This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by RoyalClown_1 (117 posts) -

What do you guys think are the chances of R* continuing the Red Dead series? I think(and hope) there is a good chance because red dead redemption is hands down the most i've enjoyed a video game. The gunplay, horse physics, crisp graphics, great story and interesting characters made me fall in love with it the day I got it. So if we were to have a new Red Dead game on our hands, what would guys like to see? Any changes/improvements or just build up on what RDR was? I would like a slightly bigger map, more animals, more guns, longer story, more mini-games/side stories, and more DLC dammit!

I have a feeling they'll make a native American mc and it'll take place right when the colonists were expanding to the west, I've heard rumors they'll call it Red Dead Rebellion so that would seem pretty fitting. But it doesn't matter to me, as long as I get more red dead!

#2 Posted by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

I still don't get why people jizz so much about RDR. It was decent at best. Gunplay was the best part, and the only part of the story that interested me was the ending, because John Marston was a good character. The rest of it felt far too random and disjointed from the rest.

That being said, the wild west is still an underused motif. I think that a less "serious" story would be more fitting, though, because a lot of the dialogue in RDR was kind of a buzzkill. Here you are, feeling like a badass cowboy, gunning down bad guys then John says something about life and death and suddenly killing the bad guys doesn't seem like such a fun thing to do.

#3 Edited by marcheegsr (3002 posts) -

I'm pretty sure we will see a RDR 2. It's only a matter of when we will see it.

I want to see a bigger map, more buildings that you are able to walk in and out of, and a more interactive world. The first RDR was a masterpiece so they don't really have to change too much.

#4 Edited by RoyalClown_1 (117 posts) -

@turtlethetaffer: Hey everyone has their own reasons and opinions, I know what you mean about John switching tones, but I think it was cool to have a sane character in an insane world. Also I don't care much about characters who just kill mindlessly and don't give a shit about anything or anyone. He was fighting for his family, and that kept him sane while also becoming stronger.

@marcheegsr RDR was the second game of the series, the first was red dead revolver for ps2 and i think(?) xbox. So it's just a clever way of naming a series instead of red dead 1 and 2 and so on.

#5 Posted by ShangTsung7 (250 posts) -

if they make another they need to focus more on the sp, the campaign in RDR was way too short, not to mention had the most depressing ending i've seen since Bioshock 2, i also felt like it took far too much of a backseat to the online mp, "this is why i quit playing AC games" if they indeed create a sequel please MAKE IT LONGER. can't stress that enough.

#6 Posted by ZZoMBiE13 (22911 posts) -

What I hope more than anything is for them to bring the GTA V character swapping mechanics into the Red Dead series and build a game based around The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Call it The Red, The Dead, And the Ugly or something.

But I'd take a straight sequel too, you know whatever.

#7 Posted by blamix99 (2575 posts) -

Red Dead Redemption is my favorite R* game, loved it more than all GTA games. i want a bigger map this time more side quest and more weapons, and hope that we can swim this time

#8 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18709 posts) -

Grand Theft Horses.

#9 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18709 posts) -

@ ShangTsung7

Bioshock 2 had 2 endings that I know of, which one was depressing ?

And why is B2 your go to game when you wana reference something bad ?

#10 Posted by ShangTsung7 (250 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ ShangTsung7

Bioshock 2 had 2 endings that I know of, which one was depressing ?

And why is B2 your go to game when you wana reference something bad ?

1. because no matter what ending you get Delta STILL dies, i hated that and found it very depressing.

2. its not, you're thinking way too much into my posts m8.

#11 Posted by insanegame377 (392 posts) -

I enjoyed RDR, but didn't think it was the masterpiece others claim it is. Its simply GTA in the Wild West.

#12 Edited by sukraj (24031 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

Grand Theft Horses.

Ha ha nice one mate.

#13 Posted by RoyalClown_1 (117 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: Grand Theft Equestrian*

#14 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (18709 posts) -

@ RoyalClown_1

Add Ninjas and I'm in.

#15 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

Yes, they're going to make another. I loved Red Dead, never got into Revolver, though. The music was fantastic.

#16 Posted by RoyalClown_1 (117 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu: If it takes place in 2002 sure!

#17 Edited by turtlethetaffer (17198 posts) -

@royalclown_1: No, no, like I said, I thought John Marston was a very good character. Just felt that some of the things he said were kind of a buzz kill.

#18 Edited by Kevlar101 (6268 posts) -

Ahhh.... Red Dead Redemption. A true masterpiece.

If Rockstar releases a third Red Dead game, I will 100% for sure buy it day one. I will friggin' pre-order it.

What would I want to see in it? I'm glad you asked. I have been waiting for a good opportunity to express my own ideas about this.

