Remember Doom 4? It's coming, and it has a closed beta

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18262 posts) -

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/doom-4-still-exists-bethesda-unveils-doom-beta/1100-6417840/

Well what do you know? The game that has been in development hell (pun intended) for years is coming. It's is now simply called "Doom" (because why make things convenient when you can make them confusing?) and it also has a closed beta planned for the 4 people who preorder Wolfenstein The New Order.

It is still unclear what the beta will be and what systems it will be on but expect more info soon, I guess.

#2 Posted by Archangel3371 (15345 posts) -

That's great news. I was planning on picking up Wolfenstein: The New Order but hearing this bit of news I will go ahead and pre-order it now.

#3 Posted by thereal25 (358 posts) -

4 people?

Hm, anyway great to hear about doom4. I'm sure it'll be good.

#4 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18262 posts) -

4 people?

Hm, anyway great to hear about doom4. I'm sure it'll be good.

"4 people" meaning very few people will preoder Wolfenstein TNO

#5 Posted by thereal25 (358 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00:

"TNO" stands for trust no one right?

Anyway, judging by peoples reaction to the new wolfenstein trailer I'd say there will be quite a number of preorders.

#6 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18262 posts) -

@Black_Knight_00:

Anyway, judging by peoples reaction to the new wolfenstein trailer I'd say there will be quite a number of preorders.

TNO: The New Order

#7 Edited by thereal25 (358 posts) -

@thereal25 said:

@Black_Knight_00:

TNO: The New Order

woops! how did I not see that!!

#8 Posted by chernoalpha527 (124 posts) -

This whole thing sounds kinda sketchy to me. Why the hell would they never announce or show anything for the game and then all of a sudden announce a Beta out of no where and give ZERO details for the beta? Also why is this even a beta, I want my Doom game to be a great sp experience I don't really care about mp, and now they change the name of the title instead of Doom4.

We have zero details on this game at this point and for all we know this could be like just a arcade MP game that they will put up on the xbox and playstation store. Im not excited for this game right now im really worried.

#9 Edited by Randolph (10452 posts) -

Oh I hate it when companies reboot a series and just change it back to the title of the first game. Give it a subtitle or something so it's not confusing to discuss without an explanation of which version you are talking about.

#10 Posted by marcheegsr (2513 posts) -

Patiently awaiting the new Doom for a while now.

#11 Posted by dvader654 (44752 posts) -

This whole thing sounds kinda sketchy to me. Why the hell would they never announce or show anything for the game and then all of a sudden announce a Beta out of no where and give ZERO details for the beta? Also why is this even a beta, I want my Doom game to be a great sp experience I don't really care about mp, and now they change the name of the title instead of Doom4.

We have zero details on this game at this point and for all we know this could be like just a arcade MP game that they will put up on the xbox and playstation store. Im not excited for this game right now im really worried.

Pretty much this. Its a really weird situation. And is Doom multiplayer anything people really want to try?

#12 Posted by Treflis (11471 posts) -

I thought it was pushed back because Carmack and parts of the development team didn't think it felt like Doom, that there is a beta now I find a little troubling. Even more so since Carmack has left Id Software.

While I'm not going to create some sort of false rumor It does sound a little off. But we'll see once we get more info.

#13 Edited by Total_mischief (742 posts) -

I hope the beta means some Quake 3 arena type of multiplayer. Back to the sexy, sexy MP FPS. If they can deliver on the spooky, atmospheric, intense SP and add that MP...I'd say Doom 4 might be one heck of a sequel.

#14 Posted by sukraj (22108 posts) -

I can't wait to pick up Wolfenstein.

#15 Posted by speedfog (3035 posts) -

Let's hope it has horror elements. Also I would like co-op like on the xbox version.

#16 Edited by uninspiredcup (7797 posts) -

Not too hyped. Probably "modernized" which I generally read as "shite".

#17 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18262 posts) -

This whole thing sounds kinda sketchy to me. Why the hell would they never announce or show anything for the game and then all of a sudden announce a Beta out of no where and give ZERO details for the beta?

Maybe because it sucks. When a game is scrapped and restarted twice and the lead designer leaves for greener pastures, it doesn't bode well.

#18 Posted by Gallowhand (476 posts) -

@chernoalpha527 said:

This whole thing sounds kinda sketchy to me. Why the hell would they never announce or show anything for the game and then all of a sudden announce a Beta out of no where and give ZERO details for the beta?

Maybe because it sucks. When a game is scrapped and restarted twice and the lead designer leaves for greener pastures, it doesn't bode well.

I don't have much hope for the new Doom game, especially after hearing they had to scrap it and start again. id Software just isn't the same company any more, because all of the founders and most of the original talent have moved on, so it will be hard to try and recapture the essence of what made the original Doom a great game.

#19 Posted by ShangTsung7 (247 posts) -

this is definitely worth keeping an eye on, i couldn't care less about Wolfinstein but a new Doom game has the potential of being something epic if its done right.

#20 Posted by T3MPLESMITH (17 posts) -

They're using the id Tech 5 engine for this, so be prepared to upgrade your already half-decent computers.

#21 Posted by SEANMCAD (5464 posts) -

they are just doing that to piss Carmack off on purpose.

#22 Posted by chernoalpha527 (124 posts) -

@chernoalpha527 said:

Yea thats exactly why Im worried about this game its not looking good at all and my expectations are pretty low, honestly I would like another developer take on the Doom franchise. Id is just not the same anymore.

#23 Posted by dethtrain (384 posts) -

This is being done on the Rage engine? id Software is a shadow of it's former self anyway. God I miss the late 90s