Reggie says he wants Halo on the Wii, loves Bioshock, and claims Wii's not a fad

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

This was brought up when someone told him that more users are playing the 360 and PS3 more than the Wii.

http://gamepro.com/news.cfm?article_id=143728

"People are playing their Wii consoles frankly more today than the day we launched," Reggie told the San Francisco Chronicle in an interview published on Sunday. "We are finding that consumers are playing a wide range of software much beyond Wii Sports," he said. "I think the concerns about the Wii being a fad are overblown."

In terms of games that the Nintendo president wished were on Nintendo systems, Fils-Aime said, "I've been very intrigued with Little Big Planet (from Sony)," before adding, "I don't know that it belongs on their platform."

Additionally, Reggie questioned the sanity of a company who wouldn't want Halo on their console while professing his admiration for BioShock on Xbox 360.

"I thought [BioShock] was tremendously well done. The writing was tremendously clever. I would love to see more of that type of content in the industry overall that actually makes people think a little bit."

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#2 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

Well, from a business standpoint as well (let's be frank) as a gaming standpoint, Halo's good.

I'm not quite sure what he meant by his 'Little Big Planet' comment, though. Does he mean the creativity behind the game? The gameplay? The atmosphere? Maybe he just doesn't know? Nah...doubt it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44161 Posts

Well what can be said but the man's got taste. :P

Yeah wanting a franchise like Halo on anyone's console is definately a no-brainer and it's nice to see his admiration for Bioshock.

I'm really glad that Reggie got the position he did since he is one of my favourite personalities in the industry. Nintendo are really fantastic at their own style of games but I certainly would be interested to see them take a stab at a 'Halo' or 'Bioshock' kind of game then again now that Bungie is more on their own now perhaps he's trying to catch their interest in developing something for the Wii.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#4 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Makes sense. Put the game with the biggest mass-market appeal on the console with the biggest mass-market appeal. With that combo they could make billions! *insert Dr. Evil pinky*
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts
Weren't these the same games that Reggie was talking down just awhile ago?
DaAznSaN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 DaAznSaN
Member since 2003 • 5656 Posts
Weren't these the same games that Reggie was talking down just awhile ago?MarcusAntonius
It doesn't sound like Reggie said Halo 3 was a bad game; it's that the game isn't the big seller that's going to change the fate of the console wars.
TenaciousD29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TenaciousD29
Member since 2006 • 666 Posts
All he has to do is convince Miamoto to make aHalo for him.:P
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts
*shrugs* Nothing exciting, controversial, or surprising here.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

Well, from a business standpoint as well (let's be frank) as a gaming standpoint, Halo's good.

I'm not quite sure what he meant by his 'Little Big Planet' comment, though. Does he mean the creativity behind the game? The gameplay? The atmosphere? Maybe he just doesn't know? Nah...doubt it.

BranKetra

I think he means by his Little Big Planet comment "I can't believe we didn't come up with that first, and it would totally sell better on the Wii". I'd share the same sentiment if I were him.

zoradude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 zoradude
Member since 2004 • 1073 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Oilers99

I think he means by his Little Big Planet comment "I can't believe we didn't come up with that first, and it would totally sell better on the Wii". I'd share the same sentiment if I were him.

Exactly, from what I have seen of it, it looks more like something I would expect on the wii rather than the PS3

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
[QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]

zoradude

Exactly, from what I have seen of it, it looks more like something I would expect on the wii rather than the PS3

Except the user-made levels would be impossible without that hard-drive space. Either that or Nintendo has to actually let people use the SD cards for game saves and Virtual Console games and the like.

FlaminDeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FlaminDeath
Member since 2004 • 4181 Posts

I agree with Reggie there, I want an epic FPS on the Wii.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
The Wii really needs a harddrive to recapture my intrest in it. Id be spending all my money on virtual console games if I had a place to put them... I want the 360 and Wii to merge and form a voltron like ultimate bastard system. Thats what I want.
electricmime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 electricmime
Member since 2005 • 263 Posts
[QUOTE="zoradude"][QUOTE="Oilers99"][QUOTE="BranKetra"]

AtomicTangerine

Except the user-made levels would be impossible without that hard-drive space. Either that or Nintendo has to actually let people use the SD cards for game saves and Virtual Console games and the like.

They should also allow usb drives for external storage (usb thumbsticks/hds).

m0zart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#15 m0zart
Member since 2003 • 11580 Posts

[QUOTE="MarcusAntonius"]Weren't these the same games that Reggie was talking down just awhile ago?DaAznSaN
It doesn't sound like Reggie said Halo 3 was a bad game; it's that the game isn't the big seller that's going to change the fate of the console wars.

