Recommend some underrated ps2 games.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by JamesHarden98 (38 posts) -

I just recently got into collecting for the ps2 and I was wondering if there are any must haves or criminally underrated ps2 games? That you guys have enjoyed.

#2 Posted by Cataclism (1517 posts) -
The Xenosaga series are some of my favorites, primarly because of the story. The gameplay in episode II is usually considered lackluster (I liked it though). The story definetely makes them worth it. It's very complex and unique. Keep in mind that some cutscenes are huuuuuuuuuuuuuge :P. I'd also sugest Okami, if you don't have it.Aalthough I wouldn't call it underrated (it got great scores and with good reason), it's definetely a must-have.
#3 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

Robot Alchemic Drive - I got this after seeing CGR's review, it's a very unique giant robot sim-like game, you control the robots legs with R1 and L1 and it's arms with the analogs, and you see everything from the eyes of your human character controlling the robot with a remote control, so you have to position your human in a good place to get a good view of the action while at the same time being safe from harm. You can choose from 3 different characters, and you have 3 different robots, each with unique features. You can also upgrade your robots and your humans equipment. The english voice acting is horrible to the point it's entertaining. Graphics are dated, but if you're tolerant to cheap looking games, you'll probably end up loving the charm this game has.

Disaster Report/Raw Danger - Survival game, not survival horror, SURVIVAL. Against mother nature herself. One game puts you in a huge earthquake scene, the other a huge flood, both look pretty cheap, but the gameplay is very fun, you have to keep your character warm/hydrated, and escape from various natural disastors and scavange anything you can that can help you survive. In Raw Danger you play as 5 or 6 different characters with seperate storylines that eventually cross paths, and the choices you make in one will affect what happens in the next.

Haunting Ground - Not as much underrated as overlooked, but you should really look out for this game. Similar to Clock Tower, you have to hide from your enemies instead of killing them, and you have a canine companion to help you out solve puzzles and distract enemies, your relationship with the dog will affect how obediant he is to you. Very good game.

Jak & Daxter The Lost Frontier - Usually disregarded when talking about the Jak & Daxter series, but it's definetly not a bad game, it has a very different art direction which can take some time to sink in, and it focuses more on the dog fights than on the platforming, but I thought it was still a good game in the series. Definetly pick up if you're a fan of the series and enjoy dogfights/plane customizing.

Battle Stadium D.O.N - Super Smash Bros. clone? Yes. Do it make it not worth checking out? Not if your a fan of DBZ, One Piece or Naruto. Very fun game, I play it alot with my father actually, he also enjoys it. So yeah, it's basically Super Smash Bros, with anime characters, but instead of percentages you have this bar on the top, and it's sort of "pushing battle", the more you hit characters, the more your icon pushes the others to the other end, eventually you win when all icons are on the other end, or when the time is up.

Blood Will Tell - Hack n' Slash game about a guy that had 48 body parts stolen from him by demons as a baby, and now has a mostly artificial body, he sets on a quest to regain all his body parts, and eventually you're joined with a kid thief that helps you out in your adventures. Very cool storyline, you go through various places and in each place something is going on, and you have to help people out and kill demons to get your body parts back. You can different stuff with each body part (like if I'm not mistaken, when you regain your stomach, eating food regains more health, or something alon the lines of that). Doing the main story won't get you all body parts though, you'll have to revisit certain places and look for hidden places where demons can be hiding to regain all the body parts, once you get all 48 you get a true ending.

#4 Posted by Panzer_Zwei (15442 posts) -

SHINOBI, GOD HAND, SHIN CONTRA, DORORO, WARSHIP GUNNER 2.

#5 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

DORORO

Panzer_Zwei
TC, just so you know, Dororo and Blood Will Tell are the same game :P And I second God Hand.
#7 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -

Underrated:

Psi-Ops, Rumble Racing, Primal, War of the Monsters, Shinobido, Extermination, Air Blade.

