Resident Evil 7 – Revival Horror in Survival Horror

• 50 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

creepychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 creepychainsaw
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts

Resident Evil has had its residency for being a landmark in survival horror removed and buried deep beneath its flaws. Games such as Amnesia laugh at its attempts to “scare” and gamers have turned their noses at a series that’s overdosed on guns and filmic dressage. As if the series, beloved by horror fans, wandered into the crossfires of Battlefield and Call of Duty and said, “I can be just like them”; forgetting that all it starts off with is a Combat Knife and Ink Ribbon. But this is where the series is. An action/adventure shoot-em-up that has murdered way more than half of its horror and pits you against wave upon wave of combat efficient infected soldiers all under the bright outdoors of massive environments. Revival

Those of you who love and care about the series will already know what it’s become now and many have abandoned all hope for it ever being anything like its former self. I do not blame you. So, as a devoted fan to a dying series, I want to talk about the future of it. The Resident Evil 7 that is quite possibly being talked about now by its creators: Capcom.

“In the future, the Resident Evil series will discover new possibilities and progress as a title that can compete globally without disappointing any expectations…” – statement by Capcom

So with Capcom seeking to progress the series, here are the ways, going forward, that NEED to happen (in my opinion) in some top notch way in order for Resident Evil to take back its survival horror throne down in the dungeon:

Survival Horror

Just be scary again. Even if your next instalment is only three hours long, make it the most three hours of pure terror you can ever put a gamer through. RE needs to stop thinking big and wake us up in an isolated, dank, atmospheric location that is rich with dread and oozing a dark history. Combine that with a constant pursuing threat, perhaps, reminiscent of Nemesis and not throw us a hulking tank at expected moments like Ustanak. Make us work bloody tooth and nail for ammo, herbs, keys, everything and enhance the risk value. Make us question again whether it’s wiser to conserve handgun bullets or clear the room. Capcom, if you do not get survival horror right for RE7, you are seriously heading in the wrong direction and “You Are Dead” will be the only fitting words for your franchise.

Exploration

When RE6 introduced the waypoint like mechanic I nearly threw up. This completely tarnishes any incentive to go and poke around off the beaten track in hope of some extra ammo or health. Not that you would want to do that in any of the more recent entries as your reward for exploration is virtually gone. Your ammo is always sky high, boxes containing said ammo and health are littered in plain sight and no one wants to go about shooting plates with BSAA symbols on them. Bring back the sense of exploring a terrifying environment. The mansion in RE gave it to you gift wrapped and if you can recreate that in RE7, do it immediately. Do not hurry us on to the next place, keep us rooted and hunting; scavenging to survive against abominable terrors we might face next. I want to be sweating buckets and stressed out my arse rather than on auto pilot with my heavy machine gun.

The Threats

RE made zombies petrifying; a force to be reckoned with rather than a force to laugh at (Dead Rising). One thing that isn’t funny though, having enemies that shoot you and duck for cover in a RE game. It ruined the final act of RE4, destroyed RE5 and made Chris’s campaign in RE6 a complete joke. We need the Lisa Trevors, a bubonic Tyrant, zombies that pursue you from room to room eager to disembowel you and just bring back the Lickers and their iconic noises. Your monsters are the key to giving us the fear. Make them, all of them, hurt you bad. I want the creatures that soak up your bullets to return and I want them to be absolutely horrific in nature. Even if you just made every enemy some form of creature, it would still please me and your series as a whole. No gun totting enemies will be met with gratitude.

Out with the new, in with the old

I cannot think of another series where gamers have beckoned so much for the old over the new than with RE. And they are all one hundred percent right. Capcom is so addicted to finding new possibilities they are constantly rewriting mechanics that do not need to be touched. For example, a controversial shout out, fixed camera. A beautiful mechanic back in the day that forced the horror into your face in a good way. You had to plan; take a big gulp and step into the next part of the screen all senses blazing. If you want to try something new Capcom, adapt something you still hold the crown for. A CCTV like mechanic that’s easy to manoeuvre but restricts and strangles our senses. Don’t get me wrong, you were right to ditch some stuff such as the way we open doors or climb stairs (such a novelty). Other mechanics I would love to see a return are an inventory system like RE4 only much more restrictive, typewriters WITH Ink Ribbons would be fascinating to explore in this era, memorable/horrific sound tracks to name but a few.

