Rygar Battle for Argus (Wii) New trailer and screenshots (56k warning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

EDIT:

New-trailer is a tweaked version of the old one in better quality with a couple of extra bits.

New pic, looks like the graphics are improving already, for instance compare this to the last screen: same enviroment, huuuge difference :)

So I was really not expecting much from this game, but it seems to have steadily improved IMO. I expect a solid 8.0 at least from this title.

Rygar-trailer Seriously check this out guys it looks allright. :) In interviews the producer said that in the next few months he's trying to bring the graphics up to wii levels and the first was a solid game.

Full interview here

At first glance it's hard to know what to make of Tecmo's upcoming Rygar title for Wii, thanks to the game's ongoing identity crisis and slightly bizarre origin. But after spending some time with the game, as well as Team Tachyon (the newly named internal development studio at Tecmo helmed by Fatal Frame producer, Keisuke Kikuchi), we've finally gotten our bearings on what could be one of the best action games coming for the Wii.

"From this point forward, more time will be spent matching the graphical quality to the Wii, and that's going to take some time."

1UP: How do you mean 'matching' the graphics? Are you enhancing them so they're better than the PS2, or does the Wii do something with a color palette that makes things look richer?

KK: I mean basically to make the graphics look better specifically on the Wii.

1up

TGS 2007: Rygar Eyes-on Impressions
Loads of gameplay inside, plus 'Muscle Impact'. Whatever that is.

New-rygar-screenage Check it out.

Rygar : The Battle of Argus en images

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

It is just me or does those backgrounds look recycled from the PS2's Rygar game? Almost like the PS2 version with more baddies and a different main character?

I don't know, that's what came to my mind with some of those BG screens.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gaminggeek

It is just me or does those backgrounds look recycled from the PS2's Rygar game? Almost like the PS2 version with more baddies and a different main character?

I don't know, that's what came to my mind with some of those BG screens.

ASK_Story

It's based on that version, read the interview. Thankfully I haven't played it before.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

I have the PS2 game (god knows it wasn't easy to find but I was a huge fan of the 1985 original on arcades and NES) and I don't know what to make of this. They sure weren't joking when they said ''identity crisis''. It seems pretty much the same game but with a Wii makeover ala RE4, or maybe a bit more work than that if they're honestly trying to improve on the graphics.

It's in my to watch list but not yet in my to buy list

Travo_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Travo_basic
Member since 2003 • 38751 Posts
Its funny, I always thought that God of War was like a imitation of Rygar, onlybetter:P. I'm not sure what to think about this game yet. I loved the PS2 version and hope this version is not too familiar.
Foolz3h

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 Foolz3h
Member since 2006 • 23739 Posts
I'm on 42k atm and I still entered.

Unfortunately I think the graphics are pretty ugly but then again I thought the same thing about FF XII's screenshots and that looked brilliant in-game hell the graphics are actually pretty similar.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gaminggeek
Did you guys check out the trailer? It loads pretty quickly.
grimybrit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#8 grimybrit
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts
I think that the game looks awesome
azad_champ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 azad_champ
Member since 2005 • 3482 Posts

Lol! This comes nowhere to GoW despite being made on a somewhat stronger system.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#10 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
Oh Britney is still there! It looks good. It's a good thing that wii owners got to play similar games to gow, dmc and ninja gaiden :)
Avatar image for 203762174820177760555343052357

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 203762174820177760555343052357
Member since 2005 • 7599 Posts
I wonder if the chain thing will control like the grapple in Metroid Prime 3?
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 gaminggeek

Well apparentely the Diskarmor or whatever it's called calculates the angle and speed of your swing. The subtitle in Japan is Muscle impact and according to the interview, the producer wants to avoid the situation on some wii games where you can get away with a flick of the wrist. So, the more power and fuller your swing on this game, the more damage you'll deal to the enemy. If you look at the screens, the game tells you how much damage you're doing when the diskarmor connects each time.

Also they have only just begun optimising the graphics as they were in the process of pulling basic level design over from the previous version.

"Before you'd slash through many, but this time I want to focus on each impact, the soothing feeling of a big attack. "

Gamingqueen... :P

1UP: I noticed you toned down the 'Britney Spears' look of the princess in the game. Was that deliberate?

KK: I really haven't done much to it. I'm not trying to criticize my predecessor, but I didn't like the way she looked in the previous game, so I made some adjustments to make her more generic instead of having too much focus on her.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#13 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

The game is starting to look better, and I do like that the developer is still trying to improve them further. The implementation fo the disc armor sounds good too. Instead of just slicing through a group you'll be feeling individual impacts. That could really go a long way in changing the gameplay and separating it from God of War, which depending upon your view point is either the inspiration or immitator that did a better job.

