Should games push beyond 60FPS

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChrisMcnugget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 ChrisMcnugget
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

Super Bunny Hop made a great video about the value of going beyond 60FPS and I wanted to share it with you guys

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCbTRSv9sQ8&list=UUWqr2tH3dPshNhPjV5h1xRw

So like I asked should games push beyond 60FPS?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#2 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

As long as the framerate is smooth, I don't care if it's 30, 60, or 150.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

User Lists: 0

#3 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts
@mastermetal777 said:

Watch the video anyway, it's very informative

Gangsta8d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Gangsta8d9
Member since 2003 • 50 Posts

i wonder if cloud computing can somehow help with frame dependant game logic for users with monitors that support higher refresh rates.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

#5  Edited By The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

the human eye can't tell the difference beyond 60fps. So no, they shouldn't when they could rather push the games content

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

not until display tech catches up.

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

the human eye can't tell the difference beyond 60fps. So no, they shouldn't when they could rather push the games content

I remember when they said the same thing about 30fps. I don't disagree with you though.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 kakamoura
Member since 2014 • 222 Posts

@mastermetal777 said:

How can 30 fps be smooth dude?

That's like a contradiction within itself.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By kakamoura
@The_Last_Ride said:

The human eye can discern 60fps from 120fps as long as you have a 120Hz monitor.

Unless my eyes are not human. I'd like to add that the difference isn't limited to our eyes, you can feel it in the response of your actions too, especially in faster and competitive games.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#10  Edited By Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

im pretty happy with 60 fps usually in games. Some games though have some delay or laggy movement even if its 60 fps so those i usually unlock and let the fps go up higher despite maybe some screen tearing.

You got these 120hz and 144hz monitors out, so i guess people with those try to push their fps to match those, but its gotta be hard to do with any modern game even if only running 1080p. All the graphics card power in the world can't help you if a games poorly built and even a highend cpu is bottlenecking any chance of hitting high framerates from bad game design.

I wonder how gsync works for people with fps that jump around 60-120fps, im hoping it can handle screen tearing but i have no sync monitor yet to see it for myself. Most games won't be optimized to run beyond 60fps thanks to the terrible consoles that are out... so we'll have to be happy with 60fps for a long while longer cause half the games this gen can't even run 30fps on the consoles.

also i disagree with people saying human eye can only notice 60 fps. If i unlock fps in a game beyond 60fps it looks and handles a lot smoother usually, so that just isnt true. Also people with 120hz monitors will tell you the same thing.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#11  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

haha. no.

Maybe you should check out the video first and educate yourself on 120 and 144hz monitors.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 mastermetal777

@kakamoura: no it's not. If it runs without it getting choppy, it's smooth. Doesn't matter what the number is.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 kakamoura

@mastermetal777 said:

@kakamoura: no it's not. If it runs without it getting choppy, it's smooth. Doesn't matter what the number is.

By your logic, having 2 fps can be considered a silky smooth experience.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mastermetal777

@kakamoura: Any number that's 30 and above I consider good. I will never understand this incessant need to get rid of 30 FPS when 1) it's been standard for a long time, and 2) it's a great framerate for games to run on.

I_Return

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 I_Return
Member since 2014 • 873 Posts

It is one of those cases where the higher is better. But, we don't have the necessary hardware at consumer level yet, so right now, it's still a no go.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

nice video

Avatar image for harry_james_pot
harry_james_pot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#17 harry_james_pot  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 11414 Posts

@The_Last_Ride said:

Yes it can. The difference between 60 and 120 is easily noticeable.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Yes.

At 60, there is a chance it can drop below. At 120+, there is a significantly less chance it will ever drop to 60 at all. PC gaming already pushes well beyond 60, and lets the player decide their ideal framerate. I'm not sure why 30fps is even acceptable on consoles this generation. I guess maybe because games last gen were barely achieving 720p30, that 1080p30 seems "good enough".