Be Resident Evil again – Resident Evil 7: The predecessor of Resident Evil

Your worlds and plot do not orbit around familiar characters. Put Chris Redfield in as many games as you like but your still not going to hide the fact that the story is awful. Go back and explore experimental mishaps perhaps combined with a supernatural element? Chemistry meets alchemy with terrifying, nightmarish consequences (anyone who has seen the gameplay of what Resident Evil 4 WAS going to be can see what I am talking about here). You don’t even need to take the premise too seriously. I know you want to create a realistic horror but sometimes the unbelievable can weigh more on the shock scales.

It’s not all hopeless and unobtainable. The release of Resident Evil: Revelations blew a breeze of fresh air into our faces covered in gunpowder from the last one before it. It was scary, it brought back the monsters; it was evil. It was as close as a true Resident Evil game that we have seen in a long long time and currently that’s the newest entry. Have Capcom finally looked down upon their virus covered series and sought out a cure that will enable Resident Evil 7 to finally be the one that saves the series? Or will RE think of another Operation Raccoon City and make an online only game complete with Barry Burton Deathmatches or Capture the T-virus (G-virus whatever the hell it is now). Let me know your feelings and tell me what needs to be done.

Thank you.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#2 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Let me be perfectly blunt when I say this:

Resident Evil has never been scary.

That being said, I love the series. I've played most of the main games (I think the only ones I'm missing are 3 and Code Veronica, as well as 6) and they are all fun for different reasons. That being said, none of the games are scary, at all. Granted, REmake has a superb atmosphere; it's incredibly intense at times and has terrific production values. It's creepy as hell (plus dat Lisa Trevor) and manages a few good creep out moments, but even then, at the pinnacle of the series scare factor, it doesn't hold a candle to something like Silent hill 3. RE4 also managed to be creepy at a few points (one of the final hallways near the end of the game in a prison block is still very creepy) but again never scary.

Honestly, the series has such a ridiculous plot that it's nearly impossible to take seriously. I used to think it was the cat's meow but let's be honest; it's pure cheese. For better or worse, the plot has ALWAYS been ridiculous. That's why I don't mind the shift away from "horror." The dialogue is bad, the plots are nonsensical (seriously, how many times does Wesker need to die?) and... Well, all I need to say is Barry Burton. The fact that the games have shifted away from horror isn't such a huge deal simply because I could never invest myself into the story because it's so ridiculous.

All that being said, I think that a return to the more traditional gameplay could be interesting. I pretty much enjoy RE in any form, be it survival "horror", behind the shoulder action or even rail shooting (I really enjoyed both of the Chronicles games on the Wii). Much like the monsters, the series is very adaptable, enough so that any genre doesn't seem out of place to me.

That's my two cents on the subject. I know a lot of people think the old games are scary, but I don't. Therefor, do what you will, Capcom.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#3 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@creepychainsaw: I don't really have anything to add, I just wanted to say that I thought your thread title was clever. :)

creepychainsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 creepychainsaw
Member since 2013 • 52 Posts

@turtlethetaffer:

Thanks for your two cents mate. And thank you for reading it.

It would appear you are a fan of the Silent Hill series as much as I am (seen some of your comments) and I will be writing some form of blog on that particular series that has also verged away from its brilliant horror in my opinion.

SH and RE are both separated by their form of horror: psychological versus physical (even though one could argue SH plays to both of these strengths). I would agree that SH is a far more suspenseful and terrifying experience due to its connotations and gorgeously grotesque monster designs, but RE was a genuinely frightening experience not just from its premise but simply from the way you played the game (back in the day at least). I think it has the potential to be a truly petrifying experience again if it just stopped getting bigger and bigger and feeling like it needs to suit everyone.

