Rounding out the generation, or, To collect or not

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

Do you collect and keep your games? Or is this a completely disposable bubble gum hobby for you? Coming in at the end of this generation I've been collecting. Every single dang generation I sell all my old games to fund the purchase of a new system and new games. Then a few years or so into the new gen I get the itch to play some of those old games and by the time I get around to trying to reclaim them, they are hard to find or very expensive.

Collecting for the Wii is easy right now, Wii U is fully BC with the Wii, and the Wii library still has ample supply at retailers like Gamespot in the used games section with some really good games for really good prices. By this time next year, it's likely they will start to become harder to find, prices will go up, and no later than the start of 2015, Gamestop will likely stop accepting as trade-ins or selling them.

I've got a good chunk of what I want, at least that is available in my local area, Still looking for a few things like Tatsunoko vs Capcom, KOF Orochi Saga, Dragon's Lair Trilogy, Mad Dog McCree Collection, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Fragile, Resident Evil Archives: REmake and RE: Zero, Guilty Gear: Accent Core, Castlevania: Judgement, Lost in Shadow, and a few others. Most of the first party stuff I still want is readily available still, so no hurry there. I already have Prime Trilogy and the Op Rainfall set.

Keep in mind if you think you might want to replay some of these games that PS4 and Xbone are not in any sense BC. At the best on PS4 you may get to stream some PS3 games with Gaikai, but nothing beats actually having the game at your disposal at any time with no strings attached. So if you still have the hardware, you may want to hold onto it. As a final thought, a lot of us had a good bit of digital games this past gen, isn't it odd that the company who seems the farthest behind on this front, Nintendo, is the only one to respect our previous digital purchases and ensure we can bring them forward with us?

Heck, I can still access their previous console/handheld digital games on my new systems and buy and play them. They don't get nearly enough credit for that.

#1 Edited by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

It's frustrating. Nintendo's progressive in the one area that matters (backward compatibility for digital games), but archaic in just about every other aspect. Locking accounts and save files to the console they're created on is just dumb. I hoped they would have learned their lesson after the Wii and its disastrous DRM, but I guess not. Wish they would wise up for a change and stop making such moronic decisions.

But anyway -- I always keep my games. Never know when I'm gonna have a sudden urge to play one of them again. Been thinking of trimming my collection down to just the bare essentials, though. I like to think I'll re-play most of my games one of these days (usually try to re-play at least a few every year), but I don't know when I'll ever find the time. Might be best to part with some of them, maybe use the cash to fund buying a new console.

#2 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

@c_rake said:

It's frustrating. Nintendo's progressive in the one area that matters (backward compatibility for digital games), but archaic in just about every other aspect. Locking accounts and save files to the console they're created on is just dumb. I hoped they would have learned their lesson after the Wii and its disastrous DRM, but I guess not. Wish they would wise up for a change and stop making such moronic decisions.

Nintendo is the pimp that slaps you one night and asks where his money is, then brings you roses the next morning and promises to never hurt you again.

So long as you don't sell all your games, you're good. I just hate to see so many of us fall right back into that same trap of selling and rebuying for a higher price later. I know I regret the hell out of it.

#3 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69633 posts) -

i try to keep them, been selling a lot of my 360 games and been starting to play games on my ps3 instead. Been replaying and rebuying games for it. Though i know it's not the most economical decision, i do like replaying games and usually don't sell my games. I like having a collection, but since i have gotten a few games on my ps3 and i got ps+ i feel no need for having them on my 360

#4 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

I'm usually a box-it-up-and-save-it kind of guy, but when I went through my collection, I realized I had over 270 retail releases from this generation, and that's not even including the Wii's 58 or so which I'd already boxed up. I am thinking I am going to look over the games carefully and decide which ones I'd actually play again, and then sell the remainder on Ebay. The thing for me is -- I also have at least a couple hundred digital games, and those I find myself thinking I would go back to more frequently given their arcadey nature, and I'm sure hoping Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo don't turn into dicks about that. It's awful wondering if games you legally bought may be unavailable to you down the line, which is another reason I try not to buy digital whenever it's possible. I'm finding myself really not liking that I can't keep a hard copy of some of the generation's best games...

