PSX vs. N64 or SNES vs. Genesis: Which war was better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#101 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -
[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

it goes mechanics/gameplay>sound>graphics

rilpas
but the snes has the worst gameplay out of the two :?

yeah , but its on a Nintendo console, so obviously it must the best (that was sarcasm btw) and yeah the PS1 version is pretty good, though ironically its the music that I don't like in int.
#102 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

but why are we arguing over this we all know why sega no longer sells consoles lol

conkertheking1
because of people like you? it must be :P
#103 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

it goes mechanics/gameplay>sound>graphics

Darkman2007

but the snes has the worst gameplay out of the two :?

yeah , but its on a Nintendo console, so obviously it must the best (that was sarcasm btw) and yeah the PS1 version is pretty good, though ironically its the music that I don't like in int.

though I prefer the classic themes, I don't mind the quasi-horror style they tried to create on the PS1 and N64

#104 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

yeah both those versions are better than the snes and 32x versions

#105 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"] but the snes has the worst gameplay out of the two :?rilpas

though I prefer the classic themes, I don't mind the quasi-horror style they tried to create on the PS1 and N64

3DO still has the best music , why it wasn't used for later versions I will never know.
#106 Posted by PSP107 (12479 posts) -

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="rilpas"]PS1 > Genesis = SNES > N64rilpas

You got it backwards. SNES>>>>>Genesis PS1>>>>>N64

Snes better then the Genesis? nah

Genesis has the best version of shadowrun

So you based this on one game?

#107 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

but why are we arguing over this we all know why sega no longer sells consoles lol

Darkman2007

Sega's games were great but Sega's consoles left a lot to be desired imo.

Master System was fine for it's time but it was too weak to handle arcade ports like Space Harrier, Mega Drive had crappy sound in some games, grainy colors, only 3 button default pad, Game Gear ate batteries, Saturn was expensive, slower than PS1 in 3D, poor support, ect.

DC was imo the only console they got right but it flopped.

#108 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"]

nameless12345

Master System was fine for it's time but it was too weak to handle arcade ports like Space Harrier, Mega Drive had crappy sound in some games, grainy colors, only 3 button default pad, Game Gear ate batteries, Saturn was expensive, slower than PS1 in 3D, poor support, ect.

you could say the same about Nintendo's systems, none of them (apart from maybe the Gamecube) , were perfect, they were either lacking something, or outdone by a competitor. still sold though.
#109 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] because of people like you? it must be :PDarkman2007

you could say the same about Nintendo's systems, none of them (apart from maybe the Gamecube) , were perfect, they were either lacking something, or outdone by a competitor. still sold though.

The difference is Nintendo made games exclusive for their systems whereas Sega ported a lot of games from the arcades.

#110 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"] You got it backwards. SNES>>>>>Genesis PS1>>>>>N64 PSP107

I base this on several games. but Shadowrun for the genesis is one of the most criminally underrated of it's time

#111 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="nameless12345"]

nameless12345

The difference is Nintendo made games exclusive for their systems whereas Sega ported a lot of games from the arcades.

I see that as a positive, not a weakness

#112 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] you could say the same about Nintendo's systems, none of them (apart from maybe the Gamecube) , were perfect, they were either lacking something, or outdone by a competitor. still sold though.rilpas

exactly, what really helped Nintendo was not the arcade thing, but the fact they had some hit games early on , combined with good marketing, and quite frankly, a lack of competition early on (it was really the only current console in the west for a while), it helped them alot, . of course they continued to make hit games afterwards , but that early lead helped them alot besides, what does having games in the arcade , have to do with the hardware being insufficient or flawed on either system? :P seems like moving the goal post to me.
#113 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

Darkman2007

exactly, what really helped Nintendo was not the arcade thing, but the fact they had some hit games early on , combined with good marketing, and quite frankly, a lack of competition early on (it was really the only current console in the west for a while), it helped them alot, . of course they continued to make hit games afterwards , but that early lead helped them alot besides, what does having games in the arcade , have to do with the hardware being insufficient or flawed on either system? :P seems like moving the goal post to me.

personally I love all of Sega's systems, ironically, I feel that the dreamcast is actually their weakest home console (not count handhelds) as I feel too many of it's games were ported to the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube.

