SEGA's massive influence over Sony's PS1

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Lucianu (9525 posts) -

Old but a nice little history lesson that i read a couple of months ago.

If it wasnt for Virtua Fighter, the PlayStation probably would have had a completely different hardware conceptRyoji_Akagawa

Former Sony Computer Entertainment chairman Shigeo Maruyama explained that Sony employees visited other game companies to see how 3-D graphics could be presented, as no one inside Sony besides father of the PlayStation Ken Kutaragi really understood it.

"Personally, I had no idea of the specifics concerning what PlayStation games could do", Maruyama said. "I was giving presentations on it without knowing much about it."

Around that time, Segas revolutionary arcade game Virtua Fighter became a huge hit in Japan, wowing arcade crowds with its early use of polygonal graphics to produce a game in the popular one-on-one fighting genre.

"Once Virtua Fighter was out, the direction of the PlayStation became instantly clear", said Maruyama.

Had Virtua Fighter not been released, Sony might have saddled PlayStation without the capability to render high-end 3-D graphics, which would have put it well behind the technology curve compared to the Saturn and Nintendo 64.

"With great timing, Sega saved our hides", Maruyama said.article

#2 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

I thought the hype about 3D games and consoles started when Starfox was released?

#3 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

I thought the hype about 3D games and consoles started when Starfox was released?

Stefan91x
there were 3D games before Starfox too, some impressive ones on the home computers especially however Virtua Racing and Virtua Fighter, showed that 3D could be just as fun as 2D games, and run well enough to match the 2D games in performance (even if visually, they were very basic) if you compare the frame rates of Starfox or earlier 3D games, to Virtua Racing or VF, there is no comparison, and thats the key difference.
#4 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Yea, Sega had the best arcade tech at the time.

Altho they weren't the first to do 3D polygon graphics.

Atari's Hard Drivin' and Namco's Winning Run were released before Sega's Virtua Racing and iRobot was the first 3D polygon game dating back to '83.

And Namco's System 11 was basically a PlayStation which allowed for almost perfect arcade ports of Ridge Racer, Tekken, Soul Blade, ect.

#5 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

Atari's Hard Drivin' and Namco's Winning Run were released before Sega's Virtua Racing and iRobot was the first 3D polygon game dating back to '83.

And Namco's System 11 was basically a PlayStation which allowed for almost perfect arcade ports of Ridge Racer, Tekken, Soul Blade, ect.

nameless12345
Ridge Racer was on Namco's System 22 , not 11. System 22 was a more powerful board that was arguably Namco's answer to the model 2.
#6 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

Virtua racing? Starfox?

pfftt... this was a beast of a polygon pushing game on home systems and it was launched two years before starfox :P

#7 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Darkman2007

Ridge Racer was on Namco's System 22 , not 11. System 22 was a more powerful board that was arguably Namco's answer to the model 2.

Model 2 was better because of the FPUs ("floating point units", i.e. 3D acceleration co-processors).

#8 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

Virtua racing? Starfox?

pfftt... this was a beast of a polygon pushing game on home systems and it was launched two years before starfox :P

rilpas
Vette is more impressive :P
#9 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

Model 2 was better because of the FPUs ("floating point units", i.e. 3D acceleration co-processors).

thats true, but System 22 was still more capable than the PS1 was , or system 12
#10 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Virtua racing? Starfox?

Darkman2007

that was the one with the free roaming city, right?

#11 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

Virtua racing? Starfox?

rilpas

yes, very impressive game for the time.
#12 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] Vette is more impressive :PDarkman2007

yes, very impressive game for the time.

I never played it, but I saw LGR's review.

the game looks very impressive for it's time

#13 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

Darkman, do you work in the gaming industry? I'm wondering because you know some crazy techinical stuff that the normal fan doesn't know.

#14 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

Darkman, do you work in the gaming industry? I'm wondering because you know some crazy techinical stuff that the normal fan doesn't know.

Emerald_Warrior
nope, the furthest I got was one year at computer science at university, after which I realised it wasn't for me. that and the fact that my father is a computer engineer (not exactly, it was more specific, but you get the idea), so I learnt a few tech stuff when I was young although I don't think of myself as particularly knowledgable or smart even.
#15 Posted by Talldude80 (6321 posts) -

Virtua racing? Starfox?

rilpas

Yeah I actually downloaded that game again a few months back. Such a fun game! I love some of the "gliches" when you crash. I think one time I was probably 1,000feet in the air for something like a minute before the car came down. Creating your own tracks is really fun too! I wish they'd remake it in HD and include multiplayer.

#16 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Virtua racing? Starfox?

Talldude80

Yeah I actually downloaded that game again a few months back. Such a fun game! I love some of the "gliches" when you crash. I think one time I was probably 1,000feet in the air for something like a minute before the car came down. Creating your own tracks is really fun too! I wish they'd remake it in HD and include multiplayer.

Reminds me of Hard Driving. Which came out before that even, in 1988.

#17 Posted by rilpas (8222 posts) -

[QUOTE="Talldude80"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

Virtua racing? Starfox?

Emerald_Warrior

Reminds me of Hard Driving. Which came out before that even, in 1988.

yeah but that was an arcade game, this was for home computers :P

#18 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Flight sims were also pretty "cutting-edge" back then:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1H9BEyHmq_I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYEWANo7GdM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zv_8fLUj9eU

Actually I think they were the first home computer games to make use of 3D polygon graphics.

#19 Posted by armouredpriest (471 posts) -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmvWxG2zvs8&feature=related

and then there's this game from 1983

#20 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

Stefan91x

the arcades started the 3d hype, all thanks to virtua fighter, virtua racing, daytona usa etc. those games actually looked awesome, where as star fox looked like average on the 3d graphcs department, nothing that couldn't be found on pc or even amiga at the time. the arcades have always started video gaming trends until late 90s

#21 Posted by bultje112 (1867 posts) -

Virtua racing? Starfox?

rilpas

HOLY **** that's some huge nostalgia for me!! I didn't even thnk about this game for past 15 years. thanks!! that was one of the games back on pc!

#22 Posted by Stefan91x (256 posts) -

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

bultje112

the arcades started the 3d hype, all thanks to virtua fighter, virtua racing, daytona usa etc. those games actually looked awesome, where as star fox looked like average on the 3d graphcs department, nothing that couldn't be found on pc or even amiga at the time. the arcades have always started video gaming trends until late 90s

I don't disagree, but wasn't Starfox/Starwing the first 3D game that worked very well on a console at the time? I can think of it showed many developers how 3D is playable even on a weak console (compared to arcade machines).

#23 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="bultje112"]

[QUOTE="Stefan91x"]

Stefan91x

I don't disagree, but wasn't Starfox/Starwing the first 3D game that worked very well on a console at the time? I can think of it showed many developers how 3D is playable even on a weak console (compared to arcade machines).

well, there were polygon games on consoles before (mainly the Mega Drive) , but its arguable Starfox was the first popular and exclusive 3D console game, as opposed to the older stuff which was usually on different , or better platforms.
#24 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

Star Fox also made "3D accelerators" viable (i.e. the Super FX chip).

Interestingly, Texas Instruments wanted to convince Sega and Nintendo in the late 80s to make their next consoles (i.e. Genesis and SNES) 3D polygon oriented instead of 2D graphics oriented and use their graphics chips but the deal fell in water.

Would have been interesting to see how things would be if they really would be 3D focused (altho the Super FX in Star Fox and other supported games and SVP in Virtua Racing for Genesis gave a glimpse of 3D on these systems).