JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By JamesJoule
Member since 2012 • 398 Posts

so i am looking for real time strategy games with role playing elements ... like leveling up and gaining xp and this kinds of stuff .. a good example of what i mean is age of the empires 3 .. and starcraft 2 (but unfortunatly it's rpg element is for the campaign only and not present in multiplayer ) .. so any suggestions ? i hear warhammer 40k dawn of war ii is good and have those elements .. but does exist in multiplayer as well or just the campaign ? thanks in advance

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I don't think leveling up is a big deal in RTS games. But, units in C&C3: Tiberian Wars do level up. Their hitting power and ability to absorb damage increase as well as gaining the ability to self-heal.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Look at the Spellforce games.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Do you wanna know why they gimp or outright axe the RPG Elements in PvP Multiplayer modes ?

Splatted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Splatted
Member since 2012 • 58 Posts

@JamesJoule: If you're fine with old games then Warcraft 3 is pretty big on the RPG elements. In both the campaign and skirmish mode you have hero units that can level up, learn new abilities and collect loot from around the map to make themselves more powerful. I don't know what the online community is like though and if that's where your interest lies it might be too late.

Edit: Dawn of war 2 does carry over some RPG elements to skirmish mode. All units (except maybe vehicles, can't remember) gain experience and level up for better stats but no other changes. Hero units can purchase equipment to change stats and abilities. I recently started playing this game and there are still a few people online though it can sometimes be hard to find a match.

SovietsUnited

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 238

#6 SovietsUnited
Member since 2009 • 2457 Posts

Warcraft 3 is the obvious choice

RyuRanVII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7 RyuRanVII
Member since 2006 • 4257 Posts

@wiouds said:

This. SpellForce 1 & 2 are fantastic games. The third one is finally coming out this year.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By JamesJoule

@RyuRanVII said:

@wiouds said:

This. SpellForce 1 & 2 are fantastic games. The third one is finally coming out this year.

yeah i watched some reviews and they look awesome

alim298

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 alim298
Member since 2012 • 2747 Posts

I've heard good things about KIng Arthur games.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JamesJoule

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Do you wanna know why they gimp or outright axe the RPG Elements in PvP Multiplayer modes ?

for balance i guess

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JamesJoule

@Lulu_Lulu said:

for balance i guess

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#12  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Look towards Warcraft 3, Spellforce 2, Dawn Of War 2 campaign (MP is more conquest/control RTS) and Majesty 2.

Are you willing to give Turn Based Strategy games a chance? because there are plenty of amazing Strategy RPG hybrids available across multiple platform within different subgenres.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

MOBAs have short-term match-long RPG elements in them. It allows for comebacks, strategies and it opens up vulnerabilities/weaknesses in certain compositions to exploit or plan around. Obviously persistent account-wide RPG elements in PvP is either bad or intentionally unfair.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu

@JamesJoule:

Exactly ;)

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@illmatic87:

How short is short term ? Like an 8 minute session ?

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JamesJoule

@illmatic87 said:

Look towards Warcraft 3, Spellforce 2, Dawn Of War 2 campaign (MP is more conquest/control RTS) and Majesty 2.

Are you willing to give Turn Based Strategy games a chance? because there are plenty of amazing Strategy RPG hybrids available across multiple platform within different subgenres.

@Lulu_Lulu said:

MOBAs have short-term match-long RPG elements in them. It allows for comebacks, strategies and it opens up vulnerabilities/weaknesses in certain compositions to exploit or plan around. Obviously persistent account-wide RPG elements in PvP is either bad or intentionally unfair.

oh yes i also love turn based .. but the good rts ones are really hard to find

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#16  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Warcraft 3 and Dawn of War 2. There are semi RPG elements in Company of Heroes as well (Skill tree that unlocks special abilities and supporting units during battle)

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#17  Edited By illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@illmatic87:

How short is short term ? Like an 8 minute session ?

A game going that short is rare (maybe impossible because the win conditions are gated) and there are plenty of opportunities to catch up (eg. a team killing an opponent that's currently the highest level in a match is a HUGE momentum swing) so it's not common for a team to call a match a loss. Depending on the game (DotA 2/LoL/Smite have different pacing), a match can last up to an hour.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Lulu_Lulu

@illmatic87:

Sweet..... altgough its not for me.....

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19570 Posts

How has nobody mentioned the Warlords Battlecry series? Sure, they're a bit old...but the RPG aspects were much better than Warcraft 3 back in the day.

Basically, it was a standard fantasy RTS game (with something like 12-16 unique races in the later games), but the hook was that you would create a hero and level them up/gain loot/conquer places/recruit levelled up units persistently across all of your battles. Heroes could build, cast a ton of different spells, convert resources and enemy buildings, go on quests, improve morale of nearby troops...they were a huge part of the battle.

My personal favourite hero type was a Minotaur Assassin. There was nothing quite like dashing around the map with one of the strongest warriors in the game, plus a chance to instantly kill with every hit.

nulld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nulld
Member since 2014 • 27 Posts

@JamesJoule said:

so i am looking for real time strategy games with role playing elements ... like leveling up and gaining xp and this kinds of stuff .. a good example of what i mean is age of the empires 3 .. and starcraft 2 (but unfortunatly it's rpg element is for the campaign only and not present in multiplayer ) .. so any suggestions ? i hear warhammer 40k dawn of war ii is good and have those elements .. but does exist in multiplayer as well or just the campaign ? thanks in advance

Are you interested in MOBAs? Not all RTS players like them, but they certainly have XP and leveling.

BTW, I completely understand the appeal of an RTS with leveling elements. I'm working on a pet project making an RTS game in Unity, and I hope to be able to put in a feature where units can level to gain new abilities.

JamesJoule

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 JamesJoule
@nulld said:

@JamesJoule said:

Are you interested in MOBAs? Not all RTS players like them, but they certainly have XP and leveling.

BTW, I completely understand the appeal of an RTS with leveling elements. I'm working on a pet project making an RTS game in Unity, and I hope to be able to put in a feature where units can level to gain new abilities.

the would be amazing .. my dream game is a unique mix of rts with deep rpg this subgenre is amazing .. so good luck with your project ... about mobas i do like torchlight 2 and diablo 3 and path of exile .. but other mobas like dota 2 and league of legends are a turnoff because u dont play as one character u just choose a hero every time so that's a turnoff for me

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Dawn of war! Wish they made more games like it!