Have you heard of The Evil Within? From what I have seen of it so far, it could very much give both RE and SH a run for its money in the horror department. Very excited for that title.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Imo, just repackage RE2 with RE4 gameplay and I'll be there on day 1. I personally think that starting with Code Veronica, the franchise started to take itself too seriously and it tried to be clever with its plot....and failed miserably. You can see it with the Wesker's Reports that they issued inbetween releases trying to iron out the wrinkles...**** that. You're RE - the wrinkles are just a part of your charm. Just go back to not taking yourself seriously and go back to the roots of what inspired this game - zombies. Not tentacles or head parasites or bio-weapons or midgets in napoleon outfits - zombies.

Fixed camera is a no, though. No fun to walk into something you should be able to see because it's actually right in front of your character, but you can't see it because the camera is fixed. They did that because of graphical limitations. Pre-rendered backgrounds were a great stop-gap when technology wasn't strong enough to achieve a high level of detail in both your environments and character models, but they are unnecessary anymore. Besides, over the shoulder is much more personal.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Lets start with the recent stuff:

1st off, President Evil wasn't always during Daylight Hours except for 5, and Didn't Always pit you against soldiers with guns infact half of them used improvised weapons.

And health was way to far apart, its not the pharmacy you make it out to be, finding herbs was a pain. Infact L4D's AI Director was far more generous regarding health items.

2, Survival Horror is a niche genre, and its not within Capcom's best interest to use their inhouse studios for niche games, thats what independent studios are for (not really but you get the basic Idea).

Okay, now for your "suggestions":

Survival Horror:

Now I'm all down for Horror but this survival, counting resources bullsh!t is just straight up annoying and forced, they think they can make a generic zombie scary by not letting you kil it, stupid monsters like that should'nt exist in the 1st place, what you want is a monster thats scary even if you had a bazooka, a monster that defies all your preconveived knowledge about logic and headshots. I'm not suggesting they add more guns and ammo, on the contrary, I'd rather they get rid of the concept entirely. No weapons what so ever, no offense, just running away and hiding, its miles better than "I'm so scared I have no bullets left to kill this slow moving armless zombie" thats just frustrating, and lazy. Fear is irrational, if you run away because you don't have the resources then you're not scared, its a tactical retreat, you'd do the eact same thing if you ran out bullets in CoD and the fact that logic is still the number factor dictating your actions is proof that a horror game as failed, you're not suppose to use logic when you're afraid, you're supposed shoot wildy at inanimate objects and run with out looking probably backwards. I wana be jumping at shadows not doing fucking inventory .

The Threats:

Zombies are unintelligent, undead, slow moving creatures that attack with overwhelming force, I don't care how many bullets I have left those fuckers are the least scariest creatures in anything, encountering one is more of a nuissance than a thrill, I hate them, new and old, they all suck. Some more intelligent ,monstrosities would be nice, speaking of Which, the Rasklapanjes from Preident Evil 6 were pretty sweet, they tear their own arms off and throw them at you to immobalize you then they'l finnish you off, dare I say they were better than the regenerator from President Evil 4, yes. Rasklapanje is miles better, it doesn't die... ever, attacking one creates 4 possible new threats to deal with when you dismember it. Wesker wasn't a bad monster either. I liked him in Chapter 5-3.

The Old:

Now being unable to see because its Dark (early Doom 3) or Foggy (know any foggy games ? silent hill ?), is miles better than that cheap camera trick from old President Evil games. Its annoying, and extremely unintuitive, control wise because of all the compensating you have to do for the ever changing angles ( you're right becomes your left your up become you down and many other combos), not to mention it makes attacking/defending difficult for all the wrong reasons. President Evil 4's inventory system was complicated just for the sake of being complicated, it wasn't even in real time, it was a seperate menu all on its own and the game pauses and gives you ample time to play tetris with your resources, Dead Space and President Evil 5 executed inventory management in a far more intuitive, simple, real time way complete with D-Pad Quick Switching. Not to mention the craptacular controls, limited mobilty, trial and error bullsh!t and other stuff I'm forgetting. Those are old things only nostalgic masochists enjoy.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 19564 Posts

You're basically asking the new Resident Evil to be something that the series never was. Resident Evil was always an action-heavy survival horror game - the plot and setting of the original game being full of super soldiers, ridiculously large weapons, and hulking mutant monsters. It was always the B-grade action movie that it was today, especially compared to the game it entirely ripped off - Alone in the Dark.

