Should purchase a Sega Saturn? If so, what software should I buy with it?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Judgement-Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Judgement-Law
Member since 2012 • 300 Posts
Recently I have come across a Sega Saturn for only $5 for the machine, and $4 for dual controllers, as well as a game inside which i will forget to mention, Sonic R. Is it good enough for me to buy it and get software for it? If it is, please give game recommendations.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#2 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
5$ for the machine must not work lol If it does work I don't know why the fvck you're even asking this. But for the reccs: Astal Panzer Dragoon (and sequels) Nights Into Dreams Clockwork Knight Sonic Jam I'll let Darkman handle the rest :P
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

For $5, why in the heck wouldn't you get it? That's like the price of a value meal at McDonalds. Any console that has any games worth a squat is worth $5.

As for the what software to buy, my recommendations:

• Area 51
  • Astal
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Daytona USA
  • Galactic Attack
  • Guardian Heroes
  • House of the Dead
  • Mega Man 8
  • Mega Man X4
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Panzer Dragoon: Zwei
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil (if you don't have it on another system already)
  • Shinobi: Legions
  • Virtua Cop 1 & 2
  • X-Men: Children of the Atom
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
You'd be insane not to get that for only 5 bucks. First of all, before you even think about getting games, get yourself the Saturn Action Replay 4M cart. It opens up the library even more by enabling you to play imports. It also saves your game data. They're pretty cheap. Here are some good games: Worms Darius Gaiden Salamander Deluxe Pack Gradius Deluxe Pack Astal Daytona USA Road Rash Rayman Virtua Cop Virtua Fighter 2 Street Fighter Alpha Street Fighter Collection Crusader: No Remorse Radiant Silvergun Shining Force III Shining the Holy Ark Castlevania: SOTN Shinobi Legions
Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

The Goodwills in my area typically have GameCube, N64s, PS1s, Genesis and Dreamcast units all the time for $10-$15 so I've been hoping to see a Saturn there.

I'd get it for $5 in an instant, you should too.

Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#6 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
$5 is a steal. More than a steal. A robbery. An armed robbery. :P Anyway, Nights into Dreams and House of the Dead are approved!
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#7 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

for that price, of course, as long as it works of course.

as for game recommendations, just check my games list on GS.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Darkman2007

For $5, why in the heck wouldn't you get it? That's like the price of a value meal at McDonalds. Any console that has any games worth a squat is worth $5.

As for the what software to buy, my recommendations:

• Area 51
  • Astal
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Daytona USA
  • Galactic Attack
  • Guardian Heroes
  • House of the Dead
  • Mega Man 8
  • Mega Man X4
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Panzer Dragoon
  • Panzer Dragoon: Zwei
  • Rayman
  • Resident Evil (if you don't have it on another system already)
  • Virtua Cop 1 & 2
Emerald_Warrior
believe it or not , I would not recommend MKT on the Saturn , its a perfectly fine version of the game, (almost identical to the PS1), but its expensive, the PAL version especially can go for £80-100 pointless when the nearly identical PS1 version goes for 1/10 the price.
Judgement-Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Judgement-Law

Darkman2007
Where is GS?

For $5, why in the heck wouldn't you get it? Emerald_Warrior

I did not know the machine had good games to play. It was not really popular of its living days. They also have a Jaguar for $5, a little loss of colour but it seems to have no damage. Should I buy that as well? If good machines are not usually this cheap i should buy both and get software later correct? While they are cheap?

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Judgement-Law
Where is GS?

I did not know the machine had good games to play. It was not really popular of its living days. They also have a Jaguar for $5, a little loss of colour but it seems to have no damage. Should I buy that as well? If good machines are not usually this cheap i should buy both and get software later correct? While they are cheap?

