Silence is golden.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Randolph (10520 posts) -

I finally made playing Killer Instinct on the Xbox One somewhat bearable. Recently, I'd had so many disgusting people coming through my speakers that I was about ready to give up. But then when digging through my settings I finally found a gorgeous, sparkling little option. The option to only allow friends to communicate with me. Their are still some bad habits that shine through, even in silence, but my ability to actually enjoy playing online, in spite of the best efforts of legions of mouth breathing neck beards, is definitely enhanced.

It's really sad that it has to come to this, but the commentary coming from my speakers was just getting downright vile.

#2 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16756 posts) -

Are you surprised? People act like assholes when they're anonymous on the internet, why should that be any different when playing an online game? If anything, it's even worse because they feel empowered when they start winning at whatever game it is.

#3 Posted by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

Are you surprised? People act like assholes when they're anonymous on the internet, why should that be any different when playing an online game? If anything, it's even worse because they feel empowered when they start winning at whatever game it is.

It's been a while (long, long while) since I played on XBL, but I do not remember peoples voices coming out of my speakers on the 360. The way I remember it, I unplugged my headset from my controller and had silence. It was a jarring experience. Didn't help that, like most options on this system, it was needlessly hard to actually find.

#4 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16756 posts) -

@Randolph: Ah I see. I don't play on Live (I don't think I should pay for something that should be free after spending 60 freaking bucks on a game and even more on a system) but I get what you're saying. the 360 isn't exactly the most user friendly system out there, and the times I have played online (at a friend's house) was really awful because of the people that never stop talking.

#5 Posted by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer said:

@Randolph: Ah I see. I don't play on Live (I don't think I should pay for something that should be free after spending 60 freaking bucks on a game and even more on a system) but I get what you're saying. the 360 isn't exactly the most user friendly system out there, and the times I have played online (at a friend's house) was really awful because of the people that never stop talking.

"HEY! I said hey! HEY! DON'T YOU HAVE A MIC??! HEY! TALK U F****T"

"Oh baby you look so hot imma *bleep* ur *bleep* *bleeeeeep* UGH UHHH UHHH" (because I play as Orchid, who is a lady)

Their was also the losers who just screamed and cried when I actually won a match. But the worst of it came from the people who were better than me, which made it that much more unbearable. You'd think with how good they are, they wouldn't feel the need to be so vile and degrading. But I guess that just goes to show some people have a lot of insecurities offline they feel compelled to make up for.

#6 Posted by PyratRum (561 posts) -

Unfortunately it's like that across all platforms. Was playing Dota 2 last night and had my headphones blasted with Singaporeans and Russians constantly yelling into the mic during the early portions of the game. Muted those fuckers and enjoyed my game.

Silence is indeed golden.

#7 Edited by Gargus (2147 posts) -

#8 Edited by c_rakestraw (14682 posts) -
@Randolph said:
@turtlethetaffer said:

It's been a while (long, long while) since I played on XBL, but I do not remember peoples voices coming out of my speakers on the 360. The way I remember it, I unplugged my headset from my controller and had silence. It was a jarring experience. Didn't help that, like most options on this system, it was needlessly hard to actually find.

Doesn't the Xbox One allow the Kinect to be used as a mic for voice chat as well? That's probably why you can't just keep the headset unplugged to mute them anymore.

#9 Edited by Bigboi500 (29899 posts) -

This might sound rude, but welcome to the internet. There's no online game that doesn't have terrible people screaming into their mics.

#10 Posted by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

This might sound rude, but welcome to the internet. There's no online game that doesn't have terrible people screaming into their mics.

This time they were screaming through my speakers though, it was… different. Anyway, I sold my Xbox One. I found a PS4 at Sears, and my inclinations are strongly towards single player gaming, which is already better represented on PS4. (just downloaded two good SP games for free thanks to Plus) I'll check out Xbox One again further down the line, but I already feel like for right now, PS4 was absolutely the right way to go for me.

#11 Edited by gpuFX16 (1296 posts) -

*Sigh* I'm not at all surprised. Sadly, that's just how most online experiences are right now. I've been trying a little GTA online for about a couple of weeks now, and half of the time I join a session, there's some obscenities or exploiting going on within minutes of logging on. I've been there. I haven't used my 360 mic in years. I had some similar experiences playing Street Fighter IV- I'm fine with taking a loss, I know I'm not that skilled. But the incessant boasting and profanity? I can do without that.

Stuff like this is why I auto-mute any online games I decide to play now, which isn't a lot, thanks to the aforementioned behavior of online players. Really the only multiplayer I do nowadays is some Dark Souls co-op.

#12 Posted by Bigboi500 (29899 posts) -

@Randolph said:

@Bigboi500 said:

This time they were screaming through my speakers though, it was… different. Anyway, I sold my Xbox One. I found a PS4 at Sears, and my inclinations are strongly towards single player gaming, which is already better represented on PS4. (just downloaded two good SP games for free thanks to Plus) I'll check out Xbox One again further down the line, but I already feel like for right now, PS4 was absolutely the right way to go for me.

Didn't you sell your Wii U to get a Xbox One?

#13 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

That was actually one of my biggest complaints against the Battlefield series: the mute function didn't work properly, which forced me to play with sound entirely off at times. Developers tend to forget how obnoxious people are.

#14 Posted by Randolph (10520 posts) -

@Bigboi500 said:

Didn't you sell your Wii U to get a Xbox One?

I got the Assistant Manager job at work, so I went and bought another one. :)

Hell, I could have afforded to keep the Xbox One, if I wanted to. But when I thought about how much work it was trying to balance three systems when I had all three the last two gens, I decided to drop the one that was giving me the most grief.

#15 Posted by firefox59 (4391 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

That was actually one of my biggest complaints against the Battlefield series: the mute function didn't work properly, which forced me to play with sound entirely off at times. Developers tend to forget how obnoxious people are.

I've experienced this with multiple games, but Battlefield 3 (I'm assuming 3 not 4) was the biggest offender. I'd plug in the mic and then leave it off to the side.

#16 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18477 posts) -

@firefox59 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:

I've experienced this with multiple games, but Battlefield 3 (I'm assuming 3 not 4) was the biggest offender. I'd plug in the mic and then leave it off to the side.

I played BF3 both on 360 and PS3 and on both systems the mute fuction was busted: I would set the option to "VOIP Off" but I would still hear my squadmates. On 360 I would almost always be in party chat anyway, but on PS3 it was a real issue.

#17 Posted by JimmiCottam (106 posts) -

I don't play with a headset for the 'people act like assholes' reason alone. I managed to find the mute function in GTA:Online. That saved my sanity...