Reviewing a game without ever playing it.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Comptimization

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Comptimization
Member since 2015 • 25 Posts

I'd like to know about reviewing a game without ever playing it, by just watching gameplay videos and walkthroughs through youtube, will it be sufficient enough to be a the foundation and to deliver a concrete review for a game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

No. Video games are about playing them.

What you are describing is akin to watching a movie version of a book that you have to write a book report on.

Postosuchus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Postosuchus
Member since 2005 • 907 Posts

@foxhound_fox:

I'd say specific genres could be reviewed in the manner OP describes. Would a review of a Telltale game, for example, suffer that much if the reviewer didn't experience the QTEs firsthand?

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#4  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@comptimization said:

I'd like to know about reviewing a game without ever playing it, by just watching gameplay videos and walkthroughs through youtube, will it be sufficient enough to be a the foundation and to deliver a concrete review for a game.

How can you review something you know nothing about? Critics are bad as is with the own political agendas without them also not even playing the games they review.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#5 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@Postosuchus: that doesn't account for any narrative branches you might miss out on in a playthrough.

Reviewing a game without playing it makes no sense. Videos aren't enough to get the feel of a game. Having a controller in your hands is the only way.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#6 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

For most games no but if it's something like the walking dead games then sure

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#7 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Absolutely not.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#8 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@comptimization: no, that would be a false review. That's like watching a trailer of a movie and review it based on that

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

No, you wouldn't be able to give it a proper review. That would be like reviewing a movie with no sound, assuming that movie wasn't a silent film of course.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#10 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69427 Posts

Some games due to their overall lack of interactive or the need for user skill can effectively be reviewed from watching a lets play video. A game like Heavy Rain can be reviewed from just looking at the playthrough. For the folks who have played games for decades we already do this, we can tell simply by looking at the game whether or not we like it based on or gameplay experience.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b797108c254e
deactivated-5b797108c254e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#11 deactivated-5b797108c254e
Member since 2013 • 11245 Posts

Like others have said, I think it's doable for interactive stories...yeah, you might not experience all the choices but many reviewers don't replay a game 5 times to check all options anyway.

For the rest you can analyse graphics, mechanics, story but you wouldn't be able to give your opinion about the controls, immersion, or any of the other things you only experience first hand.

dylandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 dylandr
Member since 2015 • 4940 Posts

@comptimization: I'd say no because you don't really have the feel of the game by just watching (you can do it a little though like story, graphics and overall quallity of video and audio but not a full review)

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Isn't that what game sites did with the PS3 version of Skyrim?

loafofgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 loafofgame
Member since 2013 • 1742 Posts
@mastermetal777 said:

Reviewing a game without playing it makes no sense. Videos aren't enough to get the feel of a game. Having a controller in your hands is the only way.

But... but... I only have a mouse and keyboard.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#15 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Nope. Play the game yourself. Check the mechanics, see if there are bugs or not, explore the world and see how immersive the game is etc. Also play it multiple times if possible to check its replay value. Games aren't movies.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10434 Posts

in most cases no. it's like reviewing a dish in a restaurant by watching someone else eat. there's certain things you can pick up on but you don't get a true sense of the quality until you taste it yourself. having said i'm sure many people wade into threads on these forums with strong opinions about games they haven't played. i wonder how many vitriolic opinions i've read regarding the order 1886 for example are based on a personal play through and not the result of watching a few clips on youtube

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#17 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

I don't know why you would want to do that. I mean, I guess you could watch enough gameplay and read up on its Wikipedia page enough to bullshit a seemingly legitimate review. I think it kind of goes against what I review should be- a person's firsthand experience of whatever it is they're reviewing. But I guess that's not what you're asking.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#18 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

@comptimization: You could probably get away with it, but what would be the use?

mgools

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 mgools
Member since 2005 • 1301 Posts

Impossible if the person is honest. Review of games is about playing it, and not watching it.

Old_Gooseberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

#20 Old_Gooseberry
Member since 2002 • 3958 Posts

Some games trying to make a review just off a video will not work.

In some games i've seen videos of and thought they'd suck terribly and played them and ended up loving them. First time this happened was when i saw FF8 video ads on tv i was sure the game would be awful, and ended up playing it and getting sucked into it and buying the game after i rented it.

You can probably judge some games by videos like Call of Duty games because u know exactly how each one plays from year to year and there isn't much to them except linear gameplay and same graphics each year. I don't even bother reading reviews on them anymore, just a quick video and i know its the same junk as last year.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope.......

Not a review..... its only enough for an oppinion....

Funfact..... I reviewed Dark Souls without even seeing it....... :)