Also, Resident Evil Revelations attempted most of these things and ended up being fairly crap. The horror setting wasn't scary (although it was still as funny as the earlier games), the exploration was dull, the enemies were too easy to kite, and the new characters were all hilariously bad.

These features alone aren't going to save Resident Evil. If they're done really well, maybe they'll earn back the respect of some fans...but then again, the action-heavy games were some of the best selling in the series, so maybe moving away from that would only hurt their sales.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Planeforger

As for the camera discussion...the over-the-shoulder view is one of the only great innovations in the entire series (assuming RE4 did it first). Why on earth would they get rid of it now?

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11  Edited By kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

I don't think resident evil 7 will revival old school horror

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#12 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

@creepychainsaw: Ya Horror within looks ace. Hopefully it's done right.
To me, SH is closer to its roots than RE. Downpour and even Homecoming were still decent installments even though they aren't the best.

Let me put it this way: No one is going to mistake Silent Hill Downpour for a generic third person shooter.

And SH is scary because of the supernatural aspect. With RE, you pretty much have every monster and location explained for you, and they are just undead things infected with viruses. In SH, the monsters are abominations, demons from someone's mind manifested in the physical form. Not only that, but SH (especially 3) has some downright sublime environmental design. It balances out the mundane locations with the hellish otherworld ones, and both sets are effective for different reasons. With RE, it's pretty much always just one location covered in blood and monsters.

IDK, to me, the original RE has not aged well. It's just cheesy as hell and not very scary. As I said, REmake is far superior since its atmosphere is actually really creepy. But I played Silent Hill 3 for the first time in 2012 and it scared the ever loving bejesus out of me. I never got that way when I played the RE games, and I did that when I was much, much younger and more susceptible to being scared.

GuitarSmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 GuitarSmash
Member since 2013 • 274 Posts

Evil Within = Revival of Survival Horror

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I would say that Horror is the biggest problem with the RE games from 4 to 6. The urge to scare the player is a huge problem that need to be overcome. To scare the player they need to hurt the game play. I have enjoyed survival "horror" games with little to no horror, but I hate most horror focus games because I get bored with them and quit playing. I have yet to see a way that a horror games scares me that is different than any game out there without hurting the game play. I am never going to play another Silent Hill game again. I would just skip it and watch a horror movie since they make better using of being interactive.

I hope they focus back on surviving a horror movie like the easily games were. For example ammo should not just come from instance vaporizes enemies. There are better games better shooters out there.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lulu_Lulu

@ dvader654

He wanted scary, so yeah **** guns ! If the DNA must die for the sake of horror then so be it.

As for the controls, if they remained that way then they are ridiculous, hows one suppose to pull off a headshot from an isometric perspective ?

And I brought up the President Evil 4's Attache case because creepychainsaw did: "Other mechanics I would

love to see a return are an inventory system like RE4 only much more restrictive"

can I go home now Mr. Vader sir ?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

@ dvader654

This whole Clinging desperately to what makes a franchise unique is giving Capcom a headache.

as for the old school stuff Then He should play those games again if he thinks they're so good. No need bother those who like better gameplay, better design. We didn't even ask for it, it was all Capcoms Idea.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

I can honestly say that Resident Evil was never really scary, maybe back when I was 10, but thats about it. RE,3, and 4 were just fun games to play. I do agree with some points, but not all of them.

Some how with how bad RE6 was as a RE game, I honestly feel that Capcom doesn't know what to do with the franchise anymore. The series have been running for a long time now, almost 20 years! with so many installments, its as if they were struggling to figure out what kind of story they are trying to tell, maybe just a bit of confusion, but its very clear in some way.