Must haves that got good scores and great lesser known titles:

Okami, Silent Hill 2 and 3, Gran Turismo 3 and 4, GTA 3 + VC + SA, Metal Gear Solid 2 + 3 (extended editions if you can find them), Dragon Quest 8, Rogue Galaxy, Final Fantasy XII (and X which I personally didn't enjoy but is critically well received), Dark Cloud, Dark Chronicle, Kingdom Hearts 1 + 2.

#8 Posted by gunslinger024 (334 posts) -

Need for Speed Most Wanted, Timesplitters 2, Shadow of the colossus

#9 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -
  • Drakan: The Ancient Gates - A great action-RPG game that has a large explorable world. What's great about this game is that it has you're normal questing, leveling-up and gearing your character, and the normal action-RPG fare. But it also adds the ability to ride and control a dragon, which you can also level up and use to do battle.

• The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - I know, pretty much ever other Hulk game ever made has sucked. Why should this one be any different? Well, because this one gets it right. You actually feel like a destructive, rampaging, unstoppable beast in this game. It's so satisfying to demolish a city or army base in this game. And there's some great boss battles. All of it takes place in large, open areas.

• King's Field: The Ancient Gates - Fantastic action-RPG series played from the first-person perspective with a high emphasis on exploration. This is the 4th game in the series (but only the 3rd released in the U.S.), and is the best looking and largest game in the series.

• Mortal Kombat: Deception - Many people dismissed this game and catagorized it as just another bad 3D Mortal Kombat game. But that's just not true here. Great combat in this game with a classic feel, yet a lot of added moves and combos. Tons of characters to choose from. And sooooo many game modes and mini-games packed onto this bad-boy makes this well worth the dirt-cheap admission price the game sells for now.

• Pac-Man World 2 - This has to be the most underrated 3D platformer of all-time. Great level design and platforming that's just plain fun. But it got overshadowed by the likes of Ratchet & Clank and Spyro.

• Rygar: The Legendary Adventure - A great epic adventure game set in ancient Greek mythology. It's God of War before there was a God of War, but minus the extreme brutality.

• Sega Genesis Collection - Let's just get this out of the way: Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection on the next-gen systems is better and has more games. But if you don't have a next-gen system, then this is the best alternative to it out there. Great selection of Sega Genesis classics including favorties like the Sonic the Hedgehog 1 & 2, Golden Axe 1-3, Comix Zone, Shinobi III, and many others. But be sure and get "Sega Genesis Collection" and not the god-awful "Sega Classics Collection" which are painfully and horribly updated versions of the classic Genesis games.

• R-Type: Final - As the name suggests, the final game in the stellar shmup series R-Type. A worthy send-off to such a fantastic series.

• Raiden III - The third game in the long-running and fun vertical scrolling shmup series.

• Shinobi - Very stylish and fun action game.

• SNK Arcade Classics Vol. 1 - Capcom Classics, the Mega Man collections, the Sonic collections; they're always mentioned, but this one is often overlooked. A nice, and varied collection of classic games from the Neo Geo MVS including the fighting game classics like Samurai Shodown and Fatal Fury, as well as arcade favorites like Metal Slug and King of Monsters among many others.

• Spider-Man: The Movie - Spider-Man 2 gets all the attention with it's sandbox gameplay. And it's a great game. But the first game gets overlooked because of it. It's not an open-world game, but it's still a fantastic action-game with solid gameplay and fantastic controls. And it has some of the coolest unlockables I've ever seen in a game. You get unlock the ability to play as the Green Goblin complete with all his weapons, powers, and his Goblin Glider!

• X-Men Legends 1 & 2 - Great action-RPG set in the Marvel Universe starring Marvel Comics' favorite Mutant team. Lots of goodies crammed in for fans of the comics.
#10 Posted by JamesHarden98 (38 posts) -

• The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction - I know, pretty much ever other Hulk game ever made has sucked. Why should this one be any different? Well, because this one gets it right. You actually feel like a destructive, rampaging, unstoppable beast in this game. It's so satisfying to demolish a city or army base in this game. And there's some great boss battles. All of it takes place in large, open areas.