#114 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

personally I love all of Sega's systems, ironically, I feel that the dreamcast is actually their weakest home console (not count handhelds) as I feel too many of it's games were ported to the PS2, Xbox and Gamecube.

my favourite Sega console is obviously, still the Saturn, the Dreamcast is really good though, and while the Mega Drive/Mega CD combo is a pain to connect, is good too Master System is the one I generally play the least, though that could be for a variety of reasons
#115 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"] exactly, what really helped Nintendo was not the arcade thing, but the fact they had some hit games early on , combined with good marketing, and quite frankly, a lack of competition early on (it was really the only current console in the west for a while), it helped them alot, . of course they continued to make hit games afterwards , but that early lead helped them alot besides, what does having games in the arcade , have to do with the hardware being insufficient or flawed on either system? :P seems like moving the goal post to me.Darkman2007

my favourite Sega console is obviously, still the Saturn, the Dreamcast is really good though, and while the Mega Drive/Mega CD combo is a pain to connect, is good too Master System is the one I generally play the least, though that could be for a variety of reasons

mmmm... I can't decide myself, I love the master system and the Saturn

the genesis is great too, but I can play a lot of it's games on other consoles as well these days

#116 Posted by PSP107 (12479 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

I base this on several games. but Shadowrun for the genesis is one of the most criminally underrated of it's time

The Genesis 3 button/Dpad was a messed when it comes multiplat.
#117 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"] So you based this on one game?

PSP107

yeah it was pretty weak for fighting games.

But outside that I quite like it

#118 Posted by PSP107 (12479 posts) -

[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

Only Genesis exclusives the controller was acceptable.

#119 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"] The Genesis 3 button/Dpad was a messed when it comes multiplat.PSP107

I wholeheartedly disagree. I thought it was a great controller for every genre except fighting games

#120 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

You can play Sonic with just one button anyway...

:P

#121 Posted by Heirren (19338 posts) -
The Genesis 3 button controller dpad was horrible. I think it's one of the lousiest dpads in existence. It was normal to get blisters on anything back then, but this thing provided zero grip, and was far too raised(for my liking). Personally I thought the master system had a better dpad.
#122 Posted by luckykoopsie (345 posts) -

ps1 had alot of games in many genres but i found the n64 to be a better source for games superior to the ps1's library

#123 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

ps1 had alot of games in many genres but i found the n64 to be a better source for games superior to the ps1's library

luckykoopsie
what makes you think that?
#124 Posted by PSP107 (12479 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"]

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

I wholeheartedly disagree. I thought it was a great controller for every genre except fighting games

Sports for sure were also better on SNES. Pretty much all genre work better on SNES.
#125 Posted by conkertheking1 (833 posts) -

genesis was a graet system but the snes just came out on top

#126 Posted by godzillavskong (7900 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"] You got it backwards. SNES>>>>>Genesis PS1>>>>>N64 conkertheking1

snes has a better version of doom. so what about shadowrun

Isn't the Genesis Mortal Kombat superior also? No blood in the SNES title was there? Or am I mistaken?
#127 Posted by godzillavskong (7900 posts) -
[QUOTE="PSP107"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"] Only Genesis exclusives the controller was acceptable.

Sports for sure were also better on SNES. Pretty much all genre work better on SNES.

What! How bout Joe Montana Sports Talk Football? Just kidding. I did love that game however, but it couldn't hold a candle to the madden series.
#128 Posted by godzillavskong (7900 posts) -
The Genesis 3 button controller dpad was horrible. I think it's one of the lousiest dpads in existence. It was normal to get blisters on anything back then, but this thing provided zero grip, and was far too raised(for my liking). Personally I thought the master system had a better dpad.Heirren
Yeah. The genesis 6 button controller is way better then the 3 button.
#129 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="conkertheking1"] snes has a better version of doom. so what about shadowrungodzillavskong
Isn't the Genesis Mortal Kombat superior also? No blood in the SNES title was there? Or am I mistaken?

yep, the genesis had the better version of MK 1, not just for the blood though, the SNES version had some hit detection issues, glitches and exploits not found in the genesis version

as for doom, meh, both the SNES and the 32x versions are pretty bad, it's like arguing who's the fastest snail, in the end they're both slow.

as for shadowrun, it's quite literally one of the most impressive console games of it's time and it got sorely overlooked, it's an openworld RPG with dialog trees and choice/consequence and you could learn various optional non combat skills.

