Should I buy Duke Nukem Forever?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by A_MExican21 (116 posts) -

It's only 5 bucks at Ebgames, is it worth it?

#2 Posted by Stinger78 (5826 posts) -

Many people will tell you not to. Many reviewers hated it.

Personally, I was a huge Duke Nukem 3D fan, and all I wanted and was waiting for was a new "Duke". I paid full price for it at release, and that's what I got.

Edit:  If you're thinking console instead of PC, you might be best with it for Xbox 360 since installing it to the hard drive will help reduce loading times (whereas I don't know that installation is always an available option for the PS3 version.

Edit 2:  Here's a review by a guy who is/was also one of the biggest Duke 3D fans.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_EESRrn-Ck

#3 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18414 posts) -
Yes, the game isn't the best thing out there but it is fun and worth $5.
#4 Posted by SciFiCat (1750 posts) -
I'm sure you can buy a better game with your $5 than that atrocity.
#5 Posted by marcheegsr (2907 posts) -

I remember before its release I had high hopes for it and was thinking it was going to decent. Boy was I wrong.

I rather play the original on pc any day.

#6 Posted by DJ_Lae (42748 posts) -
It's not worth it. It's not a bad game, it's just an exceptionally mediocre one. It's not funny, the level design is boring, the guns aren't all that satisfying, and the load times are terrible. As a result you can't even make fun of the game as you play because it's just so mind-numbingly soul sucking.
#7 Posted by pawq4 (476 posts) -

Don't waste your time.

#8 Posted by Alpha_S_ (390 posts) -

No.  I've gotten much better games for less than that.

#9 Posted by Gamertag-TFTW (2235 posts) -

Don't bother... mediocre.

#10 Posted by nooblet69 (5162 posts) -

Nah, I only played like 20 mins and never looked back.

#12 Posted by AcidSoldner (7051 posts) -
If you are a Duke Nukem fan, then yes, it is worth $5. It's not a broken game by any means, just an extremely mediocre and dated one. There's actually quite a bit of fun to be had if you can look past some of its shortcomings.
#13 Posted by pillarrocks (1320 posts) -
Terrible game.
#14 Posted by SoNin360 (5567 posts) -
It's the only Duke Nukem game I've played and I didn't think it was as bad as most people say. For me, it was kind of in the 'it's so stupid it's funny" category. That said, it did get quite dull at times, but I didn't have too much trouble in making myself finish it. For $5, I guess go for it if you're interested. Just lower your expectations and you might have a little fun with it.
#15 Posted by Ballroompirate (23279 posts) -

No it's not even worth the $5.

#16 Posted by mahlasor (1278 posts) -

There is a Duke Nukem Forever mod for Duke Nukem 3D.  WAYYYY BETTER.

#17 Posted by RageQuitter69 (1297 posts) -

Many people will tell you not to buy it, but those are the same people who consider Mass Effect 2's combat to be good and Metal Gear Solid 4 to have enough gameplay. The game is FUN, and that is what a game should be, the game is just trying to give the player a good time rather than being so serious that it forgets about gameplay like the most critically aclaimed games this generation. Buy it, the only real problems with the game is the long loading times.

#18 Posted by AbstractRadical (629 posts) -
It may be bad but for 5 dollars you should get it.
#19 Posted by Treflis (11593 posts) -
For 5 bucks it's very entertaining. It's not up to par with Duke Nukem 3D but after 12 years in development I doubted it anyways, But I found it entertaining and in the end that's what matters.
#20 Posted by c_rakestraw (14758 posts) -

There are some games that just aren't worth $5. This is one of those games.

Also, we have a thread for this. Please use that next time.