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#19  Edited By turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I really couldn't care less about frame rate, as long as it's not distracting. Translated: I'm totally fine with 30 FPS as it is.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 kakamoura

@mastermetal777 said:

@kakamoura: Any number that's 30 and above I consider good. I will never understand this incessant need to get rid of 30 FPS when 1) it's been standard for a long time, and 2) it's a great framerate for games to run on.

60 fps has been the standard for PC games for a long time and the statement that 30 fps is a great framerate for games tells me you haven't really played at 60 fps much.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 kakamoura
@Jacanuk said:

More bad youtube videos from people who think their opinion matters one bit.

Anyways no games should no force or push beyond 60fps they should not even concern themselves one bit as long its not going below 30fps.

They should and they are already pushing for 120Hz standard, especially for fast paces games.

Why are people so adamant at impeaching progress and fine with outdated standards?

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mastermetal777

@kakamoura: I have played games at 60 fps. I still stand by what I said. If you don't like what I'm saying, I don't know what to tell you. For me, it just depends on the game.

kakamoura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kakamoura

@xiaofei12 said:

the human eye can't tell the difference beyond 60fps. FIFA Coins kaufen So no, they shouldn't when they could rather push the games content.

"the human eye can't tell the difference beyond 60 fps"

LOL

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

It's like anything else when it comes to biology - it depends on the person. You can find articles on the net about it and they'll talk about tests with fighter pilots discerning single frames at a rate of over 200fps. And just like everything else with biology, the current average with respect to what the average person can discern would likely increase over time as people got used to viewing higher fps. We're not robots. Our bodies improve. There's no reason to not continually push the envelope except with consideration to what the current market will bear.

As far as consoles, last gen technology was limited because you still had so many people that had yet to make the change to HD when they launched...60fps would be lost on that market, just like 120 would be lost on the current market. No point making your consoles more expensive catering to a standard only a select audience would enjoy.

numbes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#27 numbes
Member since 2012 • 44 Posts

@Ish_basic said:

It's like anything else when it comes to biology - it depends on the person. You can find articles on the net about it and they'll talk about tests with fighter pilots discerning single frames at a rate of over 200fps. And just like everything else with biology, the current average with respect to what the average person can discern would likely increase over time as people got used to viewing higher fps. We're not robots. Our bodies improve. There's no reason to not continually push the envelope except with consideration to what the current market will bear.

As far as consoles, last gen technology was limited because you still had so many people that had yet to make the change to HD when they launched...60fps would be lost on that market, just like 120 would be lost on the current market. No point making your consoles more expensive catering to a standard only a select audience would enjoy.

60 fps would never have been lost on the market tvs have ran at 50 or 60 hz pretty much since there inception the move to 120hz lcd monitorz of late is just getting back on par with what crt was doing 20 years ago

MondasM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 MondasM
Member since 2008 • 1897 Posts

@numbes:

actually why the crt sets were using 50 and 60 hz was due to the european (metric???) and imperial ac electricity specs, which are alternating with 50 hz and 60 hz respectively, which in turn were translated into pal and ntsc standards...

YukoAsho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 YukoAsho
Member since 2004 • 3737 Posts

Depends. How many TVs support 120hz? How many mid-range computer monitors do the same?

Is enough of the market going to even see the difference, let alone enjoy it enough to tolerate the reduction in graphical fidelity that would of course follow? And what, if anything, would it actually bring to the table that isn't brought by 60FPS? Doing things just to do them leads to the Wii U. Gotta have a need for it in the market beyond tech fetishists.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@YukoAsho said:

Depends. How many TVs support 120hz? How many mid-range computer monitors do the same?

Is enough of the market going to even see the difference, let alone enjoy it enough to tolerate the reduction in graphical fidelity that would of course follow? And what, if anything, would it actually bring to the table that isn't brought by 60FPS? Doing things just to do them leads to the Wii U. Gotta have a need for it in the market beyond tech fetishists.

There is no reduction in graphical fidelity. The difference between 60 fps and 120 fps is in feel.