• King's Field: The Ancient Gates - Fantastic action-RPG series played from the first-person perspective with a high emphasis on exploration. This is the 4th game in the series (but only the 3rd released in the U.S.), and is the best looking and largest game in the series.

• Mortal Kombat: Deception - Many people dismissed this game and catagorized it as just another bad 3D Mortal Kombat game. But that's just not true here. Great combat in this game with a classic feel, yet a lot of added moves and combos. Tons of characters to choose from. And sooooo many game modes and mini-games packed onto this bad-boy makes this well worth the dirt-cheap admission price the game sells for now.
  • X-Men Legends 1 & 2 - Great action-RPG set in the Marvel Universe starring Marvel Comics' favorite Mutant team. Lots of goodies crammed in for fans of the comics.

Emerald_Warrior

Mortal Kombat is a great game, and X-Men Legends was also an extremely good game... Thanks for everyone's suggestions ill have to look into a few of them

#11 Posted by whiskeystrike (12068 posts) -

Rogue Galaxy

Tales of the Abyss

Dragonquest VIII

LoTR: The Third Age

Okami, I don't know if it's really considered underrated at this point but it sold poorly when it first launched.

Medal of Honor Frontline

FFVII: Dirge of Cerberus (only get this though if you're a FF nutcase and have poor standards for shooters)

#12 Posted by Allicrombie (25132 posts) -
underrated is a terribly subjective term, but I don't see any of the Fatal Frame games on many lists and they're quite enjoyable. Klonoa 2 is a great platformer on PS2 that is often overlooked. I had fun with Phantasy Star Online Episode III, though as a card battling game, it definitely isnt for everyone.
#13 Posted by GeoffZak (3715 posts) -

I was shocked to find out that Wild Arms 5 averaged about a 7/10 on Metacritic. I feel some injustice here. It's deserving of at least a 9/10.

Wild Arms 5 is an absolutely brilliant game. The battle system is so intuitive and fun, and that's what makes it great. The music is also amazing.

Some others include: YuYuHakusho Dark Tournament, Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder, Tales of Legendia, Tales of the Abyss, .hack and any of the Shin Megami Tensei games.

I was really surprised at how fun Shaun Palmer's Pro Snowboarder is. I suppose you can't go wrong with a modified Tony Hawk's Pro Skater.

#14 Posted by Sali217 (1274 posts) -
Shadow hearts Gungrave Gungrave Overdose Kingdom Hearts The .Hack games killer7
#15 Posted by skooks (1411 posts) -

Gregory Horror Show
Ultimate Spider-Man
The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
X-Men Legends 1+2
The Warriors
Flipnic

#16 Posted by BarbaricAvatar (977 posts) -

Not sure if these are "underrated" or not, i just don't see them mentioned often.

Project Eden

Sky Odyssey

Starsky & Hutch

Muppets Party Cruise

Outlaw Golf 2

Jaws Unleashed

Summoner

Summoner 2

Evil Dead Regeneration

Road Trip Adventure

Legend of Kay

Buffy Chaos Bleeds

#17 Posted by PetJel (3722 posts) -
underrated is a terribly subjective term, but I don't see any of the Fatal Frame games on many lists and they're quite enjoyable. Allicrombie
Oh dear, I can't believe I forgot Fatal Frame (Project Zero) on my list. I do recommended that series.
#18 Posted by Jag85 (4396 posts) -

Ephemeral Fantasia (2000)

Orphen: Scion of Sorcery (2000)

Extermination (2001)

Ico (2001)

Resident Evil Code: Veronica X (2001)

Shadow of Memories (2001)

Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Libery (2001) / Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance (2002)

Star Ocean: Till the End of Time (2003)