At this point my biggest concern is that it's going to be just like the PS2 Rygar. That game was too freaking short. That was a 6 hour game. At this point in gaming, that is just way too short even for an action game. They better be adding a heck of a lot more content to this game if that's the case.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Hmm... looks interesting. I find it odd that the Wii is nearly 3 times as powerful as the PS2 and yet it doesn't look better than GoW.
Siddiqui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Siddiqui
Member since 2002 • 544 Posts

I threw this in the same bucket as Dragon Blade at first but now I'm paying attention. The graphics still don't look that good but the character and enemy designs are just really nice at times. This is my favorite screen:

Still, I'm more intrested in what will come of the gameplay. It probably won't be the type of game you would play for hours and hours straight but the type of gameplay might make it more satisfying and engaging.

Ravenprose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ravenprose
Member since 2007 • 418 Posts
It's going to be a rental for me.I don't care for the graphics much, but as long as the gameplay is fun, then I'll give it a try.
2good2betrue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17 2good2betrue
Member since 2006 • 7791 Posts
wow, that games looks pretty cool, and i never heard of it before, but didn't people say dragon blade will be the wii's GOW and look how that turned out. This won't be god of war, but im definately interested now
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 gaminggeek

I threw this in the same bucket as Dragon Blade at first but now I'm paying attention. The graphics still don't look that good but the character and enemy designs are just really nice at times. This is my favorite screen:
Still, I'm more intrested in what will come of the gameplay. It probably won't be the type of game you would play for hours and hours straight but the type of gameplay might make it more satisfying and engaging.

Siddiqui

That's a really early screen from months ago. Like they said in the interview, now things are in place from now on till launch they're working on the bringing the visuals up to par and it may be delayed till early 08 to do that (hopefully)

The recent screens look better already IMO and the trailer shows varying quality from the different builds.

The interview indicates that they are adding a gladiator mode with all sorts of different boss challenges to the mix. 6 hours does sound short, but I think they are trying to make it the kind of game you can replay and in all honesty a lot of games I've been playing recentely fit into that mould: 6 hour games :(

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gamingqueen

Well apparentely the Diskarmor or whatever it's called calculates the angle and speed of your swing. The subtitle in Japan is Muscle impact and according to the interview, the producer wants to avoid the situation on some wii games where you can get away with a flick of the wrist. So, the more power and fuller your swing on this game, the more damage you'll deal to the enemy. If you look at the screens, the game tells you how much damage you're doing when the diskarmor connects each time.

Also they have only just begun optimising the graphics as they were in the process of pulling basic level design over from the previous version.

"Before you'd slash through many, but this time I want to focus on each impact, the soothing feeling of a big attack. "

Gamingqueen... :P

1UP: I noticed you toned down the 'Britney Spears' look of the princess in the game. Was that deliberate?

KK: I really haven't done much to it. I'm not trying to criticize my predecessor, but I didn't like the way she looked in the previous game, so I made some adjustments to make her more generic instead of having too much focus on her.

gaminggeek

More generic?

Siddiqui

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Siddiqui
Member since 2002 • 544 Posts
That's a really early screen from months ago. Like they said in the interview, now things are in place from now on till launch they're working on the bringing the visuals up to par and it may be delayed till early 08 to do that (hopefully)gaminggeek

Yeah, but it's still my favorite screen. I like the enemy design 8)

Hopefully they do delay it to Q1 '08. I don't think it would look as good as it should otherwise.

Also I wonder what he means when he says "to make the graphics look better specifically on the Wii." That sounds like a weak statement. All it's really saying is that it will look better - on the Wii, which shoud be obvious. He said 'matching' but what is he trying to match? Some Wii games look awesome but a lot really don't. Hopefully he's just trying not to make unnecessary promises...

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gaminggeek

Well, let's hope.

BTW for those that have played the PS2 version, what's the story in the game?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gamingqueen

Well, let's hope.

gaminggeek

I have it but I couldn't get past the one-eyed boss. He's so hard! Technically I haven't played it that much but seems to me that you'll be saving a princess in this game!

EmilioDigsIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 EmilioDigsIt
Member since 2005 • 4391 Posts
Man, this looks good in motion. I might pick this up... maybes.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts
Looking pretty good. I only played a little of the PS2 game when I rented it awhile back but I really liked it and it was a game that I wanted to pick up and would still pick it up if I ever came across the game these days so I'll definately keep an eye to see how this one turns out. It will most likely be a game I'll put on my wishlist.
EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts

Well, let's hope.

gaminggeek

I wouldn't. You're setting yourself up for a huge disappointment.