• Bigger world. Like, comparable to GTA5 kind of size.
  • Longer story. 42 missions did feel a bit on the short side in RDR. 70 missions seems acceptable to me. I would be happy with 60, but I would be REALLY happy with 70+.
  • Retain the 'tons of sh!t to do' attribute. There were so many things to do in RDR....big things and little things, and honestly, the little things are what made the magic happen for me.
  • Keep the Random Events, and keep them as common. (Random Events in GTA5 did not happen NEARLY as often as they should have IMO. RDR got it perfect.)
  • Add some light Role-Playing mechanics. Like Far Cry 3s Light-RPG system for example. That would fit perfectly into a Read Dead game.
  • Do NOT let it be a direct sequel or direct prequel to Redemption. The story needs to remain mostly unrelated.
  • Set it either before or after Red Dead Revolver. I don't want the setting to be after Redemption, that would just be weird.
  • Expand the hunting mechanic a bit, like allow gathered raw materials to be used for crafting. I would really like there to be a dynamic crafting system.
  • Allow the world to be more sandbox-y. The story should allow the player to make choices that will affect the plot in big and small ways, and allowing for multiple endings. This same construct should also apply to side missions (like Stranger Missions). The Fame and Honor system should also apply directly to this as well.
  • If the world is going to be bigger, then towns should be either bigger, or kept the same size but there are more of them. Preferably the former.
  • Don't try to make 'clones' of fan-favorite RDR characters. That would ruin the narrative.
  • Expand the economy of the game.
  • Keep the Fame and Honor system intact. Don't change it too much.

I think that's all :P

#19 Posted by shellcase86 (2077 posts) -

It probably sounds tedious to others, but I was looking forward to managing my own ranch. I don't want it so involved it would detract too much (may as well be it's own game if that's the case). But having the option to round steers and the sort and maybe sell or manage them, if streamlined, could have been decent.

#20 Edited by Archangel3371 (16251 posts) -

Absolutely fantastic game and I'm 100% certain that we'll see another Red Dead game.

#21 Edited by RoyalClown_1 (117 posts) -

@Kevlar101: Great point on the hunting system and crafting your own gear/clothing, I hated how limited the outfits were. And I completely agree on the towns idea, I know they were trying to capture the untamed west by having a lot of open space but the towns felt a bit small and lackluster when you just spent 2-5 minutes just traveling on the desert/pastures. I want to see a bigger variety of animals and more of them(bigger herds, packs flocks etc). Cheers to an RPG system, not too much of it though tbh.

Also they should make the character more agile, I know Marston was a tough badass that didn't like hopping and climbing but sometimes it felt sluggish and awkward. And of course the new mc should be able to swim lol.

#22 Edited by Kevlar101 (6268 posts) -

@royalclown_1 said:

@Kevlar101: Great point on the hunting system and crafting your own gear/clothing, I hated how limited the outfits were. And I completely agree on the towns idea, I know they were trying to capture the untamed west by having a lot of open space but the towns felt a bit small and lackluster when you just spent 2-5 minutes just traveling on the desert/pastures. I want to see a bigger variety of animals and more of them(bigger herds, packs flocks etc). Cheers to an RPG system, not too much of it though tbh.

Also they should make the character more agile, I know Marston was a tough badass that didn't like hopping and climbing but sometimes it felt sluggish and awkward. And of course the new mc should be able to swim lol.

Yeah, protagonists in most of Rockstars games feel somewhat robotic and hard to control. Making them easier to handle would be a plus. And yeah....I agree, it was ridiculous that Marston couldn't friggin' swim :P

#23 Posted by RoyalClown_1 (117 posts) -

@Kevlar101: Judging by how quick the characters moved in and out of cars in GTAV I think R* is moving away from too much realism and listening to what gamers say makes the game more FUN.

#24 Edited by cooolio (536 posts) -

The thing that I liked about RDR was the fact that the open world structure of the game related to the story. I could see a man on journey across the wild west and running into people who seemed to be in need. The small side stories really touched on how tough life can be and how you can come to question your choices. Unlike a lot of open world games, John Marston felt like he was part of the open world. Even though there were only to games to play to earn money, it was fun sitting down playing poker or liars die.

I think that Rockstar is at its best when it makes serious games like this.

Improvements that I would like to see:

• The ability to jump from your horse to an enemies and fight in a struggle
  • Human shield mechanic
  • Vault of cover with the ability to go shoot while doing so.
  • More variety of side missions and more choices in how you tackle missions
  • Dancing at Saloons
  • More mini games
#25 Posted by pupp3t_mast3r (141 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

@ RoyalClown_1

Add Ninjas and I'm in.

And Pirates.

#26 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (7203 posts) -

I'd love a RDR sequal... In fact it would probably be in my top 5 most wanted sequals.

#27 Posted by dethtrain (457 posts) -

I tried, but I just couldn't get into it

#28 Edited by jetjetjaguar (191 posts) -

I would love a next Red Dead game. It couldn't be a sequel of course "but thar be plenty o' stories in them dang hills". Hard to suggest improvements to such a great game. There was not much, other than the wilderness challenges, that I found a chore.

#29 Edited by Darkmoone1 (2827 posts) -

Another Red Dead game is another piece added to my library! :D