Rocksmith 2014 - Day 1 of 60 Day Challenge

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Posted by 69ingChimpmunks (149 posts) -

I just want to say that I don't know jack about the guitar so I am really am going into this blind as a bat. I always wanted to learn how to play and after seeing all the hype around, I figured why not. So I am going to break down my first day playing the game and what I learned so far.

I started off immediately on a song and went straight to System of a Down "Hypnotize". Now, They don't just throw you into the song, They give you bits and pieces at a time. They have you complete 3 objectives before you can advance any further. Mind you that you can repeat these objectives if you want but once you completed all 3, You immediately go into the next ones and from what I have seen you can not replay previous objectives. So after a bit of playing I realized that I sucked. I had no idea which frets were which, How to perform more than one note at a time, and things of that nature. So after a bit of fooling around with the song objectives, I went to the mini games.

The mini games are not really a skill teacher but they certainly are a great way to learn how to locate strings and frets, how to hit notes faster, and are a true rest of your reflexes. That alone makes them worth playing. Now as for the lessons - The game comes with a set of lessons on how to do certain things such as carry a note. The lesson has a completion percentage so you have to play multiple times, each time getting harder and harder, in order to continue on. The lessons, at least the ones I checked out, are sort of a breeze until you get to the higher percentage of the lesson. Still, It's a good way to practice other skills if you are bored of playing mini games.

So after my first day of playing, clocking in at nearly 2 hours, I actually quite enjoyed it. My fingers are a bit numb due to all the time I spent pressing on the strings but I am sure that will change quickly. I definitely can't wait to pick it up and play again tomorrow. And with that, I will end this blog and I will post a new one at Day 10 and update you guys on my progress.

#1 Edited by Boddicker (2274 posts) -

A interesting challenge.

I played bass for around a decade before losing the love for it. I sometimes wish I would have picked up guitar instead.

Maybe I'll go down to the pawn shop and see what they have in the way of $100 or less guitars when I get a job hopefully next month.

#2 Posted by El_Zo1212o (6001 posts) -

I hope you keep up with this- I spent time with a guitar in high school, but it never really went anywhere. Since they started touting the 60-day Rocksmith thing, I've been considering buying a new guitar. It'll be cool to follow a 60-day tryout from a real person rather than a TV testimonial.

#3 Posted by 69ingChimpmunks (149 posts) -

Yeah pretty much every 60 day "testimonial" I have seen it was either from the Rocksmith site itself or it was someone who was given the item for free from Ubisoft to try out. So I figured why not post something about it considering I actually invested money into it hoping it works.

#4 Posted by Boddicker (2274 posts) -

I hope you keep up with this- I spent time with a guitar in high school, but it never really went anywhere. Since they started touting the 60-day Rocksmith thing, I've been considering buying a new guitar. It'll be cool to follow a 60-day tryout from a real person rather than a TV testimonial.

I ass-ume your younger than me (I'm 33). My rock star dreams are well behind me. I still have a bass in my parents' closet but no amp. I wonder how the Rockmith bass tones are.

I may buy Rocksmith 2014 when I get settled into my new job (wherever that will be).

#5 Edited by El_Zo1212o (6001 posts) -

@Boddicker: not by much- I'm 28(Christ!). I don't know about any Rockstar dreams, but I think it would just be something cool to learn how to do.