Sad state of skateboarding games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ShadowFFVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 0

#1 ShadowFFVI
Member since 2004 • 378 Posts
I have to say, I really like what EA attempted with skate. bringing a whole new feel to skateboarding games, making it more realistic and giving it some style. Unfortunately I find its most glaring flaw is how accurate your asked to be with the right thumbstick and just how difficult it is sometimes to pull off EXACTLY what you want to do. It was never perfect in Tony Hawk either...but still significantly easier and more accurate. Tony Hawk's Project 8 was IMO the best game to be released since THPS4, it was far better then either THUG (UnderGround) games, and definitely better then THAW (American Wasteland), not only that but it just brought the style of it back to something a little more realistic, while keeping the gameplay nice, fun, and arcadey like the series has always been. But my biggest disappointment is that I probably won't enjoy either skateboarding games too much this year, skate. for the reasons above...its just built too much around the assumption that the user will be able to completely accurately use the thumbstick...where as Tony Hawk this year, seems less focused on anything to do with improving gameplay, and everything to do with adding more "features" like editing video and creating your own online space, and while those are cool things, they don't get me excited to buy the game and go through the campaign. I'd really like the series to go back to its roots a bit, when the pro skaters in the game mattered, when people actually cared which skaters were being added to the game, when the developers used to go out and try to model levels after real life famous skate spots. I loved the old Tony Hawk's Pro Skaters for this. The other thing I'd like, and this may sound lame, but I want the old maps...I want the levels from THPS1-4 brought back. I mean just look at Valve and how they continually remake/improve the CounterStrike maps over and over again, I really don't see anything wrong with them being added back into the Tony Hawk game every year so users can play them even in just multiplayer, cause seriously the only thing that will probably bring me completely back to the Tony Hawk series at this point is a bit of nostalgia. Right now proving ground looks like its going back to the Tony Hawk's UnderGround model, where it tries to get you to create yourself and go through a career, thats fine and all...I don't hate this idea (despite it being done before)...but I wish they'd be more creative. One of the IGN writers I believe had a great idea, suggesting they create the game as something that lets you go through Tony Hawk's career from start to finish...doesn't that sound like an interesting game to play...now THAT would be a skateboarding game with a story mode.
ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts

Dude, I can intentionally pull off about half or moreof the flip tricks in SKATE in one try each, and that's because I do them pretty much all the time. Any of the others I can do in about three tries or less, and the only reason I have to attempt them more than once is because I do them less often. See the parallel to real life? The controls aren't nearly as impossible as people make them out to be. Not nearly. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that I've been able to think of stick movements that could allow for more tricks that aren't available. It takes practice to get it down. Big deal. I want everyone to know that the controls are about ten notches easier than what everyone's saying. If I have to make a demo video to prove it, I will. Anyway, I hope while EA is developing SKATE 2, they listen to the criticism of people like me instead of people like you, because I want more of the good stuff (the controls) and less of the bad (horrible camera, stupid pedestrians).

I agree that the THPS games are played out, though. I was already burned out long before P8 (since about THPS 4), and the gameplay in SKATE pretty much ensures I'll never look back. Grind button? Heh, no thanks. Grind buttons are for posers.

Packt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Packt
Member since 2004 • 3380 Posts

Grind buttons are for posers.

ShenlongBo

*laughs*

ShadowFFVI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#4 ShadowFFVI
Member since 2004 • 378 Posts

Dude, I can intentionally pull off about half or moreof the flip tricks in SKATE in one try each, and that's because I do them pretty much all the time. Any of the others I can do in about three tries or less, and the only reason I have to attempt them more than once is because I do them less often. See the parallel to real life? The controls aren't nearly as impossible as people make them out to be. Not nearly. The only thing I'm disappointed about is that I've been able to think of stick movements that could allow for more tricks that aren't available. It takes practice to get it down. Big deal. I want everyone to know that the controls are about ten notches easier than what everyone's saying. If I have to make a demo video to prove it, I will. Anyway, I hope while EA is developing SKATE 2, they listen to the criticism of people like me instead of people like you, because I want more of the good stuff (the controls) and less of the bad (horrible camera, stupid pedestrians).

