Should millionaires use Kickstarter to fund game projects?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Invisible_Kid2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Invisible_Kid2
Member since 2003 • 6330 Posts
There's a millionaire entrepreneur who's raising money for her daughter to attend some kind of camp that teaches children to make RPGs. The daughter is 9. Here's what's fishy. She has at least 1 other Kickstarter that failed. Something about capes for kids to act like superheros. The mother, Susan Wilson, has already put one of her sons through Duke University. She's using a sob story that explains that her 2 sons were picking on the daughter and now the daughter is making a triumphant "I can do anything you can do, so I'll prove you wrong" story. I guess I'm somewhat ranting because, I'll be honest, I'm not smart enough to get people to pay for things I want. I guess I take a little bit of pride in projects that I can pay for myself.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
Sure. Dumb people are going to blow their money one way or another. Why not on a game made by a kid at game camp? People don't stop buying brand name clothing because the company is making a killing. I don't see the problem. I do think that with the way internet trolls are acting this has the potential to backfire just like the tropes vs women kickstarter and she will get even more money by them drawing attention to it. How could someone defend attacking a little girl's dream?
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
Why would anyone ever donate to this
Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#4 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
Why would anyone ever donate to thisJML897
Check this. Either people are stupid or don't value their money.
Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]Why would anyone ever donate to thisMiroku32

Wow. I should launch a Kickstarter for the gaming computer I want to build. "Help a poor college kid crushed by student loans afford the gaming computer of his dreams!" :P

Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

[QUOTE="Miroku32"][QUOTE="JML897"]Why would anyone ever donate to thisVari3ty

Wow. I should launch a Kickstarter for the gaming computer I want to build. "Help a poor college kid crushed by student loans afford the gaming computer of his dreams!" :P

Naaah.

"I need money! Will do nothing for it!"

If you do, do it like a pro!

Invisible_Kid2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Invisible_Kid2
Member since 2003 • 6330 Posts
[QUOTE="guynamedbilly"]Sure. Dumb people are going to blow their money one way or another. Why not on a game made by a kid at game camp? People don't stop buying brand name clothing because the company is making a killing. I don't see the problem. I do think that with the way internet trolls are acting this has the potential to backfire just like the tropes vs women kickstarter and she will get even more money by them drawing attention to it. How could someone defend attacking a little girl's dream?

I think that's what the mom is wanting people to think. Put on a sob story, make it about a little girl because hey, no one wants to crush a little girls dream right? https://twitter.com/FundHer This is her twitter. She's sending her kids story to anyone and everyone. Ellen, Lady Gaga, and 30-40 more people. It wouldn't bother me if 1) she wasn't a millionaire already and 2) not really a fact, but a huge hunch that she's trying to get money for her other failed Kickstarter by pulling at the heartstrings. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if she sends this tale to Anita Sarkeesian.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="JML897"]Why would anyone ever donate to thisMiroku32

Oh god, that's the most depressing thing I've ever seen. I'm with Vari3ty. I think I should start a kickstarter to get other people to pay off my student loans.

This actually kind-of makes me angry.

Lucky_Krystal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 1

#9 Lucky_Krystal
Member since 2011 • 1390 Posts

:lol:

Bu bu bu but guys! If you donate enough you can get a kickass shirt, a hat, a can koozie, AND the game she's making!!

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Vari3ty

Look at the $10,000 backer reward:

ROCK STAR REWARD LEVEL: At this level, you get everything from the previous levels plus a personal apology from her brothers and the satisfaction of knowing that you've not only started a career, you've also helped to fund future courses in computer programming for her along with more (and better) games!

Dumbass Kickstarter Campaign

A personaly apology from her brothers? For 10k? Wow, that sure is a great reward... 

homeboylizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 homeboylizard
Member since 2010 • 1289 Posts

Wow, to all the people that backed I have a message for you: This is probably the mom, during writing up the "sad yet true" story on KickStarter:

faf

Much like me during poetry tests.

LazySloth718

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 LazySloth718
Member since 2011 • 2345 Posts

Millionares don't have time for games.

Beggars and scammers are a dime a dozen.

So are gullible people.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#13 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

admittedly, a millionaire might have liabilities that make them just as unable to fund games as the rest of us. for $850? they probably have that kind of money but (according to the kickstarter page, at least) this is the 9-year-old daughter getting the money.

now, do i believe that this is all the daughter's doing? i have my suspicions but, as far as i know, there isn't much in the way of assurance for kickstarter. it's up to investors to determine where they put their money. they could crowdfund a new toilet for a fat man if they felt it was a worthy goal.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#14 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

It says the Kickstarter is to send her daughter to an RPG Camp, which is against Kickstarters rules. As are some of the other things she has been doing.

I'd recommend everyone just report it and move on.

As if it didn't seem obvious enough that the woman wrote the whole thing and likely made it all up, what the hell is with the "pictures of her kids"? The daughter looks like an idiot, the boy is shirtless and has a Christmas hat, and the other boy has a shirt that says he thinks he's a lesbian. The ****

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Vari3ty

Apparently Kickstarter is letting the project continue. Wow. 

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#16 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

Apparently Kickstarter is letting the project continue. Wow. 

Vari3ty
Did they say something or are you assuming that because it's still up on Monday? If that's true that's horrible, I guess Kickstarter wants their money too.
PannicAtack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PannicAtack
Member since 2006 • 21040 Posts

It's not even a game project. It's a week-long summer camp.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

admittedly, a millionaire might have liabilities that make them just as unable to fund games as the rest of us. for $850? they probably have that kind of money but (according to the kickstarter page, at least) this is the 9-year-old daughter getting the money.LoG-Sacrament

The thing is this isn't to fund a game, this is to send her daughter to a camp to learn how to use a particular piece of software (RPG Maker, of all things) under the premise that she'll make a game with that software at some point.

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#19 LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

[QUOTE="LoG-Sacrament"]

admittedly, a millionaire might have liabilities that make them just as unable to fund games as the rest of us. for $850? they probably have that kind of money but (according to the kickstarter page, at least) this is the 9-year-old daughter getting the money.worlock77

The thing is this isn't to fund a game, this is to send her daughter to a camp to learn how to use a particular piece of software (RPG Maker, of all things) under the premise that she'll make a game with that software at some point.

on the kickstarter page, it says that the students will make a game with the software to take home with them. that is the game in question.
wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Any one should be able to use Kickstarter when it use used for the right way. It should pay for project that would normally get paid for or spread out the risk for a project from on person.

I don't sending a kick to a camp counts.

megam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 megam
Member since 2003 • 457 Posts
Trying to get people involved in STEM (ugh... buzz words) fields is great. On the flipside, publicly naming and shaming your kids, not so much. That said, I'm not sure why this isn't categorized as a "fund my life" project. But hey, if idiots want to fund a new laptop and vacation for a spoiled kid, I won't stop them. I'll go back to pondering just how right Einstein was with regards to the infinitude of human stupidity and the universe.