Fatal Frame trilogy (2001-2005)

Grandia II (2002)

Shinobi (2002)

Clock Tower 3 (2002) and Haunting Ground (2005)

Xenosaga trilogy (2002-2006)

Castlevania: Lament of Innocence (2003) and Castlevania: Curse of Darkness (2005)

Dragon Quest V (2004)

Rogue Galaxy (2005)

Sakura Wars V: So Long, My Love (2005)

Yakuza (2005) and Yakuza 2 (2006)

Clannad (2006)

Okami (2006)

#19 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26278 posts) -

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy

Beyond Good and Evil

Gauntlet: Dark Legacy

#20 Posted by Boddicker (2522 posts) -

I'll second Robot Alchemic Drive. I picked it up a few years ago in the bargain bin for <$10. It actually felt like you were controlling HUGE godzille size robots. Sooooo epic!!!

Was always curious about God Hand but I never bought it. The same for Blood Will Tell.

#21 Posted by MJS88 (60 posts) -

I don't know if it was particularly underrated but none of of friends had it, or had even heard of it:

State of Emergency - Dead rising minus the zombies ;).

#22 Posted by JamesHarden98 (38 posts) -

The ps2 def has the bigggest selection of good games, Ill have to try some of them out

#23 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

I'll give Robot Alchemic Drive points for being unique. I won't say it's good, but there's certainly nothing like it. Dead god, though, it literally has the worst voice acting I've ever heard in a game. The female news anchor's accent is so thick I couldn't immediately tell that she was even speaking English. Still, I gotta give props to a giant robot game that actually keeps track of how much damage you cause to the city and takes the dollar amount out of your bottom line.

Sticking to the lesser known or more cult games of the PS2 era (so excluding Final Fantasy, Metal Gear, Shadow of the Colossus/Ico, etc)

Yakuza 1 and 2 are awesome (as are their PS3 sequels). Deep open world beat em ups with tons of content, sidestories and content. Also I'm a fan of games that take place in a modern setting in general instead of a medieval fantasy world or a space station. There are too few games where you can do things like walk down to a bar and get drunk or head to the local drug store to pick up medicine.

Persona 3 and 4. JRPG with turn based battles (but no random encounters) in which you have to balance your monster killing activities with being a high school student so it's a combination JRPG/Social/Dating Sim/crazyness. Very unique title with a distinct visual and audio style and characters that actually have personality.

Odin Sphere. 2D non-linear sidescroller with gorgeous hand drawn sprite artwork.

Lifeline. Not a good game per se but certainly unique. Sort of a survival horror game aboard a space station where you don't actually control the main character, but instead you use a provided USB headset to tell her what to do verbally.

-Byshop

#24 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
^I've been wanting to play Lifeline for ages, I don't have a headset though so I haven't looked for the game yet :P
#25 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

^I've been wanting to play Lifeline for ages, I don't have a headset though so I haven't looked for the game yet :PDudersaper
If you can find an intact copy it came with the headset bundled, like SOCOM.

-Byshop

#26 Posted by dbz987 (3717 posts) -

Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne

Radiata Stories

#27 Posted by Shadowchronicle (25977 posts) -
Odin Sphere or Ar Tonelico Melody of Elemia
#28 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
Killer 7, Kill.Switch, X-Squad, Psi-Ops: The Mindgate Conspiracy, Indigo Prophecy, Rez, Gitaroo Man, The Red Star, XIII, Contra: Shattered Soldier, Extermination, The Thing, Destroy All Humans!, Rise of the Kasai, Shadow of Rome, Klonoa 2: Lunatea's Veil, Road Trip, Mister Mosquito
#29 Posted by benleslie5 (7775 posts) -
  • Dark Cloud
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Okami
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Klonoa 2
  • Star Ocean Til The End of Time
#30 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -
Oh, and also Trapt, which is the spiritual succesor to the Deception games originally on PS1. Scarface: The World is Yours, a great sandbox game that in some ways rivals GTA. Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, an excellent game with a great and unique premise and story. Ico, a journey that ate my brain long after I had seen the credits, although its not so underrated anymore now that people know so much about it and the HD Collection for PS3 re-release. And some others: SWAT: Global Strike Team, Future Tactics: The Uprising, Cy Girls, and the short but sweet western GUN.
#31 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