GS is gamespot, its in my profile. and yes there are plenty of good games on the Saturn , popularity isnt everything.
Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#11 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
"Jaguar for 5$" "Should I buy it that as well?" "Where is GS?" Yeah...this dude seems legit :roll:
Judgement-Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Judgement-Law
[QUOTE="Dudersaper"]"Jaguar for 5$" "Should I buy it that as well?" "Where is GS?" Yeah...this dude seems legit :roll:

How was i supposed to know what GS meant? Darkman where in your profile is it? I will take a quick look at your Diablo 3 thoughts however. But I don't see the list of games?
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Judgement-Law"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]"Jaguar for 5$" "Should I buy it that as well?" "Where is GS?" Yeah...this dude seems legit :roll:

How was i supposed to know what GS meant? Darkman where in your profile is it? I will take a quick look at your Diablo 3 thoughts however. But I don't see the list of games?

surely you know that. if you can create your own account here, and your own profle, then you would know.
Judgement-Law

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Judgement-Law
[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Judgement-Law"][QUOTE="Dudersaper"]"Jaguar for 5$" "Should I buy it that as well?" "Where is GS?" Yeah...this dude seems legit :roll:

surely you know that. if you can create your own account here, and your own profle, then you would know.

The only thing I did with my profile is insert and avatar. I see your profile clearly, but I don't see the list of games, thy see is recent purchases, diablo 3 thoughts, and your reviews. I see Gamelists, I clicked on that, but it seems to mix between different systems.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Judgement-Law"][QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="Judgement-Law"] How was i supposed to know what GS meant? Darkman where in your profile is it? I will take a quick look at your Diablo 3 thoughts however. But I don't see the list of games?

The only thing I did with my profile is insert and avatar. I see your profile clearly, but I don't see the list of games, thy see is recent purchases, diablo 3 thoughts, and your reviews. I see Gamelists, I clicked on that, but it seems to mix between different systems.

there is a filter option for the game list, just go to the "owned games" section.
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
Cheap to affordable games: Astal Darius Gaiden Daytona USA Fighters Megamix Galactic Attack NiGHTS into Dreams Panzer Dragoon Panzer Dragoon Zwei Sega Rally Championship Shinobi Legions Virtua Cop 1 and 2 X-Men: Children of the Atom Great games, but also expensive: Dragon Force Panzer Dragoon Saga Saturn Bomberman Shining Force III Shining the Holy Ark
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
my personal favorites; X-men VS Street Fighter Street Fighter III: 3rd strike Guardian Heroes Zombies Revenge Shenmue Jet Set Radio Crazy Taxi House of the Dead 2
Spinnerweb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#18 Spinnerweb
Member since 2009 • 2995 Posts
[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]my personal favorites; X-men VS Street Fighter Street Fighter III: 3rd strike Guardian Heroes Zombies Revenge Shenmue Jet Set Radio Crazy Taxi House of the Dead 2

Not to make too fine a point of it but Shenmue, Crazy Taxi and House of the Dead 2 are Dreamcast games. :P
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="Spinnerweb"][QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]my personal favorites; X-men VS Street Fighter Street Fighter III: 3rd strike Guardian Heroes Zombies Revenge Shenmue Jet Set Radio Crazy Taxi House of the Dead 2

Not to make too fine a point of it but Shenmue, Crazy Taxi and House of the Dead 2 are Dreamcast games. :P

as was Street Fighter 3 , though SFA3 is on the Saturn (better than the DC and PS1 too) although Shenmue was originally a Saturn game, and I know for a fact that SF3 was planned for the Saturn at some point , but scrapped (because as we all know, putting JoJo's Bizzare Adventure on PS1 was so much better (sarcasm))
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts

[QUOTE="LP4EVA2005"]my personal favorites; X-men VS Street Fighter Street Fighter III: 3rd strike Guardian Heroes Zombies Revenge Shenmue Jet Set Radio Crazy Taxi House of the Dead 2Spinnerweb

OMG i feel like such a fool, im Sorry TC. For some odd reason i thought he asked about Dreamcast games also.

im in lala land lol

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"]

Judgement-Law

Where is GS?

You should DEFINETLY pick up both. Both have enough games to warrant $5, for sure. Even if you don't like the game libraries, Saturns go for $40-$80 online, and Jaguars for even more. You could just turn around and sell them for an extra buck.

GunBladeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22 GunBladeHero
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

Absolutely, I bought one this year and I love it for Shining Force 3, Panzer Dragoon Saga, Shining the Holy Ark, Shining Wisdom, Nights into dreams, Guardian Heroes, Albert Odyssey, Burning Heroes, Dragon Force, Virtua Fighter 2.

