Sam Raimi to direct The Last of Us

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

It seems to be rolling forward with going to the big screen, with Sam Raimi at the helm. Sam Raimi is best known for the original Spiderman trilogy and is working on the World of Warcraft movie.

Link

"Our partnership with Sam Raimi, Ghost House Pictures, and Screen Gems to develop a film based on The Last of Us universe is a perfect fit," said Wells in a statement. "Since our game released last June, we've talked with many companies about making a film, but we couldn't have found better partners who share our creative vision and high standards. We look forward to collaborating with Sam, his team, and Screen Gems, to make a movie that will thrill fans of The Last of Us and general audiences worldwide."

#2 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18780 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride said:

Sam Raimi is best known for the original Spiderman trilogy and is working on the World of Warcraft movie.

O_O ...my heart skipped a beat. Sam Raimi is best known for The Evil Dead. Screw the Spiderman movies.

#3 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00 said:

@The_Last_Ride said:

Sam Raimi is best known for the original Spiderman trilogy and is working on the World of Warcraft movie.

O_O ...my heart skipped a beat. Sam Raimi is best known for The Evil Dead. Screw the Spiderman movies.

Not everyone has seen those movies :P

#4 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

Stupid.

#5 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15171 posts) -

Ted Raimi to star as Joel ? :o

#6 Posted by Sefrix (922 posts) -

I'm way to conflicted about having this be a movie at all to decide if this is even a good thing or not.

#7 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

great.

now there's even more incentive for games to have an abundance of "cinematic presentation" coupled with low-quality, handholding and dumbing-down.

#8 Posted by Namgis (3591 posts) -

So we've gone from TLoU being a stand alone IP. To it maybe getting a sequel. To a sequel definitely in the plans. Now a feature film. A tidy way to dilute your product.

As for Raimi, they could have done worse. Will wait till it hits the bins most likely.

#9 Posted by coasterguy65 (6116 posts) -

oh good...another video game turned into a movie..I bet this one will be good....sheesh.

#10 Posted by Pffrbt (6589 posts) -

Oh god I hope he makes it campy as shit.

#11 Posted by dvader654 (44751 posts) -

Who is Bruce Campbell going to play?

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@Sefrix said:

I'm way to conflicted about having this be a movie at all to decide if this is even a good thing or not.

i have to agree, why are they even considering this?

#13 Posted by Minishdriveby (10215 posts) -

Huh? So it's going to be a comedy horror?

#14 Posted by lumzi32 (369 posts) -

I think that at his best Sam Raimi is a great director (I really like Spidey 2). I think that he a good choice for this. I haven't played the game but from what I have seen of it, in terms of style, he could likely pull it off.

#15 Posted by Netret0120 (2255 posts) -

Love the game but Games turned movie usually suck ass. It is a GAME.

#16 Posted by Sefrix (922 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

@Sefrix said:

$$$$ ;)

#17 Posted by Gargus (2147 posts) -

That's a shame.

1) Id rather see sam go do something he creates, that's what he is best at. Drag me to hell was his last good movie.

2) I don't think he is the right choice. His style is a little to kinetic for what the last of us really is. It needs someone who can bring out the emotional side of the game more so. Given how dark it was Id love to have seen david fincher direct it. I think he would have done a better job at conveying the emotion of it, and his ways of displaying violence tend to leave more of an impact on the viewer. Although it might be too action oriented for him.

Im torn. Part of me wants this, the other part doesn't want it.

#18 Edited by Jared_Bodner (10 posts) -

@dvader654 said:

Who is Bruce Campbell going to play?

90% chance Bruce Campbell is cast as Bill :D

#19 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15171 posts) -

@ Netret0120

True, but the game consists of many dull and tedious moments plus its primary narrative is cutscenes so if the movie sucks, Blame the sauce !

#20 Edited by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

Hmmm...I am kind of indifferent about video game movies. Sure, a lot of them are bad movies, but that doesn't affect my enjoyment of the game.

#21 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@Sefrix said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@Sefrix said:

$$$$ ;)

But it's a big risk, you never know with games made to movies. IT's not a safe bet

#22 Posted by contracts420 (1956 posts) -

Everything I have read about this says that Sam Raimi is only a producer, not the director. Next of all the script for the film is being written by Neil Druckmann (Creative Director/Writer for TLOU) and will also be produced by Neil, Bruce Straley (Game Director of TLOU), Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra. So it sounds like it will be in good hands.

Looking forward to this. I hope it acts as a sequel to TLOU with Ellie all grown up and being played by Ashley Johnson. Would really bridge the gap between game and film and be the first of its kind.

#23 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@contracts420 said:

Everything I have read about this says that Sam Raimi is only a producer, not the director. Next of all the script for the film is being written by Neil Druckmann (Creative Director/Writer for TLOU) and will also be produced by Neil, Bruce Straley (Game Director of TLOU), Evan Wells and Christophe Balestra. So it sounds like it will be in good hands.