• Dark Cloud
  • Rogue Galaxy
  • Okami
  • Beyond Good and Evil
  • Klonoa 2
  • Star Ocean Til The End of Time

benleslie5

Oooh, I forgot about Star Ocean. That game was great. Gotta love a game where the crafting system is so interesting that I forgot about the story and spent all my time trying to patent new items so I'd get the royalties.

-Byshop

#32 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

Oh, and also Trapt, which is the spiritual succesor to the Deception games originally on PS1. Scarface: The World is Yours, a great sandbox game that in some ways rivals GTA. Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, an excellent game with a great and unique premise and story. Ico, a journey that ate my brain long after I had seen the credits, although its not so underrated anymore now that people know so much about it and the HD Collection for PS3 re-release. And some others: SWAT: Global Strike Team, Future Tactics: The Uprising, Cy Girls, and the short but sweet western GUN.JogsterXL

Cy Girls and Scarface? Those games were pretty horrible. Trapt was a neat idea but with flawed execution.

-Byshop

#33 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -

[QUOTE="JogsterXL"]Oh, and also Trapt, which is the spiritual succesor to the Deception games originally on PS1. Scarface: The World is Yours, a great sandbox game that in some ways rivals GTA. Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents Under Pressure, an excellent game with a great and unique premise and story. Ico, a journey that ate my brain long after I had seen the credits, although its not so underrated anymore now that people know so much about it and the HD Collection for PS3 re-release. And some others: SWAT: Global Strike Team, Future Tactics: The Uprising, Cy Girls, and the short but sweet western GUN.Byshop

Cy Girls and Scarface? Those games were pretty horrible. Trapt was a neat idea but with flawed execution.

-Byshop

I agree with Cy Girls, but Scarface is definetly underrated :o it's such a fun game!
#34 Posted by JogsterXL (299 posts) -

-ByshopByshop

I agree with Cy Girls, but Scarface is definetly underrated :o it's such a fun game!Dudersaper

Bah, it has been a while since I last played PS2 (once I acquired a PS3, my PS2 all but died) I thought I remembered Cy Girls as being a great game, so either my memory is failing me or I was thinking of an entirely different game. I do, however, stand by my statement that Scarface was a great and underrated game, I'm sure I remember that correctly.

#35 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

I agree with Cy Girls, but Scarface is definetly underrated :o it's such a fun game!Dudersaper

My biggest gripe about Scarface is that it essentially completely missed the point of the movie. It was a movie tie-in game by a bunch of devs who didn't get the source material.

-Byshop

#36 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

personally, I think "Killswitch" was under-rated; it has some awesome 3rd person shooting gameplay, and contains alot of the duck and cover elements you now see in so many games.

#37 Posted by koospetoors (3244 posts) -

personally, I think "Killswitch" was under-rated; it has some awesome 3rd person shooting gameplay, and contains alot of the duck and cover elements you now see in so many games.

TheKungFool
I noticed some people hail it as the granddaddy of cover based shooting, might get it myself since I skipped it. Anyway: Fahrenheit was pretty darn good if you can excuse the terrible ending. Black was also a good shooter, love the sound design in that game. GUN was a great western game which I think a lot of people overlooked.
#38 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

koospetoors

I noticed some people hail it as the granddaddy of cover based shooting, might get it myself since I skipped it.

yeah, you can definitely see alot of the mechanics used in games like "Gears of War", "Mass Effect 2", "Dark Sector", etc present in "Kill Switch", I'd recommend giving it a try, especially since you can grab it for like $5

#39 Posted by Emerald_Warrior (6581 posts) -

[QUOTE="koospetoors"][QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheKungFool

I noticed some people hail it as the granddaddy of cover based shooting, might get it myself since I skipped it.

yeah, you can definitely see alot of the mechanics used in games like "Gears of War", "Mass Effect 2", "Dark Sector", etc present in "Kill Switch", I'd recommend giving it a try, especially since you can grab it for like $5

I was recently looking at it and deciding if I wanted to pick it up. You just helped me make that decision, thank you. I won't be buying it. I HATE cover-based shooters.