And also if ya gonna have more than say 10 games on it I would suggest buying a backup card to hold the saves as the Saturn's internal memory is not too big.

And one mory thing, check to see if the internal memory's battery isn't dead, if it is you have to replace it but should be cheap enough.

D3ntaRid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 D3ntaRid3
Member since 2012 • 68 Posts
The system is a bit dated and does not have games that ages as well as the N64. Also no killer app and a very low rated library. It does not really do 3D gaming, and its 2D is sib-par compared to the playstation, a lot of people overrate its 2D, it's pretty more, especially for games not arcade related. If you don't alreay have one i would get an N64 or Playstation. Saturn does not really have any standout games.
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emerald_Warrior

The system is a bit dated and does not have games that ages as well as the N64. Also no killer app and a very low rated library. It does not really do 3D gaming, and its 2D is sib-par compared to the playstation, a lot of people overrate its 2D, it's pretty more, especially for games not arcade related. If you don't alreay have one i would get an N64 or Playstation. Saturn does not really have any standout games.D3ntaRid3

I disagree with every single thing he said. And he's flat-out wrong about Saturn having sub-par 2D.

D3ntaRid3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 D3ntaRid3
Member since 2012 • 68 Posts

[QUOTE="D3ntaRid3"]The system is a bit dated and does not have games that ages as well as the N64. Also no killer app and a very low rated library. It does not really do 3D gaming, and its 2D is sib-par compared to the playstation, a lot of people overrate its 2D, it's pretty more, especially for games not arcade related. If you don't alreay have one i would get an N64 or Playstation. Saturn does not really have any standout games.Emerald_Warrior

I disagree with every single thing he said. And he's flat-out wrong about Saturn having sub-par 2D.

No, the 2D is horrible for games outside of a few shooters and fighting games.
amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#26 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="D3ntaRid3"]The system is a bit dated and does not have games that ages as well as the N64. Also no killer app and a very low rated library. It does not really do 3D gaming, and its 2D is sib-par compared to the playstation, a lot of people overrate its 2D, it's pretty more, especially for games not arcade related. If you don't alreay have one i would get an N64 or Playstation. Saturn does not really have any standout games.D3ntaRid3

Wrong. There are tons of great 2D games on the Saturn. It's arguably the best system ever made in that regard. True, if you're more into 3D gaming the PS1 and N64 are probably better options, but anyone would likely know that going in. The Saturn does 2D better than the PlayStation, anyways.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

[QUOTE="D3ntaRid3"]The system is a bit dated and does not have games that ages as well as the N64. Also no killer app and a very low rated library. It does not really do 3D gaming, and its 2D is sib-par compared to the playstation, a lot of people overrate its 2D, it's pretty more, especially for games not arcade related. If you don't alreay have one i would get an N64 or Playstation. Saturn does not really have any standout games.D3ntaRid3

Yeah, okay, you know what you're talking about :roll:

• Astal
  • Darius Gaiden
  • Galactic Attack
  • Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
  • Gex
  • Guardian Heroes
  • Marvel Super-Heroes
  • Marvel Super-Heroes vs. Street Fighter
  • Mega Man 8
  • Mega Man X3 & X4
  • Metal Slug
  • Mortal Kombat Trilogy
  • Mr. Bones
  • Radiant Silvergun
  • Rayman
  • Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
  • X-Men vs. Street Fighter
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Darkman2007
[QUOTE="D3ntaRid3"]The system is a bit dated and does not have games that ages as well as the N64. Also no killer app and a very low rated library. It does not really do 3D gaming, and its 2D is sib-par compared to the playstation, a lot of people overrate its 2D, it's pretty more, especially for games not arcade related. If you don't alreay have one i would get an N64 or Playstation. Saturn does not really have any standout games.

total nonsense, seriously why do people with no knowledge talk about things they know nothing about.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Dragon Force is the best game IMO
GunBladeHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 GunBladeHero
Member since 2007 • 894 Posts

The system is a bit dated and does not have games that ages as well as the N64. Also no killer app and a very low rated library. It does not really do 3D gaming, and its 2D is sib-par compared to the playstation, a lot of people overrate its 2D, it's pretty more, especially for games not arcade related. If you don't alreay have one i would get an N64 or Playstation. Saturn does not really have any standout games.D3ntaRid3

Yeah seriously, I also disagree with all that you said and as some people here proved, it has many great 2D games and if you wanna go as far as comparing the 2D of the Saturn is superior to that of the PS1.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Darkman2007
Dragon Force is the best game IMOrawsavon
just out of curiosity, how many games did you play on the Saturn? just seems a bit of an odd choice for a game.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
[QUOTE="rawsavon"]Dragon Force is the best game IMODarkman2007
just out of curiosity, how many games did you play on the Saturn? just seems a bit of an odd choice for a game.

