Should Megaman(Classic or X) attempt 3D?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 Eddie-Murphy48
Member since 2013 • 939 Posts

To make the series relevant again, and to actually sell, some change is needed, and since there has yet to be a "real" 3D Megaman game not including Legends(Megaman Shenmue) I was wondering what you would think of one?

I could see it working, Thurd-person Adventure shooter. Something mixing in Gears with Jak II for customization weapons and open movement.

Avatar image for Smashbrossive50
Smashbrossive50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Smashbrossive50
Member since 2009 • 3915 Posts
although I am not a MM fan myself,what I can think of is that Megaman X should have this,didn't go well if it was the original version
MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
The attempt was called X7.
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#4 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

If you make Mega Man 3D, it isn't classic anymore.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#5 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I don't like 3D platformers.

I could see it working, Thurd-person Adventure shooter. Something mixing in Gears with Jak II for customization weapons and open movement.

Why not just retire the series if they are going to do that and make something new?
Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5903 Posts

I don't like 3D platformers.

I could see it working, Thurd-person Adventure shooter. Something mixing in Gears with Jak II for customization weapons and open movement.Legolas_Katarn

Why not just retire the series if they are going to do that and make something new?

Exactly right.

Suikojin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Suikojin
Member since 2005 • 333 Posts

No, but Mega Man Legends.... now that would be awesome.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts
Seems like an opportunity for Nintendo to produce the game, ala Galaxy. Not necessarily the same, but Nintendo seems to be the only group that gets tight controls for 3d platforming dead on.
shadowdisciple

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 shadowdisciple
Member since 2011 • 45 Posts

I've always felt the Ratchet and Clank series was a good representation of what a proper 3D Megaman should play like. It's got good platforming and shooting, the core gameplay elements of 2D Megamans, and the unique weapons are like the weapons you acquire from beating the different robot masters. Even some of the moves using Clank are similar to the Rush assist moves in Megaman games. Difficulty is the only big difference between the two series, in my view.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#10 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

The attempt was called X7.MAILER_DAEMON

Yep, and it didn't turn out so well.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

Yes.

And it should feature this guy:

fat_megaman.jpg

:P

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

I've always had the craziest idea that a Megaman or X game could function like an adventure game, a la Metroid Prime.  Seeing everything from X's perspective, and his cool robot HUD, as well as being able to switch between powers on the go with the fluidity of switching weapon types like in Prime.  

I don't know.  I'd buy it. lol. I'd buy just about anything Megaman related (not counting starforce) though.

Nick3306

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Nick3306
Member since 2007 • 3429 Posts

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]The attempt was called X7.Emerald_Warrior

It was executed rather poorly. I do feel it could succeed given a better effort. Plus they never ended the X series (well it technically ended after x5 and x6 but the x8 ending left questions)
sonic_spark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#14 sonic_spark
Member since 2003 • 6195 Posts

Yes (and not Legends).

I love 3D platformers.  There's been a severe shortage of them since the N64.  If it was done right, it could be amazing.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Yes.

fat_megaman.jpg

nameless12345
I'd actually prefer that, or some of the other box art.
Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#16 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

Yes.

fat_megaman.jpg

nameless12345
:lol:
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

It really depends on how they develop it. Iv'e actually thought about this for MMX though, I think it would be sick. Something like Jet Force Gemini, but with better platforming.

Djmaster214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Djmaster214
Member since 2005 • 3240 Posts

It really depends on how they develop it. Iv'e actually thought about this for MMX though, I think it would be sick. Something like Jet Force Gemini, but with better platforming.

conkertheking1
i always wanted to see Megaman X but almost exactly like ocarina of time like dungeons would be robot lords areas have a lock on feature like GTA 4 for firing and side dashing but could also be free aim( i dont think it would be as fun as a third person shooter without targeting itd feel too slow) and maybe have like a city overworld. lol iv thought about it alot but if i go into it would be a wall of text
conkertheking1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 conkertheking1
Member since 2009 • 876 Posts

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

Djmaster214

i always wanted to see Megaman X but almost exactly like ocarina of time like dungeons would be robot lords areas have a lock on feature like GTA 4 for firing and side dashing but could also be free aim( i dont think it would be as fun as a third person shooter without targeting itd feel too slow) and maybe have like a city overworld. lol iv thought about it alot but if i go into it would be a wall of text

I think the stages would have to be more straight-forward and less puzzle-based than zelda dungeons, as long as there were still secret power ups to find, and you didn't have to beat the stages in any order. One thing I love about megaman games is the freedom to find your own strategy in terms of finishing the stages.

I definately feel the targeting idea, though. Anything to make the game more fast paced, I'm all for it.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Eddie-Murphy48

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]The attempt was called X7.Emerald_Warrior

Except it wasn't an attempt. It was a @D focused game with 3D camera angles flapped on with odd controls and frame rate. In fact, only limited movement is possible in 3D in most cases and the camera controls that space in most areas that do "3D"

In theory, if it did better they may have tried harder, but Megaman X7,X8, and CM sales were abysmal and Capcom was tlo busy ppumping out as many M games that generation as possible to make up and not doing it whatsoever, so I know they thought it was pointless.