#40 Posted by TheKungFool (5384 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

[QUOTE="koospetoors"] I noticed some people hail it as the granddaddy of cover based shooting, might get it myself since I skipped it.Emerald_Warrior

I was recently looking at it and deciding if I wanted to pick it up. You just helped me make that decision, thank you. I won't be buying it. I HATE cover-based shooters.

fair enough friend, :lol:

yeah, if you don't like duck and cover 3rd person shooters, you'll hate KillSwitch.

#41 Posted by Eikichi-Onizuka (8022 posts) -

I liked Kill.Switch, haven't thought of that game in a long time. Some more underrated PS2 games imo:
Darkwatch
Dual Hearts
Eternal Poison
I-Ninja
Metal Saga
Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love
Smuggler's Run
Steambot Chronicles
XIII

#42 Posted by Dudersaper (32949 posts) -
[QUOTE="Eikichi-Onizuka"]Dual Hearts Metal Saga Sakura Wars: So Long, My Love

Those 3 are really high in my priority list.
#43 Posted by Allicrombie (25132 posts) -
Timesplitters 2 comes to mind.
#44 Posted by JamesHarden98 (38 posts) -

I want to pick up every single one of these games, I am trying to grow my ps2 and gba games collection

#45 Posted by fend_oblivion (6115 posts) -
Blood Will Tell - Hack n' Slash game about a guy that had 48 body parts stolen from him by demons as a baby, and now has a mostly artificial body, he sets on a quest to regain all his body parts, and eventually you're joined with a kid thief that helps you out in your adventures. Very cool storyline, you go through various places and in each place something is going on, and you have to help people out and kill demons to get your body parts back. You can different stuff with each body part (like if I'm not mistaken, when you regain your stomach, eating food regains more health, or something alon the lines of that). Doing the main story won't get you all body parts though, you'll have to revisit certain places and look for hidden places where demons can be hiding to regain all the body parts, once you get all 48 you get a true ending.Dudersaper
Right you are. One of the cool things about the game is that in the beginning, everything is monochrome. Right after you kill a demon, you regain your eye and only then do you see the world in colour. Extremely cool. I was interested in the game (it played out like an anime series) but then halfway through I got lost and couldn't figure out what to do.
#46 Posted by Byshop (11164 posts) -

I want to pick up every single one of these games, I am trying to grow my ps2 and gba games collection

JamesHarden98

I don't blame you. My PS2 collection is north of 100 titles and I doubt I'll ever get rid of it.

-Byshop

#47 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
digimon rumble arena 2 Timesplitters 2/3 Turok Evolution
#48 Posted by LookAnDrolL (2483 posts) -

Blood Will Tell - Hack n' Slash game about a guy that had 48 body parts stolen from him by demons as a baby, and now has a mostly artificial body, he sets on a quest to regain all his body parts, and eventually you're joined with a kid thief that helps you out in your adventures. Very cool storyline, you go through various places and in each place something is going on, and you have to help people out and kill demons to get your body parts back. You can different stuff with each body part (like if I'm not mistaken, when you regain your stomach, eating food regains more health, or something alon the lines of that). Doing the main story won't get you all body parts though, you'll have to revisit certain places and look for hidden places where demons can be hiding to regain all the body parts, once you get all 48 you get a true ending.

Dudersaper

Such a cool game, I remember the game was black and white till you get yours eyes back, cool