Should The Last of Us get a Sequel?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Khasym

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Edited By Khasym

Poll Should The Last of Us get a Sequel? (37 votes)

Oh God Yes!!!! - There's just so much story and setting that can still be explored!!! 32%
Kind Of - I loved the first story, but there's a little wiggle room for a sequel. 11%
Not Really - I think the first game was more than enough. No need to try and dig out the same emotions. 16%
Please...Just....No - Let's not put this game on the sequel mill!! We can have a unique experience instead of repeat after repeat. 41%

Okay, I want to set a few rules: No spoilers, and no reviews of the game. There's plenty other places to go for that. Let's keep this one on topic.

I just finished The Last of Us, and after getting the tears out of my eyes, I jumped online to see some tips for multiplayer.....and then I found it. Sequel-itis, a disease just as deadly to a video game as the Cordyceps fungus is to humans in that game.

Do we REALLY need a sequel to this game? Does the gaming community even want one? If I want to feel this game again, I'll just wait till it's faded from my mind, and play it again. Why do we need to go BACK to this world in a sequel?

Maybe it's just me, but I don't see a need for a sequel. This was a massively personal story. It's hard to have that kind of story, run on and on. And that's assuming that the sequel lives UP to the quality of the first game.

• 
Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#51 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@Minishdriveby

You mean he has more ? :o

Feed Me MOOOOOOOOOARRRRR !

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#52 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Asking if this game should get a sequel is liking asking if the sun should rise tomorrow.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17637 Posts

@udubdawgz1 said:

like many polls that add qualifiers to the options that make zero sense and are limiting i'm not answering the poll.

however, i thought the first game epitomizes this generation of games: cinematic, generic, mundane and mediocre gameplay. however, i absolutely think there should be a sequel.

hopefully, they'll improve and innovate the a.i., stealth, cover and shooter mechanics, for starters. as well, i hope they create a story that isn't cliched, forced and perfectly p.c..

TLoU has "generic, mundane, and mediocre" gameplay?

Hardly. It has some of the most exhilarating action sequences I've ever seen in any TPS to date that can unfold in a variety of differing scenarios contingent upon what strategy the player chooses to execute and with what materials they have to do so. I can agree with the A.I criticism at points.......this is valid and it is in need of some improvement, but I will forever and vehemently disagree that TLoU's gameplay is anything but magnificent when it's put to the test. When discovered, it quickly turns into a life or death struggle that flawlessly transitions from one mechanic to another, that necessitates quick, on the spot thinking, prioritizing and improvisation, all aided by an efficient and easy to use crafting system and friendly AI that often helps.

That does not define generic, mundane or mediocre gameplay. On the contrary, it is dynamic, adrenaline pumped, and gives the player an enormous element of freedom in how they choose to progress.

Play it on grounded where one to two bullets and one enemy melee hits down Joel and where the use of each bullet/Molotov/bomb/arrow, etc becomes of paramount importance, and the gameplay becomes a rush like none other. Truth is, while it's definitely not perfect, I've rarely seen TPS gameplay so well done. It's not just a good game because it's a well told story.......it's an exceptional game sans that. Honestly, I'm getting sick and tired of people dismissing TLoU's gameplay as merely aim a shoot when it's anything but, and can't help but think that those that do so have either 1) not played it, or 2) not explored it enough to realize its intricacies and nuances.

As for the story being cliche and forced, I won't even touch that, as it's anything but.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Lulu_Lulu

@MirkoS77

Thats true... But heres the thing though... Its a survival game, and sneaking around is boring and troubles, fire fights are fun and exilarating. But due to the resources contraints.

Its not really a choice...

If its Possible, Kill Everything... Go nuts and have fun.... Stealth is okay but it pales in comparison to other stealth games and sneaking around enemies without killing them sucks because Joel and Ellie don't crawl through vents, shimmy across ledges hide in cabinets and lockers, purch on gargoyles, balance on wires and other narrow structures like the peak of a roof, blend in to the crow or enviroment, use a disguise, non lethal subduing methods, a plethora of gadets and tools, he can't even jump where he wants to.

The Last Of Us is a decent stealth game, but decent is just about the only good thing I can say about it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 MirkoS77

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MirkoS77

Thats true... But heres the thing though... Its a survival game, and sneaking around is boring and troubles, fire fights are fun and exilarating. But due to the resources contraints.

Its not really a choice...

