Should i buy Skyrim on my ps3?

• 51 results
#1 Posted by Matas_0R_Not (60 posts) -

ok guys i need help fast. i'm thinking of buying Skyrim i have some questions.

How long is the gameplay?

How you enjyed it? (rate 1-10)

When did you got bored of it?

What are the oppurtunities in the game? (weapons, rob banks, loot everything and stuff)

the inventory system good?

are all the circular shapes are made of straight lines like in gta san andreas?

other points worth knowing

#2 Edited by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

First of all: Get the Legendary Edition. It has extra content.

How long it is will depend on how you play. There are about 450 quests in the Legendary Edition (and only about 370 in the standard edition). If you just blow through the main quest, the game won't last very long (maybe 15 hours). But if you spend a lot of time exploring, the game could easily soak up 300+ hours, if not more.

It is one of my favorites. I give it a superb 9.5/10.

I started getting bored of it after my third playthrough. By that time, I had spent a solid 500+ hours in all.

There is quite a bit of looting to be done. Seriously, there is a lot. Especially if you join the Thieves Guild.

The inventory system is very well done. It is easy to manage and track. It is a breeze.

I do not understand what you mean by circles and lines.....?

Other points worth knowing: It takes time to get used to. It is a Role-Playing game, so don't expect the game to just hand everything to you. You have to work for what you get.

Try not to blow through it. Do some exploring, learn about the world and the lore. Savor it.

Save often.

The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim: Legendary Edition

#3 Posted by Matas_0R_Not (60 posts) -

@Kevlar101:

what i meant about the shapes is about graphics. the only thing i hate about older games is when a circular wheel starts to look like a square (made with straight lines) and if the game has proper circles ( you know round, 360 degrees) i'm getting this game.

#4 Posted by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

@matas_0r_not said:

@Kevlar101:

what i meant about the shapes is about graphics. the only thing i hate about older games is when a circular wheel starts to look like a square (made with straight lines) and if the game has proper circles ( you know round, 360 degrees) i'm getting this game.

If I understand you correctly (which I am about 90% sure that I do), then yes, it does have proper circles. The game doesn't have revolutionary graphics or anything, but the game is still great looking in it's own right. Trust me, you should get the game.

#5 Posted by SoNin360 (5658 posts) -

I've spent over 200 hours on this game including its DLC, and that's just with one character. I wanted to do another character to do different things and have a different set-up and everything, but I wouldn't be playing many other games if I did. In short, Skyrim is one of the best open world games I've experienced, with only Fallout 3 slightly topping it. I don't have many gripes with it, aside from some of its technical issues, which aren't too bad with the game fully patched. But that's not to say it doesn't get boring at times. I've mainly played Skyrim in large doses but short in short durations, if that makes sense. In other words I find it best to sink a lot of hours into in a relatively short amount of time, take a break for a while, then do it again.

#6 Edited by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@matas_0r_not: Skyrim really isn't worth buying unless you get it on PC, since it's not really playable on anything else thanks to game-halting glitches and the lack of mod support that would spice up the game's complete lacking of depth.

"How long is the gameplay?"
The gameplay basically has no depth, so it will only last for as long as you can tolerate basically doing nothing. Exploring can be kind of fun, but you'll eventually realize that there's nothing interesting or worthwhile to find. The most fun to be had with the game is through mods, which are only available on PC.

"How you enjyed it? (rate 1-10)"
4/10

"When did you got bored of it?"
I don't remember.

"What are the oppurtunities in the game? (weapons, rob banks, loot everything and stuff)"
You can loot everything and there are several kinds of weapons, but none of them offer anything substantially different or do anything to make the bland combat interesting.

"the inventory system good?"
No.

"are all the circular shapes are made of straight lines like in gta san andreas?"
No.

"other points worth knowing"
Don't buy it.

#7 Edited by speedfreak48t5p (9260 posts) -

You don't need to buy the game. It's surprisingly boring, shallow, and repetitive.

#8 Posted by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

Hey TC... don't listen to those two users above me. They are both most likely spoiled PC gamers.

