Should I be ashamed of being generations behind in gaming?

#1 Edited by MDK12345 (537 posts) -

So right now I have a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and I still play PS2 games on my PS3 60 GB. I also have N64 and SNES and plan to get an NES again. I just have so many games to play that I can't see myself getting a PS4 anytime soon. I just got the PS3 a few months ago. It was my dads but I had no idea he had one all these years and found it, he let me have it. So I have a number of games on PS3, but plan on playing many more games for it. All these years I wasn't really keeping up with the 7th gen. I had this idea that all games were 60 bucks and so I kind of shied away from current gaming. But now I see that so many games can be had for 5 to 10 bucks, and I've got so many of those titles at Gamestop and on Ebay. Furthermore, I just picked up about 30 PS2 games at Gamestop for about a buck each. And they weren't crappy games, they were games that I always had on my wishlist but were about 60 bucks at the time. As a matter of fact, I still play PS1 games on my PS3. There are some good PS1 games that have in fact aged well. Ever heard of Einhander or Apocalypse? Love those games.

So my insecurities come from seeming like a dinosaur, someone who's out of touch. I mean people are starting to call the 360 and PS3 dinosaurs and that right there hit me and made me realize I might not be able to keep up with gaming anymore. Sure, Infamous 2nd son looks good, but I'm saying it may be a while before I'm ready to jump aboard. I have more games right now than I can play, so I don't feel like spending more money. I just got a Wii U. I could have just got a PS4 instead, but figured I was having fun with PS3 and I wanted to play Donkey Kong again more than anything. I don't know what to do.. I have so many systems that I'm going to have to expand my entertainment center. Would it be weird to wait a couple years give or take to get a PS4 or X box one?

#2 Edited by SoNin360 (5342 posts) -

There's nothing wrong with it at all... play what you want to at your own pace. This especially applies if you don't care for online portions of games. I tend to be about a year behind or so with most games I play. There are but a select few games I will pick up around or very shortly after release. Personally, I plan on getting a PS4 within the next few months, but I could go at least another year without one just because I have plenty to keep me busy on my PS3 and Vita. In short, don't worry about taking your time purchasing a new console. The longer you wait, the more games there will be to play anyway.

#3 Edited by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

nothing wrong with that at all m8, i still game on my ps2 twice as much as my 360 and a hundred times more than my ps4.. imo nothing will ever top the ps2 console far as pure entertainment goes, games were just so much better back then cause so much more heart went into making them.

#4 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Play what you want, whenever you want to. Just keep having fun. Every time I walk into my local retro game shop I just grin from ear to ear. Gaming has a history and I damn well like to play and remember it. Don't be ashamed at all. If anything... be proud.

#5 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

Yes you should be ashamed. Why would anyone want to play 1000's of available games? Nah, I'm good with the handful of games that I can play for my gen 8 machines*. Most of which are ports from last gen.

All joking aside, play what you want. You are not alone. Try to put your insecurities aside and do what makes you happy.

* entering gen 8 in 2016.

#6 Edited by naz99 (1214 posts) -

Buy what you want when you want....i don't get it who cares whether you buy a current gen console now or later???

Either way you have thousands upon thousands of games to play so get stuck in.

#7 Edited by Randolph (10468 posts) -

The last sentence in your post was not something that needs to be posted at all.

On topic, I'd trade my PS4 for a like new NES that is sure to work for many years to come and a big box of games for it. In a heartbeat. (well, I'd also need an old, ugly, blocky, tube TV to play it on… )

#8 Posted by Minishdriveby (9738 posts) -

There's really no reason to make the upgrade right now. Wait a couple years, heck go even further back start collecting SNES games.