Right. I think he knew that Halo was going to sell and maybe even spike 360 systems for a few months. His comments were based on the identity of those games as ongoing system sellers. They appeal to a hardcore base of gamers which are already fans of the 360. They don't appeal to the casuals in general. So I think his point was that the spike in sales will be based on people who were already wanting a 360 and waiting for this game, rather than a group of people who didn't want a 360 until they saw Halo 3.

Reggie is basically making a business evaluation on the effect of Halo 3, and I can't help but think he was spot on in that case. The 360 has a game that sold in the millions in a very short period of time, yet the spike in 360 sales only JUST beat the Wii sales by a tiny margin for the same period. It will take some time tosee if he was right in the long-term.

bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

zoradude

It's funny whenever there is a quirky, cute unique game (that is actually good) on any non nintendo system people are immediately saying it belongs on the Nintendo systems. It happened with LocoRoco, it happened with Viva Pinhata, and it's happening with Little Big Planet.

It's normal to want a game and express the wish to be able to play it but other companies can make good cute games too ... even if they only get the positive reactions and will never have their games or company be called "kiddy". And as someone who unashamedly enjoys kiddy games I say all companies should make good kiddy games because you can never have enough of them.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

If Reggie was so envious of games like Bioshock and Littlebigplanet, you would think Nintendo would spend money developing original IP and/or picking up or forming alliances with new talent. That hasn't happened (they are offering a mix of old franchises and casual games). Does NOA have the authority to make such decisions? If so, why hasn't it been used?

Given that Nintendo has made more money off of cheap games like Wii Sports than it has off of pricier franchise games like Zelda and Metroid, I can't say thatNintendo's policy of admiring pricey original games like Bioshock and Littlebigplanet fom afar is unreasonable.

LordAndrew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 LordAndrew
Member since 2005 • 7355 Posts

So has he actually played BioShock since his last comment about the game? He must have been disappointed by its lack of on-line co-op. :P

"I work very hard to play as much of our own games and our competitors games as possible." That's always a good idea.

Caviglia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Caviglia
Member since 2006 • 1344 Posts

BranKetra

I think in terms of LBP Reggie is hinting that the demographic of the PS3 is not the demographic that is best suited to LBP. I certainly feel this is true, the PS3 has an identity crisis where Sony fail to underline that it is a gaming console, not an entertainment hub. Because of this, and the high price, games like Singstar and Buzz will not reach the same audiences that helped make the PS2 so successful. LBP is in between this, it appeals to the hardcore and to the 'casual' player, however with the PS3 failing to entice the core gamers insignificant numbers (largely due to relatively poor exclusives andshoddy ports)LBP will have a narrow audience on PS3.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#20 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

I think he means by his Little Big Planet comment "I can't believe we didn't come up with that first, and it would totally sell better on the Wii". I'd share the same sentiment if I were him.Oilers99

Actually, it would be a hell of a lot more surprising if Nintendo came up with it first since Japanese developers (I would even go so far as to say console developers, period) in general seem to be completely oblivious to the concept of user-generated content. That's what LittleBigPlanet is all about, not cute characters (although they are insanely adorable :oops: ).

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts
[QUOTE="BranKetra"]

Caviglia

I think in terms of LBP Reggie is hinting that the demographic of the PS3 is not the demographic that is best suited to LBP. I certainly feel this is true, the PS3 has an identity crisis where Sony fail to underline that it is a gaming console, not an entertainment hub. Because of this, and the high price, games like Singstar and Buzz will not reach the same audiences that helped make the PS2 so successful. LBP is in between this, it appeals to the hardcore and to the 'casual' player, however with the PS3 failing to entice the core gamers insignificant numbers (largely due to relatively poor exclusives andshoddy ports)LBP will have a narrow audience on PS3.

What leads you to the conclusion that the Wii would be a receptive home for LBP? Judging by the line-up of GC sequels, itshardcore gamers are probably former GC owners, most of whom were famously franchise-loyal (its no accident most Nintendo games are based on a handful of franchises) and its casual gamers (the overwhelming majority) haven't expressed interest in a game which demands more commitment that Wii Sports.

On a related note, don't make the mistake of thinking that LBP's art style would be a big draw for casual gamers. There have been hundreds if not thousands of games with kid-friendly graphics, and they have been around since practically the dawn of gaming, but its only minigame collections that have drawn casual gamers in numbers. Building a full level from scratch just isn't the sort of thing they appear to be looking for. In fairness, it might not be the sort of thing most hardcore gamers are looking for either. On consoles, no one has demostrated that there is a big chunk of people waiting to build games from the ground up.

nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts

zoradude

It all just goes to show that creativity and mainstream appeal are not limited to one company.

capthavic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#23 capthavic
Member since 2003 • 6478 Posts

"We are finding that consumers are playing a wide range of software much beyond Wii Sports,"

Really? Personally the reason why I don't have a Wii is because of the lack of games.