Skyrim is worth buying, trust me.

#9 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (9260 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

Hey TC... don't listen to those two users above me. They are both most likely spoiled PC gamers.

Skyrim is worth buying, trust me.

I'm not a huge PC gamer at all though.

#10 Edited by callsignneptune (256 posts) -

Just do it man. One of the greatest games of last gen. I'm replaying it at the minute and dear god is it wonderful. So much fun.

#11 Posted by Matas_0R_Not (60 posts) -

@callsignneptune: thanks, i'm getting it on saturday 'cause theres more positive comments everywhere than negative. i would rather get a good long storyline game than a short "perfect" game.

#12 Edited by callsignneptune (256 posts) -

@matas_0r_not: If you're looking for longevity and good value for money then you'll definitely get it in Skyrim (buy the legendary edition with all the DLC!). My partner has put 100+ hours into it, I put 50+ into my old save and my friends on average have put around 75+ hours into it. It's a massive time sink, there's so much to do in the game from exploring, crafting, smithing, quests, alchemy, marriage, joining guilds and factions, to name but a few. It is HUGE. It's not the prettiest and you might experience some technical issues like pop in and the frame rate sometimes drops but game play wise it is phenomenal. I hope you enjoy it mate!

#13 Posted by jdc6305 (3988 posts) -

PS3 version is broken. The frame rate sucks the game looks like shit on PS3 and it crashes all the time. I own skyrim on PS3 and 360. I wouldn't play it at all if the PS3 were my only option. If you buy it and your ps3 keeps crashing it will break your blu ray.

#14 Posted by huerito323 (1380 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@matas_0r_not: Skyrim really isn't worth buying unless you get it on PC, since it's not really playable on anything else thanks to game-halting glitches and the lack of mod support that would spice up the game's complete lacking of depth.

"How long is the gameplay?"

The gameplay basically has no depth, so it will only last for as long as you can tolerate basically doing nothing. Exploring can be kind of fun, but you'll eventually realize that there's nothing interesting or worthwhile to find. The most fun to be had with the game is through mods, which are only available on PC.

"How you enjyed it? (rate 1-10)"

4/10

"When did you got bored of it?"

I don't remember.

"What are the oppurtunities in the game? (weapons, rob banks, loot everything and stuff)"

You can loot everything and there are several kinds of weapons, but none of them offer anything substantially different or do anything to make the bland combat interesting.

"the inventory system good?"

No.

"are all the circular shapes are made of straight lines like in gta san andreas?"

No.

"other points worth knowing"

Don't buy it.

^^^Hipster

I put over 300 hours on the 360 version and it seemed pretty damn playable to me. One of the best gaming experiences I've had.

My answer: Don't listen to hipsters,

#15 Edited by callsignneptune (256 posts) -

@jdc6305: I own it on both and have played it on both. Haven't experienced any issues on either. Yes, the PS3 version had a lot of issues at launch but the vast majority of it was all patched and it's fine now.

#16 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18216 posts) -

Atleast now people are more honest that this game is Heavily Padded.

#17 Edited by Beagle050 (729 posts) -

@matas_0r_not: if you want a game that you can finish 100% within a week, no. Between all of the DLC, you can chalk up to 1000 hours doing all up the quests.

If you just want to do the main quest, hate open world games, or don't like RPGs that start off with some difficulty, then I wouldn't. It's one of the best open world games, though.

I've played for 1,300 hours, and I still play it. The story sucks, but it's a fun game.

#18 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (19007 posts) -
@matas_0r_not said:

@Kevlar101:

There are no circles in 3D games, not even next-next gen ones. All the circular shapes you see actually have hundreds of angles and sides.

#19 Edited by Flubbbs (3507 posts) -

you should get it on PC if possible.. i couldnt imagine playing Skyrim without glorious mod support

#20 Edited by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@matas_0r_not said:

@Kevlar101:

There are no circles in 3D games, not even next-next gen ones. All the circular shapes you see actually have hundreds of angles and sides.