#5 Edited by Randolph (10423 posts) -

The thing for me is -- I also have at least a couple hundred digital games, and those I find myself thinking I would go back to more frequently given their arcadey nature, and I'm sure hoping Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo don't turn into dicks about that. It's awful wondering if games you legally bought may be unavailable to you down the line, which is another reason I try not to buy digital whenever it's possible. I'm finding myself really not liking that I can't keep a hard copy of some of the generation's best games...

Nintendo let's you carry digital games forward on both 3DS and Wii U from the previous systems. Sony wants to offer streaming of PSN and retail games through Gaikai, (which will almost certainly cost more money) MS just says "we'll try to come up with something". Yikes. Wish I had known this was going to happen last gen before I went on spending sprees on PSN and XBLA. Man, do I ever wish I had a hard copy of Shadow Complex somewhere.

#6 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69633 posts) -

I'm usually a box-it-up-and-save-it kind of guy, but when I went through my collection, I realized I had over 270 retail releases from this generation, and that's not even including the Wii's 58 or so which I'd already boxed up. I am thinking I am going to look over the games carefully and decide which ones I'd actually play again, and then sell the remainder on Ebay. The thing for me is -- I also have at least a couple hundred digital games, and those I find myself thinking I would go back to more frequently given their arcadey nature, and I'm sure hoping Microsoft, Sony, and Nintendo don't turn into dicks about that. It's awful wondering if games you legally bought may be unavailable to you down the line, which is another reason I try not to buy digital whenever it's possible. I'm finding myself really not liking that I can't keep a hard copy of some of the generation's best games...

Yeah it would suck indeed if they all just stopped doing discs all together

#7 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

You know, I used to think of myself as a collector. But age has left me much less interested in keeping a catalog of optical media around for later consumption.

I've been using Steam Sales to acquire many of the titles I previously played on console in case I ever want to replay them. But anymore, I mostly am just interested in the cool new toy rather than revisiting classic favorites. I mean I'm not selling off my first wave 360 or PS3 titles or anything. But I don't worry about keeping them the way I once did. Part of that may be the way so many developers used this gen as a way to sell us the old games in a newer "HD" collection, part of it may be that there are just so many more games coming out now a days than there were even 10 years ago.

Mostly though, the only games I go back to revisit are the big landmark titles in franchises I really love. Before Halo 4 came out, I went back and played almost every Halo game again (except Halo Wars, obviously). When Dead Rising was new I played it to the point of full game memorization. And once every so often, I like to fire it up and see if I can still pull off the old moves since it's been 6 or 7 years since it was a new title. And I've played Fallout 3 about 10 times by this point. But more and more I find I just don't revisit older titles unless they have some legacy that I want to recall or are a dear to my heart title that inched it's way into my "favorite list".

#8 Posted by lozengez (509 posts) -

Except for PC I always go with a boxed copy. The proprietary platforms don't provide enough continuity when they jump from generation to generation. I am still enjoying my backlog from 3-4 generations ago (at least), and that's only because I have the physical copy.

#9 Posted by BranKetra (47801 posts) -

I started to collect games. Once I acquire a game, I will not sell it. Once the next generations come, old games will be more difficult to find so I am going ahead and getting them. Digital game libraries are not guaranteed to be cross-console ones or even remain available in the years to come like the ones on PSN or Xbox Live. Because of that, physical disc is my preference. I only have about two dozen now, but since I will not be selling my games anymore, I will eventually have a huge library in the future which will be good to choose from and play again. It will just take some time.

#10 Posted by Vari3ty (11111 posts) -

I've been selling most of my games. Only keeping the ones I know I'll have the desire to play again, and it's a pretty small list - Red Dead Redemption and Dark Souls being the main two, and a few others besides those. I figure once I get a PC built next year I'll probably buy a fair amount of titles I've already played just to check out mods and things that weren't available on consoles.