Resident Evil Revelations revealed

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#1 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

Anyone getting this and RE 1 HD? Seems to me that Capcom is redoing some of their older properties

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

isn't it Resident Evil Revelations 2 ?

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

Oh man, I hope they give Quint Cetcham a (bigger) starring role in this one!

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#4 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Nope, you went back in time my friend. Welcome to 2011.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44100 Posts

Oh yeah I'm definitely going to get both Resident Evil remaster and Revelations 2. I really enjoyed the first Revelations.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 The_Last_Ride

@Lulu_Lulu said:

it's still an older title that was made for handheld

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

It seemed like the guys that did Revelations knew a lot more about making a good RE game than whoever did 6. I kinda missed it on the first pass, ignoring pretty much all RE outside of the numbered games, but having played it recently, it was really good and a throwback to what made me enjoy the franchise in the first place. Cheesy but entertaining story, contiguous game environment (if you take out the episode breaks, the level design really feels like an old-school RE game) and no Las Plagas.

But this is a franchise I would like to see rebooted entirely. Continuity-wise it's a mess thanks to the complete lack of planning from the very beginning. It could just use a do-over...go back to the roots - urban environments, zombies, no tentacles. I know that last one will be hard for a japanese company, so maybe a US team should handle it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Last_Ride

@Ish_basic said:

It seemed like the guys that did Revelations knew a lot more about making a good RE game than whoever did 6. I kinda missed it on the first pass, ignoring pretty much all RE outside of the numbered games, but having played it recently, it was really good and a throwback to what made me enjoy the franchise in the first place. Cheesy but entertaining story, contiguous game environment (if you take out the episode breaks, the level design really feels like an old-school RE game) and no Las Plagas.

But this is a franchise I would like to see rebooted entirely. Continuity-wise it's a mess thanks to the complete lack of planning from the very beginning. It could just use a do-over...go back to the roots - urban environments, zombies, no tentacles. I know that last one will be hard for a japanese company, so maybe a US team should handle it.

Anyone can do a better RE than what Capcom did with 6

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

True.... but thats only because "President Evil" has low standards in the gameplay department.

Sometimes one has to choose between a President Evil game or a Good Game..... ;p

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 The_Last_Ride

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@The_Last_Ride

True.... but thats only because "President Evil" has low standards in the gameplay department.

Sometimes one has to choose between a President Evil game or a Good Game..... ;p

or just avoid it?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@The_Last_Ride

Oh Right... I never thought of that.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19563 Posts

@Ish_basic: I have to say, I preferred Resident Evil 6 over RE Revelations.

Honestly, I don't think they're very different. They're both shooters with similar gameplay (although RE6 has vastly superior controls). They're both cheesey (although Revelations has *terrible* writing/characters, while RE6 was tolerable). They both feature the same sort of "enter this arena, kill waves of enemies" set pieces that has been a staple of the series since RE4. Neither game is like the earlier RE games - you could say Revs is closer in tone, but it's about the same as Leon's mission in RE6.

But then, Revelations is much more limited than RE6. The levels were tiny and poorly designed, offering almost no freedom to the player. I remember bits of Revelations that were literally corridor shooters set in broad daylight. Then there were difficulty spikes, an awkward episodic structure, bullet-sponge bosses...

I don't know, I just didn't see Revs as being a great change to the series. It's cool as a handheld equivalent of RE6, but it's definitely the weaker game in my eyes.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Ish_basic

RE6 has its share of bullet sponges. And they sorta just come at you like nothing can hurt them until they just suddenly die. I appreciated that Revelations enemies actually had weak points that could bring enemies down, stun them, stagger, etc. Even the bosses. It also is very frustrating about you jumping through its hoops...so, say shooting down helicopters...well only when it wants you to, otherwise that helicopter will just stay on fire, absorbing your bullets forever. The game felt so much like they wanted to do a movie, but capcom forced them to do a game, so they were gonna take out their frustrations with that on gamers.

The way that I think revelations is similar to older games (like PS1 older) is that you have a continuous environment that you can always go back and forth through rather than one-off stages. Even if it is broken apart into episodes, you still get a world, whereas RE6 you just get a level. I hate that. I feel like the RE franchise was groundbreaking precisely because of the way it went away from levels and I've hated to see the franchise get away from that. Revelations still has the episodic structure but it's really just window dressing as functionally the world is very similar to early RE games.

Also, most importantly, the enemies behaved more like old school RE enemies. That Las Plagas shit is nowhere in sight. The more common enemies behave like zombies and bullets to the head bring them down quickly....and that's important - bullets to the head kill zombies; they don't spawn an insect or tentacle. No bugs, no cave trolls...the more Japan has tried to reinvent the zombie, the worse this franchise has gotten. So it was nice to go back to simpler times.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lulu_Lulu

@Ish_basic

Well to be fair, outside of The Helicopter all the enemies and Bossess could be staggered and Stunned without much trouble excluding Ustanak and The Lepotitsa.

As for the Zombies, what joy is there in shooting a brain dead slow ass zombie and seeing it die ? how is a much more dynamic enemy horrible ? I guess the only assumption I can make that won't insult you is you probably don't like fire fights of any kind.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Oh yeah I'm definitely going to get both Resident Evil remaster and Revelations 2. I really enjoyed the first Revelations.

There is going to be a Revelations 2? SWEET! I hope that the aiming isn't as goofy as the HD ports for Revelations was. It wasn't horrible but you could feel that the aiming felt off when compared to RE5, RE6 and every other shooter.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@-ParaNormaN-

I want the Classic Laser Targeting system to return... I hate cross hairs... Infact I never appreciated HUDS, even the ones for ammo.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@Lulu_Lulu: Definitely! I appreciated that target system a lot more and was bummed out when they didn't put it in Revelations. I enjoyed using it in Resident Evil 6 and liked that it was optional to have a crosshair or the laser.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Ish_basic

So, more info on Revelations 2:

news

Is it me, or is anyone else getting a "last of us" vibe from the description?

Also, need some opinions:

The story will take place between the events of Resident Evil 5 and Resident Evil 6. Gameplay will also allegedly be "much more survival horror orientated."

Is "orientated" a word? I always cringe when I hear it, but apparently it might be British. Damn Brits with their "shoppes" and superfluous u's. Internet wasn't much help on this one.