I know that. I'm not a total idiot. You should be telling that to the TC, not me.

#21 Edited by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@matas_0r_not said:

@callsignneptune: thanks, i'm getting it on saturday 'cause theres more positive comments everywhere than negative. i would rather get a good long storyline game than a short "perfect" game.

Skyrim doesn't have a good, long storyline. The storyline is actually incredibly terrible, as is the writing in the rest of the game. And the gameplay is nothing to speak of either. You'd be far better off getting a short, perfect game with high replay value than a long boring one.

#22 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -
@huerito323 said:

^^^Hipster

I put over 300 hours on the 360 version and it seemed pretty damn playable to me. One of the best gaming experiences I've had.

Accusing someone of being a hipster is a cop out to avoid acknowledging the points they bring up. To this day, multiple quest lines are outright broken, AI gets bugged to make progress impossible, there are huge graphical glitches, and dragons (one of the most advertised aspects of the game) still jank around all over the place when they fly. The only way to fix any of these problems is to play on PC, since it offers the flexibility to work around these or install fan-made fixes because Bethesda's too fucking lazy of a developer to properly finish their own game.

I've put over 200 hours into the game on PC. It's a crappy, broken, shallow experience. I can only imagine how much worse the game is on consoles where you can't spice the game up with mods or install fan-made patches to fix Bethesda's shitty programming.

#23 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19007 posts) -

@Kevlar101 said:

@Black_Knight_00 said:
@matas_0r_not said:

@Kevlar101:

I know that. I'm not a total idiot. You should be telling that to the TC, not me.

I was telling him.

#24 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18216 posts) -

^! ! ! HALLELUJAH ! ! !^

#25 Edited by SaintsRowLA (59 posts) -

@matas_0r_not:

Do not buy the PS3 version. Buy the 360 or PC version if you can.

This game will bore you to tears with long walks from A to B and long load times every time, even when you want to just open a door.

If you play video games to have fun, you'll have much more fun playing almost anything else.

#27 Edited by HipHopBeats (2718 posts) -

Get Fallout 3 GOTY and Skyrim Legendary Edition. Expect glitches and occasional freezing from both games, but they are two of the best open world, RPG games you can play for PS3 with hours of fun. Fallout 3 GOTY is a blast, way more immersive than Skyrim and is dirt cheap. And if you like that, you can check out Fallout New Vegas Ultimate Edition which is also dirt cheap.

Skyrim is good but more of a 'play for a few hours, take a break, then come back to it later' type of game. There are so many other stories and side quests you can accumulate, simply by talking to NPC's or reading certain books, you can easily feel overwhelmed at first but just explore the world and have fun during your first playthrough.

If you get Skyrim, this perk calculator can help you plan out character builds once you become familiar with the perk system.

Also, this alchemy calculator will come in handy for making potions without guessing which ingredients go best with what.

#28 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@HipHopBeats: Isn't the game still outright broken on PS3? Also, he really doesn't need either of those calculators. The game doesn't have nearly enough depth to justify bothering with any of it.

#29 Posted by Khaz_Modan (167 posts) -

Don't buy it. Buy the PC version instead. I guarantee it will last ten times as long on the PC than on the PS3. Moreover, the PS3 version of Skyrim is known to be buggy. Last time I heard, PS3 didn't even have all the DLCs yet. Don't quote me on that though.

Anyway, the reason why the PC version is far superior is because of the mods, which aren't possible in the console versions. Trust me. Buy it for the PC. You'll thank me later.

#30 Edited by huerito323 (1380 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:
@huerito323 said:

^^^Hipster

Accusing someone of being a hipster is a cop out to avoid acknowledging the points they bring up. To this day, multiple quest lines are outright broken, AI gets bugged to make progress impossible, there are huge graphical glitches, and dragons (one of the most advertised aspects of the game) still jank around all over the place when they fly. The only way to fix any of these problems is to play on PC, since it offers the flexibility to work around these or install fan-made fixes because Bethesda's too fucking lazy of a developer to properly finish their own game.

