Should I upgrade to a gaming PC?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cptkage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 cptkage
Member since 2015 • 7 Posts

Im considering dropping 1k on those IBP PC I've been looking at but I'm questioning if the buying one is even worth it. I have a PS4 and I'm happy with it, and I'm super hyped for Fallout 4.

Can this rig run fallout 4 1080p 60fps?

I7-4790k processor

16 ddr3 memory

Geforce gtx 960 graphics

Thing is I'm perfectly fine with console in fact I feel like it would be more fun on ps4. Is it worth upgrading?

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

If you fine with a console then stay with the console.

Despite what the other may say mods are the only reason to get PC for a game release on a number of systems.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#3 deactivated-5a44ec138c1e6
Member since 2013 • 2638 Posts

@cptkage said:

Im considering dropping 1k on those IBP PC I've been looking at but I'm questioning if the buying one is even worth it. I have a PS4 and I'm happy with it, and I'm super hyped for Fallout 4.

Can this rig run fallout 4 1080p 60fps?

I7-4790k processor

16 ddr3 memory

Geforce gtx 960 graphics

Thing is I'm perfectly fine with console in fact I feel like it would be more fun on ps4. Is it worth upgrading?

I somehow still play my consoles more so stay where you are if it's comfortable.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

@wiouds said:

If you fine with a console then stay with the console.

Despite what the other may say mods are the only reason to get PC for a game release on a number of systems.

60fps is enough of a reason to, i find 30fps unplayable

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

I upgraded my P.C. for games in winter and still find myself preferring consoles and handhelds. It might be down to certain games and my friends being on said devices.

60FPS is never an essential feature. Or even relevant for most games. What got me back was two fun P.C. exclusives, and a few more I'm excited for :P

Just play on what platform you have the most fun on. That's kinda the point.

Bravo632

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Bravo632
Member since 2015 • 207 Posts

Funny... I spend most of my gaming time on PC and I'm considering buying a PS4.

Xisiuizado

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Xisiuizado
Member since 2014 • 592 Posts

@cptkage said:

...I have a PS4 and I'm happy with it, and I'm super hyped for Fallout 4.

You answered your own question. As an X1 fanboy, I wouldn't even consider it. The thousand dollars you estimated will be far more than what I'd need to buy every game I'll get on the X1. The PS4 should be similar.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Well only you can decide ofc. Perhaps you should go on Steam and see if there are any PC exclusives you are interested in?I build my rig a few years ago and I def like some things about PC-gaming. For example the option for kb/m is huge for some games I feel, like shooters and games with a lot of menus/inventory stuff. Much bigger deal than I thought. Framerate is a thing, even though it's a bit subjective. To me stable 30fps is fine, but games that frequently dips below can feel kind of nauseating. 60 is nice though :).

Another benefit is that your games stay in your Steam library over generational shifts. On PC u don't have to think about backwards compatability. If you feel like playing an old game u just click on it in ur steam library and your good to go (after download/install (some older games can be a bit problematic to run)).As for exclusives the PC library doesn't appeal to me personally, much more into console stuff, but that's also subjective ofc.

One thing to think about is that the Oculus Rift / Vive (VR-headsets) coming out have min-specs GTX970, so if you wanna try that you should go for a slightly more powerful rig.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

@RSM-HQ said:

I upgraded my P.C. for games in winter and still find myself preferring consoles and handhelds. It might be down to certain games and my friends being on said devices.

60FPS is never an essential feature. Or even relevant for most games. What got me back was two fun P.C. exclusives, and a few more I'm excited for :P

this isnt sw so im just going to ask why you dont think a more superior frame rate should not be a standard? ever try playing a fighting game thats not 60 fps? a shooter thats under 60fps? racing genre under 60 fps?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@jsmoke03 said:
@RSM-HQ said:

this isnt sw so im just going to ask why you dont think a more superior frame rate should not be a standard? ever try playing a fighting game thats not 60 fps? a shooter thats under 60fps? racing genre under 60 fps?

I think 60fps can be essential for some games (and some people def seem more sensitive to it). But a lot of games aren't that precise, so it doesn't matter as much. For example I like Uncharted, Red Dead, Mass Effect, Arkham etc. Those games have pretty loose gameplay so framerate is not such a big deal imo. I think the devs are doing the right priority by going for better visuals.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11666 Posts

@jsmoke03: I'd check again in what I stated as a whole. "most games"

Fighting games I am very selective for framerate. For competitive reasoning, 0.3 of a second can change the course of a round. However, I don't know a console game that had a Street Fighter, Tekken, or Guilty Gear under 60 FPS in generations, so not sure that is relevant. Let alone how small the genre is as a whole when you consider gaming as a whole.

