The enemy design is quite weak, I will give you that (although the way Dolls are used at times is downright scary) but the environments are great. Each one has the appropriate Silent Hill feel to it, especially places like the orphanage (there's one room in particular where you can't see shit beyond your light and it's great). They really did nail the atmosphere for the game, and some of the side quests further enhance it and lead to some pretty memorable moments (I doubt I will ever forget the "Turn Back Time" quest). Then about the combat, I found that there were only a few times where you HAD to fight to progress. You can run from probably 90% of the encounters in the game (at least doing all the quests I did, but there were a few left over that I didn't get to). The combat was weak, but they didn't force you into it unless you're a player that absolutely must kill everything. As far as the story goes, it's not mind blowing or anything, but it had some interesting stuff going on, like Murphy's guilt and the Cop's anger at him (although I forget her name). I found it pretty easy to root for Murphy as a character. Plus IDK, the rain and water in the game most likely just represents how his thoughts are almost constantly shifting to his dead son (thinking about where Murphy found his murdered boy). It's not extremely deep but it's definitely there.

Surprise, you aren't the only one with an opinion on a game. Which is why I'd contest it.

#37 Posted by IamYourF4th3r (10 posts) -

SH:Downpour wasn't that awful a game as what was cut and pasted here.

@Pffrbt said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

SH:Downpour wasn't that awful a game as what was cut and pasted here. Just my two cents.

#38 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

SH:Downpour wasn't that awful a game as what was cut and pasted here.

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Pffrbt said:

@turtlethetaffer said:

SH:Downpour wasn't that awful a game as what was cut and pasted here. Just my two cents.

Don't tell pfffrbt that, you'll upset them.

#39 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: "the environments are great."
Full of texture load-in and flashing objects. So no. Most environments lack the surreal horror of Silent Hill, and instead go full on desperate in your face most of the time.

"Then about the combat, I found that there were only a few times where you HAD to fight to progress."
There are multiple sidequests and moments in the main story where the game demands you fight waves of enemies. Most enemies are also so relentlessly annoying that you feel forced into fighting them to just get them to fuck off.

"The combat was weak, but they didn't force you into it"
This is outright untrue. Towards the end of the game there's a fucking elevator beat 'em up segment.

"As far as the story goes, it's not mind blowing or anything, but it had some interesting stuff going on, like Murphy's guilt and the Cop's anger at him (although I forget her name)."
It contradicts itself to the point that it makes zero sense why Murphy and the cop are even in Silent Hill.

Plus IDK, the rain and water in the game most likely just represents how his thoughts are almost constantly shifting to his dead son (thinking about where Murphy found his murdered boy)."
That's pretty tenuous.

#40 Edited by Shmiity (5033 posts) -

Every Silent Hill fan should be rejoicing. This series is currently dead as fuck, and needs a serious jolt. Listen, Homecoming was alright, but Downpour was not good. I honestly don't care what Del Toro/Kojima do with the game- just do something! Anything. I'll buy it.

#41 Posted by Shmiity (5033 posts) -

@Pffrbt: The biggest flaw in Downpour was honestly the save system. How can you have sidequests, and an open word set up, but only have autosave? It was so broken. Also, the makeshift weapons system was not ideal. I didn't hate it, but it was the most dumb Silent Hill, definitely. Homecoming was way better, eventhough it wasnt amazing.

#42 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@turtlethetaffer: "the environments are great."

Full of texture load-in and flashing objects. So no. Most environments lack the surreal horror of Silent Hill, and instead go full on desperate in your face most of the time.

"Then about the combat, I found that there were only a few times where you HAD to fight to progress."

There are multiple sidequests and moments in the main story where the game demands you fight waves of enemies. Most enemies are also so relentlessly annoying that you feel forced into fighting them to just get them to fuck off.

"The combat was weak, but they didn't force you into it"

This is outright untrue. Towards the end of the game there's a fucking elevator beat 'em up segment.

"As far as the story goes, it's not mind blowing or anything, but it had some interesting stuff going on, like Murphy's guilt and the Cop's anger at him (although I forget her name)."

It contradicts itself to the point that it makes zero sense why Murphy and the cop are even in Silent Hill.

Plus IDK, the rain and water in the game most likely just represents how his thoughts are almost constantly shifting to his dead son (thinking about where Murphy found his murdered boy)."

That's pretty tenuous.

The only time I remember being forced into combat was at the end. About three times. Other than that I'm pretty sure you can run from most fights. And the flashing item thing? Yeah that's you being super nit picky. The items flash, but it wasn't distracting at all. The only time I ever noticed it was when I was standing right there looking at one. And IDK what the hell you're talking about with the lack of surreal horror. There were plenty of really creepy and bizarre moments in the game, especially with the side quests. And how exactly does the story contradict itself? It made it pretty clear why they were both in Silent Hill. To confront their issues basically.

