rpgs u dislike that everyone loves

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

what japenese rpgs or western rpgs do u hate that evryone loves heres mine

jrpgs

disgaea hour of darkness(love the artstyle and character but gameplay is meh for me)

kingdom hearts 2(i dont hate this game i do find it decent its just the plot is sooo stupid it kinda puts me off)

mario rpgs (this one is mainly due to me not caring for the italian plumber)

fire emblem series(i just cant get into these games however much i try)

wrpgs

dragon age 2(brilliant graphics but repetetive gameplay)

and thats pretty much iti dont play wrpgs much im a jrpg kind of guy

whats yours?

LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts
Last time I checked, pretty much everyone hates Dragon Age 2, such a let down.
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 klonoafanboy122

Last time I checked, pretty much everyone hates Dragon Age 2, such a let down.LittleMac19

it got 8.5/10 from ign about 8.0/10 from this site and a metecritic score of 82/100

so not that hated of a game

what rpgs do u hate that everyone likes

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts
FF7 I don't hate it as such but I just could never enjoy it enough to complete it. I played it around a year ago (had never played a FF game before) and got 10 hours into it then stopped. Since then I've completed FF6 and FF8 and enjoyed them
equanox214

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 equanox214
Member since 2005 • 167 Posts

oh me! The elder scrolls series. holy hell. just IMO that is just such a buggy, unoptimized, un interesting game to play (on consoles) i recently got it for my pc and modded it to hell to enjoy it. But man when it first came out that was an aweful game and it was rare to find someone who agreed with me

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#6 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. So many people swear that this is the best game in the series, but I thought the combat was broken and thus the game was impossible to enjoy.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
I hate all RPG's, its just simpler that way. :)
Avatar image for Eikichi-Onizuka
Eikichi-Onizuka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#8 Eikichi-Onizuka
Member since 2008 • 9205 Posts
The Elder Scrolls Morrorwind/Oblivion, I just don't like the combat much and everything else isn't enough to draw me in. I prefer the Fallout games.
XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

The Elder Scrolls: Morrowind. So many people swear that this is the best game in the series, but I thought the combat was broken and thus the game was impossible to enjoy.

GreySeal9

The combat only seemed broken because your hit chance is low at the start until you increase your stats. The graphics mod on the pc is amazing for it and looks way better than skyrim does on consoles so if you do play it again you would enjoy that.

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#10 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Almost every Final Fantasy and the Kingdom Hearts series.
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

The combat only seemed broken because your hit chance is low at the start until you increase your stats. The graphics mod on the pc is amazing for it and looks way better than skyrim does on consoles so if you do play it again you would enjoy that.

That would be pretty cool since Morrowind does have a really cool world (much more interesting than Oblivion); I just really really don't like the way that game's combat works.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rawsavon
Member since 2004 • 40001 Posts
Xenogears comes to mind... -terrible use of source material (philosophy, psychology, etc) -atrocious/rushed second disk One of the most mediocre RPG's I played on the PS1
LittleMac19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 LittleMac19
Member since 2009 • 1638 Posts

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Last time I checked, pretty much everyone hates Dragon Age 2, such a let down.klonoafanboy122

it got 8.5/10 from ign about 8.0/10 from this site and a metecritic score of 82/100

I'll assume you didn't hang around Bioware forums around the time that game launched,I would say the backlash was almost unbearable to the point that it was almost sad, good review scores didn't change that either. Now that I think of it, I haven't ran into one person that holds that game in high regard. To answer your question I would say, Suikoden (PS1), I've heard of the praise it gets and quite frankly I don't understand why. It's too easy,the story is basic as hell. One playthrough was enough for me to see that. I would also say FFVIII but I would be lying to myself since I think the game is solid, it's just Squall and his douche aura almost made me hate the game, good thing the other characters and the story itself was good enough to make me ignore him.
dbz987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 114

User Lists: 1

#14 dbz987
Member since 2006 • 3765 Posts

Shadow Hearts Covenant- I found the game too anime cliched. Wasnt fond of the combat system

Kingdom Hearts II- One of the disappointing games I have ever played. The game was too easy. The worlds were bland and linear compared to the first one and there was barely any story at all.

JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Last time I checked, pretty much everyone hates Dragon Age 2, such a let down.klonoafanboy122

That's because game critics aren't very good; as long as a big budget game "works" it's guaranteed at least a 7.5. Lots of people think games like Dragon Age 2 and Final Fantasy XIII were huge disappointments but you wouldn't know it by looking at scores from critics.