First Person Shooters? . . Hmm. . . Quake 3 Arena did well as a competitive game at 30FPS when I was a kid playing on P.C. didn't see people complain. So, not sure I see it being as essential as with Fighters/ Racers/ and Slashers (aka) Bayonetta. At most you need a 1.5 second awareness in a shooter. Which 30FPS covers.

For some games it is important. However when I hear it for RPGs and action games like Metal Gear Solid I don't understand why it's needed. It's a pointless hot topic like the way women look in gaming (that's another subject for another day)

I've been playing some retro games at 24FPS. And the difference in frame rate never crossed my mind. Despite the games being years older than me.

For certain genres it has a purpose. I won't state more than I have.

But! In overall gaming, should be considered less as a must-have feature. If you play all games for 60FPS in mind? Why bother gaming? You're missing out. In fact, you may have missed a chance playing a game you would have otherwise loved!

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

well specifically in the realm of Fallout/Elder Scrolls, it's much better on PC. I mean, you can't appreciate what the mod community does for these games without experiencing it first hand. Those are pretty much the only franchises where I feel like if you're playing them on consoles, you're doing it wrong.

Xanatos357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#13  Edited By Xanatos357
Member since 2015 • 787 Posts

@cptkage: Just stick with console. you could buy a lot of games with that $1000

Avatar image for elitegamingguru
EliteGamingGuru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By EliteGamingGuru
Member since 2015 • 280 Posts

I think every true gamer needs to have a gaming PC and at least one of the new gen systems(in my case PS4). I guess it might be a bit redundant having a X1 and PC, but they both jive together well, so that is cool too. Honestly, I wish I had all three, but my gaming rig and PS4 will suffice.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#15 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

I think you're overshooting the Processor a little for a gaming PC. i5-4690k with a cooler is more than enough in my opinion, assuming you want to play with 60FPS/1080p.

I personally think a gaming PC is fantastic, there's never a drought with games, quality releases not backloaded into the holiday season, good competitive online services, cheap games and flexibility with control scheme. You have a broader access to Genres and a thriving middle tier and I personally feel that its exclusive lineup outclasses consoles by a significant margin since I'm into Strategy, build/management, competitive games and RPGs; on top of that its quantity of high quality releases is quite significant. If you're into indie games, it's a must have also, but you can easily build something lighter if that's what you really want access to.

Bikouchu35

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Bikouchu35
Member since 2009 • 8344 Posts

Build it yourself and you can save $.

4690k i5 and gtx 970.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#17  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17803 Posts

PC gaming is the way to go if you care about a quality experience. Consoles are laughably under-powered and struggle to do 1080p/60fps. I only buy exclusives on consoles because every game is so much better on PC. It is painful playing on console.

I would recommend a 970 instead of a 960. It is worth the extra money.

Avatar image for canofdietsprite
CanOfDietSprite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 CanOfDietSprite
Member since 2015 • 34 Posts

@wiouds: Im not entirely sure about PS4, but i know Xbox One will be supporting mods for Fallout 4 and Fallout 3.

TGxBaldness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 TGxBaldness
Member since 2015 • 45 Posts

It is a matter of pride.

A PC is tool and console is a toy.

MonkeyDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MonkeyDot
Member since 2015 • 106 Posts

@tgxbaldness said:

It is a matter of pride.

If you only use the PC for gaming, it's a toy too.

TGxBaldness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 TGxBaldness

@monkeydot said:
@tgxbaldness said:

It is a matter of pride.

No one only uses a PC for gaming.

MonkeyDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MonkeyDot

@tgxbaldness said:
@monkeydot said:
@tgxbaldness said:

It is a matter of pride.

No one only uses a PC for gaming.

Literally no one.

TGxBaldness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TGxBaldness

@monkeydot: Yes.

It is impossible to just use a modern PC to game.

MonkeyDot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By MonkeyDot

@tgxbaldness: Yeah you didn't make that very clear. You said it like no one plays on PC.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@tgxbaldness said:

@monkeydot: Yes.

It is impossible to just use a modern PC to game.

But everything else can be done with much weaker PC.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

@canofdietsprite said:

@wiouds: Im not entirely sure about PS4, but i know Xbox One will be supporting mods for Fallout 4 and Fallout 3.

that's misleading. No one knows about restrictions or limitations. I can't imagine mods like Fores or Skse making their way to consoles because of how they work...and that's a lot of really cool stuff right there that you won't be getting because of all the other mods that make use of them. Additionally, likely no modding visuals and no texture overhauls above 1080p since consoles can't even display them. Anything that uses patchers? doubt it. You'll get your horse armor, though.