But at this point it may be one of the few options to get the series relevant. MM is now one of capcoms most unpopular and worst selling series for awhile now.

I will however, give X7 props for selling better than the other 29 or so Megaman games released that gen, and is I believe, top 15 for best selling titles in the series, which makes me sad.

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 final_lap
Member since 2006 • 388 Posts

Sidescrolling with 3D graphics is fine.

What Capcom should do is port Mega Man Powered Up to 3DS.

As for X series, either make a Dynasty Warrior styled game in X universe, or, give the series a redesign like Street Fighter 4 and make a 3D side scroller in that style.

But Capcom probably doesn't want to juggle multiple Mega Man series, not to mention having them cannibalize each other's sales.

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Eddie-Murphy48

Sidescrolling with 3D graphics is fine.

What Capcom should do is port Mega Man Powered Up to 3DS.

As for X series, either make a Dynasty Warrior styled game in X universe, or, give the series a redesign like Street Fighter 4 and make a 3D side scroller in that style.

But Capcom probably doesn't want to juggle multiple Mega Man series, not to mention having them cannibalize each other's sales.

final_lap

Yes they do that's what they did before to try and boost sales.

Also, MMX isn't a hack n slash so DW would be a bad example of a 3D game.

I also don't understand why people want ports instead of new games, but MMPU didn't sell well at all along with the X reboot which also sold pretty bad, and if not mistaken, worse. So porting wouldn't help the series at all, nor do I get how you think it would play well on a DS.

People haven't seen an actual 3D effort yet, so I don't get why they are so against a 3D megaman game nd keep wanting 2D and 2.5D games.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

conkertheking1

Yea, I always thought JFG was the "unofficial" 3D Mega Man.

Juno even looked a little like Mega Man: (and had a dog - what a coincidence)

2-juno.png

6-lupus.png

230403_17Nov10_CuteMegaMan.jpg

There should deff. be more such shooter/platformer hybrids.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]The attempt was called X7.Eddie-Murphy48

Except it wasn't an attempt. It was a @D focused game with 3D camera angles flapped on with odd controls and frame rate. In fact, only limited movement is possible in 3D in most cases and the camera controls that space in most areas that do "3D"

In theory, if it did better they may have tried harder, but Megaman X7,X8, and CM sales were abysmal and Capcom was tlo busy ppumping out as many M games that generation as possible to make up and not doing it whatsoever, so I know they thought it was pointless.

But at this point it may be one of the few options to get the series relevant. MM is now one of capcoms most unpopular and worst selling series for awhile now.

I will however, give X7 props for selling better than the other 29 or so Megaman games released that gen, and is I believe, top 15 for best selling titles in the series, which makes me sad.

It was an attempt, and you know that. The poor reaction is why they went to more of a 2.5D focus in X8 rather than the blend from before.

Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#25 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts

Here is an interesting story that is relevant to this thread.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#26 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Megaman Legends. Now shut up and go back to your cave or bridge you troll.  :)

Eddie-Murphy48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Eddie-Murphy48

Megaman Legends. Now shut up and go back to your cave or bridge you troll.  :)

Gue1

Because that's an X or orignal series game right :roll:

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 final_lap

Also, MMX isn't a hack n slash so DW would be a bad example of a 3D game.Eddie-Murphy48

X series has Zero, and the gameplay is typically very action/combat based. Things like air dashing, wall climbing, etc, reduce platforming a lot compared to classic series.

My Dynasty Warriors idea started out as simply a spinoff idea I'd like to see but the more I thought about it, the more it would resemble a true X game in 3D. Especially if it has some platforming in it.

I also don't understand why people want ports instead of new games, but MMPU didn't sell well at all along with the X reboot which also sold pretty bad, and if not mistaken, worse. So porting wouldn't help the series at all, nor do I get how you think it would play well on a DS.

I'll be fair, you raise a good point. If the game sold poorly on PSP then why would it sell better on 3DS?

However, Megaman Powered Up might have sold better if it were on DS rather than PSP. So by that logic it would sell better on 3DS.

Mega Man Star Force and Mega Man ZX each got sequels, despite being far inferior to Mega Man Powered Up. So I think it's fair to say that it comes down to platform. Oh and if SF or ZX were on PSP instead then no doubt they would have bombed.

People haven't seen an actual 3D effort yet, so I don't get why they are so against a 3D megaman game nd keep wanting 2D and 2.5D games.

I agree.

gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 gamenerd15
Member since 2007 • 4529 Posts

We need a new Mega Man IP.  The sidescroller games are cool, but I think it is time developers stop hiding behind the classic formula and take more risks.  On a side note, I do not know why people keep saying that Capcom forgot about Mega Man when the last in any franchise was only three years ago.  Other IP's such as Viewtiful Joe and Breath of Fire have not seen the light of day in over five years.  The last Viewtiful Joe game was in 2006 on the regular DS.  Breath of Fire 5 came out on PS2 back in 2003.  The last Mega Man game game was in 2010, so why is everyone complaining about it?   

