RPG's that NEED to be made!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Vrygar777 (444 posts) -

I'm going to mention a lot of turn-based strategy/ Japanese developed games here, but I encourage the community to find other series that need much revitalizing. So ahem... lets get started.

1. Final Fantasy Tactics 2 - This is definitely one of those dream games that will sadly never see the light of day. If it were to ever happen it would have to be written by Yasumi Matsuno (that in itself is definitely not a huge possibility, as i've heard he has given up his "dark" style of writing) with music by Hitoshi Sakimoto and Masaharu Iwata. As far as ideas for the game, it could be a prequel to FFT set during the fifty years war or maybe after, showing what happens after Delita takes over.

2. Legend of Dragoon 2 - The original was developed by Sony I believe and its a really awesome game. I've yet to see a game with such a cool battle system (The timing mechanics[Though something similar did occur in Lost Odyssey, showing how invigorating its appearance can be]). A sequel or even prequel with modern graphics, a revamped leveling system (from what I remember only bosses could really level you up) and a better story could make this one of the best RPG's.

3. Ogre Battle Saga Episode IV (Or Whatever) - Another Matsuno written game (can you tell i'm a fan?) and a gem of a series, that has recieved very poor treatment for the quality of the games. Although a dream, another ogre battle game akin to the N64 one (person of lordly caliber) would be amazing.

4. Super Mario RPG 2 - Though technically paper mario is a spiritual successor, the original lacks a true sequel. Admittedly I havent played all the way through the original game, it still has an endearing gameplay.

5. Secret of Mana 2 - Rerelease the original on PS3 and Xbox 360 with HD support, local or online coop gameplay, and then develop another downloadable sequel. Could net a lot of money.

6. Xenogears 2 / Xenosaga 4(?) - Although a bit narrative heavy, both Xenosaga (though a bit convoluted and pretentious) and Xenogears were highly enjoyable RPG's. A narrative driven game is just what the industry needs, instead of curse-laden, bullet spraying, mindless FPS games. (Don't rant, I like FPS too lol)

While i'm sure there are many, many more worthy RPG's that deserve sequels (Chrono Trigger!!!) I'd like to discuss one more thing. Imagine how much duller these games would be with sequels. Would a sequel lessen the magic of the original, or enhance it? Its kind of the same with movies. Everyone that has seen the Disney movie "The Fox and the Hound" knows that its a pretty tragic, yet heartwarming story. Have you seen its sequel though? I sure as hell haven't. Why not? Well, though it may seem ironic some things just don't need sequels. As they say lightning doesn't strike twice.  Just something to keep in mind.

So what do you think? What are some RPG's that NEED to be made? I've named many Square/ Japanese RPG's. Whats some western RPG sequels that need to be made and why?

#2 Posted by TheDigitalDeity (7 posts) -

I have had my fair share of playing and wishing there were certain RPGs which should have been made, but I say any good RPG is one which sounds good when said, looks good when played and feels good when experienced (mostly).

I don't have much intricate knowledge about RPGs in the past, but those RPGs would have been nice to have been made.

#3 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16452 posts) -

I'd love another Chrono game (or a port of Chrono Cross to a system like 3DS). Or an Earthbound collection so I can see what the fuss is about.

#4 Posted by TheDigitalDeity (7 posts) -

Oh contraire. Earthbound is quite the ish :)

#5 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16452 posts) -

TheDigitalDeity

What do you mean? I currently have no way of playing it (not about to buy a WiiU for the sole reason of playing it either) so I'd love if they released it for a handheld.

#6 Posted by Malekoth (25 posts) -

I agree with every game on your list. I often wish alot of series hadn't ended where they did. Here is a few more I would like to add.

Tactics Ogre/ Ogre Battle

Suikoden

Breath of Fire

Shadow Hearts

Wizardry

Ultima

Lufia

Star Ocean

Lunar

I'm sure Ive forgotten some.

#7 Posted by sophia_x (2 posts) -
I would love to see a second Xenogears title.Though that might mean a prequel set before the landing on the current planet which is basically similar to Xenosaga. Not sure an RPG set in space and spaceships will be interesting. Xenosaga was dull for me.
#8 Posted by TheDigitalDeity (7 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheDigitalDeity"]

turtlethetaffer

What do you mean? I currently have no way of playing it (not about to buy a WiiU for the sole reason of playing it either) so I'd love if they released it for a handheld.

I meant that it is a great game in fact, that's all. :)

#9 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16452 posts) -

[QUOTE="turtlethetaffer"]

[QUOTE="TheDigitalDeity"]

TheDigitalDeity

I meant that it is a great game in fact, that's all. :)

Ah okay, slight misunderstanding :P

Really hope they release a handheld version. You'd think they would have by now...

#10 Posted by Skilled_Tactix (123 posts) -

FALLOUT: NEW YORK (even though theyve been researching boston)

Next elder scrolls game

World War Z as an RPG, it would be the first zombie rpg as far as im concerned (dead island does not count).

Don Felder wrote:Mirrors on the ceiling,

The pink champagne on ice
And she said 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
The stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

That is hotel california by the eagles!

#11 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16452 posts) -

FALLOUT: NEW YORK (even though theyve been researching boston)

Next elder scrolls game

World War Z as an RPG, it would be the first zombie rpg as far as im concerned (dead island does not count).

Don Felder wrote:Mirrors on the ceiling,

The pink champagne on ice
And she said 'we are all just prisoners here, of our own device'
And in the master's chambers,
They gathered for the feast
The stab it with their steely knives,
But they just can't kill the beast

That is hotel california by the eagles!

Skilled_Tactix

That is correct, good sir! I usually put some kind of cool lyric or book quote in my sig, not many people notice, so it's cool that you did :P

#12 Posted by ThrashMatt26 (8 posts) -
Knights of the Old Republic 3... too bad Bioware would be making it, was kind a hoping that CD Projekt Red would take it.
#13 Posted by Smokay310 (3 posts) -
Knights of the Old Republic 3... too bad Bioware would be making it, was kind a hoping that CD Projekt Red would take it.ThrashMatt26
Agreed! Jedi Knights of the Old Republic 1 was awesome. Instead of making a worthy sequel (dont even mention JKOTOR 2) they made SWTOR the MMO ugh. Turn base I don't know but Fallout 4, The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt (I know its being made, I can't wait), Jade Empire 2 (haters gunna hate), Kingdom Of Amalur 2 (the company died but this RPG has game of the year material there, just needs some tweaking and polishing) Elder Scrolls MMO is in the making but I want a regular RPG game, and of course Dragon Age 3 going back to ITS ROOTS not that DA2 shit. Too bad the gaming industry is focused more on military shooters than anything else right now. I wish I had RPGs being released out the ass like FPS shooter games are.