Replayed Planescape: Torment

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts

Such a breathtaking game that still has the best story ever told in gaming. With the inevitable arival of Torment: Tides of Numenera still being a long way to go, i couldn't help replay Planescape: Torment a couple of years after my first playthrough and it all came back to me.

The writting (dialogue, story, characters, setting descriptions, etc.) is out of this world and creates such a unique, interesting theme, setting and incredibly memorable characters. Every single piece of dialogue is excellent and worth experiencing the wealth of side quests for. The music is excellent and complements the theme of the game perfectly, and the voice acting (yep, there is a wealth of voice acting for the main characters) is excellent.

The graphics are beautiful in HD resolution, like a painting in motion.

If there's one game you need to play in your life, it's this one right here. There is no modern equivalent, it's completely unique and its quality has no equal. And here's a tip i've mentioned a number of times that succesfully helped people enjoy the game - play it like an adventure game.

Wen you start a new game, pour most of your points into Intelligence, Wisdom and Charisma, and put the difficulty to the easiest setting (it only affects the combat, and 9 times out of 10 you can avoid it).

The steady pace of the plot by doing problem solving (both environmental and through dialogue) through which you'll unravel countless memorable twists and the nature of The Nameless One and your companions, not to mention the answer to its thematical question - What can change the nature of a man? - will keep you more than occupied.

Complemented by the the brilliant music and the fantastic, beautiful settings all of which will keep you glued on the screen until completion.

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Since you mention there is voice acting and imdb confirms it gave me some what interest to play this game but there seem's to be a small cast though. are the characters fully voice in the main quest while the side quest npcs are not?

and is tides of numenera going to have a publisher? the wikipedia mentions its coming out on dvd but mentionsno publisher unless its nordic games which they publishing the wasteland 2. I could download them but I have don't have a big cap to download big games.

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Truly the best RPG ever made,especially in the story/narrative/characters department,nothing comes even close to it in those areas.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Lucianu

@TheShadowLord07 said:

Since you mention there is voice acting and imdb confirms it gave me some what interest to play this game but there seem's to be a small cast though. are the characters fully voice in the main quest while the side quest npcs are not?

and is tides of numenera going to have a publisher? the wikipedia mentions its coming out on dvd but mentionsno publisher unless its nordic games which they publishing the wasteland 2. I could download them but I have don't have a big cap to download big games.

The banter between the party characters as you progress through the game is fully voice acted. As for the rest, all the main characters have voice actors, but they usually just say a couple of lines to get an idea of what they sound like.

The writting is top notch and very engrossing, even if you don't like to read, it may grab your attention and completely immerse you because its quality is far and above anything in the video game medium, also you've got incredibly atmospheric music, such as this example, massaging your ears as you play.

Besides, you can read at your own comfortable pace, be it slow or fast, and you can always save, take a break and pick it up later.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#5 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

Gah, Planescape: Torment is my great regret. Always wanted to play it and just never got around to it. Is the GOG version in HD?

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Lucianu

@UpInFlames said:

Gah, Planescape: Torment is my great regret. Always wanted to play it and just never got around to it. Is the GOG version in HD?

No, but that's definitely the version to get. You're gonna need to add the following mods from this tutorial. It's a hassle for around 5 - 10 minutes, but most definitely worth it, fixing a ton of bugs, balance issues and the obvious resolution.

Without the UI fix & Widescreen patch, the game is at a 640/480 resolution which make the UI an extremely cluttered mess by today's standards. It's practically unplayable.

But playing in 720p (i wouldn't go above that, that's my personal sweet spot, anything above makes the character sprites way to small) is like clearing the fog that covered the game up, to reveal a real beauty due to the appealing hand painted backgrounds. The inventory system is still gonna take a little hassle to get accustomed to, but besides that, everything is extremely easy, crisp and clear to manage.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7  Edited By GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

@UpInFlames said:

I don't think initially but there are mods right on the main GoG forum for the game that updates the resolution and graphics and all that. I have it installed on my laptop and had no problems with the few graphical mods it needs.

