RE should go back to its root.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by magicalclick (22844 posts) -

To be honest, I haven't played any other RE except RE5, which is fun BTW. But, I think RE should go back to its root. At least that's my impression of its early games. It should be more survival, horror, adventure game.

The protagonist should be weak average private investigator instead of some over the top action hero. The zombie should be slower. The area should be smaller to like a castle with lots of locked doors or blocked paths. Only use classic weapons. And less actions, more quiet creepy rooms, and seeing zombie is more frightening when they slowly come to bite the weak protagonist. It is more about atomsphere, not about cool action sequences. And there could be lots of intense action sequences RELATIVE to the character. For example, facing zombie dog would be actually scary due to its faster speed, and 5 of them would create a massive challenge. And just escape from something could be a challenge to the character because it would have stamina issues instead of someone who can rush for 10 miles.

what do you think?

#2 Posted by jasean79 (2375 posts) -

Sounds good to me. RE games had a silent hill feel to them and that's what made them so awesome. The creepy music, and the suspense of not knowing when something was going to crash through a window at you. I miss those elements.

If they were redo the game to these standards, I would only ask that they do away with the red/green/blue herbs. I hated running for my life with no "secret room" in sight and only one green herb on me. Not cool. lol

#3 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

If you really wanted Resident Evil to become genuinely authentic, they would begin winding down the series already instead of mass producing these shitty sequelitis cash grabs. That's not to say that they couldn't work on a new series that could be a spiritual successor to Resident Evil also in the spirit of survival horror.

But it's Capcom so expect more shitty sequels. Shame on anyone for buying that crap.

#4 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (13688 posts) -

I think you're a Masochist !don't get me wrong, I get horror and adventure but survival ? Why make the game unnecessarily hard ?

Also, I encourage you to Play Beyond Two Souls, its got horror, real horror that would make President Evil remake Blush, obviously the entire game doesn't have horror, its only two of its twenty chapers, and the best part is its not bogged by crap like "survival".

Seriously though.... Why survival ?

#5 Edited by iamllamapie (211 posts) -

Resident Evil should *end*. Horror games are carried behind the mystery of what has caused the situation the characters find themselves in and Resident Evil's has all but finished. While Silent Hill may be salvageable it's time to make a new IP (such as Shinji Mikami's The Evil Within).

#6 Posted by stizzal13 (602 posts) -

@Lulu_Lulu said:

I think you're a Masochist !don't get me wrong, I get horror and adventure but survival ? Why make the game unnecessarily hard ?

Also, I encourage you to Play Beyond Two Souls, its got horror, real horror that would make President Evil remake Blush, obviously the entire game doesn't have horror, its only two of its twenty chapers, and the best part is its not bogged by crap like "survival".

Seriously though.... Why survival ?

If someone enjoys a horror game, it does not necessarily make them a masochist.

As far as difficulty is concerned, that is just a matter of opinion. "unnecessarily hard?"...really...

#7 Posted by Chozofication (2932 posts) -

Capcom is a rotting corpse.

You should look forward to the evil within if you like survival horror.

#8 Posted by turtlethetaffer (16793 posts) -

REmake was awesome. Pretty much the creepiest game in the series, by far, although RE4 definitely had some good horror moments (Regenerators, anyone?) the issue is that, even with RE at its scariest, it still can't top its old rival Silent Hill. SH can be truly terrifying, but RE never really gets past "creepy" thanks to its cheesy (but fun) plot and science fiction angle.

#9 Posted by Blueresident87 (5339 posts) -

That would be awesome, but you can expect it to never happen

#10 Posted by magicalclick (22844 posts) -

@LuLu_LuLu:

I didn't think much went I said survival. I thought it was an survival game for limited ammos. But yeah, I wouldn't want hardcore survival. Maybe just a bit.

And as for my personality. Well yes, I am, and I am happy with it. *blush*

#11 Posted by chicknfeet (15629 posts) -

Wouldn't mind if they did a REmake 2. The first one they did on the Gamecube was pretty freaking awesome and it would be nice to see RE2 get an update...perhaps on the PS store or XBLA

#12 Posted by -ParaNormaN- (834 posts) -

Personally, I think Resident Evil has evolved way too much to go back to their roots. The reason why the older games were so different is because it was the beginning of an outbreak. After RE4, the survivors were prepared for those type of situations and knew what was coming. That's why Chris and Jill joined the BSAA, to fight bio terrorism. That's why its more action than scary. Resident Evil Revelation was suppose to be RE back at its roots and it was still more of an action game. So I doubt RE will ever become what it was a decade or so ago.

#13 Edited by Lulu_Lulu (13688 posts) -

@ stizzal13

I never said survival. Horror I get. Its not oppinion, so called "managing of resources" is not actually difficult, its inconvenient.

#14 Posted by ACP_45 (434 posts) -

They should learn from games like all the Silent Hills

They are the ultimate survival horror games and they mess you up pretty bad if you immerse yourself into them.

Also they have the most difficult puzzles ever.

I had to play them with a pen and paper next to me to write things down that I might come in handy in the following areas.

Also they test your Shakespear’ quite a lot in one of them can’t remember which one though. Felt sorry for people who couldn’t speak English.

If RE could do what Silent Hill has done for years now, they would be back on track.

Is there anything as weird creepy and intensely terrifying as Silent Hill games.

#15 Edited by Shmiity (5149 posts) -

I agree... but this interview with RE creator Shinji Mikami explains it all. Broke my heart (and his) Article

#16 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

Looks we got to the 'root' of the problem! Saved again!

#17 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

If Capcom got a team together and told them to make a traditional Resident Evil game, it would suck.

Why?

Because everyone that made those games so special left long ago. It would just be a team of people trying to duplicate something just to scratch that nostalgic itch of the fans, not because of passion or interest in actually making a game like that.

That's why Silent Hill is so bad right now. Team Silent made a few masterpieces, disbanded, and the people making it now just don't get it. Downpour had fine enough atmosphere but it just didn't have the intensity that 2 or 3 had. Homecoming added in monsters just because they became iconic to the Silent Hill brand, but the developers clearly had no idea why those monsters existed in SH2.

So while I think Resident Evil is far past its prime, going back would likely be an uninspired disaster. Let's all look ahead and hope for the best when The Evil Within nears release.

#18 Edited by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

Title died with the those stupid movies.

#19 Edited by bezza2011 (2559 posts) -

Your best bet is to go get yourself read up on the evil within the guy behind that game is pretty much the king of survival horror, to alot of resi fans and it looks real good

#20 Edited by bowchicka07 (1075 posts) -

@bezza2011 said:

Your best bet is to go get yourself read up on the evil within the guy behind that game is pretty much the king of survival horror, to alot of resil fans and it looks real good

There is only one king of horror and that is Mr. King and he does not share power.