I like this article on SomethingAwful

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 klonoafanboy122

[QUOTE="klonoafanboy122"]

[QUOTE="LittleMac19"]Last time I checked, pretty much everyone hates Dragon Age 2, such a let down.JML897

That's because game critics aren't very good; as long as a big budget game "works" it's guaranteed at least a 7.5. Lots of people think games like Dragon Age 2 and Final Fantasy XIII were huge disappointments but you wouldn't know it by looking at scores from critics.

I like this article on SomethingAwful

yeah but i actualy liked FF XIII and i know people who do the main reason that game wass hated because it wasnt up to the fanbases standers and the voice acting sucked

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CommanderShiro
Member since 2005 • 21746 Posts

Kingdom Hearts II- One of the disappointing games I have ever played. The game was too easy. The worlds were bland and linear compared to the first one and there was barely any story at all.

dbz987

Yes yes yes. I actually yelled at the tv when the only time I died in the game, Mickey came and saved me. Combat took so many steps backwards compared to the first game.

saosebastiao

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#18 saosebastiao
Member since 2006 • 140 Posts

I dont like Dragon Quest VIII, Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga and Final Fantasy X-2 on the Ps2.

DQ VIII is too linear, crap story, way too much unnecessary grinding and too many random encounters.

Final Fantasy X-2 is just horrible. Shouldn't have been done. 

Shin Megami Digital Devil Saga is too chiché, doesn't bring anything new and is boring as f***. But then again most Shin Megami Games are overrated. I still don't get it why some people love them and then trash the FF series if they're basically games with the same concepts (and worse graphics on the SMT games, with only a bloodier story). It's like saying that one Jrpg is a lot better than the other, when their core gameplay is almost the same (at least FF games "evolve" their gameplay with the next game, SMT games stay the same (classic JRPG's with way too many random encounters) and Atlus recicles a lot of material).

I still like Kingdom Hearts 2, but I think that it isn't as good as people say it is. KH2 is way too linear, it starts off the wrong way, the way you play it is boring and predictable (you play it in this order EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME: story starts, you get to a world, cutscene, fights, cutscene, more fights, more cutscenes, boss fight, go to another world, repeat). Combat issues an camera were somewhat solved, but I still think the first one is better and has way more charm.

Breath of Fire 3 on the Ps1, I like the game, but not as much as everyone else, the game is good, but the forth and fifth games were way better.

Vagrant Story on the Ps1, the game isn't great, it's a game worth 7.5 - 8.0 at most. Terrible, terrible combat system, sometimes the "weapon leveling up by grinding" doesn't work at all, and you have to rely on too much timing to kill a boss (it's too frustrating to deliver a lot of blows when they take 1hp each, not really worth it). Amazing graphics, nice story, but terrible gameplay. Medieval Gear Solid my ass. 

Dudersaper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: -3

#19 Dudersaper
Member since 2007 • 32952 Posts
Shin Megami Digital Devil Saga is too chichésaosebastiao
When the cliché in JRPG's is either teenagers saving the world and the protagonist having amesia, or stuff about saving a princess that then evolves into something bigger, I wouldn't call Digital Devil Saga cliché. It does *minor spoiler* involve amesia but it's definetly not in the same "cliché" way you usually see.
I still don't get it why some people love them and then trash the FF series if they're basically games with the same concepts It's like saying that one Jrpg is a lot better than the other, when their core gameplay is almost the same (at least FF games "evolve" their gameplay with the next game, SMT games stay the samesaosebastiao
There's alot that I disagree with with this paragraph. They are far from having the same concept and far from having the same core gameplay. And SMT titles definetly don't "stay the same". Play Digital Devil Saga, Persona 4, Nocturne and Devil Summoner and you'll notice A LOT changes in the core gameplay. Play Final Fantasy FVII, FFIX, FFX and FFXII the gameplay does change, but not as much. (the one changing the most being XII) I'd say there is more variety in SMT titles gameplay than in FF. That and characters in SMT games are generally much more interesting than almost any FF character :P Imo SMT has much more to offer than FF as a series. Only points I agree with you on is the fact that SMT titles have generally worse graphics (though I prefer the art direction) and that they recycle alot, like spell names and the monsters and items. (btw, I hope I'm not comming off as abrasive, I'm just expressing my thoughts :P)
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 klonoafanboy122

I dont like Dragon Quest VIII, Shin Megami Tensei Digital Devil Saga and Final Fantasy X-2 on the Ps2.