If its Possible, Kill Everything... Go nuts and have fun.... Stealth is okay but it pales in comparison to other stealth games and sneaking around enemies without killing them sucks because Joel and Ellie don't crawl through vents, shimmy across ledges hide in cabinets and lockers, purch on gargoyles, balance on wires and other narrow structures like the peak of a roof, blend in to the crow or enviroment, use a disguise, non lethal subduing methods, a plethora of gadets and tools, he can't even jump where he wants to.

The Last Of Us is a decent stealth game, but decent is just about the only good thing I can say about it.

It's not a stealth game though.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 Lulu_Lulu

@MirkoS77

My bad... I got carried away.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 MirkoS77

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@MirkoS77

My bad... I got carried away.

No worries. I should've clarified.....dedicated stealth game.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@MirkoS77

I prefer to think of it as a stupid survival game.

Reminds me of Rust.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#59  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@Khasym: @Khasym:

Believe it or not, some posters would have you believe they don't want this a sequel being made, but it's not because they played TLOU or even liked the game. Sadly, it's because they see a potential HUGE series being MASSIVE on a platform they don't like. They saw the 200+ awards, the GOTYs, the sales, the HYPE...they don't like it. TLOU is ammo in a fanboy system war. The Last of Us 2 would be ammo that these extremes would prefer not to exist. I know it sounds strange, to read about some sort of twisted and strange jealousy, but I've encountered these extreme fanboys many times on various forums and that's the game they play. It's strange asking them if they played it and they either lie and get proven as liars by other forumites or they outright admit they don't even own a PS system or the TLOU game, BUT they feel there shouldn't be a sequel. There are of course, extremists on the other side as you might imagine. Then there are the legitimate TLOU fans that pose this TLOU2 question over and over and that is what I'm responding too, the REAL fans.

Regarding how I feel? I'm indifferent and I'll explain why. I don't care if ND wants to make a new Uncharted, TLOU2, Jak 4, or some new IP. Whatever it is, I'm going to buy it. I follow developers and I trust Naughty Dog's choices. If they think they can do it justice and the team is passionate on the project (how ND operates), then I AM DOWN! I was happy to see ND and Sony take a chance creating TLOU when an easy Uncharted 4 could have been cranked out. It's nice to see NEW IPs cranked out at the end of a system's life from a 1st party. That risk was appreciated. I bought TLOU on launch because I trusted ND before they even created the Jak & Daxter games. Even if somehow TLOU2 was god awful from ND (lol, not likely)...that's okay, I'll still cherish TLOU original. It's no big deal, the existence of a sequel won't negate the original masterpiece. I say let them create whatever it is they want to create.

I've spoken on this TLOU2 sequel issue before a month ago (LINK). I will just re-use my older post on this SAME SUBJECT I linked to save me time:

----

Naughty Dog operates the way I like developers to operate. They will make a sequel to a game series if they feel they have a story to tell and gameplay ideas to back it up. If they don't, they move on and do a different project. It's why they didn't make Jak 4 and created Uncharted 1 back in the day. They would rather create a new IP like Uncharted, Jak, The Last of Us instead cramming ideas that don't fit in an older IP. ND are granted freedom from Sony as they earned it. ND aren't forced to make sequels they aren't passionate about making. It's one of the stark contrasts when you compare the last decade to say Bungie, who were sort of forced into making Halo's (in the same time ND were making games, Bungie gave us Halo, Halo 2, Halo 3, Halo ODST, and Halo Reach) and saw their peers including Naughty Dog create three separate IPs in that same time frame. Bungie freed themselves and are working on a new IP.

My point is, I don't mind if ND make TLOU 2, as long as they do with with that same philosophy they have been operating under since they created Crash Bandicoot, Jak and Daxter, Uncharted, and The Last of Us. Make the game they want to create, not being forced to create a sequel they aren't interested in.

Point is, If they decide to create a new IP after Uncharted 4, if they decide to make The Last of Us 2, if they decide to revisit Jak...I'm down with whatever. They have earned my trust since the original Crash Bandicoot PSOne games.

I follow developers, not brands, so they will get my money on their next big game (not counting TLOU Remaster since I own the PS3 version) because they are a developer I trust, much like Rocksteady and various other devs.

Avatar image for deactivated-584419ec3a052
deactivated-584419ec3a052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#60 deactivated-584419ec3a052
Member since 2012 • 333 Posts

Should it get another game? Absolutely. Should it be a sequel? No. I'd rather we see someone elses story, or a prequel explaining what happened in the time jump. Seeing Joel's first experiences dealing with survival stuff after he'd just lost his daughter could prove to be really interesting.