PS4 Will Not Support External HDs

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Areez (6278 posts) -

If you were planning on connecting a 2-3 terabyte external HD to your PS4, well you are sh!t out of luck. Sony will not allow the use of external HDs but will allow you to swap out the internal HD so long as it meets certain requirements.

http://kotaku.com/ps4-wont-support-external-hard-drives-1455066760

Now correct if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the PS4 initially would allow you to do both?

#2 Edited by Ish_basic (3964 posts) -

Sometime in September Sony announced you couldn't play games from an external HDD. I don't know if you can use one for other media, but the faq makes that seem like a no.

#3 Posted by Randolph (10423 posts) -

Does the Xbone allow for use of external HDDs? I've heard conflicting reports on that one.

#4 Posted by c_rakestraw (14579 posts) -

As long as I can still swap the internal drive, I'm okay with this.

#5 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Randolph: The Xbox One will allow you to add am external HD via USB 3.0. However, this feature will not be available at launch.

#6 Posted by Pedro (21006 posts) -

MS and Sony needs to understand the concept of getting the basics correct. Sony = no external but swappable internal. MS = yes to external but no to swappable. Its the year 2013, we have the technology to EASILY accommodate both, why the hell isn't this a freaking standard?

#7 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Pedro:

Agreed. Or how about launch with a built in 1TB HD!

#8 Posted by Pedro (21006 posts) -

@Areez said:

@Pedro:

Agreed. Or how about launch with a built in 1TB HD!

Why do that when you can release a 1TB model 6-12 months from now? :o

#9 Edited by S0lidSnake (29001 posts) -

@Pedro said:

MS and Sony needs to understand the concept of getting the basics correct. Sony = no external but swappable internal. MS = yes to external but no to swappable. Its the year 2013, we have the technology to EASILY accommodate both, why the hell isn't this a freaking standard?

It definitely sounds like a stupid thing to omit. But If had to guess it would be due to the HDD streaming most next gen games are using. How fast are USB reads anyway? Faster than HDD?

Every next gen game is going to be installed on the HDD. Even games that come on Bluray.

#10 Posted by Areez (6278 posts) -

@Pedro: True. And charge us an additional 100 dollars for an upgrade. I have some deep concerns that MS is going to only allow for an Xbox brand external HD. That would be awful.

#11 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@Areez said:

@Pedro: True. And charge us an additional 100 dollars for an upgrade. I have some deep concerns that MS is going to only allow for an Xbox brand external HD. That would be awful.

Same as the PS3, any 2.5 inch drive can be placed into the PS4 and according to those who have done it the screws are a good deal bigger this time around (on the PS3 the screws were so small they were easy to strip).

#12 Posted by The_Last_Ride (69620 posts) -

If i am not mistaken they have said that a long time ago, but they will probably support external after a while unless this is a permanent solution. Xbox One is doing the same

#13 Posted by CarnageHeart (18316 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride:

They said no external HD support from the get go. IIRC Cerny stated that was because the connection was too slow to run games. However, it would still be nice to have the option just so that one could maybe have a game stored locally without having to download it again.

#14 Edited by The_Last_Ride (69620 posts) -

@The_Last_Ride:

They said no external HD support from the get go. IIRC Cerny stated that was because the connection was too slow to run games. However, it would still be nice to have the option just so that one could maybe have a game stored locally without having to download it again.

Yeah, but is this a permanent thing? Because it isn't new if they are only stating external from the launch.

#15 Edited by Black_Knight_00 (18177 posts) -

Any particular reason why you'd want to connect a hard drive to it?

#16 Posted by Sword-Demon (6928 posts) -
#17 Posted by Jacanuk (3856 posts) -

@Areez said:

If you were planning on connecting a 2-3 terabyte external HD to your PS4, well you are sh!t out of luck. Sony will not allow the use of external HDs but will allow you to swap out the internal HD so long as it meets certain requirements.

Now correct if I am wrong but I was under the impression that the PS4 initially would allow you to do both?

Ok, and?

So should this make me mad or happy? or run over to X1?

Anyways i say like someone else said before me, no one needs more than 2-5 games at a time.

#18 Posted by chaplainDMK (6668 posts) -

USB is too slow to really play games IIRC. You'd need a external SATA connection probably.

#19 Posted by Black_Knight_00 (18177 posts) -
#20 Edited by guynamedbilly (12919 posts) -

Before they were saying you couldn't install games onto an external drive. Now, if they are saying you can't even store movies, pictures or music, then that's pretty lame and crazy that it's not there. I asked him to clarify.

Edit: I guess this block answers my question. That's pretty crappy.

Will I be able to play background music while I play PS4 games?

Yes, the Music Unlimited streaming service will allow you to listen to music while you play PS4 games. A subscription to Music Unlimited is required. Get full details here.

Does PS4 include a music visualizer feature?

No.

Will I be able to play MP3s on PS4?

No.

Credit PS4 dude

#21 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

How much HD space will the Playstation 4 initially have?

#22 Posted by Pedro (21006 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

Ok, and?

Anyways i say like someone else said before me, no one needs more than 2-5 games at a time.

Seems like someone struck a nerve and special kind of nerve. I guess the fact the PS4 would be a missing a feature that exist on the PS3 is trivial to you but for others this can be a bit problematic.

#23 Edited by BranKetra (47788 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Areez said:

Ok, and?

I mean to be too forward. Who are you to speak for the interests of everyone?

#24 Posted by Pedro (21006 posts) -

Jacanuk like Sony knows whats best for you.