I've put over 200 hours into the game on PC. It's a crappy, broken, shallow experience. I can only imagine how much worse the game is on consoles where you can't spice the game up with mods or install fan-made patches to fix Bethesda's shitty programming.

And yet you played it over 200 hours LOL. Ok pal. I'm pretty sure if a game was broken, you wouldn't be able to put 200 hours into it, and if it was so crappy and shallow, why in the blue hell did you play it over 200 hours?

I won't acknowledge any points being brought up when it's all opinionated. I've heard it all before, it's shallow, it's boring, it's broken..blah blah blah. The game wasn't meant for you.

#31 Posted by HipHopBeats (2718 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@HipHopBeats: Isn't the game still outright broken on PS3? Also, he really doesn't need either of those calculators. The game doesn't have nearly enough depth to justify bothering with any of it.

Skyrim is pretty stable on PS3 as of now. Of course the PC version is the way to go if you got the requirements to run it. It's a Bethesda console game so you can expect occasional freezing and glitching, especially if you do not disable auto saves.

For someone new to TES games, the perk calculator can save a lot of time and possible frustration of screwing up a character and becoming a glass tank getting one shotted mid game because you didn't level your character right. The alchemy calculator is definitely useful unless you have all the potions memorized which might not be a cool thing to brag about.

#32 Edited by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@huerito323 said:

And yet you played it over 200 hours LOL.

The majority of that time was spent trying out mods.

"Ok pal. I'm pretty sure if a game was broken, you wouldn't be able to put 200 hours into it"
I'm pretty sure people can spend a significant amount of time even with a broken game. Skyrim is broken. You can't even argue that it isn't. The game is straight up unplayable on PS3 and I had to install a fan made patch to fix a lot of the shit Bethesda left broken, and even that doesn't fix everything.

and if it was so crappy and shallow, why in the blue hell did you play it over 200 hours?
Because I enjoy trying out mods and kept hoping that I'd eventually find something fun if I kept exploring. After playing for over 200 hours I can only look back at the game with complete disappointment.

"The game wasn't meant for you."
This is the shittiest, laziest cop out defense for a game ever. You can literally defend any game by claiming it wasn't meant for the people with legitimate issues with it. I enjoyed Oblivion, I enjoyed Fallout 3. Skyrim is just a bad game.

#33 Edited by huerito323 (1380 posts) -

@Pffrbt said:

@huerito323 said:

This is the shittiest, laziest cop out defense for a game ever. You can literally defend any game by claiming it wasn't meant for the people with legitimate issues with it. I enjoyed Oblivion, I enjoyed Fallout 3. Skyrim is just a bad game.

LOL..Only the worst Elder Scrolls game. Good for you.

#34 Edited by HipHopBeats (2718 posts) -

@huerito323 said:

@Pffrbt said:

@huerito323 said:

Lol! I was considering purchasing Oblivion because the quests and colorful world does look good. But the crap combat and copy / paste dungeons deter me from wanting to invest any time into playing it. Combat looks even worse than Skyrim despite how Skyrim gave magic users the middle finger.

#35 Edited by Threesixtyci (4300 posts) -

Pretty sure Red Guard would be the worst Elder Scrolls game... or maybe Battlespire.

#36 Edited by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

Don't. But if you do, but it used. Those crooks shouldn't get your money.

#37 Posted by HipHopBeats (2718 posts) -

@Threesixtyci said:

Pretty sure Red Guard would be the worst Elder Scrolls game... or maybe Battlespire.

Lol, do games even count?