#9 Posted by Jacanuk (4219 posts) -

@mdk12345 said:

So right now I have a PS3, Xbox 360, Wii U, and I still play PS2 games on my PS3 60 GB. I also have N64 and SNES and plan to get an NES again. I just have so many games to play that I can't see myself getting a PS4 anytime soon. I just got the PS3 a few months ago. It was my dads but I had no idea he had one all these years and found it, he let me have it. So I have a number of games on PS3, but plan on playing many more games for it. All these years I wasn't really keeping up with the 7th gen. I had this idea that all games were 60 bucks and so I kind of shied away from current gaming. But now I see that so many games can be had for 5 to 10 bucks, and I've got so many of those titles at Gamestop and on Ebay. Furthermore, I just picked up about 30 PS2 games at Gamestop for about a buck each. And they weren't crappy games, they were games that I always had on my wishlist but were about 60 bucks at the time. As a matter of fact, I still play PS1 games on my PS3. There are some good PS1 games that have in fact aged well. Ever heard of Einhander or Apocalypse? Love those games.

So my insecurities come from seeming like a dinosaur, someone who's out of touch. I mean people are starting to call the 360 and PS3 dinosaurs and that right there hit me and made me realize I might not be able to keep up with gaming anymore. Sure, Infamous 2nd son looks good, but I'm saying it may be a while before I'm ready to jump aboard. I have more games right now than I can play, so I don't feel like spending more money. I just got a Wii U. I could have just got a PS4 instead, but figured I was having fun with PS3 and I wanted to play Donkey Kong again more than anything. I don't know what to do.. I have so many systems that I'm going to have to expand my entertainment center. Would it be weird to wait a couple years give or take to get a PS4 or X box one?

No you shouldn´t and at your age there are a ton of other things highschool, graduation, prom, friends, girls you should spend time worrying about anyways :)

#10 Posted by Randolph (10468 posts) -

Oh, and since you mentioned Infamous: Second Son, that game is short and has a painful lack of remotely engaging activities. It's a good one and done game, but their is no need to dwell on that one. Wait a few years and get it dirt cheap. You can beat it quite easily in two days. It gets most of it's acclaim from simply being a decent game on a system that has very little going on for it on the software side at this point in time. If you had asked me after the first few hours I would have said it was great.

But when played for extended periods of time, yikes. Their just isn't enough actual game there. Sure is pretty, though.

#11 Posted by Renouncereality (84 posts) -

Totally fine. Great games (especially ones with good storys) are often still great games years after they release. I don't mind going back and playing games long after their release if there is nothing I wanted out at the time. It can actually be an advantage to pick them up cheap because you may really enjoy a five year old game that you pick up for ten bucks and had a bit of fun with. Whereas if you payed $60 on its release you may have felt ripped off.

Ps. If someone calls the 360 or ps3 dinosaurs then their comments aren't worth reading

#12 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (15916 posts) -

Enjoy all the dirt-cheap games.

Old games don't mean they're not fun. As a PC gamer, I still play some games from the early 90's. I played games on my PS2 until 2011 even though I already have a PS3.

#13 Posted by geniobastardo (1294 posts) -

I used to play Project I.G.I long after the release of PS 3 and Xbox 360. In fact, the last I played it was in 2011 when all of my other fellows were playing the likes of Crysis or Battlefield. You know, in it's own right, it's good to be a dinosaur.

For the main topic, I'd say the same as everybody has said. Do what you want,

#14 Posted by riou7 (10832 posts) -

Meh.. I don't even have any of the current gen consoles and I'm completely fine with that :P I sometimes still even play old games like SNES, GBA, DS, GC games to this day. They're still fun to play and I even enjoyed those games more than I enjoyed most of nowdays games.

#15 Edited by loafofgame (463 posts) -

It's about enjoying what you do, not about keeping up with what's new, although the latter can feel like a compulsory force in certain contexts. I've never owned a console and I'm a couple of years behind with titles that require a beefy rig (at this point I only have access to an ancient pc), but there's still so much to enjoy. Sure, sometimes I feel like I'm missing out, but well, you can't have everything and I'm having a lot of fun regardless.

Anyone who actively makes you feel ashamed about being behind is a very questionable person...

#16 Posted by The_Last_Ride (70659 posts) -

@mdk12345: Games are games, you don't always need the newest ones to be a gamer, and you can never be too far behind. There are many gamers buying retro consoles because they felt games didn't rip you off that much back then. You should not stop gaming just because you like older games. Hell i buy older ps3/360 games all the time. Because i like experiencing the best, it doesn't matter how old it is to me

#17 Posted by Korvus (3206 posts) -

I was playing the original Sonic just yesterday =P Play what you want and what you have fun playing. The only person you need to please is yourself.

