Really cool video of Xbox One's Features and UI (Faked)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By S0lidSnake
Member since 2002 • 29001 Posts

Update: Looks like the demo was faked. The movie and games were already running in the background, the share feature does not work like that, the snap feature doesn't either. This is a target render.

From Albert Panello himself:

TL:DR

Let me explain something about how this all works. I’m posting something similar on Reddit, so apologize for the repeat.

Even though we have rights to populate the *store* with Musicians, Artists, Movies, Actors, etc. – when it comes to us (as in Microsoft) publishing those types of things for marketing materials, it requires an extensive amount of approvals from those same Studios, Actors, Agents, Musicians, etc.

Also whenever we use game footage, the creator of the game wants to approve the footage. And finally, when something like this gets created, it needs to be used in a variety of ways that a direct feed video doesn’t work for.

Coordinating a live demo that is using approved game footage, and making sure every piece of content on-screen is approved by all the content owners is a logistical nightmare. So all of those constraints means it’s better sometimes to create your own video with already approved assets. EVERYONE does this. Every ad, every video, from every company does this for the same reasons.

Now, those same sorts of rights aren’t applied to the press. So there is a huge difference in what WE can put online vs. what the press can put online. That’s why, right now, we have a ton of press in SF seeing new live game builds and new dash builds. I’m sure you’ll be hearing back from them about how close this video is.

Since people want to know, I will explain in detail the areas where this video differs from the real UI.

1. The way the voice text gets created on-screen doesn’t work that way. It will appear as one block.

2. The video assumes that the user ALREADY has a movie started (hence why Pacific Rim is in the middle of the film), and ALREADY has a game started. In that cause, the UI will switch that fast.

3. The “Activity Feed” does not go over the UI like that, it snaps to the side

4. When the player resumes Titanfall, obviously he would have to “unpause” the game or however the individual game deals with coming back up. But you can absolutely have a game paused, and use your voice to launch new apps exactly how the video does.

5. The only egregious feature error is when the VO says “Xbox Share” or something similar. Now, the user would actually have to accept the notification or go to upload studio and share from there. We don’t share directly with voice.

Besides those small nuances, the transitions, speed, movement and everything else is a pretty accurate. I think it’s a fine representation of the experience.

Gotta say I love how instant everything feels. No loading times at all. I also like how easy it is to record stuff and upload it. Though I doubt I will be watching Blurays and TV, browsing the internet and skyping people all while playing TitanFall. Still, amazing technology.

Avatar image for SirSlimyScrotum
SirSlimyScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2  Edited By SirSlimyScott
Member since 2013 • 275 Posts

Where are all the Ads?

buccomatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 buccomatic
Member since 2005 • 1941 Posts

@SirSlimyScrotum said:

Where are all the Ads?

that comes after you buy it.

classic microsoft bait and switch tactic.

MathMattS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#4 MathMattS
Member since 2009 • 4012 Posts

Very impressive. Just one more thing that makes me want November 22 to be here. I can't wait.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69411 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

Gotta say I love how instant everything feels. No loading times at all. I also like how easy it is to record stuff and upload it. Though I doubt I will be watching Blurays and TV, browsing the internet and skyping people all while playing TitanFall. Still, amazing technology.

Its instant because of the allocation of resources :P.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 S0lidSnake

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

Its instant because of the allocation of resources :P.

Yup. Still wish they allocated some resources to getting 1080p. :P

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

Dammit S0lid quit trolling against the Xbo...

Oh... nevermind. ;)

Looks neat, if it runs half that good in actuality that will be a slick experience. Of course even if it runs that good for us, it'll be plastered with ads, XBL gold sub or not be damned. Which still grinds my grits.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

Looks smexy and very next gen.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#9 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

If anyone Skypes at me while I'm playing TitanFall, they're gonna get a swift kick in the kiwis next time i see them in real life.

c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#10 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Impressive. If it works as well as these staged demos do, it could very well be a good, fast UI. Have to wait and see it in action first in a non-controlled environment, though.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@c_rakestraw said:

Impressive. If it works as well as these staged demos do, it could very well be a good, fast UI. Have to wait and see it in action first in a non-controlled environment, though.

Yeah, it looks like they just added pop up graphics to a Titanfall video we've all seen many times before. I'm sure it will work fine but after hearing that the reveal demo was staged I still want to see it in person.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

Loading Video...

Solid, I am confused...You are getting an Xbox One? Thought you didn't like the console? Well if you are, welcome to the party!! Demo looks good, I like how seamless everything is. Wondering if you can jump into an online game as quick as they showed. If you can, than WOW!