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MAILER_DAEMON

We need a new Mega Man IP.  The sidescroller games are cool, but I think it is time developers stop hiding behind the classic formula and take more risks.  On a side note, I do not know why people keep saying that Capcom forgot about Mega Man when the last in any franchise was only three years ago.  Other IP's such as Viewtiful Joe and Breath of Fire have not seen the light of day in over five years.  The last Viewtiful Joe game was in 2006 on the regular DS.  Breath of Fire 5 came out on PS2 back in 2003.  The last Mega Man game game was in 2010, so why is everyone complaining about it?   

gamenerd15
Simple: They announced several games in the wake of Mega Man 9 and 10, then unceremoniously cancelled them. The most painful one was Mega Man Legends 3, which would have been the sequel to a game that hadn't seen an entry since 2000.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

MAILER_DAEMON

Simple: They announced several games in the wake of Mega Man 9 and 10, then unceremoniously cancelled them. The most painful one was Mega Man Legends 3, which would have been the sequel to a game that hadn't seen an entry since 2000.

Ok.  That does not mean the company does not care about Mega Man.  My point was that people are complaining for about a franchise that is actually far from dead, but other franchises have not actually seen the light of day at all in any form.  Mega Man Universe seemed like a cool idea, but I heard from previews that the game did not play that well.  Mega Man Legends has never been super successful, so it is no surprise that the title was cancelled

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 MAILER_DAEMON

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"][QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

gamenerd15

Ok.  That does not mean the company does not care about Mega Man.  My point was that people are complaining for about a franchise that is actually far from dead, but other franchises have not actually seen the light of day at all in any form.  Mega Man Universe seemed like a cool idea, but I heard from previews that the game did not play that well.  Mega Man Legends has never been super successful, so it is no surprise that the title was cancelled

You asked why everyone was complaining about it, and I answered.
gamenerd15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamenerd15

[QUOTE="gamenerd15"]

[QUOTE="MAILER_DAEMON"]Simple: They announced several games in the wake of Mega Man 9 and 10, then unceremoniously cancelled them. The most painful one was Mega Man Legends 3, which would have been the sequel to a game that hadn't seen an entry since 2000.MAILER_DAEMON

You asked why everyone was complaining about it, and I answered.

Yes, you did.  Either way, I think jump the gun a bit too early sometimes.  If it had been half a decade or more with no Mega Man game, then I could see the complaints.  Everyone also has to remember that Keiji Inafune is no longer with Capcom, so maybe the company is waiting to hire him as a contractor for the next Mega Man project. 

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#34 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Megaman 3D hasn't worked well in 3D. But since tech has improved maybe it might work this time. It's up to Capcom to chance it.

starfox15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#35 starfox15
Member since 2006 • 3988 Posts

I was gonna say. They've attempted this with both series of Megaman games and they both tanked. Hard. 

Unless A truly inspired developer takes the reigns of this series and fashions it into something more than just Megaman in 3D, I don't see a game like this ever being that successful. 

My answer at this point is "no" but that could change if some insane developer takes the idea and crafts a truly great game. 

final_lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 final_lap

X7 doesn't count because it was obviously a poor effort.

Legends doesn't count either since it's not even meant to be a proper MM game.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. I guess people just would rather MM never go 3D so they point to those games as examples to back up their viewpoint.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#37 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

final_lap

How doesn't it count? It was an official Mega Man X game released by Capcom in the main X series.

That's exactly why people don't want to see Mega Man go 3D, because they tried and it sucked.

MLBknights58

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 MLBknights58
Member since 2006 • 5016 Posts

Legends doesn't count either since it's not even meant to be a proper MM game.

I don't know why this is so hard to understand. I guess people just would rather MM never go 3D so they point to those games as examples to back up their viewpoint.

final_lap

Well you suck, so it doesn't count.  That's some interesting logic I can't say I agree with.  X7 is a direct result of Capcom not handling the transition well, as they were also unable to bring X back to 2d style gameplay with X8, they simply lost focus.

Legends not meant to be a proper Megaman game was literally the ENTIRE point of the Legends series, yet it stilll featured a character named Megaman with a customizable buster gun shooting bad guys, whilst exploring.  Not only did this game fail at being an adventure game, its little RPG elements were also incredibly shallow much like its exploration.  Combat was horribly clunky with a lockon system that did everything in its power to stop you, (a certain boss fight with the Trons was especially frustrating) although this was rectified in Legends 2.  However, the games IMO were still poor in concept and execution.  This... uh definitely counts as  3D Megaman title.  

I'm certain a large portion of fans (including myself) would love to see Megaman make the successful transition to 3D, its just that Capcom has shown they are incapable of doing so.  It would take a very creative dev to bring X or Classic Megaman into the 3D realm and still capture the essence of Megaman, fast paced platforming and action.  Something that is very difficult to do in 3D.