Selling old games/consoles to a Pawn Shop?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 0

#1 NicAgent
Member since 2005 • 4693 Posts
I'm not poor or anything so I wouldn't go through the whole pawn shop system, but how much you think I would get for an old N64 or GameCube with its games if sold at one?
mijahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 mijahi
Member since 2009 • 895 Posts

I can't vouch for every pawn shop...but I actually bought my Gamecube at a local pawn shop. And I only paid $25. And knowing how pawn shops do business, you might be lucky to get $10 for it. And the games will vary depending on the title...most likely .50 to a few bucks (unless you have a rare title). And I don't know about the N64, but I know they are going for around $30 used (w/o the expansion pak) and $35-$40 w/ the pak. And again, games will depend on the rarity of the titles. But I'd assume the same trade-in pricing as the GC games.

Again, all pawn shops probably run things differently, but maybe this will help with approximating your trade-in value. Of course, you could always get a better price if you try to sell them yourself on, say, Ebay or Craigslist. I'm actually in the market for a N64 w/ the expansion pak, so if you list it somewhere, send me a PM and let me know. Hope this helps.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 NicAgent
Yeah that sounds about right... might need to get rid of a lot of stuff I guess it might be useful to sell some things to one but you're right it would be much more brain-savvy to use eBay (but not Craigslist due to its rep).
wagepeace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 wagepeace
Member since 2007 • 885 Posts

Another option is to sell them to a game store that sells both vintage and modern games. Assuming you have a more recent console, you could get some store credit to use toward newer items. That's usually the route that I prefer to go, unless I know the games will make a healthy profit. Sure they may "rip you off," but you have to realize that your gear isn't worth what it used to be.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 NicAgent
Yeah... always helps to trade it in before a major obsolescence threshold, I'm thinking. The Nintendo GameCube before the Wii's launch in November 2006 is an example.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I think they should make pawn shops specialized in videogames and call them "pwned" shops
billyd5301

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 billyd5301
Member since 2008 • 1572 Posts
Yeah pawn shop is about the worst of all the options out there. They don't specialize in video games and have no clue what they are even looking at. They are going to give you one generic price wheather you are giving them Deja Vu, or Legend of Zelda.
gameguy6700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 gameguy6700
Member since 2004 • 12197 Posts

A pawn shop is the worst place to sell your games (and really just about anything, but especially games). They specialize in phyiscal goods like jewelry and generic items like TVs, not software and high electronics, so they're going to rip off you by a sickening amount since they have no idea what any of the stuff you want to trade in is worth.

Pawn shops are a great place to buy old games (when they have them) because they practically give them away no matter how rare the game is. However, the only time you should actually sell something to a pawn shop is when you've stolen it and need to get the heat off your hands before the po-po catch you dirty.

Mtngranek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#9 Mtngranek
Member since 2009 • 403 Posts

A pawn shop is the worst place to sell your games (and really just about anything, but especially games). They specialize in phyiscal goods like jewelry and generic items like TVs, not software and high electronics, so they're going to rip off you by a sickening amount since they have no idea what any of the stuff you want to trade in is worth.

Pawn shops are a great place to buy old games (when they have them) because they practically give them away no matter how rare the game is. However, the only time you should actually sell something to a pawn shop is when you've stolen it and need to get the heat off your hands before the po-po catch you dirty.

gameguy6700

I'm gonna say that this person has it down to the letter. Nicely put...

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NicAgent
Yeah... Pawn Shops I figured wouldn't know anything... but yeah I should maybe look into buying there rather than selling - thing is, you think you could find any current-generation games there, say Hour of Victory for Xbox 360?
Kenbo325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11 Kenbo325
Member since 2009 • 1177 Posts
Try your local classifieds instead.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

I hate Pawn shops. They treat people like crackheads.:lol:

Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#13 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23286 Posts

The only times I´ve gone to pawnshops was in Shenmue 2 to sell capsule toys...

PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#14 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Be careful when selling to retro gameshops. My local shop gives little money for the old (sometimes even rare) games and consoles they trade in. And with some smalltalk they often get away with it.

If you're going to sell it for a few bucks you might aswell keep it, make you you won't regret it.

sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts

People will most probarbly pay you atleast 50% more than what you will get at a pawn shop on Ebay.

Thought... you could hit dumb luck and have a good paying pawn shop but I doubt it.

Ive spent years dealing video games and I know my way around buying and selling them.

kitchenwindow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#16 kitchenwindow
Member since 2009 • 238 Posts

Ebay would be your best bet. Pawn shops are rip offs, they'll buy something from you for about 4-5 bucks then they'll sell it for 30 or more.

NicAgent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 NicAgent
Yeah I mean Pawn Shops as far as I know are designed for the lower-class citizen who will likely need to sell items to be able to pay his bills, knowing he'll come back to try and buy them later.
sonic0491

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 sonic0491
Member since 2006 • 2508 Posts
Yeah I mean Pawn Shops as far as I know are designed for the lower-class citizen who will likely need to sell items to be able to pay his bills, knowing he'll come back to try and buy them later.NicAgent
that was a really good definition of what they must base they're business on.
mijahi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 mijahi
Member since 2009 • 895 Posts
Yeah I mean Pawn Shops as far as I know are designed for the lower-class citizen who will likely need to sell items to be able to pay his bills, knowing he'll come back to try and buy them later.NicAgent
[QUOTE="NicAgent"]Yeah I mean Pawn Shops as far as I know are designed for the lower-class citizen who will likely need to sell items to be able to pay his bills, knowing he'll come back to try and buy them later.sonic0491
that was a really good definition of what they must base they're business on.

Hmmm....I'd save the 'class' opinions for someplace else, friends.
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#20 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

pawn is the best place to buy but worst place to sell ,

Desulated

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#21 Desulated
Member since 2005 • 30952 Posts

If it's a successful, old school console and games, I wouldn't sell them. I nearly sold Advance Wars to Gamestop until I found out they were taking it off my hands for 10 dollars yet they resold it for like....30 (without box or manual).

Not only that, if you're lucky, it may go up in value in the collector's eyes. Who knows.