#38 Edited by Threesixtyci (4300 posts) -
  1. How long is the gameplay?
  2. How you enjyed it? (rate 1-10)
  3. When did you got bored of it?
  4. What are the oppurtunities in the game? (weapons, rob banks, loot everything and stuff)
  5. the inventory system good?
  6. are all the circular shapes are made of straight lines like in gta san andreas?
  7. other points worth knowing

1. However it takes until you get tired of Role Playing your character.
  2. Guess about an 8 with mods... Probably would have been a 4 without them. Game out of the box is all fluff and eyecandy.
  3. After about 200 hours, I suppose, but fire the game up again within 1-6 months, afterwards, regularly.
  4. Whatever you want on the PC version. Mainly, finding quests, completing them and tons of exploring.
  5. No. The UI sucks.
  6. The graphics is the only thing going for the game without the use of mods.
  7. Console versions aren't as flexible as the PC version. In that you can fix a glitched quests and or bring characters back to life in the PC version. I personally never use the maps fast travel function, either.
#39 Posted by Threesixtyci (4300 posts) -

@HipHopBeats said:

@Threesixtyci said:

Lol, do games even count?

Those were games....
Redguard
Battlespire

#40 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

@huerito323 said:

@Pffrbt said:

@huerito323 said:

Oblivion may still be a pretty bad game, but it has slightly more depth and room for experimentation than Skyrim. Skyrim removed all meaningful customization, all meaningful NPC interaction, anything with any depth at all. Skyrim is a game that got rid of the ability to level up hand to hand combat yet kept speechcraft despite having no meaningful NPC interaction whatsoever.

#41 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18216 posts) -

@ Pffrbt

Substitue the word Depth with Complexity and then I'l agree with you. :)

People usually get the two mixed up.

#42 Edited by ojmstr (1342 posts) -

You should buy it on the ps3 if you have a ps3, great game, one of the best last gen games. Dont listen to these pc nerds talking of mods play it the way it was ment to be played and just enjoy the game, the story and the awesome open landscapes with montains, dungeons, dragons, huge citys and strongholds. Totally awesome game and story. 9/10 game

#43 Edited by CTR360 (7372 posts) -

yes i spend 200 hours on skyrim the ps3 version and 300 hours on 360 version i loveskyrim never bother me i have a lot of issues but skurim one of the best RPG this gen and overrall for me i rate it 9.5/10

#44 Edited by Cloud_imperium (5728 posts) -

I heard SKYRIM on PS3 is broken . Don't know whether they fixed the game yet or not . If you have PC , then go for the PC version . If you have 2 consoles then go for Xbox 360 version .

I'd give it 9/10 , I played it on PC .

Keep in mind that , the game starts pretty slow , so give it a little time . Once it picks up , it is hard to stop playing .

#45 Posted by WolfgarTheQuiet (478 posts) -

Depends if you like Mods.

#47 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6287 posts) -

Get it for pc for the insane mods and the epic graphics and smooth gameplay at 60+fps at 1080+p!!! The true way its meant to be played don't listen to console plebs telling you otherwise they have convinced them self the eye can only see 30fps and that 720p is more cinematic its all lies I tell you!

#48 Edited by DJ_Headshot (6287 posts) -
@timthecole said:

Anybody in this blog that is trying to compare the PC version of SKYRIM to the console version need to shoot them selves. They are completely incomparable, for one using mods or the console command is for little bitches that are to scared of getting ass raped by a skeever or anything else they are scared of like Lydia. As previously stated this is probs one of the best games made by Bethesda and will probably be considered as such for anyone that can enjoy the slow story line and the massive exploration opportunities. At this point in time you more than likely already have this game and are actually enjoying it without the mods because you my friend are a man... everybody else can get raped by a skeever, lydia, and a hagraven.

No you and something very negative about your mother! oh yeah and go suck a bag of dicks! or you can eat a sack of baby dicks you Mother F*CKER!

#49 Posted by Pffrbt (6596 posts) -

No. The game is only worth playing on PC with mods, and even that is pushing it.

#50 Posted by waffleboy22 (221 posts) -

I really think you might enjoy better on the pc if you have the option. It seems like a game that would require a lot of power, but I bought it first on PC on an average laptop (an HP) and it ran fairly well. But if you've never played it then I would say buy it on whatever you can. it really is a great game and it still looks really great at some points even after 3 years. As for how much you'll enjoy it, that really depends on what kind of games you play. If you enjoyed Fallout or any other Elder Scrolls game you probably will enjoy it, but the Elder Scrolls unfortunately isn't for everyone