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Areez

@Randolph said:

Oh... nevermind. ;)

Looks neat, if it runs half that good in actuality that will be a slick experience. Of course even if it runs that good for us, it'll be plastered with ads, XBL gold sub or not be damned. Which still grinds my grits.

Randy...No Skyping me after a victory in K.I. !!!!

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Randolph

@Areez said:

@Randolph said:

Oh... nevermind. ;)

Ok, I promise not to skype you and brag after I beat you to a bloody pulp.

That IS what you meant... right? ;)

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Areez

@Randolph said:

@Areez said:

@Randolph said:

Oh... nevermind. ;)

Ok, I promise not to skype you and brag after I beat you to a bloody pulp.

That IS what you meant... right? ;)

Yes....that is what I mean

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

It sounds like it might be smoke and mirrors, and there are a lot of leaks right now saying that the snap feature causes crashes.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#18  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

@GodModeEnabled said:

Looks smexy and very next gen.

looks very sexy innit.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pedro

@S0lidSnake said:

I guess you never heard about the power of the cloud. :o Where is Alex to defend the cloud?

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Areez

@Pedro said:

@S0lidSnake said:

I guess you never heard about the power of the cloud. :o Where is Alex to defend the cloud?

Its teh power of the cloud o_O

LOL

LoG-Sacrament

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#21  Edited By LoG-Sacrament
Member since 2006 • 20397 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

yeah, it reminds me a bit of those pickup truck commercials where the company shows off how the truck can tow a car while navigating an elaborate pendulum swing obstacle course. it's nice if it has the performance capabilities to do it and all, but it doesn't seem to have any application to how i would use the device.

i mean, i like being able to play games and watch movies on the same device. the other features are nice too. however, i don't want to use all of them at once. when i play a game, i want to focus on just the game instead of constantly pausing and playing a movie while keeping up a conversation.

this isn't just a knock on the xb1 as i'm not interested in doing similar things on a ps4 either. hell, i don't like watching a movie that i'm interested in while eating dinner :P

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By S0lidSnake

Well, shit has hit the fan the last 24 hours. Gaf, CBOAT, Kotaku and other journalists are all saying that the Xbox UI is broken as of now. Apparently the snap app crashes the games. Friends lists and other XBL features are not working, period. CBOAT said they might be fixed before launch, but seeing as how even journalists have yet to see a live demo of the UI, it seems unlikely.

Albert Panello had to explain the inaccuracies in the demo. Apparently the Share feature isnt that instantaneous and it wasn't a Live demo. This was a target render running Pacific Rim footage that did not match the timestamp, TitanFall footage that was from the Gamescom trailer, share feature that does not work as shown and snap features that do not currently exist.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Areez

@S0lidSnake said:

Well, shit has hit the fan the last 24 hours. Gaf, CBOAT, Kotaku and other journalists are all saying that the Xbox UI is broken as of now. Apparently the snap app crashes the games. Friends lists and other XBL features are not working, period. CBOAT said they might be fixed before launch, but seeing as how even journalists have yet to see a live demo of the UI, it seems unlikely.

Albert Panello had to explain the inaccuracies in the demo. Apparently the Share feature isnt that instantaneous and it wasn't a Live demo. This was a target render running Pacific Rim footage that did not match the timestamp, TitanFall footage that was from the Gamescom trailer, share feature that does not work as shown and snap features that do not currently exist.

Cant say that I am surprised by any of this. First its a MS OS, and secondly its a MS OS. Remember that MS products typically do not work until version 1.3. But I am also a bit optimistic that they will patch/fix some of these kinks out by launch. Time will tell. My guess is that we'll be seeing launch related issues on both consoles. New console tech seems to always lead to some sort of issue.

thedude-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thedude-
Member since 2009 • 2369 Posts

will it run smooth and instant in a year or two with a partially full harddrive?

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

@dvader654:

Its worth noting that Sony has already stated that suspend won't work day one though in theory everything else will be there. I will be deeply shocked if the new PSN hits the ground running though (more likely it will trip over its own feet and lay in a crumpled heap for at a few days).

http://venturebeat.com/2013/10/25/playstation-4-wont-have-its-suspend-and-resume-mode-at-launch/

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Randolph

I've also been reading some rumors that suggest the day one patch for PS4 doesn't just enable things, it also removes things. Namely the strict DRM they decided not to go with at the absolute last minute before the E3 reveal. I don't know how much truth their is to that, or any of this typical "weeks before launch" insanity, but it's an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Areez

@Randolph said:

I've also been reading some rumors that suggest the day one patch for PS4 doesn't just enable things, it also removes things. Namely the strict DRM they decided not to go with at the absolute last minute before the E3 reveal. I don't know how much truth their is to that, or any of this typical "weeks before launch" insanity, but it's an interesting tidbit nonetheless.