I agree that the THPS games are played out, though. I was already burned out long before P8 (since about THPS 4), and the gameplay in SKATE pretty much ensures I'll never look back. Grind button? Heh, no thanks. Grind buttons are for posers.

ShenlongBo
Well I'd hope they listen to the greater number of people disappointed with the controls, rather then then you. I have no problem with a learning curve, nor do I have problems with learning new controls. I wasn't trying to say they were bad, but they just aren't nearly as accurate as Tony Hawk's, and I personally find it more difficult to pull off EXACTLY what I want. Don't try to excuse it as a parallel to real skateboarding, because in real skateboarding I know when I'm trying a kickflip, and I don't accidentally land perfect pop shuvits when trying them.
ShenlongBo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 ShenlongBo
Member since 2004 • 3800 Posts
[QUOTE="ShenlongBo"]

ShadowFFVI

Well I'd hope they listen to the greater number of people disappointed with the controls, rather then then you. I have no problem with a learning curve, nor do I have problems with learning new controls. I wasn't trying to say they were bad, but they just aren't nearly as accurate as Tony Hawk's, and I personally find it more difficult to pull off EXACTLY what I want. Don't try to excuse it as a parallel to real skateboarding, because in real skateboarding I know when I'm trying a kickflip, and I don't accidentally land perfect pop shuvits when trying them.

I doubt you can prove there are a greater number of people who are disappointed with the controls than people like me who love them. Even if you could, EA would still be better off remaning faithful to the people who actually appreciate the game for what it's supposed to be. What you're saying reminds me of the argument that fighting games need to be made easier so more than the hardcore can be involved. Thank god the genre leaders aren't listening.

You've got a long fight ahead of you if you think you can make me believe people who play Tony Hawk games do all the exact grinds and flip tricks they intend to do every single time. More accurate? Hardly. More accessible? Sure. But you know as well as I do that all you need to do in a Hawk game is push the grind button, spam some directional input, and off you go. Most people, I'd be willing to bet, play exactly that way.Hell, when it comes to grinding in SKATE, all I'm doing 90% of the time is just trying to get the grind - I rarely try for a specific one (though, again, because of practice, I can actually hitspecific grinds I want to when I actually try for them). Big deal. So yeah, SKATE allows you to "accidentally" pull off the wrong tricks, but that's not the point. The fact of the matter is that if you take the time to practice (what, like... 10 minutes, maybe?), you can learn to consistently pull off the tricks you're trying to.

The game's parallel to real life skateboarding is reinforced by the fact that some people take the time to figure it out and get it down, while others lose heart and never will.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

You've got a long fight ahead of you if you think you can make me believe people who play Tony Hawk games do all the exact grinds and flip tricks they intend to do every single time. More accurate? Hardly. More accessible? Sure. But you know as well as I do that all you need to do in a Hawk game is push the grind button, spam some directional input, and off you go. Most people, I'd be willing to bet, play exactly that way.Hell, when it comes to grinding in SKATE, all I'm doing 90% of the time is just trying to get the grind - I rarely try for a specific one (though, again, because of practice, I can actually hitspecific grinds I want to when I actually try for them). Big deal. So yeah, SKATE allows you to "accidentally" pull off the wrong tricks, but that's not the point. The fact of the matter is that if you take the time to practice (what, like... 10 minutes, maybe?), you can learn to consistently pull off the tricks you're trying to.

The game's parallel to real life skateboarding is reinforced by the fact that some people take the time to figure it out and get it down, while others lose heart and never will.

ShenlongBo

THPS is too forgiving, I'm sure people don't necessarily do the tricks they intend to do, as much as, their line still looks cool when they screw it up.  Skate actually rewards players for doing the stuff they set out to do.Â