I'm not saying it's an incredibly great game and I'm not saying it's the best silent Hill game (2 is for story and 3 is for atmosphere). But you saying it's a game that has no redeeming qualities is untrue, at least in my experience.

#43 Posted by trollop_scat (2638 posts) -
@Shmiity said:

@Pffrbt: I didn't hate it, but it (Downpour) was the most dumb Silent Hill, definitely. Homecoming was way better, even though it wasn't amazing.

I agree, Homecoming was definitely better. It started slow and even dragged in the middle but the last couple hours of Homecoming were fantastic. So was that strange level where you just descended into Hell and fought a creepy doll. If I still had my old PS3 and Homecoming around I'd play it again, it certainly had its moments...

#44 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: "And the flashing item thing? Yeah that's you being super nit picky."
Not at all. Atmosphere is key in a horror game. Walking into environments and having literally 20 items flashing in unison kills it.

"And IDK what the hell you're talking about with the lack of surreal horror."
Games like Silent Hill 2 gradually draw you into environments that get progressively more and more surreal and disturbing. Downpour has an attitude more along the lines of "Whooaa!! Look at this!!! Things are getting fucked up and crazy look!!!! We're really desperate!!! Waterslide with spikes!! Scary!!!".

"And how exactly does the story contradict itself? It made it pretty clear why they were both in Silent Hill. To confront their issues basically."
Depending on the ending you get it completely contradicts why they're even there in the first place. In the "good" endings Murphy never killed anyone, so it makes no sense why he would even be in Silent Hill in the first place.

"But you saying it's a game that has no redeeming qualities is untrue, at least in my experience."
It has zero redeeming qualities and there's no reason to play it over other, better games.

#45 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -
#46 Edited by Shmiity (5033 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

I'm kind of disappointed in you guys. This series has got to move on. Silent Hill 1 and 2 were great, but the series has been going downhill in every new entry. Do you think if Team Silent came back, it would bring back the glory days or something? That will never happen. Even if Team Silent made the next game, you can NEVER re-create the experience you had with the first few games. You will always be disappointed. "It doesn't feel like a silent hill game" Silent Hill plays like shit. It always has. The story and setting and mystery are what need to be done right. Shattered Memories got the closest to this. You don't want a reboot, you don't want a celebrity actor, you don't like the change....come on, guys. You're a part of the problem. This series needs to change. Stop trying to re-create Team Silent, and let Kojima do his work.

...also the PT demo was fucking amazing- so you guys are all losers.

#47 Posted by blangenakker (2216 posts) -

We all know this is just a teaser and the real game will most likely be different in many ways, right?

#48 Edited by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

@Shmiity: "This series has got to move on."
It did move on and got a ton of terrible games as a result.

"Do you think if Team Silent came back, it would bring back the glory days or something?"
It'd come a hell of a lot closer than the series has been in years. Siren: Blood Curse was fantastic.

"Silent Hill plays like shit. It always has."
It plays pretty well for its genre. The exploration and puzzles are great and the combat makes enemy encounters tense without getting tiresome or annoying.

"The story and setting and mystery are what need to be done right. Shattered Memories got the closest to this."
Hell no it didn't. The story and writing sucked. The environments and enemies are completely non-threatening or scary.

"You're a part of the problem."
We're not the ones developing the games though.

"This series needs to change."
Change isn't inherently valuable. The series did change and got pretty shit as a result. Why continue calling a series Silent Hill if it no longer has what makes Silent Hill what it is.

#49 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (10284 posts) -

@Pffrbt

I'm sorry mate I'l have to take Shmiity's side on this one. Somethings can only be done once, Bioshock is Proof of this, You can't re-experience Rapture all over again like its the 1st time yet people went into Bioshock 2 with this stupid notion that they could "relive the magic" like it was the 1st time all over again, and even though Bioshock 2 was the better game, people prefered the 1st game simply because it was "new".

Now this Goes Double for Survival Horror games because lets be honest, it was never about the mechanics, its always about The Atmosphere and the tension and the Isolation blah blah blah.... I honestly couldn't be bothered if the gameplay is sh!t... Anyway, This genre definately thrives on the new and unfamiliar, going back to its "roots" just isn't going to work, the original is just rated far too high on a your mind to be able to appreciate anything else.... Gamers themselves have essentially ruined their ability to allow a sequel to have the same effect on them.

If Capcom didn't go all shootey with President Evil 4 then the franchise would have faded into obscure niche territory just like Silent, Fatal Frame and many other games that I simply haven't heard of.....

You can't relive the Magic/Horror.... Might as well embrace the gameplay improvements.

#50 Edited by turtlethetaffer (16672 posts) -

@Pffrbt: Shattered Memories sucked? It arguably had the best storytelling in the series. The only one that even contests it is Silent Hill 2. Also, it's a spinoff more than anything since it just takes the first game's characters and does something totally different with them.

Hell, Shattered Memories has better storytelling than most other games. That is, if you sit down and think about rather than take it at face value.