20 maybe But I am not counting ones i played on the PS1
0m39AX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#34 0m39AX
Member since 2005 • 122 Posts

I would add two fighting games that, although not critically well-received as Virtua Fighter, still are great, at least for me.

LAST BRONX

(can you imagine a Virtua Fighter with weapons? It's called Last Bronx. It has deeper gameplay than Soul Edge.)

ANARCHY IN THE NIPPON

(It has amazing graphics. And also the art direction has some key elements that will appear in Shenmue. Notice, for example, that the blond girl's stage - I don't know her name, the menus are in japanese - appears to be exactly the same harbor that Ryo Hakuzi finds his part time job in Shenmue 1)

And, concerning shmups, I'd add

LAYER SECTION II

(Also, amazing graphics and effects. Solid gameplay. Nice challenge. There's a remake on PSN. But I prefer to play it on my Saturn)

THUNDER FORCE V

(same reasons from the one mentioned before)

Last, but not least, in the action genre I'd add

PSYCHIC KILLER TAROMARU

(An underrated gem. Great art direction.)

Did anyone mention

SEGA RALLY CHAMPIONSHIP

?

I don't think so. It's such a great game, even nowadays. I mean, along with Daytona USA, its mechanics and gameplay remain as enjoyable as within the moment it was released back then. Simple to pick up, but difficult to master - in a way that will trully hook you up. Its mechanic and playability still impresses me nowadays, and I keep playing it.

Sali217

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Sali217
Member since 2012 • 1301 Posts
For 5 bucks? Hell, I'd buy a broken one for that price. Especially if it comes with controllers or TV hooks/Power cords.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

DEKA, DEKA, DYNAMITE DEKA ~

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KR4dFYobLg8

It's dy-no-mate !

Then there's games like DECATHELETE, BURNING RANGERS, SHIN SHINOBI DEN, BULK SLASH, ELEVATOR ACTION RETURNS, FIGHTERS MEGAMIX.

All very much worth it.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#38 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

$5.00 for a Sega Saturn. Unless you are tech savvy and can repair a broken console. Then buy it.

0m39AX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 0m39AX

Oh, you mentioned DECATHLETE. Don't forget WINTER HEAT, which is also excelent.

bultje112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#40 bultje112
Member since 2005 • 1868 Posts

winter heat probably has the most amazing graphics I've seen on saturn

0m39AX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 0m39AX

For the one who said "it doesn't have any standout game", this is simply ridiculous. Virtua Fighter and Daytona USA alone represent a huge importance for fighting and racing genre, respectively, that one cannot deny it.

Without Virtua Fighter, there'd be no Tekken, Soul Edge, Soul Calibur, Dead or Alive... Virtua Fighter is as paradigmatic for 3D Fighting genre as Street Fighter wa s for 2D fighting. Virtua Fighter 2 is considered the chess of fighting games, being revered 'till nowadays.

Without Daytona USA, there'd be no other classic arcade racers such as Ridge Racer, Super GT, Sega Rally(Super GT and Sega Rally being also from SEGA). Daytona is as paradigmatic for arcade racers as Gran Turismo was for simulation racers. And Sega Rally is also available on Saturn. It has perfect playability(just as Daytona also has).

Radiant Silvergun is considered the best shmup of all time, period.

Nights introduced the analog controller. For my taste it may be childish, but it also has smooth playability. And is available on Live Arcade and PSN.

... and what about Panzer Dragoon? Perfect playability, and fantastic art direction. Without Panzer Dragoon, there would be no REZ or Child of Eden.

You're right, these game doesn't age well... because they simply DO NOT AGE. That's why they're CLASSICS.

And classics remain enjoyable forever.