One thing personally I'm confused with is some of the characters that just dissapeared like nothing ever happend to them. Rebecca & Barry to name a few. Unless I missed something tho I played all the RE games, I wonder what happend to these characters.

This is rare of me saying this, but if somehow making a RE7 is not looking good, then perhaps (and I really mean perhaps) Capcom should consider rebooting the franchise. If they reboot the franchise now, they probably can set a real well thought out story for the franchise, the way the story is going now after 6, felt a bit empty and underwhelming for me, of course not everyone will agree.

I want to see a more interesting RE from back in the day, but with great gameplay mechanics and a strong story to back it up. If rebooting the franchise will grant me this, then I'm all for it.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Lulu_Lulu

@ dvader654

Survival Horror and good gameplay is a paradox, especially in president Evil's case.

Anyway, I'l play whatever, as long as the keep the co-op. No matter the camera angle or bullets or level design, or whatever it is people are so nostalgic about, just weave some co-op in there and I'm good.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Lulu_Lulu

@ dvader654

People say the samething about Dark Souls, the common denominator: Masochists.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Lulu_Lulu

@ dvader654

I'm a Sadist !

Guess which game I like ! :p

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#26  Edited By bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

The real question is should Resident Evil just be left alone now and move on????

Thats the true question,

What they should of done in the beginning is follow suit with what was happening,

Resident Evil One - The mansion

Resident Evil 2 - Racoon City

Resident Evil 3 - The state

Resident Evil 4 - The Country

now that would of been a great concept, don't get me wrong i loved resident evil 4 but it just felt so out of place when you consider the other games were about zombies, it could of just been a standalone game, and so could 5, never played 6.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#27  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

There are only a few RE games that I found to be scary, but not because of atmosphere or anything. RE2 had Mr. X which was more of a fun kind of scary. RE3 had the fucking Nemesis. That guy... THAT GUY was such an asshole. He was the only RE character I was actually scared of showing up. How he was able to chase you through any room was damn brilliant. I screamed when he would follow me through 5 rooms straight. RE:CV was the best atmosphere horror game. It had the best camera angles like, under the stairs going into that security room or whatever after running into Steve. The path leading to the Ashford manshion where you're kind of on a cliff and it's foggy, and when you get to a certain point the camera zooms in and reveals zombies or other monsters are right in front of you. That game rules. The REmake was pretty sweet too. Every RE game before, after, and in between weren't that fascinating though. All of them are fun but not scary or as mysterious as everyone makes them out to be. It just felt that way because we were kids playing that shit. If they updated the graphics to current gen while keeping the controls and everything else the same, do you really think we would like them still? The answer, **** no. It'd be thrown out so damn fast. It would have stopped at RE1.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

They said the same about Re 6, look how that turned out.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#29 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Resident Evil needs solid production values and a small(er) development team with a focused vision to make it good again, not going back to its roots which, incidentally, are often exaggerated by the fanbase.

As much as I love (adore) the series let's be honest, they're hardly scary. This notion that it suddenly changed into an action series is ridiculous. You've always shot giant monsters in the face in the most utterly ludicrious B-movie settings they could possibly muster up. Remember that the first game ended with you running from an exploding mansion and shooting a hulking mutant with a four barreled rocket launcher? How about RE3 where you started off by jumping out of an exploding building with an assault rifle?

RE's fright factor is mostly hyperbole at this point. I remember being scared shitless when I played RE2 for the first time, but that's because I was 10. Fun fact, my 10 year old cousin is scared to death by RE6. A lot of what made RE great to us adults all those years ago are things we're completely exaggerating now.

Example, OP writes "RE made zombies petrifying" and nostalgia might tell you it did, but how many of you have played those games recently? Seriously, you can just run around them. Encounters either have clear paths to escape or you can just kite them into attacking you and then slowing moving around them as they recover. Sometimes they even fall down.

Compare to that to the zombies in RE6 which run and jump at you, and it's about the same. The only real difference being that Leon did some stretches before hand and is more limber himself.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

To the credit of RE6, post major patch, Leon's campaign in RE6 is freaking great. I loved it.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@Randolph said:

To the credit of RE6, post major patch, Leon's campaign in RE6 is freaking great. I loved it.

