RTS with RPG systems (not DoW2)?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Hey I am looking for an RTS that has leveling similar to RPGs... Units that get XP in combat and level, etc... I am not looking for DoW2... I am more looking for level progress throughout one game rather than across mission after mission through a campaign... And I don't care about finding new gear/loot... Similar to Command and Conquer 3, but perhaps more in depth...

I remember in C&C3, units leveled until they reached the rank displayed as a star; at that rank their weapons had increased effects, they had better damage/health in general, etc... I am looking for something like that as I like to turtle and farm XP with my units and then steamroll later; usually against the hardest AI difficulty and the likes since players are c-ckasses and circumvent all that and just bomb from afar or other BS game-enders that the AI doesn't often use.

Call me bad or what have you, but I like my RTSs to last hours and hours; not the 10 minutes it takes a human player to second tier tank rush or some other stupidness.  And I just enjoy it more when my units make progress over those hours.

Thanks

EDIT: Also I don't care about time period, setting, etc... Ancient and swords, sci-fi, etc... Doesn't matter as long as it has base building and units that can level... I would prefer it be "newer;" that is decent graphics, 1080p support, etc...

d_kell411

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 d_kell411
Member since 2004 • 286 Posts

Warcraft 3. Dated to the pre-World of Warcraft era, this RTS was particularly known for its RPG elements, so much so in fact, that they based the entire MMORPG on this one aspect of the original Warcrafts. Factions have heroes, which can buy or trade equipment at vendors, as well as level. The fan base for the original Warcrafts is particularly strong, indicating that a Warcraft 4 on current gen graphics would do quite well.

Company of Heroes. This RTS hit the market with a big impact, and is made by Relic Entertainment, the same guys responsible for Dawn of War. Although released in 2006, it is still a graphically beautiful game. It features fully destructible environments, and tactical elements (such as infantry advancing behind tanks for cover, or diving into craters from earlier explosions). The units are upgradable with new weapon types, and can also pick up other weapons left about the battlefield.

The Battle for Middle Earth: This RTS focused on the War of the Ring that took place during the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This RTS might not have all of the unit customization that you're looking for, but it does offer this RPG aspect to its heroes. Heroes level up and learn new abilities as they grow stronger. With some heroes, they even have multiple sets of weapons that they can use, such as bow/sword combos.

Squeets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Squeets
Member since 2006 • 8185 Posts

Warcraft 3. Dated to the pre-World of Warcraft era, this RTS was particularly known for its RPG elements, so much so in fact, that they based the entire MMORPG on this one aspect of the original Warcrafts. Factions have heroes, which can buy or trade equipment at vendors, as well as level. The fan base for the original Warcrafts is particularly strong, indicating that a Warcraft 4 on current gen graphics would do quite well.

Company of Heroes. This RTS hit the market with a big impact, and is made by Relic Entertainment, the same guys responsible for Dawn of War. Although released in 2006, it is still a graphically beautiful game. It features fully destructible environments, and tactical elements (such as infantry advancing behind tanks for cover, or diving into craters from earlier explosions). The units are upgradable with new weapon types, and can also pick up other weapons left about the battlefield.

The Battle for Middle Earth: This RTS focused on the War of the Ring that took place during the Lord of the Rings trilogy. This RTS might not have all of the unit customization that you're looking for, but it does offer this RPG aspect to its heroes. Heroes level up and learn new abilities as they grow stronger. With some heroes, they even have multiple sets of weapons that they can use, such as bow/sword combos.

d_kell411

I have tried Warcraft 3 and can't get into it... I am very much a graphics whore and that game is way to old for me.

I have already played the hell out of Company of Heroes...

And do you have any ideas where I can buy Battle for Middle Earth? I can't find it for sale digitally anywhere and new copies are like $250+ on ebay/amazon...?

Thanks for suggestions, also if anyone has anything else I am still looking :)

Kevin-V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#4 Kevin-V
Member since 2006 • 5418 Posts

Spellforce and Spellforce 2 look dated now, but they're pretty cool mixtures of RPG and RTS mechanics. Maybe Men of War, Majesty and Majesty 2, Warlords Battlecry 3.

Avatar image for andreasaspenber
andreasaspenber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 andreasaspenber
Member since 2004 • 25 Posts
starcraft 2 heart of the swarm have roleplaying elements where a central hero levels up between levels.
Avatar image for Scholar_Of_Time
Scholar_Of_Time

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Scholar_Of_Time
Member since 2006 • 52 Posts

Then look no further than...

For Dark Crusade - FIRESTORM OVER KRONUS (3.6); It offers "RPG Elements" like....

1. WARGEAR DISTRIBUTION!! (Commander Units can pick different weapons from their default; and there are a good variety of them, meaning no 2 opposing Space Marine Captains are ever the same.)

2. PSUEDO-LEVELING UP SYSTEM (Just like C&C3's ranking system; it applies to Heroes and Infantry; but its a Game module called "Heroes")

AND MORE SUPER ULTRA GREAT DELICIOUS WONDERFUL FEATURES like...

3. DIVERSE MARKS OF CHAOS!!! (Remember Retribution's Eliphas having the ability to choose a mark?? The "Chaos" Race has SIX marks of Chaos From The Mark of Khorne, to the Chaos Renegades (Not Chaos Undivided...its a separate pickable mark). Oh and Wargear will be different for every mark...but "Chaos Renegades" have the most diverse commander units (The ability to choose a Mark of Chaos for themselves is a good plus.)

"pant"...there's SERIOUSLY a lot of ground to cover; just...get it in ModDB...FOR FREE!!!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/dawn-of-warhammer-40k-firestorm-over-kronus

There's also a Soulstorm version called PURGATION OF KAURAVA and it has a more recent version than FoK...

http://www.moddb.com/mods/purgation-of-kaurava