Schizoid Details! (First XNA Game)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

IGN has a preview of Schizoid, the first game to be released that was built using MS's XNA game development tools.

"As we said, the premise to Schizoid is simple. There are two good guys on the screen at all times. One blue and one red. Blue can only go after the blue bad guys, and the red can only destroy the red. Try and mix colors and your character will blow up instantly. That underlying gameplay mechanic, while it might sound overly simplistic, is what really drives Schizoid forward and, Torpex hopes, ahead of the rest of the XBLA crowd. As you'd expect there are several different enemy types that float around the game space. Some are just mindless blobs that move at random whereas others are fully aware of their color and who they should attack. Other baddies lay eggs which hatch and then evolve, and new enemies continue to pop up as you advance through the more than 100 levels of sheer madness.

While the initial single-player offering that has the AI controlling the red player is fun in its own right, the real mind bending mode is unlocked once you complete the seventh stage. It's called Uberschizoid, and it will have blood shooting out of your ears in no time at all. The left stick controls the blue, the right controls the red, and you'll have to maneuver both in conjunction with one another. Needless to say things get fast and furious in no time and we can honestly say that we've never played a game that forces players to use their brain in the way that Schizoid does. Having to keep track of both characters as they move around some of the larger levels, trying to avoid opposite colored enemies along the way is extraordinarily challenging, but once you get the hang of the dynamic and get both moving in harmony things becomes very enjoyable, though still frenetic."

I'm a sucker for XBLA/PSN games, so I'm excited to check this out.

****I tried to post a screen of the game, but I'm getting HTML errors. I use the whole [blahblah]blahblah.com[/blahblah] format for my pics and links, and it causes trouble, if there is a better way to do it, I'd love to know.****

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts
I just watched the video, it looks like it could be fun. Thanks guy.
CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
I suck at maze games so Schizoid is probably beyond me, but it looks fun.
Dutch_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 Dutch_Mix
Member since 2005 • 29266 Posts

"the left stick controls the blue, the right controls the red, and you'll have to maneuver both in conjunction with one another."

Oh, man, I can't wait to try that.

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts

One of the images from IGN's Website-

_Bear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 _Bear
Member since 2002 • 18760 Posts

Brain3000

It looks like you will befighting electronic Lobsters !:shock:

Arborescence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Arborescence
Member since 2007 • 273 Posts
[QUOTE="Brain3000"]

_Bear

It looks like you will befighting electronic Lobsters !:shock:

Crawfish dude, Crawfish :lol:

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts
Hmm sounds like it could be fun although I really don't want blood shooting out of my ears, that could be messy. :P
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts
I want this game. But I'm too lazy to read the preview. :PWhen is it out? Multiplayer?