QTE's just won't go away...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by istuffedsunny (6985 posts) -

I'm finally forcing myself to play through RE6 for the story's sake, and I'm surprised it's actually a decent story. But my god the QTE's. I've finished 2 of the 4 campaigns and every single death (at least 20) was by QTE.

It was the exact same thing with Tomb Raider and GOW: Ascension this year - me dying a dozen times during some stupid chase scene or some bridge collapsing, etc - there's never any skill involved, just guesswork and timing. Even the final bosses in RE6 are just straight up QTE's.

Have developers given up at making games truly challening? Does anyone actually LIKE this?

#2 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

As long as they're not done too often and not at awkward moments I'm fine with them.  Like in Resident Evil 4, they were never annoying to me.

#3 Posted by wiouds (5615 posts) -

I'm finally forcing myself to play through RE6 for the story's sake, and I'm surprised it's actually a decent story. But my god the QTE's. I've finished 2 of the 4 campaigns and every single death (at least 20) was by QTE.

It was the exact same thing with Tomb Raider and GOW: Ascension this year - me dying a dozen times during some stupid chase scene or some bridge collapsing, etc - there's never any skill involved, just guesswork and timing. Even the final bosses in RE6 are just straight up QTE's.

Have developers given up at making games truly challening? Does anyone actually LIKE this?

istuffedsunny

I do not mince QTE when it is done right but many are misusing it.

As for the developers given up at making games truly challening, what does that mean? More life for enemies? changes attacks? better staging?

With checkpoints being place better even challenging parts of the game can be done without restarting the game. The new Sly cooper game have a number of challenging parts but the checks points make it easy to deal with since I am just repeating those parts.

#4 Posted by Allicrombie (25580 posts) -
cant stand QTEs
#5 Posted by mikeyMKII (754 posts) -

I'm definitely sick of them.

#6 Posted by Pffrbt (6601 posts) -

Like in Resident Evil 4, they were never annoying to me.bowserjr123

Even when they popped up completely by surprise during cutscenes which is blatantly stupid and bad design?

#7 Posted by Spartan_N7 (581 posts) -
It depends on how often theyre used and in what type of situation. I dont mind how theyre used in the God of War series, and I didnt mind it in Resident Evil 4 (Havent gotten around to playing 6 yet). However, if I had to do one every time I wanted to open a door or so, I would be annoyed.
#8 Posted by Gallowhand (480 posts) -

I don't like QTEs.  Most of the time there is simply no point to them, and I feel they are a crutch for bad design.

#9 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

I don't mind them in moderation.

I really liked the way Tomb Raider did it. It had designated prompts for each various QTE. For example, if it was a one button push you had to time right it was always triangle, if it was something you had to mash it was always square. There wasn't annoying surprises and it made the game flow better.

#10 Posted by Floppy_Jim (25834 posts) -
I'm OK with them in the God of War series because they generally aren't intrusive and the resulting gore is satisfying. Resi 6 was just ridiculous. QTE's are something we need a lot less of.
#11 Posted by Venom_Raptor (6958 posts) -

I don't like RE6 but I like QTEs in general.

#12 Posted by Jackc8 (8500 posts) -

I've never liked QTE's at all.  Seeing some button graphic being displayed on the screen destroys the immersion and they're not really any sort of gameplay mechanic, they're just a button memorization test.  I suppose it makes it easier for developers because they're really nothing more than a trigger for the next pre-rendered cutscene to play.

#13 Posted by heatsword (25 posts) -

I only find QTE's unbearable when they happen doing a cutscene as i tend to miss out on what actually happens because i have to keep a lookout for buttons to press.

#14 Posted by GodModeEnabled (15314 posts) -
They are lame and need to die off quick and quiet I agree.
#15 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18430 posts) -
I didn't mind the QTE in Tomb Raider but normally I do find them annoying.
#16 Posted by Archangel3371 (16450 posts) -
I don't mind them myself and sometimes I kind of like having them there. I didn't really have any problems with them in RE6 myself.
#17 Posted by 23Jarek23 (2618 posts) -

The worst thing about QTE's other than games that over use them is during a cutscene. Cutscene starts playing, you wait, it continues on, so you put the control down then 3 minutes later boom, QTE and you die, suddenly, you've got to watch the whole scene again...fuuuu

#18 Posted by yellosnolvr (19302 posts) -
they were being used sparingly and creatively until 2006/07, then they just became fillers and cheap attempts at creating an 'experience' lul
#19 Posted by bowserjr123 (1624 posts) -

[QUOTE="bowserjr123"] Like in Resident Evil 4, they were never annoying to me.Pffrbt

Even when they popped up completely by surprise during cutscenes which is blatantly stupid and bad design?

I honestly didn't mind them that much, like when running away from certain enemies in a cutscene it's not like you were doing anything else anyway. 

In games like God of War, however, they appeared in the middle of boss battles which were definitely more annoying and I'd consider that "blatantly stupid and bad design."

#20 Posted by wyan_ (605 posts) -

If only Yu Suzuki and Sega had trademarked this abomination from the start... Shenpoo anyone?

#21 Posted by Yusuke420 (2770 posts) -

If only Yu Suzuki and Sega had trademarked this abomination from the start... Shenpoo anyone?

wyan_

Shenmue is a classic that not only pioneered QTE's. but also dynamic weather patterns that took place in a realistic calander year. In short you bashing just shows your woeful understanding of gaming greatness. 