#18 Posted by HipHopBeats (2873 posts) -

Nothing wrong with being late to the party. In fact, you save a lot of money catching up on past classics buying GOTY and Ultimate Editions for $20 - $30 with all DLC. Instead of buying into the hype paying $60 plus tax for something that will eventually drop in price. I plan on doing the same with 'next gen' games.

PS3 / 360 is the best way to go right now seeing as there are no real system sellers for either PS4 / X1. Plus you avoid being a Day One guinea pig with the new consoles. Who knows how well these new consoles will hold up a year or two if a year from now with disc errors, LOD's etc.

#19 Posted by gargungulunk (139 posts) -

Being a generation+ behind is rather ideal...massive library, good deals...playing different genres at the same time. I was several years late to the PS3 & I'm still catching up with enjoyment. ...and it gives time for the "current" gen to develop.

The only hard-part is that you're almost on your own if you want to talk about how awesome a game is. (a minor side-note, but jades the after-glow).

It's like a reading a good book, there's a lot to go back to, and a rather individual experience.

#20 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

Why would you care what other people think?

Q: Are you happy?

If youre answer is yes then everyone else can go fornicate themselves with an iron stick. If the answer is no then go buy a ps4 and a year of PS+ and everyone else can go fornicate themselves with an iron stick.

#21 Edited by GameBandit8 (65 posts) -

I still like ea sports titles on playstation 2

#22 Posted by Carl_W21 (2020 posts) -

Of course not, I rarely get games on release dates, most times I'm about a year back, unless I can get a good deal. I only buy titles I know I will play a lot instantly - GTA/Fallout/MGS/FIFA

#23 Posted by MDK12345 (537 posts) -

I can't believe there are so many supporters on here. Now I'm feeling better about being years late to PS3. In fact many people I know with a PS4 are playing PS3/360 more than PS4. But one of my other buddies who always sells his systems once they become last gen simply said, ''Get the real deal. They are innovating, don't live in the past.'' He only watches blockbuster movies, roots for only elite NBA teams & players like the Heat and Thunder, Lebron & Durant, and buys only the newest & most popular games and sneakers at the time. Gloats on facebook that it's all about being a front runner. Hard to convince him there are other ways to live life. I think you guys know what I'm talking about. Gotta just say the hell with front runners.

Yea, maybe it will be funner to get the new stuff once it's more established. PS4 needs to give me more reasons to make the purchase and so far my only legitimate reason is Infamous 2nd Son. Most of the other games I want are already on PS3. Not sure I want to buy the system just for graphic enhancement when PS3 seems to be sufficient enough. Say what you want about PS4 having the better graphics. I'm not denying that, but it seems rather challenging for me to tell the difference when looking side by side, at least for the multi plats. My reason I felt the need to buy was I feel there will be more titles in the future and I was fearing the idea of falling even more behind. But PS4 needs to show me the titles first, I suppose. Is it me or are they just not putting out enough content? And with Xbone, Titanfall is going to be on 360. I really don't see a reason to get an Xbone right now, since Titanfall is on the 360 and I'm not sure I even want it. And I would prefer the box to be smaller, plus based on what I've read, I don't have a lot of respect for the Kinect.

#24 Posted by betamaxx83 (351 posts) -

Your really not missing much unless Battlefield, COD, or Assassins Creed entice you.

#25 Posted by Netret0120 (2032 posts) -

@Namgis said:

Yes you should be ashamed. Why would anyone want to play 1000's of available games? Nah, I'm good with the handful of games that I can play for my gen 8 machines*. Most of which are ports from last gen.

All joking aside, play what you want. You are not alone. Try to put your insecurities aside and do what makes you happy.

* entering gen 8 in 2016.

I am in a similar position as the TC. I have so many franchises that I still need to play such as Mass Effect so I am in absolutely no rush to jump to the PS4 until maybe MGS5/FF15 or GTA6 are around the corner.

#26 Edited by bussinrounds (2030 posts) -

You should be proud for not buying into the hype and being a sheep. And your friend sounds like a total clown.