If you ever wanted to know what would a game like Fallout or the elder scrolls look like on a 16 bit console, just play shadowrun on the genesis

#130 Posted by Pixel-Perfect (5778 posts) -

SNES vs. Genesis is the definitive console war.

#131 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

Pixel-Perfect

it's interesting though, in 10 years, we're going to have a generation that will claim that the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 is the definitive console war.

And to be fair, the MS vs Sony war of this generation is the closest thing we've had to a real console war since the 16 bit days

#132 Posted by godzillavskong (7900 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

rilpas

it's interesting though, in 10 years, we're going to have a generation that will claim that the PS3 vs. Xbox 360 is the definitive console war.

And to be fair, the MS vs Sony war of this generation is the closest thing we've had to a real console war since the 16 bit days

True. The ps2 , GameCube , and Xbox era really wasn't a war, since the ps2 dominated, and not to mention the Xbox and GameCube didn't stick around that long. Xbox360 and ps3 have been around for a bit now .
#133 Posted by Jag85 (5641 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

rilpas

The PS360 war is for second place though.
#134 Posted by Heirren (19338 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

rilpas

What separates them is the sega/Nintendo factor. Sega and Nintendo were/are game companies by trade, and we're at the top of their game back then. They also manufactured their own consoles--sega even attempted to go to war with nintendos portable market. On top of all that, there was the back and fourth ads on tv and in the magazines. I just don't think that exists anymore.
#135 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

What separates them is the sega/Nintendo factor. Sega and Nintendo were/are game companies by trade, and we're at the top of their game back then. They also manufactured their own consoles--sega even attempted to go to war with nintendos portable market. On top of all that, there was the back and fourth ads on tv and in the magazines. I just don't think that exists anymore.Heirren

The PS360 war is for second place though.Jag85

hence why I said It's the closest thing :P

though personally I feel that the current console war is fought more by the fans then the actual companies, specially on youtube

#136 Posted by PSP107 (12479 posts) -

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"] snes has a better version of doom. so what about shadowrunrilpas

yep, the genesis had the better version of MK 1, not just for the blood though, the SNES version had some hit detection issues, glitches and exploits not found in the genesis version

as for doom, meh, both the SNES and the 32x versions are pretty bad, it's like arguing who's the fastest snail, in the end they're both slow.

as for shadowrun, it's quite literally one of the most impressive console games of it's time and it got sorely overlooked, it's an openworld RPG with dialog trees and choice/consequence and you could learn various optional non combat skills.

If you ever wanted to know what would a game like Fallout or the elder scrolls look like on a 16 bit console, just play shadowrun on the genesis

But eventually one snail is more faster than the other. What exploits in MK had in the SNES version?
#137 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

But eventually one snail is more faster than the other. PSP107

and then what? in the end you're still playing two very poor conversions, why would you want to subject yourself to that?

What exploits in MK had in the SNES version?PSP107

I can't remember them exactly, but basically you could pull off unlockable combos not present in any other version

#138 Posted by TREN-HEAD (25 posts) -
I think the best console was the PS1 by a long shot, however, the best games from back then, Goldeneye and Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, imho.
#139 Posted by PSP107 (12479 posts) -

rilpas "and then what? in the end you're still playing two very poor conversions, why would you want to subject yourself to that?"

But of the 2 versions, which one will I/you choose if force to pick?

#140 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

rilpas "and then what? in the end you're still playing two very poor conversions, why would you want to subject yourself to that?"

PSP107

I don't know, maybe the 32X, it's missing half the levels but at least it's playable

#141 Posted by MonkeySpot (6070 posts) -

For my money, the most fun "war" was definitely the SNES vs. Genesis... That was a GREAT time for gamers, where competition bred innovation, as well as some phenomenal flops... It was a colorful time to be in the hobby. Now, with so many games being multi-plat and looking & playing much-the-same no matter what you play on, the heat of battle has cooled tremendously.

#142 Posted by nameless12345 (15125 posts) -

I find it interesting how SNES and Genesis/MD both had different hardware strenghts.