#22 Posted by lamprey263 (26082 posts) -
it doesn't bug me too much except in those cinematic parts, what bugs me about zombie grapples is you can mash to fight off instantly and still take lots of damage, bugs me they didn't balance reaction time
#23 Posted by wiouds (5615 posts) -

Times I do not have a problem with them:

Moments in game play that is too different and rare to justify the complex code.

If there two paths that can be taken depending one how well you act in the QTE.

I hate it when it in cut scenes  of the game.

#24 Posted by 1PMrFister (3134 posts) -

[QUOTE="wyan_"]

Yusuke420

Shenmue is a classic that not only pioneered QTE's.

Dragon's Lair says hi.
#25 Posted by ArchonOver (1103 posts) -
I don't hate them as much as most people do, and in games like GoW, I actually end up liking them.
#26 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
They are annoying, that's for sure.
#27 Posted by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

I like quick time events when they're well implemented. They never bothered me in Resident Evil 6.

#28 Posted by Ish_basic (4155 posts) -

QUOTE="IndianaPwns39"

"I really liked the way Tomb Raider did it. It had designated prompts for each various QTE. For example, if it was a one button push you had to time right it was always triangle, if it was something you had to mash it was always square. There wasn't annoying surprises and it made the game flow better." /end

Yeah, and this is really the only "good" way to do them. Games like RE are always trying to suprise you by changing up the button presses required to perform similar actions. The only thing this really accomplishes is distracting you from the cinematic element because you have to watch closely for the prompts. If anything, i'd prefer static controls and a simple screen flash (like in Dragon's Lair) when I needed to enter something...the context of the situation tipping me off as to what button I should press. And just an aside, lag + QTEs in RE5 co-op....thanks, Capcom, master of QTE fail.

QTEs were novel at first, but I can't stand them anymore. They're like the videogame equivalent of herpes - they never really go away and are always popping up at the worst times.

[QUOTE="Yusuke420"]

[QUOTE="wyan_"]

1PMrFister

Shenmue is a classic that not only pioneered QTE's.

Dragon's Lair says hi.

Yu Suzuki only pioneered the the phrase, "quick time event." Shenmue actually wasn't even the first Sega game, let alone the first game, to use them. That dubious honor goes to Die Hard Arcade back in the mid 90s. A game released in the 70s, the Driver, is actually credited with pioneering this gameplay concept. But I wouldn't argue that Suzuki revolutionized the way this concept was implemented in games.

#29 Posted by coasterguy65 (6366 posts) -

I really can't stand QTE. I wish they would just go away.

#30 Posted by Cyberdot (3926 posts) -

Yeah, it's sad. I just don't like them.

I was quite excited about Tomb Raider, but after hearing from users about the amount of QTEs in the game, I began to lose interest in the game. Now I don't think I'll buy it, since I prefer to enjoy games that doesn't play by themselves. I want to be in control.

#31 Posted by JustPlainLucas (75132 posts) -

every single death (at least 20) was by QTE.

me dying a dozen times during some stupid chase scene or some bridge collapsing

there's never any skill involved

Have developers given up at making games truly challening?

istuffedsunny

Seems like QTEs are challenging you.  Maybe  you should get skilled at QTEs?  :P

#32 Posted by JustPlainLucas (75132 posts) -

Yeah, it's sad. I just don't like them.

I was quite excited about Tomb Raider, but after hearing from users about the amount of QTEs in the game, I began to lose interest in the game. Now I don't think I'll buy it, since I prefer to enjoy games that doesn't play by themselves. I want to be in control.

Cyberdot
It really isn't that bad, and a throwback to the old Tomb Raiders actually makes good use of one.
#33 Posted by MLBknights58 (5015 posts) -

I find QTE's can be really fun in certain moments, like RE4 and Shenmue.

I don't mind them at all really.  

#34 Posted by Business_Fun (2282 posts) -

QTEs rule.

#35 Posted by Beagle050 (729 posts) -

I wouldn't care about them if they didn't add needless / dull artificial difficulty to a game. There's almost always a checkpoint before them too (having a QTE without a checkpoint before it is extremely unfair), which means you're just doing a sequence the second time around that you already know.

They aren't fun unless if you're playing a game like Heavy Rain. In most other games, they're out of place. It also heavily depends on how they're implemented. Badly implemented QTE are frustrating and beating them doesn't feel like an accomplishment.

#36 Posted by AlexKidd5000 (1922 posts) -
does anyone know when QTE's first appeared in games? FMV games from the early to mid 90's!
#37 Posted by ESPM400 (96 posts) -
I've always said that I don't mind them if they're done right, but the more I think on it, the more I realize that I can't think of a single game that I've played where QTEs were a positive experience, with the exception of the game noted below. Tomb Raider came close, as the QTEs weren't bad once I got used to them, and it took that, a lot of getting used to. Over the last 25 or so years of gaming it's been hardwired into my brain that cinematics are a point where you can put down the controller/keyboard and either watch the story unfold, or take a break from some hectic gameplay. With TR, there were a few times where I died because of this, and even late game, had to catch myself in the process of putting down the controller. One game that I throughly enjoyed despite poor QTE implementation was Far Cry 3. I know the 'bosses' are humans, but strictly QTEs is no way to do a boss fight.
does anyone know when QTE's first appeared in games? FMV games from the early to mid 90's!AlexKidd5000
The first one I remember is 'Sewer Shark' for Sega CD. 50% of the gameplay was QTEs, if you count following the directions of your robot QTEs, and frankly, I loved that game, back in the day, incredibly cheesy cut-scenes and all.