Leon is probably the best campaign, the rest were very so-so

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

@GuitarSmash said:

Evil Within = Revival of Survival Horror

this. I can kind of care less about RE when Mikami moved on. The fact that he's creating a survival horror as his final title is huge. been one of my most anticipated since it's announcement as Project Zwei.

WR_Platinum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 WR_Platinum
Member since 2003 • 4685 Posts

The series was never scary.

Capcom just needs to simply make RE7 more suspenseful and harder to beat. Address some of the other characters they just left in the air like Rebecca Chambers and Barry Burton which unless i'm wrong, they are still alive.

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Planeforger

@WR_Platinum: Honestly, if they make Barry the star of RE7, give him heaps of cheesey linee, and turn it into a really polished shooter like RE4, it should sell like crazy.

RE6's biggest problem wasn't the tone or lack of horror - it was more that the game featured tons of content by trying to appeal to everyone, and not all of the content was well-polished. If they just picked one type of campaign and made every section as good as RE6's best sections, RE7 would be excellent.

dethtrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 dethtrain
Member since 2004 • 570 Posts

Are they supposed to be scary? What defines scary anyway? As opposed to something being horrific?

Not sure if the static cameras would work again, unless it was done similar too God of War where the camera had angles but still floated around a bit. I think over the shoulder is still a good perspective and could work (with out the tank controls) like it did for Dead Space.

And they definitely need weapons. I don't think it would be well received if they went the way of Outlast (no weapons or fighting back - just running), but they really should go back to sparse resources. In the original game STARS were cops, and cops generally only carry a certain amount of magazines and what not on their body. If they had an inventory system like the recent Alone in the Dark: Inferno addition I think that would work pretty well. But that also brings me to who the next protagonist should be - firearm trained mecenary/law enforcement or John Q public who has maybe fired a handgun a few times? Do you have the sluggishness of a Harry Mason or the reaction of Marcus Fenix? I think overall players might find gameplay mechanics to be frustrating if they chose a Harry Mason character but would find the game simple or not suspenseful with a Marcus Fenix character. Then again maybe an Isaac Clarke would be the middle ground? Whatever they choose they have to make challenging enemies based on the capabilities or restrictions of the protagonists.

I think claustrophobic environments are generally make these games more terrifying than open outdoor areas. But... the Silent Hill games did a real good job when you were wandering out in the town.

Enemy placement should be somewhat random and there shouldn't be a lot of AI scripting in the game. Each play-through should feel slightly different IMO.

Most actions should be real time (no game pausing when searching for inventory, reading or interacting with objects).

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@Gargus: If you have nothing to contribute to the actual topic of the thread, DO NOT POST IN IT. This is Games Discussion forum. The person you responded to is on topic and contributing to the actual discussion. This is not Pick A Fight For No Reason forum. This is your absolute last warning.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Resident Evil is a series in a desperate need of reboot.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@Planeforger said:

You're basically asking the new Resident Evil to be something that the series never was. Resident Evil was always an action-heavy survival horror game - the plot and setting of the original game being full of super soldiers, ridiculously large weapons, and hulking mutant monsters. It was always the B-grade action movie that it was today, especially compared to the game it entirely ripped off - Alone in the Dark.

Also, Resident Evil Revelations attempted most of these things and ended up being fairly crap. The horror setting wasn't scary (although it was still as funny as the earlier games), the exploration was dull, the enemies were too easy to kite, and the new characters were all hilariously bad.

These features alone aren't going to save Resident Evil. If they're done really well, maybe they'll earn back the respect of some fans...but then again, the action-heavy games were some of the best selling in the series, so maybe moving away from that would only hurt their sales.

I thought about this and agree.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 wiouds

Focusing on the horror and scaring the player hurts the game play. The most common way that games get horror is to have an unrealistically weak character or jump scares. RE games should be Survival Horror. The feeling of being creepy setting slowly weakens to when you do not care. I would like for them to focus more on trying to survive than being scary. The most unnerving part of the RE games is when you go up against a monster when you down to only a few rounds of ammo. I also feels that way in FPS when I go up against a tank with only small arms.