#25 Posted by Shame-usBlackley (18266 posts) -

As long as the internal drives aren't made expensive and don't require an engineering degree to replace (a la the PS3), I have no problem with this.

#26 Edited by BranKetra (47788 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@BranKetra said:

Jacanuk like Sony knows whats best for you.

I intended to put I do not mean to be too forward.

With that said, I disagree. I am actually currently switching between six games on the PS3 by itself. If games are good for the new generation, I might do the same. I would like that convenience.

#27 Posted by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

500 Gigs.

#28 Posted by Metamania (11964 posts) -

@Metamania said:

500 Gigs.

OK, 500 is a lot...so why need an external HD drive then? That's big right there, isn't it? Sorry if I'm not computer-savvy, compared to some of you, but that's a huge thing right there...although I can understand the need for more space.

#29 Posted by Jacanuk (3856 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@Areez said:

Ok, and?

I was talking to you and i still don't see a problem with the size of the hdd or the fact that it doesn't take external. So i was asking what is your point?

Also shouldn´t you put this in systemwars?

#30 Edited by BranKetra (47788 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Areez said:

Ok, and?

I was talking to you and i still don't see a problem with the size of the hdd or the fact that it doesn't take external. So i was asking what is your point?

Did you quote the correct user?

#31 Edited by IndianaPwns39 (5037 posts) -

@IndianaPwns39 said:

@Metamania said:

500 Gigs.

OK, 500 is a lot...so why need an external HD drive then? That's big right there, isn't it? Sorry if I'm not computer-savvy, compared to some of you, but that's a huge thing right there...although I can understand the need for more space.

500 Gigs was more than enough this gen. I replaced my internal drive on my PS3 with a 500 gig drive and I still have 100 gigs and I've downloaded a ton of stuff.

It's still a lot of room, but it might be more constricting this time around since it seems like games are going to be a bit bigger in install size. This may be concerning for those looking to download all their games. Still, it's still a decent size and it shouldn't be that tough to manage.

#32 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5639 posts) -

Ahh that sucks. Would rather just hook up an external than have to change the internal... oh well.

#33 Edited by guynamedbilly (12919 posts) -

500 is a lot if you don't plan on downloading anything or don't plan on keeping anything installed; like PS Plus games. It's not that much if you like to have things installed or plan on recording gameplay though. The game sizes they've been talking about are around 35 to 50 Gigs required to download games like Killzone and Battlefield. So that's around 10-12 games depending on how much the OS requires to stay available and how big things like savegame files, and screenshots are.

It will probably be fine if you are primarily going to buy disc based games and don't want instant access to your PS Plus games. That's not the kind of thing you want to have to say on the launch of a new console though; "it'll probably be fine if..."

#34 Edited by F1Lengend (7883 posts) -

Ahh that sucks. Would rather just hook up an external than have to change the internal... oh well.

Internal HDDs are way better, they are faster and you don't have an ugly secondary box on your wall unit. I doubt I'll need to swap one out considering my 120gig PS3 was sufficient but in the case its not, I'll be getting one of those fancy SSHDs on Amazon.

#35 Posted by Jacanuk (3856 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Areez said:

Ok, and?

Nope, and i see now that you were actually talking about the last sentence which you had put in bold, for min there i thought you were the OP.

Anyways in regards to that, nah i can't speak for everyone, but i can give my opinion and no one needs more than 2-5 games installed at a time, and if anyone needs to play a game, most have a connection which allows one to download most games in a few hours, but thats just my opinion.

#36 Edited by Archangel3371 (15248 posts) -

500 GBs will likely do me fine for most of if not all of next gen.

#37 Posted by iampenguin (223 posts) -

Was under the same impression.

Not happy about this, this will in now way change my mind about getting this console.

#38 Edited by BranKetra (47788 posts) -

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk said:

@BranKetra said:

@Jacanuk said:

@Areez said:

Ok, and?

Nope, and i see now that you were actually talking about the last sentence which you had put in bold, for min there i thought you were the OP.

Anyways in regards to that, nah i can't speak for everyone, but i can give my opinion and no one needs more than 2-5 games installed at a time, and if anyone needs to play a game, most have a connection which allows one to download most games in a few hours, but thats just my opinion.

Yes, I bolded the portion of your post to give some clarity about what I was replying to. I am not intending to give the impression that I am mean-spirited.

I am glad you clarified that. I thought you were being pretentious, but I now I know otherwise. What is acceptable for one person is sometimes so for another. In this situation, it is not. Five hundred gigabytes is a good start, but with digital downloads or rather the worldwide internet infrastructure upgrading worldwide, it will eventually be too little of an amount. Convenience is a very influential aspect of modern society affecting every part of it. It may surprise you how much being able to play more than a handful of games affects the use of consoles.

#39 Posted by Ish_basic (3964 posts) -

As long as the internal drives aren't made expensive and don't require an engineering degree to replace (a la the PS3), I have no problem with this.

There's already pictures on the net of how to do it. You slide the bottom plate off, then unscrew the HDD (which is right underneath the plate). Put your new HDD in and then repeat the first two steps in reverse. They couldn't have made it any easier.

#40 Edited by dotWithShoes (4823 posts) -

It will probably be fine if you are primarily going to buy disc based games and don't want instant access to your PS Plus games. That's not the kind of thing you want to have to say on the launch of a new console though; "it'll probably be fine if..."

You would think that, wouldn't you? Killzone Shadowfall required 45gb of disk space, in a DISC BASED version.