For example the faster CPU in MD was more suitable for games with many parallax layers and even 3D polygon games and it's sound chip was somewhat neat for techno and rock/metal soundtracks whereas the SNES was more suitable for more colorful games and sprite rotation/scaling, i.e. the "Mode 7", and had a more "all purpose" sound chip.

Here's two examples of flight games running on both systems, utilizing their strenghts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qchb6A07QsU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d23T6ofamw

Now 3D graphics became viable on the SNES too with the Super FX chip but Genesis could do them without any addon chips without slowing down too much.

Getting Mode 7-style effects out of Genesis was a little more complicated however.

#143 Posted by godzillavskong (7900 posts) -

[QUOTE="PSP107"]

rilpas

I don't know, maybe the 32X, it's missing half the levels but at least it's playable

I prefer the 32x version of mkII . It seems like the best one to me, even better than the Saturn version.
#144 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="PSP107"]

godzillavskong

I prefer the 32x version of mkII . It seems like the best one to me, even better than the Saturn version.

the PC version might actually be the best at the time, but as far as consoles, 32X version might actually be better than the PS1/Saturn versions. those 2 have all sorts of little issues with them
#145 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

Darkman2007

the PC version might actually be the best at the time, but as far as consoles, 32X version might actually be better than the PS1/Saturn versions. those 2 have all sorts of little issues with them

what about the SNES version?

also, it's possible that the PC version suffers from the same issue Primal Rage did for me :P

meaning, that windows doesn't register when three or more keys are being pressed at once

#146 Posted by Darkman2007 (17929 posts) -

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="godzillavskong"] I prefer the 32x version of mkII . It seems like the best one to me, even better than the Saturn version.rilpas

what about the SNES version?

also, it's possible that the PC version suffers from the same issue Primal Rage did for me :P

meaning, that windows doesn't register when three or more keys are being pressed at once

I had the PC DOS version , it was a very good version , not arcade perfect, but close. also it had support for the Gravis and SC55 , so potentially the music could be better than the arcade. it also has VGA obviously , so 256 colours, and the controls are decent enough. the SNES version is good , given what the console can do , its a good port, its just I find the PC to be better.
#147 Posted by Lucianu (9639 posts) -

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

rilpas

Nah, that's not true. The reason why the SNES/Genesis war is so memorable and legendary is because of those awesome commercials and the huge difference between the console (SNES games looked better but moved slower, Genesis looked worse and moved faster, the differences between their imagines, their exclusives, their overall library focus - Genesis Shumps & arcade games, SNES platformers, RPGs etc.) which kids these days still watch in amusement on Youtube.

There never was, and there will never be another gritty rivalry like Nintendo vs. SEGA. The PS3/360 are practically the same, with 0 imagine, with barely any exclusives. It's more like a coexistence, not a 'war'.

#148 Posted by rilpas (8161 posts) -

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Pixel-Perfect"]

Lucianu

Nah, that's not true. The reason why the SNES/Genesis war is so memorable and legendary is because of those awesome commercials and the huge difference between the console (SNES games looked better but moved slower, Genesis looked worse and moved faster, the differences between their imagines, their exclusives, their overall library focus - Genesis Shumps & arcade games, SNES platformers, RPGs etc.) which kids these days still watch in amusement on Youtube.

There never was, and there will never be another gritty rivalry like Nintendo vs. SEGA. The PS3/360 are practically the same, with 0 imagine, with barely any exclusives. It's more like a coexistence, not a 'war'.

a very trolly coexistance, I mean just look at youtube fanboys :P

or neogaf

or heck, our very own system wars

this generation created people who have actually started counting the lines on their TV just so they can claim that one multiplat is superior to the other

people who claim ownage if their version runs at 1 FPS higher then the other version

and the youtube trolls... my god the youtube trolls

#149 Posted by jer_1 (7451 posts) -

SNES vs. Genesis was EASILY the better console era in my experience. While the PSX vs N64 era was a lot more interesting technology wise, there is no doubt that SNES vs. Genesis produced some of the best games that have ever graced this planet.

#150 Posted by Jag85 (5641 posts) -

[QUOTE="godzillavskong"][QUOTE="conkertheking1"] snes has a better version of doom. so what about shadowrunrilpas

Not sure why you feel the need to mention both console versions of Doom being inferior to the PC version... that's like complaining about how both console versions of Street Fighter or Mortal Kombat are inferior to the arcade originals.