@Flubbbs said:

Resident Evil is a series in a desperate need of reboot.

No, I like what they are doing with the setting as a whole. We are seeing a world that was changes by RE1, Re2, and RE3. Unlike most horror games where it a reboot each new game.

CTR360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 CTR360
Member since 2007 • 9150 Posts

i hope capcom change RE SERIES better senario puzzles graphics atmosphere

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts

ditch the horrible chapter clearing nonsense, it turns survival horror into a cheap arcade game. The original PS games, RE, RE2, RE Nemesis all had the classic drop you into hell, escape feeling with only the novel typewriter save spots as if you're leaving a record of you last words to the world etc... that original feeling of immersion and continuity or consequence has been lost. That's one of the things I miss the most, the feeling of having to escape and not like modern games of having cutscenes, chapter breaks and other such nonsense breaking up the flow of the game and shattering the feeling of being in the game world. There's this tendency to make the games feel like interactive movies to the point of ripping the player from the game over and over... drop you back in, pull you back out, drop you back in, pull you back out. The original games made you play all the way through to the end and you felt like you never left the game from start to finish.

Almost all modern games follow the same stupid chapter break nonsense which I despise.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 wiouds

@yixingtpot said:

ditch the horrible chapter clearing nonsense, it turns survival horror into a cheap arcade game. The original PS games, RE, RE2, RE Nemesis all had the classic drop you into hell, escape feeling with only the novel typewriter save spots as if you're leaving a record of you last words to the world etc... that original feeling of immersion and continuity or consequence has been lost. That's one of the things I miss the most, the feeling of having to escape and not like modern games of having cutscenes, chapter breaks and other such nonsense breaking up the flow of the game and shattering the feeling of being in the game world. There's this tendency to make the games feel like interactive movies to the point of ripping the player from the game over and over... drop you back in, pull you back out, drop you back in, pull you back out. The original games made you play all the way through to the end and you felt like you never left the game from start to finish.

Almost all modern games follow the same stupid chapter break nonsense which I despise.

I agree mostly. If Silent Hill games are like The Shining then the RE games are like Predator. It always been about bada** in a problem they just scrapped by. One different is that I do not have a problem with the cut scene since even the first one had them.

Survival should be the main focus of the games. The problem is that I do not think they can go back to the old system of wondering around a confided space with few fights. Today, we have great third person shooters and a zombie game about bashing zombies with what every you can get. Where does RE fit in today? What game play can be done

For the saving I understand the two side from it suck to have limit location and time you can save. Having location where you can not save is a problem add tension to the game but not the paranoia that permadeath brings. I say have a smart phone where you can save when the three bars are full.

yixingtpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 yixingtpot
Member since 2005 • 1484 Posts
@wiouds said:

@yixingtpot said:

I agree mostly. If Silent Hill games are like The Shining then the RE games are like Predator. It always been about bada** in a problem they just scrapped by. One different is that I do not have a problem with the cut scene since even the first one had them.

Survival should be the main focus of the games. The problem is that I do not think they can go back to the old system of wondering around a confided space with few fights. Today, we have great third person shooters and a zombie game about bashing zombies with what every you can get. Where does RE fit in today? What game play can be done

For the saving I understand the two side from it suck to have limit location and time you can save. Having location where you can not save is a problem add tension to the game but not the paranoia that permadeath brings. I say have a smart phone where you can save when the three bars are full.

yeah even the early RE games had so called cutscenes relative to those times but it wasn't so disruptive and you still played the entire way through the game and only paused to do the typewriter type save spots with that cool 'safety' zone soundtrack music which is still cool to this day. I like your smart phone save concept, anything is better than the chapter clear auto save stuff, or re-spawn nonsense which comes straight from horrible PC shooter short attention span gaming. Too much of the PC shooter mentality has been forced onto console gaming, people are too lazy to read, too lazy or dumb to figure out puzzles, too boring to demand interesting BOSS fights because all they want to do is some war mongering frag-fest of endless online sportsmanship.