I own the PS2 version and have played it from beginning to end, god knows how I managed to do it back then but I sure as hell wouldn't be able to stand it nowadays, the story was one of the worst out there (I use "one of" meaning I'm leaving an empty spot for some future game with an even worse plot, not because it doesn't have the worst plot of all the games I've ever played), easily worse than DMC2 (which essentially created an irreconcilable gap in the DMC storyline that can only be fixed by pretending DMC2 doesn't exist), garbage level plot and dialogue, EMBARRASSINGLY BAD, not even something one can laugh off, one can laugh off the plot in Nanobreaker or Castlevania Curse of Darkness but definitely not Rygar, wait until Britney starts singing.

The gameplay itself was short and mediocre at best, from the screens it doesn't look like much has changed other than some cosmetic changes to the protagonist, so please do not compare it to God of War, it's not Wii's "answer" to God of War, never was, never will be, by today's standard it shouldn't even be considered decent, there are probably better games to hype than this like No More Heroes which might even be somewhat decent.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 gaminggeek

^LOL

"Now is not the time to be speakin so smugly" - trailer reference

Thanks for the info, I can't wait to see Britney spears in her glory :P

P.S I can't believe how some of you guys have gotten even slightly worked up over a thread title, all it meant was a God of War st-yle hack and slasher. :idea:

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Robio_basic

Well, let's hope.

gaminggeek

I don't know if I'd call the story horrible or the worst ever. It was just extremely generic (evil taking over. . . .save the princess. . . hero with unknown powers. . .). It's interpretation of Greek mythology was pretty freaking tragic though. If you know anything about Greek mythology, and then play this game you'll swear the game's storyline was written by an 8th grader doing a book report who only read the description on the back cover of the book and nothing more.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gaminggeek
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

Well, let's hope.

Robio_basic

I don't know if I'd call the story horrible or the worst ever. It was just extremely generic (evil taking over. . . .save the princess. . . hero with unknown powers. . .). It's interpretation of Greek mythology was pretty freaking tragic though. If you know anything about Greek mythology, and then play this game you'll swear the game's storyline was written by an 8th grader doing a book report who only read the description on the back cover of the book and nothing more.

So..... on par with halo 3's story? :P

I kid, I kid. That purple guy in the trailer looks like the main character from the soul reaver games.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

Well, let's hope.

Robio_basic

It's not greek mythology, that's what god of war is based on. Rygar could be based on Norse, or Celtic but it's certainly not greek mythology. i would know

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Robio_basic
[QUOTE="Robio_basic"][QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

Well, let's hope.

bugsonglass

It's not greek mythology, that's what god of war is based on. Rygar could be based on Norse, or Celtic but it's certainly not greek mythology. i would know

You either didn't play the game or you don't understand just how loosely they used the Greek Mythology. Look at the creatures and placesfound in the game. Minotaurs, a flying boss named Icarus, a sea shrine called Poseidonia, the Hades disc armor, and there's plenty more. Remember I didn't say it was accurately based on Greek Mythology, merely a poor interpretation.

nivet14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#32 nivet14
Member since 2006 • 5329 Posts
looks ok.
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
[QUOTE="bugsonglass"][QUOTE="Robio_basic"][QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

Well, let's hope.

Robio_basic

You either didn't play the game or you don't understand just how loosely they used the Greek Mythology. Look at the creatures and placesfound in the game. Minotaurs, a flying boss named Icarus, a sea shrine called Poseidonia, the Hades disc armor, and there's plenty more. Remember I didn't say it was accurately based on Greek Mythology, merely a poor interpretation.

Both Rygar and GoW are EXTREMELY loosely based on Greek mythology. Rygar doens't actually use any of the actual stories, it just uses some of the creatures. GoW is slightly more informed, but still both titles are just games, not an accurate representation of Greek mythology or otherwise.

EvilTaru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 EvilTaru
Member since 2002 • 58394 Posts
[QUOTE="gaminggeek"]

Well, let's hope.

Robio_basic

And one that is trying to write dialogue that would make people cringe with embarrassment, I don't know why they would even remake Rygar PS2 like this, it needed to be COMPLETELY REVAMPED, from story to dialogue, and they needed to add a TON more content because the game was bloody short.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gaminggeek
New pic :) See first post. Looks like the graphics are improving already and according to IGNs list the game has been delayed to 2008.
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts

Stuff God of War, let's raise it a notch. Is this game going to be an answer to Devil May Cry 3, would you say?

But in any case, it looks interesting. Was considering picking up the PS2 version, but I might get this one instead.

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Robio_basic
Okay things are finally shaping up nicely and it's starting to look like a game for this generation and not last generation. If they add some new content and double the amount of gameplay, this may be worth picking up.
St_Stu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#39 St_Stu
Member since 2005 • 1338 Posts
this game looks ugly...I'm sorry it just does. You matter aswell play GOW
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 gaminggeek
Updated with new trailer: see first post :)