Looking forward to this. I hope it acts as a sequel to TLOU with Ellie all grown up and being played by Ashley Johnson. Would really bridge the gap between game and film and be the first of its kind.

yeah that was a typo. He is producing

#24 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15171 posts) -

Uhm... Just one thing, don't movies take forever to make ? We may not even see this movie for 3 years minimum and I bet this movie will fall into Limbo just like many others.

#25 Posted by Planeforger (15931 posts) -

I'd watch it if Bruce Campbell plays Joel.

#26 Posted by foxhound_fox (89789 posts) -

Best known for Spider-Man?

EVIL FUCKING DEAD AND ARMY OF FUCKING DARKNESS MUCH?

Bruce Campbell will need a starring role.

#27 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Uhm... Just one thing, don't movies take forever to make ? We may not even see this movie for 3 years minimum and I bet this movie will fall into Limbo just like many others.

It might, it might. We just have to wait and see

#28 Posted by Namgis (3591 posts) -
@The_Last_Ride said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

My bet is the film release will coincide with release of the sequel. It'll be a tie in. Since ND is making UC4 atm, @Lulu_Lulu's time frame seems accurate. Unless Sony fast tracks production.

#29 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@Namgis said:
@The_Last_Ride said:

@Lulu_Lulu said:

My bet is the film release will coincide with release of the sequel. It'll be a tie in. Since ND is making UC4 atm, @Lulu_Lulu's time frame seems accurate. Unless Sony fast tracks production.

i doubt it, they don't even have a cast an UC is a 2015 release

#30 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15171 posts) -

You know what would be cool. If whoe ever is directing doesn't get his hands tied by the game's creators. If the director get creative freedom it would piss off a bunch of gamers but will ultimately make it a better movie.

#31 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

You know what would be cool. If whoe ever is directing doesn't get his hands tied by the game's creators. If the director get creative freedom it would piss off a bunch of gamers but will ultimately make it a better movie.

No, just look at almost every game made to movie where that happend. No, freaking no! Let the creators have a say in it and let them ultimately screw it up. It's been too many times that has happend and i would not let them do it. Hell look at Resident Evil. It has almost nothing to do with the games anymore. The first had at least references

#32 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride:

you know what got me laughing yesterday? firing up my 360 and watching the lego hobbit game clip and realizing that it will be a game based off a movie that is supposed to be based on a book, but, isn't.

#33 Edited by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@The_Last_Ride:

you know what got me laughing yesterday? firing up my 360 and watching the lego hobbit game clip and realizing that it will be a game based off a movie that is supposed to be based on a book, but, isn't.

Gameception much? It wasn't a book first either, it was a story Tolkien told his kids

#34 Posted by udUbdaWgz1 (631 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride:

lol, ya, Jackson based the first hobbit movie off of the stories Tolkien told to his kids, not.

are you now going to tell me that the hobbit is a great movie if it sells well and wins awards?

the hobbit is an abomination and an affront to the book. a lego game based on that horrid movie is funny.

#35 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@udubdawgz1 said:

@The_Last_Ride:

lol, ya, Jackson based the first hobbit movie off of the stories Tolkien told to his kids, not.

are you now going to tell me that the hobbit is a great movie if it sells well and wins awards?

the hobbit is an abomination and an affront to the book. a lego game based on that horrid movie is funny.

Yeah i am, i personally like them, even though the deviate from the book

#36 Edited by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

All it needs now is Kevin Sorbo and I'll be in line to see it day-one.

#37 Posted by Bardock47 (5341 posts) -

Not sure how I feel...Spidy 1 and 2 were good, as was Oz. Spidey 3 and Drag me to Hell were garbage though

#38 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15171 posts) -

@ The_Last_Ride

That wasn't a creative control issue, that was just bad staff quality.

#39 Posted by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride: More excited about the WoW movie tbh. Isn't Raimi juggling a little too much at this point?

#40 Posted by The_Last_Ride (73497 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: No it's not... Mario movie, BloodRayne, In the Name of the King, Double Dragon, Wing Commander, Dead or Alive, etc. None of these movies are good...

#41 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (15171 posts) -

Well to be fair those were cash ins.

It works both ways, like the Thor Game.

#42 Posted by Senor_Kami (8437 posts) -

The Raimi approach is the last thing The Last of Us Needs. Terrible choice imo. Raimi is a great director in his own right but not for this.

#43 Posted by HipHopBeats (2921 posts) -

All the video game movies I saw were crap merely designed to cash in on the name imo. I expect TLOU movie to be no different. TLOU is a great game and should be left as just that.

#44 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (15171 posts) -

@ HipHopBeats

Comic Book movies used to be crappy cash ins too. But times have changed, now even the most comic-iest of comic books can get good adaptations. So theres hope for TLOU. Even though I think a movie adaptation would be redundant.

#45 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

Given the jokey dialogue that tends to fill his movies, I think Sam Raimi would be a better fit with Uncharted.

Generally speaking I'm not a big fan of videogame movies (though I do have a soft spot for the wonderfully cheesy Mortal Kombat) so this doesn't excite me.