Puppeteer Impressions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-INKling-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By -INKling-
Member since 2007 • 4237 Posts

Disappointing. I could probably stop right there. Puppeteer has filled me with buyer’s remorse after impulsively getting it in the PSN New Years Sale. I should have stopped after Brothers and Ni No Kuni but I was wowed by the price tag and, more regretfully, the discount. I always scoff when my wife comes home and tells me how much money was knocked off the coat she bought before telling me how much she actually spent, after all a £30 coat is still a £30 coat even if it started at £30,000, but I fell into the exact same trap. Viciously hoisted by my own petard.

The clever folks at Eurogamer summed it up a lot clearer than I could in their excellent review but Puppeteer is a clear case of vision exceeding mechanics. The theatrical presentation is beautiful and as stages progress it really feels like scenery is being madly shunted around by invisible stage hands with energetic characters being operated by master puppeteers. The silly story and script are like a chaotic pantomime and you can see the love that has been poured into the presentation aspect of the game. The problem is that it never stops. It seems that these actors don’t know when to leave the audience begging for more as cut scenes always feel that little bit too long. What’s worse is when you do get to do a bit of platforming the level design feels rudimentary and there is a lot of unexplored potential, particularly in the variety of heads that the main character can equip. Like I said, disappointing.

Grieverr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#1  Edited By Grieverr
Member since 2002 • 2835 Posts

Hmm... That's disappointing to hear, I was most likely going to buy it in this 14 for 14 sale.

There seems to be a growing segment of games that are more art than game. And I certainly appreciate an artist's vision, but there needs to be an engaging game as well. I'll have to give this a try before buying it.

marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

Im debating on buying it on psn. Its so cheap.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Couldn't take TC seriously when he thinks a $30 coat is still a $30 coat even if it retails for $30,000.

IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#4  Edited By IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

I really enjoyed Puppeteer. The various tools and gadgets you get, the tight level design, the fantastic boss battles, and the whimsical (almost insane) story made it one of the most memorable platformers in years.

I think it over does it with the cinematics early on but after you get going with calibrus (I have no idea how to spell it, but they're the scissors) and the levels start opening up, it's quite exciting.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I feel the same way about this game. It's all flash and no substance. It's presentation and creativity is top of the line, but the platforming mechanics and level design are really sloppy and mediocre at best. I was incredibly disappointed. I'm a huge platforming fan and am used to these kinds of games having a lot more quality in those two all important aspects.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

I loved Puppeteer. The gameplay variety doesn't spring from the heads (which are used as activation keys for bonus levels and hidden content and are of use only a time or three in any given level) but from the weapons the hero slow acquires (there are five counting the scissors) each of which completely changes gameplay/level design and often opens up old stuff in new levels.

*Shrugs* But if the TC didn't like it, he didn't like it, nothing is for everyone.

gregbmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 gregbmil
Member since 2004 • 2703 Posts

I didn't think it was anything special either. I played though the whole thing but I have no intentions of ever playing it again.

-INKling-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 -INKling-

I thought I was the only one that wasn't keen on this game. I can see why people enjoy it but it really wasn't for me. However, I would still keep an eye out for a sequel though as there is plenty of great ideas in there.

-INKling-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By -INKling-

@shellcase86: I said that because of things like this. Many retailers start products with inflated prices to then discount them at a later date.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

Touche, TC.