If modern gamers like PC FPS and want to join some tournament to make money as a pro-FPS gamer then that's a virtual sport. I just want to enjoy a great story and a great game again.

PlayerUpcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By PlayerUpcom
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

The story is the primary problem in our opinion.

When was the last time a lead character "good guy" died in this game?

Answer = Never

The series was heading in the right direction until after Resident Evil 4. They decided to instead focus more on action rather than making a good story which helped them short term but is setting them up for a franchise downfall.

The death of Albert Wesker was a big mistake. Specifically the way they killed Albert Wesker off was the primary issue. What they should have done was brought everyone back to fight a great battle against Albert Wesker killing off many characters concluding the first chapter of the series so they could move forward . Instead they killed him off in what was by far the most unrealistic death I have seen in a game. A 1 and 10000 odds of happening type situation happened at the end of Resident Evil 5.

The game to me is like the TV Show Heroes. What happened to that series? Well it slowly died off. Yes I am aware they are making a small comeback but only until NBC cancelled the show did they realize that the story is what killed the show.

How can they fix this? There are many ways you can go about doing this. Bring Albert Wesker back scarred dis-figured, or give his death meaning to something bigger, or start making the story shocking and unpredictable, and/or move the series to an apocalyptic type scenery. The same predictable overwhelming odds in which the heroes find a way to rise up and defeat the enemy story is what has made the game less interesting.

If the game continues this same path, then they should expect sales to drop and the series to eventually fade off as their is plenty of competition out there with better games as of recent that are worth investing time into over Resident Evil.

Clash of Clans Account

Game of War Accounts

Castle Clash Accounts

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

@playerupcom said:

The death of Albert Wesker was a big mistake. Specifically the way they killed Albert Wesker off was the primary issue. What they should have done was brought everyone back to fight a great battle against Albert Wesker killing off many characters concluding the first chapter of the series so they could move forward . Instead they killed him off in what was by far the most unrealistic death I have seen in a game. A 1 and 10000 odds of happening type situation happened at the end of Resident Evil 5.

Lol, come on man. The word "realistic" shouldn't even be in a discussion about Resident Evil. Since when is anything in the entire franchise realistic? Resident Evil stopped trying to creep people out since Code Veronica. There is a reason why Res4 "Reinvented" Resident Evil. Code Veronica was the last "scary" game in the franchise, 4 and so on have all focused on the fast paced action. You can buy an infinite ammo rocket launcher and machine gun for crying out loud.

Aquat1cF1sh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#47 Aquat1cF1sh
Member since 2006 • 11096 Posts

They'll never take Resident Evil back to real survival horror, not with the sales of shooters these days. Definitely don't see Capcom abandoning its large bro fanbase.

Honestly I could care less where they take the series at this point, there are other survival horror games out there (really looking forward to The Evil Within) and replaying the older games is still a blast.

PlayerUpcom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 PlayerUpcom
Member since 2014 • 25 Posts

@-paranorman- said:

@playerupcom said:

Lol, come on man. The word "realistic" shouldn't even be in a discussion about Resident Evil. Since when is anything in the entire franchise realistic? Resident Evil stopped trying to creep people out since Code Veronica. There is a reason why Res4 "Reinvented" Resident Evil. Code Veronica was the last "scary" game in the franchise, 4 and so on have all focused on the fast paced action. You can buy an infinite ammo rocket launcher and machine gun for crying out loud.

I agree except for the "scary" part. The game was never very scary including the original.

They haven't made a great Resident Evil game in over a decade.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 wiouds

@playerupcom said:

@-paranorman- said:

@playerupcom said:

I agree except for the "scary" part. The game was never very scary including the original.

They haven't made a great Resident Evil game in over a decade.

Resident Evil: Revelations is not bad. I also enjoy RE6, and RE5.

The biggest problem I have with RE4, RE5 and RE6 is they try to be horror and action while forgetting the Survival.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lulu_Lulu

@ wiouds

Thats because Surviving is Boring ! And annoying.