DQ VIII is too linear, crap story, way too much unnecessary grinding and too many random encounters.

Shin Megami Digital Devil Saga is too chiché, doesn't bring anything new and is boring as f***. But then again most Shin Megami Games are overrated. I still don't get it why some people love them and then trash the FF series if they're basically games with the same concepts (and worse graphics on the SMT games, with only a bloodier story). It's like saying that one Jrpg is a lot better than the other, when their core gameplay is almost the same (at least FF games "evolve" their gameplay with the next game, SMT games stay the same (classic JRPG's with way too many random encounters) and Atlus recicles a lot of material).

I still like Kingdom Hearts 2, but I think that it isn't as good as people say it is. KH2 is way too linear, it starts off the wrong way, the way you play it is boring and predictable (you play it in this order EVERY FRIGGIN' TIME: story starts, you get to a world, cutscene, fights, cutscene, more fights, more cutscenes, boss fight, go to another world, repeat). Combat issues an camera were somewhat solved, but I still think the first one is better and has way more charm.

Breath of Fire 3 on the Ps1, I like the game, but not as much as everyone else, the game is good, but the forth and fifth games were way better.

Vagrant Story on the Ps1, the game isn't great, it's a game worth 7.5 - 8.0 at most. Terrible, terrible combat system, sometimes the "weapon leveling up by grinding" doesn't work at all, and you have to rely on too much timing to kill a boss (it's too frustrating to deliver a lot of blows when they take 1hp each, not really worth it). Amazing graphics, nice story, but terrible gameplay. Medieval Gear Solid my ass. 

saosebastiao

i dunno i liked the persona games and SMT for the super famicom and demikids

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#21 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts

saosebastiao
so harsh.
TheKingIAm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 TheKingIAm
Member since 2013 • 1531 Posts
I hate any rpg game where you have to battle every 3 steps
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

- Secret of Mana (frustrating party AI, mediocre story)

- Ogre Battle 64 (boring)

- Lost Odyssey (not legacy, but I hated this game so much)

- Xenogears (horrible pacing)

Yo-SUP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Yo-SUP
Member since 2013 • 357 Posts

reviewers=/=Million of gameplayers.
nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Earthbound, though I never really gave it much of a chance. Only played it like an hour once. 

Avatar image for deactivated-58e448fd89d82
deactivated-58e448fd89d82

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-58e448fd89d82
Member since 2010 • 4494 Posts

Skidrim

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts
I hate any rpg game where you have to battle every 3 stepsTheKingIAm
Usually because the combat mechanics suck, and the few games that don't have crappy combat have annoying balancing issues so its not surprising people wana battle less.
Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

GreySeal9

Plus I felt the world was very dull. Pretty but dull. I also hated the dungeons. Walking can be a pain too.

Most WRPGs I dsliked except KOTOR. The onthers never pulled me in.

I would add KH2 (as others have said already) and FFX.

I can't think of anything else at the moment.

benleslie5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 557

#29 benleslie5  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 9175 Posts

I've never liked Western RPG games when it comes to games like Mass Efftect, Elder Scrolls series or even Dragon Age they aren't my cup of tea

famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Dragon Age, the Elders Scrolls series, Fallout 3 and New Vegas, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Mass Effect 1 and 2 (never played 3), Final Fantasy X, X-2, XII, XIII. All awful. Deus Ex 1 is the only Deus Ex game as far as I'm concerned.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Most Squaresoft ones.

klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 klonoafanboy122

Most Squaresoft ones.

Panzer_Zwei

why mind i ask

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts
Lost Odyssey (not legacy, but I hated this game so muchShenmue_Jehuty
Finally! i was going to post this but thought I would be mobbed. So i'll just hide behind you here.
Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

[QUOTE="Panzer_Zwei"]

Most Squaresoft ones.

klonoafanboy122

why mind i ask

Never liked their style.