The Cat Randy...The cat! Its back! I am amazed by all of these leaks/rumors with MS and yet not a peep from or about Sony...No dev issues, which I am sure they have had, as it is typical with new hardware....I mean the only leak was the video of the PS4 over heating and Knack freezing during a demo. Outside of that, its been very tight lip over at Sony. No final CPU clock speeds...Nothing...MS needs to hire someone away from Sony and they should also can Al Panello.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Pedro

@Randolph said:

That would be ironic if its true.

S0lidSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By S0lidSnake

@Randolph said:

lol no. That's a bullshit rumor spread by known MS fanbots with no history of getting any rumors right.

Sony had ALWAYS said that you would be able to play your games offline. The day of the reveal, they had a roundtable and they confirmed it right then there. The rest was just internet freaking out because they were playing coy in order to have a big impact at the E3 press conference (or watching MS burn themselves which they did). There was never any online DRM. If it was, we would've heard rumors from the many dev sources which confirmed the RAM, CPU and GPU right down to the Tflops rating. Let alone, three weeks before the launch when everyone's had final devkits for months now.

I mean there was no doubt Sony was going to implement online-DRM when they are making such a massive pitch in developing countries like India, China and Brazil. They are huge in Europe too. There is no way they could've implemented any kind of DRM and still held a chance to sell consoles in those regions.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#31  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

If that video were legitimate, it would have been a great advertisement. I was impressed.

@S0lidSnake said:

@Randolph said:

lol no. That's a bullshit rumor spread by known MS fanbots with no history of getting any rumors right.

Sony had ALWAYS said that you would be able to play your games offline. The day of the reveal, they had a roundtable and they confirmed it right then there. The rest was just internet freaking out because they were playing coy in order to have a big impact at the E3 press conference (or watching MS burn themselves which they did). There was never any online DRM. If it was, we would've heard rumors from the many dev sources which confirmed the RAM, CPU and GPU right down to the Tflops rating. Let alone, three weeks before the launch when everyone's had final devkits for months now.

I mean there was no doubt Sony was going to implement online-DRM when they are making such a massive pitch in developing countries like India, China and Brazil. They are huge in Europe too. There is no way they could've implemented any kind of DRM and still held a chance to sell consoles in those regions.

I think Randolph is actually referring to the suspicions some users including myself have about the DVD and Blu-ray playback day-one firmware update.

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Randolph

@BranKetra said:

I think Randolph is actually referring to the suspicions some users including myself have about the DVD and Blu-ray playback day-one firmware update.

Rich from Review Tech USA was talking about it too. I'm not sure if he qualifies as a "MS bot" or "Sony bot" or Optimus Prime or whatever. I don't get too heavily into the wonderful world of video game industry sabotage spying and drama intrigue places like Gaf and Kotaku specialize in. I'll defer to S0lid on that stuff, but I like that guy because he's funny, and his videos all start with a drunk guy and an explosion, and it makes me laugh.

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Areez

@Randolph:

Gaf and Kotaku are like the Sun or National Enquire of gaming....it is where the extreme uber nerds get their fix...

I am fairly sure that the patch does not remove DRM as Sony decided to scratch that idea all together. I have not read the article you are referring too...I"ll have to Google it!

LOL@Optimus Prime

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#34  Edited By branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

@Randolph said:

@BranKetra said:

Rich from Review Tech USA was talking about it too. I'm not sure if he qualifies as a "MS bot" or "Sony bot" or Optimus Prime or whatever. I don't get too heavily into the wonderful world of video game industry sabotage spying and drama intrigue places like Gaf and Kotaku specialize in. I'll defer to S0lid on that stuff, but I like that guy because he's funny, and his videos all start with a drunk guy and an explosion, and it makes me laugh.

I do not, either. I go to the System Wars forum here on GS and I witness a terrible amount of drama. At the same time, I would like to get on NeoGAF to talk with industry insiders.

Anyway, I found that video. He does not specify what the PS4 DRM would be for. Whatever he was sharing, Shuhei Yoshida called it stupid.

https://twitter.com/yosp/status/394805559175553024

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

@S0lidSnake said:

@Randolph said:

I can't remember who it was but I know for sure there was an IGN interview article with a Sony boss where they stated that they were considering DRM but decided against it. Given this was back in June so why they would need an update to remove it idk.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@firefox59 said:

I can't remember who it was but I know for sure there was an IGN interview article with a Sony boss where they stated that they were considering DRM but decided against it. Given this was back in June so why they would need an update to remove it idk.

Probably the same reason the Xbox One would have a "make not crappy" day one patch.