#27 Posted by CrimsonBrute (23257 posts) -

Not at all. I sometimes dust off the old Sega Genesis and touch any recent consoles for weeks. Be proud of it.

#28 Edited by MWright469 (151 posts) -

The only thing you should be ashamed of is living by other people's standards and actually giving a fuck whether or not you're "Behind the times". If you enjoy the games, new or old, then just enjoy them. You shouldn't feel bad about whether or not you need to catch up. Gaming is about relaxation, fun, and imagination. The moment you start giving a fuck about anything else, you'll head down the endless road of trying to make other people happy. Enjoy your games, whichever ones you want. Cheers!

#29 Posted by one_plum (6345 posts) -

The only thing you should be ashamed of is living by other people's standards and actually giving a fuck whether or not you're "Behind the times". If you enjoy the games, new or old, then just enjoy them. You shouldn't feel bad about whether or not you need to catch up. Gaming is about relaxation, fun, and imagination. The moment you start giving a fuck about anything else, you'll head down the endless road of trying to make other people happy. Enjoy your games, whichever ones you want. Cheers!

/thread

#30 Posted by Namgis (3572 posts) -

@Netret0120: I'm sticking with gen 7 for quite a while. That's just for the games that are already out. Over the next couple of years I expect more games that interest me also. By the time I'm ready to get into the current gen, I'll be able to pick up the console and probably 4-5 games for the price of the machine today. It's good to be behind the times, you get to save a lot of money and there is ample selection of titles.

#31 Posted by Netret0120 (2032 posts) -

@Namgis said:

@Netret0120: I'm sticking with gen 7 for quite a while. That's just for the games that are already out. Over the next couple of years I expect more games that interest me also. By the time I'm ready to get into the current gen, I'll be able to pick up the console and probably 4-5 games for the price of the machine today. It's good to be behind the times, you get to save a lot of money and there is ample selection of titles.

@one_plum said:

@mwright469 said:

/thread

/Thread indeed. Couldn't have said it better myself:)

#32 Posted by Dannystaples14 (946 posts) -

@mdk12345: I personally thought the last generation was flat and largely crap in terms of gaming to be honest. A lot of good games but many of them just fell short for me on a lot of levels. To the point where I seriously doubt I will ever even attempt to play most of them again.

#33 Posted by thereal25 (358 posts) -

Nothing to be ashamed of at all. But I might just say that a possible downside would be that it might be harder to talk with others about your experiences.

And I'm also of the opinion that newer = better as a general rule of thumb - for obvious reasons.

#34 Posted by toshineon (19 posts) -

Definitely not. I still play games on SNES, Neo-Geo and N64 frequently, to name a few. It's better to make sure you experience everything a system has to offer, than to leave it behind just to be first with the newest systems. The only downside would be the community, there's no one to talk to about your favorite old games or stuff like that. But if you have friends that also play older games, that's less of a problem.

#35 Posted by Ariabed (1102 posts) -

There's no rush to break into the next gen there's not much goin on right now anyway, it's probably more sensible to wait and let games/consoles get cheaper anyway, like you said you can get good quality games for next to nothing, and you will have the same experience and enjoyment playing these games as someone who rushed out and payed full wack for these games as soon as they came out.

#36 Posted by Ryagan (484 posts) -

Nope! Nothing wrong with that! I'm the same way. I just barely bought a PS3, and I mostly play my GameCube and PS2. Older games are just more appealing to me.

#37 Edited by nicecall (428 posts) -

i play a lot of older gen games on pc, ps2, mostly 1990 - 2008, so its doesnt matter... play whats good or whatever you have been planning to but holding off on. I just finished playing Baldurs Gate Dark Alliance on gamecube a few days ago... kinda a cheap game but it killed some time.

I got a pretty big list of random old games to get to from all over the place. Mostly early 2000 to 2010 in that range. A few new ones also.. im not really sure how they keep releasing games so fast i cannot keep up and i only play a small fraction of games that come out.

Problem i have is if i find a really good game ill spend a lot of time with it and that leaves less time for games i havent played yet... I can't tell you how many hrs I've spent on Civ 3 and Civ 5... infinity?