You would certainly like this game Flames, it is the epitome of actual roleplaying, the writing as well is amazing in both depth and complexity. It is a curious world to explore. Be forewarned though, this one is more dialouge than action or puzzle solving (though there is that too) but if heavy amounts of reading or whatever bothers you than you might be annoyed.

Masculus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Masculus
Member since 2009 • 2878 Posts

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By UpInFlames

@Lucianu:

Alright, sounds good. I will be waiting for a discount, but I am definitely going to get this game.

One more question - how long is the game, approximately?

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 UpInFlames

@GodModeEnabled:

Dialogue is fine. I play adventure games, remember? :P

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lucianu

@UpInFlames said:

@Lucianu:

Alright, sounds good. I will be waiting for a discount, but I am definitely going to get this game.

One more question - how long is the game, approximately?

The main quest is roughly 30 hours, probably 50 with the side quests and exploration. I wouldn't skip the side quests because they add a huge layer of aditional information about the world, the Nameless One and about the characters in your party.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#12 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

I really need to get back to this. Started it up a few weeks ago and haven't been able to find the time to return to it since. I love what I've seen, though.

puella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 puella
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts

I couldn't agree more -- I really, really love this game.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Lucianu

@c_rakestraw said:

I really need to get back to this. Started it up a few weeks ago and haven't been able to find the time to return to it since. I love what I've seen, though.

How far are you into the game?

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Lucianu said:
@c_rakestraw said:

How far are you into the game?

Just got to Sigil. Taking my time wandering around and chatting up the locals. Last time I played, Dak'kon had just joined my party.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Lucianu
@c_rakestraw said:

Just got to Sigil. Taking my time wandering around and chatting up the locals. Last time I played, Dak'kon had just joined my party.

Yeah, that's still early in the game, you can also make Ignus (he's the guy on fire) join your party through a series of quests. He's incredibly crazy, but still an excellent addition. There's a lot of things i wanna explain about the characters and why they're so unique and memorable, but i'm probably gonna spoil stuff.

But i gotta give you a tip. Keep EVERYTHING you find as much as your inventory allows it, especially items that seem completely useless.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 c_rakestraw  Moderator
@Lucianu said:

Yeah, that's still early in the game, you can also make Ignus (he's the guy on fire) join your party through a series of quests. He's incredibly crazy, but still an excellent addition. There's a lot of things i wanna explain about the characters and why they're so unique and memorable, but i'm probably gonna spoil stuff.

But i gotta give you a tip. Keep EVERYTHING you find as much as your inventory allows it, especially items that seem completely useless.

I always carry as many items as I can. Never know when one's going to come in handy.

Quick question, though: Would it be worth starting over to re-spec my character? My stats are somewhat haphazardly spread. Haven't run into trouble yet, but I suppose that could still change. Is high wisdom, intelligence, and charisma really the way to go? I want to get the most of the game, and I'm not very far, so starting over isn't a problem if you think it'll make a big difference.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Lucianu

@c_rakestraw said:

Quick question, though: Would it be worth starting over to re-spec my character? My stats are somewhat haphazardly spread. Haven't run into trouble yet, but I suppose that could still change. Is high wisdom, intelligence, and charisma really the way to go? I want to get the most of the game, and I'm not very far, so starting over isn't a problem if you think it'll make a big difference.

Besides int., char. and wis, as long as the rest of your stats are at least average, i don't think it's worth starting over just to re-spec. Absolutely the way to go to get the most out of the dialogue options and outcomes.

Later on you can buy tattoos. Some of which will give you major boosts for situations in which you might be tired of avoiding combat.

There are gonna be enough points to distribute because you can level up frequently by just doing the side quests, some of which are so tightly woven to that world that you won't even notice that they are side quests until you get a boost of EXP.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

I am mix of if I should play it. I was told the entire plot of the game so That would not be good and I have yet to hear one person say something nice about the game play.

