RPGs set in Modern Times

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

Are there any RPGs that are set around Modern times? The setting could be within around 10 years of the date of the games release, If the game takes place in some fictitional world, For the most part, their level of technology would be somwhere around where ours is. I can accept it if there is a nation out there that is super advanced (similar to esthar in FFVIII), I guess I can accept the occasionl Robot and Bio-weapon as well.

For the most part, they are either set in what would be considered the dark ages (the older final fantasys, elderscrolls etc) or far into the future (xenosaga, star ocean etc)

Pretty much the only one that comes to mind for me is Parasite Eve. Are there any others?

edit: after reading through this again, based on the description I gave, I guess I could include FFVII and VIII as well.

#2 Posted by funsohng (28994 posts) -
Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series. Vampire The Masquarade: Bloodlines Earthbound Alpha Protocol The World Ends With You
#3 Posted by Jehuty08 (1951 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei and Persona series. Vampire The Masquarade: Bloodlines Earthbound Alpha Protocol The World Ends With Youfunsohng

How did I forget the Persona series (especially since Im playing P4 right now :P)

#4 Posted by CRS98 (9036 posts) -
[QUOTE="funsohng"] Vampire The Masquarade: Bloodlines

Redemption takes place in the Dark Ages for half the game, modern world the other. Pretty fun game if you can get past the bugs.
#5 Posted by _BlueDuck_ (11986 posts) -

Earthbound is kind of a Japanese interpretation of Americana, based on modern times (if you count the 90s as modern still).

#6 Posted by Planeforger (16387 posts) -
Vampire Bloodlines and Alpha Protocol are the first two that come to mind. Bloodlines in particular is one of the best RPGs of all time (AP isn't bad either, but it's more of an acquired taste). Beyond that, uh...Resonance of Fate has modern weaponry, although that's set in a weird steampunk setting.
#7 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (19264 posts) -
Alpha Protocol: great narrative, gameplay programmed by a pack of shrieking baboons
#8 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

Dead Island

#9 Posted by Allicrombie (25580 posts) -
Alpha Protocol: great narrative, gameplay programmed by a pack of shrieking baboonsBlack_Knight_00
Yup.
#10 Posted by PublicNuisance (4582 posts) -

It's been mentioned more than once but Alpha protocol. Seriously underated game in my opinion. One of the few games that I felt had a great system of consequences for even the smaller choices you made.

#11 Posted by EvilSelf (3619 posts) -

Man, Earthbound was an outstanding game! Brings back memories!

#12 Posted by harb1ng3r (25 posts) -
If you're on PC, try The Secret World. It's an MMO, but the solo story is very good ==> http://youtu.be/8Nmtecmww9U