SQUARE made other games I did liked, but their RPGs are still to this day just not my type.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#35 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
Never liked FFVII or FFVIII. I just couldnt get into either, (except for the card game in FFVIII, I think I would have enjoyed it more if that was the main game, lol.)
riou7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 riou7  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 10842 Posts

Dragon age and elder scroll series. Can only think of those two at the moment

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#37 Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts
Wasn't fond of Grandia to be honest. The first one anyways.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 rawsavon
Never liked FFVII or FFVIII. I just couldnt get into either, (except for the card game in FFVIII, I think I would have enjoyed it more if that was the main game, lol.)Allicrombie
I forgot to name those two. -same for me...and about the card game
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 rawsavon
Also, Dragon Quest 7 and 8 HATE the First Person perspective, slow-to-develop stories, crap stories, and boring, childish characters
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 GreySeal9

Although I think it's a decent game, I don't for the life of me understand why some people think The Legend of Dragoon is amazing. The dialogue is pretty terrible and the game does nothing remarkable. It does have some gorgeous prerendered backgrounds and a cool battle system (it wears out its welcome however) tho.

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 rawsavon
I thought it (LoD) was good...not great. But certainly better than its contemporaries (FF7 and 8)
GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 GreySeal9

I thought it (LoD) was good...not great. But certainly better than its contemporaries (FF7 and 8)rawsavon

Gonna have to disagree with that.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I thought it (LoD) was good...not great. But certainly better than its contemporaries (FF7 and 8)GreySeal9

The like of LoD has increased with the recent FF7 hate bandwagon imo. Sure, you could say that you don't think FF7 or FF8 are not that good of games, that's fine, but it's been a literal "it's garbage" bandwagon for awhile now. people are starting to like Beyond the Beyond which now has a dedicated website full of fans and a list that shows how its better than other PS rpgs such as Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy, and Persona. I personally think LoD is ok, but not that good. Its story was bland, and the battles got boring within the first few hours for me.
rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 rawsavon

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I thought it (LoD) was good...not great. But certainly better than its contemporaries (FF7 and 8)GreySeal9

Yeah, it's all personal opinion. I just happen to think both of those FF games are pretty bad. -7 did tons for the genre...did the most of probably any rpg ever for the genre, in fact. But the story and characters are pretty bad IMO when you go back play it...at least for me. I played it as a young teenager when it came out. -8...well I thought the story and characters were terrible even at the time. One of the most annoying leads in RPG history for me and a pretty crappy supporting cast. I just could not stand all the emo b*tching and moaning and the (even worse than) HS romance story. Then you add in crappy (to me) gameplay mechanics like the magic draw system. It is not that I hate FF games. I loved 9...also enjoyed 4, 6, and 12. 10 is not so bad aside from the cheesy stuff b/w the leads and 10-2 had great gameplay at least
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 klonoafanboy122

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

[QUOTE="rawsavon"]I thought it (LoD) was good...not great. But certainly better than its contemporaries (FF7 and 8)Jakandsigz

The like of LoD has increased with the recent FF7 hate bandwagon imo. Sure, you could say that you don't think FF7 or FF8 are not that good of games, that's fine, but it's been a literal "it's garbage" bandwagon for awhile now. people are starting to like Beyond the Beyond which now has a dedicated website full of fans and a list that shows how its better than other PS rpgs such as Breath of Fire, Final Fantasy, and Persona. I personally think LoD is ok, but not that good. Its story was bland, and the battles got boring within the first few hours for me.

whats wrong with persona i thought it was a unique rpg yes it has loads of dialog but so do most rpgs

rawsavon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 rawsavon
[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"] The like of LoD has increased with the recent FF7 hate bandwagon imo. Sure, you could say that you don't think FF7 or FF8 are not that good of games, that's fine, but it's been a literal "it's garbage" bandwagon for awhile now.

The FF7 bandwagon is newer, but the 8 one is not...(many) people have thought that game was balls since it came out. I respect what 7 did for the genre. I just don't think the actual story and characters are any good is all
BarbaricAvatar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#47 BarbaricAvatar
Member since 2006 • 1000 Posts

Morrowind and every Final Fantasy i've played.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jakandsigz

[QUOTE="Jakandsigz"][QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

klonoafanboy122

whats wrong with persona i thought it was a unique rpg yes it has loads of dialog but so do most rpgs

Where did I say there was something wrong with it?
MudoSkills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MudoSkills
Member since 2012 • 362 Posts
I remember people getting super excited over Star Ocean 3 and I absolutely hated it. I don't generally enjoy RPG's with real time combat (I think the only ones I've ever stuck with have been Kingdom Hearts, Eternal Sonata and Ni No Kuni) and that's largely from my experience with this, seemed like it was trying to be an action game in combat, and was absolutely useless at it. Awful script too. Got bored after trying it for ten or so hours an never looked back. I'd be interested to know why some people hat Lost Odyssey so much.