Some-Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#20  Edited By Some-Mist
Member since 2009 • 5631 Posts

I've played it a handful of times... but it's about time I get another playthrough in. easily my favorite game of all time.

also, nice thread luciano.

cyborg100000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By cyborg100000
Member since 2005 • 2905 Posts

It's a very engrossing game with the best writing I've ever encountered in this medium. I remember playing Skyrim after, and damn, the writing and character personalities seemed so hollow, like it was all thought up by a kid.

t1striker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22  Edited By t1striker
Member since 2003 • 1549 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

Truly the best RPG ever made,especially in the story/narrative/characters department,nothing comes even close to it in those areas.

Great game with a Great story(amazing dialog), but best rpg ever made? No(my opinion), don't get me wrong I love the game, but Baldurs Gate 2, The Witcher series, the older FF's, Skies of Arcadia, plus more I would consider to be better rpg's. Not better stories mind you just better games.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#23  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

This is one of those games I have an interest in, but have not played yet. I know nothing but praise for it.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Lucianu

@wiouds said:

I am mix of if I should play it. I was told the entire plot of the game so That would not be good and I have yet to hear one person say something nice about the game play.

I knew what the plot is before playing it (i even watched the ending on Youtube before touching the game at all out of curiosity), so trust me wen i tell you that it doesn't matter if you know what the plot is because there are so many different nuances to it, and so many outcomes to influence it, not to mention that the characters are tied to the plot in a completely unique way.

The gameplay is great, maybe you're referring to the combat, which is passable and simplistic, but it's not bad. I enjoyed it for what it is, so it didn't hinder me. The fact that it's simplistic means that you can go through it fast enough if given the choice.

If you acknowledge what you'd be getting yourself into (an adventure game built in the Infinity engine focused on exploration, puzzle solving and a lot of reading), and still be interested, then i have no doubt that you'll enjoy the game.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Lucianu

@BranKetra said:

This is one of those games I have an interest in, but have not played yet. I know nothing but praise for it.

It's all a matter of opinion, no game will ever have universal appeal, and there are a lot of people that dislike the game because of the interface.

Though i reckon that this particular dislike all stem from the vanilla, unmodded version. I'm pretty sure because i aswell couldn't enjoy the game it that form. As i've mentioned before, the vanilla version is at a minuscule resolution that esentially clutters the interface to an extreme degree, and makes the visuals ugly as sin, especially on the usual, modern monitor.

But thanks to the UI fix and Widescreen patch, that dislike quickly turned around for me, because it infinitely improved the experience. The beautifully detailed hand painted backgrounds just pop out at 720p, and the interface is clean and crisp at that resolution. The Inventory management still remains a hurdle, but a slight one since i barely needed to manage it in the first place.

The combat is also very simplistic and can get boring and tedious if you focus on that aspect. People never liked the combat 14 years ago, and they certainly don't like it now. Anyone that loves the game, including myself, can tell you that.

ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

Every time I start playing that game, something comes up that prevents me from being able to play and really enjoy such a long game, so I stop and reserve it for another time. As soon as I have more significantly more free time, it's on top of my to-play list.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 UpInFlames

Well, I think you will be pleased to learn that I just picked up Planescape Torment from GOG for $1,99. I'm not sure when I'll actually play it, but this is one step closer to that. :)

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

@UpInFlames said:

Well, I think you will be pleased to learn that I just picked up Planescape Torment from GOG for $1,99. I'm not sure when I'll actually play it, but this is one step closer to that. :)

You still need to play Vampire first.

*RErkewmnrk2l3n2l22!!2m22k2k

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By UpInFlames

@GodModeEnabled said:

@UpInFlames said:

You still need to play Vampire first.

*RErkewmnrk2l3n2l22!!2m22k2k

Hehe...

TheLoneMortal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30  Edited By TheLoneMortal
Member since 2011 • 135 Posts

It's been repeated nonstop now, but yes, definitely some of the best writing to be found in a video game. Sigil and the planes are such odd and fascinating settings as well.