Samurai Shodown Anthology impressions, version difference, info

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

A classic collection that all fighting and SS fans must-have!

Samurai Shodown Anthology ScreenshotSamurai Shodown Anthology Screenshot

I have both the PS2 and PSP versions. Here are some info for them:

• Both don't have V Special. I know, sucks.
  • PSP version has a few slow downs in SSV and VI, but they're not gamebreaking or unplayable. It still runs well for a handheld. SSVI runs surprisingly well.
  • Also, loading times is there only for SSV and VI, but it's not too bad. SSV has the worst loading. SSVI is only bad in the beginning, but afterwards, it's fine.
  • Also, SSVI on the PSP doesn't support widescreen. It runs only on 4:3 but it's still good. The others support the PSP WS.
  • The PSP version has much sharper resolutions.
  • The PS2 version is smoother but looks blurry without component cables.

Overall, the PS2 version is obviously better for smoother play, shorter loading times, widescreen support for all games, and most of all, the price. BUT if you love portable games and want Samurai Shodown in the palm of your hands, the PSP version is great also.

For me, I love handheld games so the PSP version is better for me.

They're both worth it if you're a SS fan.

PSP: $29.99

PS2: only $14.99!!!

Wii: TBA

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee322a396e26
deactivated-5ee322a396e26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5ee322a396e26
Member since 2005 • 2510 Posts

i ordered preordered this for ps2a while back but haven't gotten it yet, looks pretty sweet, not sure why anyone would pay $30 for the psp version honestly.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts
VI is Tenkaichi Kenkyakuden, right? I preordered it ages ago from Amazon, but still waiting. Hopefully it arrives today.
Magnol49

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 Magnol49
Member since 2007 • 459 Posts

My Amazon pre-order shipped out yesterday apparently. Still can't believe it was only $15.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

VI is Tenkaichi Kenkyakuden, right? I preordered it ages ago from Amazon, but still waiting. Hopefully it arrives today.DarkCatalyst

Yes. I also have the import but the US version is better. All the characters are unlocked so you don't have to go through the trouble unlocking them, which is great because SNK Playmore final bosses are always cheap and almost impossible to beat even on easy. Also, it's finally translated, but it really isn't much of an improvement because the localization is terrible.

Overall, it's a great collection. You can't go wrong wih the price. It just sucks Samurai Shodown V Special isn't included even though it as advertised as 7 games in one. But if you check out the game again on Best Buy they changed it to 6 games in one. Bummer.

I wonder why SNK Playmore dropped V Special? Makes no sense.

DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]VI is Tenkaichi Kenkyakuden, right? I preordered it ages ago from Amazon, but still waiting. Hopefully it arrives today.ASK_Story

Yes. I also have the import but the US version is better. All the characters are unlocked so you don't have to go through the trouble unlocking them, which is great because SNK Playmore final bosses are always cheap and almost impossible to beat even on easy. Also, it's finally translated, but it really isn't much of an improvement because the localization is terrible.

Overall, it's a great collection. You can't go wrong wih the price. It just sucks Samurai Shodown V Special isn't included even though it as advertised as 7 games in one. But if you check out the game again on Best Buy they changed it to 6 games in one. Bummer.

Not the first time either. Special was supposed to be part of the Xbox SSV package.
Shinobi120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Shinobi120
Member since 2004 • 5728 Posts

[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"]VI is Tenkaichi Kenkyakuden, right? I preordered it ages ago from Amazon, but still waiting. Hopefully it arrives today.ASK_Story

I think the reason that Samurai Shodown 5 Special (Samurai Spirits Zero Special) was canned from this collection, just like the 5/5 Sp combo pack, was because the uncensored SSVS (SS0S) violence would hit M rated material.