Remember when...?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

User Lists: 0

#1 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts

You FIRST played Ocarina of Time? Or Guild Wars (or your first MMO)? or Final Fantasy 10?

I just noticed the games I mentioned are all RPGs. Maybe cause the dramaof theRPGs suck me into the actual game moreso.But those are the games that gave me that "wow" first impression. I've played many-a-awesome games over the years, but these ones gave me the greatest first impression when I first plugged them in ya know... For my kids, their obsession is Kingdom Hearts and I can see why. It will probably be a nostalgia piece for them for the rest of their lives. :-)

What games over the years have given you the greatest first impressions? Games that exceeded anything beyond what you've ever played before as soon as you turned it on.

pastro243

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 pastro243
Member since 2007 • 647 Posts
I loved FF7, FF12 and Im 17 and I love kingdom hearts. It happens the same thing with movies or series, I love rurouni kenshin and dbz
AJMarra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 AJMarra
Member since 2006 • 819 Posts
Ocarina of Time was an action adventure game, not an RPG.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

What games over the years have given you the greatest first impressions? Games that exceeded anything beyond what you've ever played before as soon as you turned it on.

skreetpreacha

-Definitely OoT; even with the advanced hype and perfect 10 reviews, it blew me away from start to finish in every way possible and I've yet to have a gaming experience that matched that feeling.

-World of Warcraft, simply because before WoW I never paid much attention to MMOs and didn't really know what to expect, and I was floored at the size and detail of the world and all the things you could do.

-Kingdom Hearts - I hate spoilers so I hide myself from everything before playing except review scores, even what's written on the back of the box, instruction book and any cinematics that aren't part of gameplay. I knew next to nothing about this game, so each cameo was a wonderful surprise.

-Grand Theft Auto III - Took all of five minutes for me to start thinking that this is a game that I had to call people about and say "Oh you gotta play this."

Other games left similar or better impressions by the time they were finished but those were the ones off the top of my head that left the best first impressions. I also loved the first 20 min or so of FFX and the opening moments of Suikoden III.

BobbyTurkalino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: -4

#5 BobbyTurkalino
Member since 2003 • 31460 Posts

For one I'll say Final Fantasy VII. My first experience was at a friends house who had been playing it by the time I got there. He was really praising it and was at the part in Hojo's lab where you save Aeris and meet up Red XIII. I thought the whole thing was cool, especially the battle system.

The other would be Super Mario RPG, it was the first RPG I ever played and because it was Mario I felt like I was already familiar with it. Turns out its one of the best games I've ever played.

sjona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sjona
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts

i'd say gears of war. i know this sounds insane, but its one of those games i never really heard anything about(except the ad running at the time..). the entire thing blew me away. awesome graphics and intense combat - until i mastered headshotting.

its just those games i havent heard anything about that blows me away - because i know nothing about them and therefore cant recite a 50 page long biography of the protaganist.

skreetpreacha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 113

#7 skreetpreacha
Member since 2005 • 877 Posts
[QUOTE="skreetpreacha"]

kfjl

-Definitely OoT; even with the advanced hype and perfect 10 reviews, it blew me away from start to finish in every way possible and I've yet to have a gaming experience that matched that feeling.

-World of Warcraft, simply because before WoW I never paid much attention to MMOs and didn't really know what to expect, and I was floored at the size and detail of the world and all the things you could do.

-Kingdom Hearts - I hate spoilers so I hide myself from everything before playing except review scores, even what's written on the back of the box, instruction book and any cinematics that aren't part of gameplay. I knew next to nothing about this game, so each cameo was a wonderful surprise.

-Grand Theft Auto III - Took all of five minutes for me to start thinking that this is a game that I had to call people about and say "Oh you gotta play this."

Other games left similar or better impressions by the time they were finished but those were the ones off the top of my head that left the best first impressions. I also loved the first 20 min or so of FFX and the opening moments of Suikoden III.

I totally feel you. I knew nothing of online PC games before I randomly got Guild Wars from the store and was blown away like you were with WoW... Since I played FFX before Kingdom Hearts, I wasn't "as" blown away when I got to KH, though KH was great too. But I'd already experienced the similar immersive music and graphics from FFX... And I was late getting my PS2 and originally had many reserves about playing a GTA game, so I didn't have that experience when GTA3 first came out, but I surely can imagine. My PSP came with Liberty City Stories and I was really blown away by that, but by that time, I'd experienced similar games already. But I'm sure GTA3 was pretty mindblowing when it first came out. :-D Good taste my friend...

CooVee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 CooVee
Member since 2005 • 2161 Posts
Star Wars Knights of the Republic impressed me so much that it sits as my number one favourite game of all time. Ocarina of Time comes in at a very close second. ;)
yodariquo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#9 yodariquo
Member since 2005 • 6631 Posts
Gotta go with none. Maybe Super Mario World, playing it at one of those kiosks, but I was only 4 or 5, so it's not as if I have either a great memory of that nor much of a developed sense for what was amazing. I played Super Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time around their respective releases, but never really cared about the whole 3D thing, and it didn't help that I liked the 2D predecessors more start to finish. Actually, Ogre Battle 64, which I love, I hated at first. Even thinking about more recent favourites such as Resident Evil 4 and Baten Kaitos Origins, those both didn't start off amazing me, particularly Origins which had a stellar second half that really made the game. So, there are games that I greatly enjoy, but I'm not one to be "wowed". It's the intricacies and depth of the truly great games that makes them great, not a beginning, not the graphics, not anything that is going to prove itself immediately.
-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
yes i remember my first time playin alot of games, most of the memories bein good